Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Use that Fusigone PPC to send out 540 meters of man-made death. Make Defiance Industries proud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Axe-man posted:

You know i can DFA you right? :v:

You need two legs to do that :colbert:. Although it would be awesome if you could do an awesome flying roundhouse kick with a single leg.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

You need two legs to do that :colbert:. Although it would be awesome if you could do an awesome flying roundhouse kick with a single leg.

you really don't need two legs for that actually ;)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

David Corbett posted:

This must be how the "Phantom Mech" phenomenon works in the novels.
You totally need to read the Warrior Trilogy. It's totally :wtc: what Morgan pulls.

Twice.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's only unstoppable because nobody's fired a single shot at it yet.

This is a Hussar

<snip>

It has two defenses: Speed, and people not shooting at it.

Maybe I should have equipped that post with a sarcastic smiley? That Hussar is made of tofu jelly and fitted with armor that ranges in thickness between soft tortilla and cannoli shell. It's a glass cannon carrying a single nasty weapon, but if you can get behind it, the son of a gun is deep-fat-fried.

The Kuritans must be really short on 'mechs to have fielded this poor bastard. If you tag him with just about anything he's screwed.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

you really don't need two legs for that actually ;)

I figured you might want to actually land the jump, but I guess self preservation isn't your strong point. I wholeheartedly endorse this plan of action.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pladdicus posted:

My reasoning was thusly, if they're between us and the dropship, and they run, what gets discovered?

I don't know if that's a bad thing, but well, that's the way I figured it.

It's not like they don't know we are here. They also know we have a dropship, that's how we'd get here. They also likely know roughly where the drop ship is, what with sending a recon patrol in it's general direction.

We don't have to actually kill the guy to stop him from getting a visual on the dropship - the drop ship is vomiting out assault and heavy mechs. All we realistically have to do is stay in contact with their recon force - then when the hussar approaches the dropship, we tell the assault mechs where the Hussar is coming from and BLAM, he's stuck between an atlas and us and dies.

Plus it's a pretty successful counter recon battle if we kill three of their mechs, two of their scout vehicles and escape with 1 damaged mech, 1 with armor hits, and 2 unscratched mechs. Losing a mech makes the exchange look much worse.

Edit: Ultimately, the above is so many words. Yeah, I agree the Hussar is really weak and if we can land hits we can blow it to pieces, but it's really, really hard to hit :P

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's not like they don't know we are here. They also know we have a dropship, that's how we'd get here. They also likely know roughly where the drop ship is, what with sending a recon patrol in it's general direction.

We don't have to actually kill the guy to stop him from getting a visual on the dropship - the drop ship is vomiting out assault and heavy mechs. All we realistically have to do is stay in contact with their recon force - then when the hussar approaches the dropship, we tell the assault mechs where the Hussar is coming from and BLAM, he's stuck between an atlas and us and dies.

Plus it's a pretty successful counter recon battle if we kill three of their mechs, two of their scout vehicles and escape with 1 damaged mech, 1 with armor hits, and 2 unscratched mechs. Losing a mech makes the exchange look much worse.

Edit: Ultimately, the above is so many words. Yeah, I agree the Hussar is really weak and if we can land hits we can blow it to pieces, but it's really, really hard to hit :P

Sure they know that we are here and that we probably have a dropship somewhere, but they currently have no idea of what other forces are in theater. They have no idea who they face and in what strength. The longer we keep the 9th from knowing they face Kell Hounds in regimental strength, the more successful our mission. Nothing short of an assault lance will reach our dropship if I have any say in the matter :colbert:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Sure they know that we are here and that we probably have a dropship somewhere, but they currently have no idea of what other forces are in theater. They have no idea who they face and in what strength. The longer we keep the 9th from knowing they face Kell Hounds in regimental strength, the more successful our mission. Nothing short of an assault lance will reach our dropship if I have any say in the matter :colbert:

Again, they won't discover that from leaking one Hussar. If we do, we should stay in contact, then screening force elements will kill him.

Not that leaking one Hussar is even a risk, because he could have run away last turn, but didn't ;P

More importantly: If we trash OUR recon elements, we're going to have NFI what we are fighting. We're like 6% of total Kell Hounds forces in the fields, so getting one of our dudes fragged is a reduction in forces you are going to notice.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 1, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

I figured you might want to actually land the jump, but I guess self preservation isn't your strong point. I wholeheartedly endorse this plan of action.

all i need to do is use skill to stay up

I've actually fought a clan rite fight like that, lost my leg first round, hopped around and ended up DFAing the other guy and still lived

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Sadly, there is another leg that I wish to shear off right now.

*whistles innocently*

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

*whistles innocently*

God damnit PTN.

:f5:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

PoptartsNinja posted:

*whistles innocently*

I've learned to despise these coy mini-updates. They always signal that something immensely interesting is going to happen about an hour after I have to go to sleep.

Edit: And imagining Korvat whistling innocently while maintain an absolutely straight face is an amusing and disturbing mental image.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 1, 2011

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PoptartsNinja posted:

*whistles innocently*

Is this the part where you say, "drat, you guys are lucky" and show that 15 LRMs hit on a single leg? Or we slagged all the weapons on a mech?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Slaan posted:

Is this the part where you say, "drat, you guys are lucky" and show that 15 LRMs hit on a single leg? Or we slagged all the weapons on a mech?

This is when the Dragon get's its leg blown off, falls down, and causes a rift that opens into an underground cave that swallows the griffin, and contains a hidden store of lostech, which the Kell Hounds use to hunt down every Kurita mechwarrior on the planet to avenge their fallen comrade.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Arquinsiel posted:

You totally need to read the Warrior Trilogy. It's totally :wtc: what Morgan pulls.

Twice.

I bought and read the first book, but never managed to get my hands on the next two. I've wanted to read them ever since... do you know if anyone's still selling them?

E: Well, they're in the mail now... time to see if they're as silly as the first one.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 1, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

elitebuster posted:

This is when the Dragon get's its leg blown off, falls down, and causes a rift that opens into an underground cave that swallows the griffin, and contains a hidden store of lostech, which the Kell Hounds use to hunt down every Kurita mechwarrior on the planet to avenge their fallen comrade.

The only happens on rolls of 1 : (

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

The only happens on rolls of 1 : (

And since he's rolling 2D6, that's unlikely.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Hussar shoots the Blackjack in the head. Critical hit to the cockpit.

In the melee phase the Hussar kicks in the Vulcan's torso causing the MG ammo to explode.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Unfortunately, they doesn't feel that improbable? I am totally in :ohdear: mode right now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Kell Hounds: Cylene Tactical Update 9

Combat Results:
A Griffin
Fires PPC at K4 (3 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 6): Rolled 6, hit (Right Leg blown off, 8/16 armor remaining in Right Torso)!
Fires LRM10 at K4 (3 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 6): Rolled 5, miss!
Generates 14 heat, sinks 12. Now at 4 residual heat.

B Blackjack
Fires large laser at K1 (4 base + 0 stationary + 4 enemy movement + 2 medium range = 10): Rolled 6, miss!
Fires large laser at K1 (4 base + 0 stationary + 4 enemy movement + 2 medium range = 10): Rolled 9, miss!
Generates 16 heat, sinks 17. Now at 3 residual heat.

C Vulcan
Fires medium laser at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 11, hit (0/2 armor 4/7 structure remaining on Left Leg)! Critical chance!
Fires medium laser at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 3, miss!
Fires flamer at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 12, hit (2/4 armor remaining on center torso)!
Fires machine gun at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 10, miss!
Generates 11 heat, sinks 12. Now at 0 residual heat.

D Jenner
Generates 1 heat, sinks 10. now at 3 residual heat. Movement and to-hit penalties end.

K1 Hussar
Fires Large Laser at B Blackjack (2 base + 2 ran + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range = 6): Rolled 8, hit (6/14 armor remaining on right leg)!
Generates 10 heat, sinks 10.

K2 Spider
Fires Medium Laser at C Vulcan (5 base + 3 jumped + 3 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 10, miss!
Generates 5 heat, sinks 10.

K4 Dragon
Fires LRM 10 at A Griffin (4 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 7): Rolled 4, miss!
Fires Autocannon 5 at A Griffin (4 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 7): Rolled 8, hit (8/20 armor remaining on center torso)!
Generates 6 heat, sinks 10.

Critical Chances
K1 Hussar 1 critical sustained in left leg! Lower Leg Actuator destroyed!
K1 Hussar piloting roll (5 base + 1 destroyed leg actuator = 6): Rolled 7, remains standing!

Combat Results
K4 Dragon falls into hex 1914! 2/16 armor remains on RT!
K4 Dragon disabled!

Physical Combat
C Vulcan kicks K1 Hussar (5 base - 2 kick + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement = 10): Rolled 4, miss!
C Vulcan makes a piloting check to avoid falling (5 base + 2 made kick attack = 7): Rolled 8, succeeds!

“Mechwarrior St. Croix,” Yoshita’s voice was garbled badly by his ‘Mech’s heat. “Fall back and draw the enemy ‘Mechs—”

“I’m gonna KILL this drac sonnovabitch!” Sandra screamed into her headset, kicking her ‘Mech into a furious jump that stunned Desmond into immobility. With the damage to her ‘Mech, Desmond thought her actions unwise, but quickly shifted his aim. His lasers cut through the air on either side of the Hussar, slowing its high-speed turn even as St. Croix came down beside it.

Her landing was clumsy, it didn’t matter—she bathed the hussar in plasma from her 'Mech's anti-infantry flamer, and burned a man-sized hole in its left leg with a lucky hit from her laser. Her curses filled the commlines with clutter, even though she’d have been cursing at Desmond for doing the same. Yoshita’s Jenner pulled up behind, in the lee of the mountains. Desmond thought Yoshita looked ready to counter the Hussar’s next move.

“Ha!” Lt. Barnes cut through St. Croix’s curses, his Griffin half-dancing (and nearly taking a fall on Desmond’s head for its trouble). “One Kurita Dragon, now doing double service as a Submarine! The DCMS’ll have to pay Tai-i double!”

Turn 10 OpForce Movement:
K1 HSR-300-D Hussar backs up to 1901
K2 SDR-5K Spider walks to 1105

Enemy Forces
K1 HSR-300-D Hussar
K2 SDR-5K Spider

Victory Condition: Disable or Destroy both J. Edgar hovertanks (complete!)
Optional Secondary Condition: Disable or Destroy all House Kurita ‘mech forces (2/4)

Kell Hounds ’Mech Status
A GRF-1N Griffin (KnoxZone)
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 20/20 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 8/20 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 20/20 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 9/14 (9/9)
RA A(S): 13/14 (9/9)
LL A(S): 13/18 (13/13)
RL A(S): 14/18 (13/13)
Heat: 4/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 6, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 21, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands—may punch with either arm (may not punch with right arm if PPC is fired)

B BJ-1DB Blackjack (Axe-man)
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 16/16 (14/14)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
RA A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
LL A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
RL A(S): 6/14 (11/11)
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5 Min:), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or actuators —may not punch with either arm (may fire arm-mounted weapons into the rear arc)

C VLT-5T Vulcan (Pladdicus)
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 7/12 (10/10)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 9/15 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 0/12 (5/10)
RT R A(S): 0/4
LA A(S): 11/11 (6/6)
RA A(S): 7/11 (6/6)
LL A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RL A(S): 9/14 (10/10)
Heat: 0/30
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 6/9/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Status: Lightly Injured (sprained back)
Armament:
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: DESTROYED!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: DESTROYED!)
Flamer – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LA (Heat: 0, Ammo: 196, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands—may punch with either arm at increased risk of self-damage

D JR7-D Jenner (Cthulhu Dreams)
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 7/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 10/10 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
RA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
LL A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
RL A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
Overheat Penalty: None!
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 7/11/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 22, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or actuators —may not punch with either arm (may fire arm-mounted weapons into the rear arc)

Enemy ‘Mech Status
K1 HSR-300-D Hussar
Walked: 6
Damage: Lower Leg Actuator Destroyed (movement reduced to 8/12/0)
Armament: Large Laser

K2 SDR-5K Spider
Walked: 5
Damage: None
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 machine guns

K3 JR7-D Jenner

K4 DRG-1N Dragon
Status: Serving double duty as a submarine (counts as rough terrain)

K5 J. Edgar light hover tank

K6 J. Edgar light hover tank

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 9, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Fortune favors the bold.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

:smug:

Heeeeellll yeaaaah. :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I need to take a moment to say how stupidly lucky you guys were in regards to that dragon. Nearly every dice I rolled was a hit to the right leg. That really shouldn't have happened. :3:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Pladdicus, you are a Real Davion Hero. :patriot:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Holy god drat, Pladdicus you are one lucky son of a bitch.

Now give chase and kill!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I need to take a moment to say how stupidly lucky you guys were in regards to that dragon. Nearly every dice I rolled was a hit to the right leg. That really shouldn't have happened. :3:

I was perfectly aiming my shots on a concealed target half the map away and hitting the same spot every time. In a world where Kai Allard-Liao was never born, Lieutenant Kearney Barnes has taken the role of invincible perfect mechwarrior for himself :smug:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

So now the real question is: Do we get to take the Dragon as salvage and use it in future missions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And twice in a row hit for max damage with a missile launcher (only happens if I roll 11 or 12 on the missile table).

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I know that i helped draw some fire even though i took a LL to the leg, We still got our vulcan in there :3:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Moving into 1801 and unleashing hell again. You guys deal with the one behind me, as if a flank with one medium laser is really scary at 6 hex distance

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
See now this is what i'm talking about! we still have armor people lets use it for what it was meant for :cool:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Moving into 1801 and unleashing hell again. You guys deal with the one behind me, as if a flank with one medium laser is really scary at 6 hex distance

I will provide some fire support. The Jenner and Blackjack should be able to take down the Spider. With a little luck we could take down both enemy mechs this next turn.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

I will provide some fire support. The Jenner and Blackjack should be able to take down the Spider. With a little luck we could take down both enemy mechs this next turn.

I don't say this often but props to a CO worth a drat on the battlefield Hurrah!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Alternative, I could just hop behind the guy, because it'd be a guaranteed kill, but eff that poo poo, I'm bringing the Hussar down.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

So now the real question is: Do we get to take the Dragon as salvage and use it in future missions?

It might be hard to dredge it out of the river, and it will be full of water. However, that would be a big win.

Overall, that worked a lot better than expected. I feel like we got bullshit lucky, but hey, lets roll with that. Wait, we did get bullshit lucky, that was astonishingly good shooting by the Vulcan.

In other news, that Hussar is hosed. I'm going to run to 0806 and drill him. in the principle of there being no such thing as overkill, maybe one of the other two lucky bastards can shoot it as well?

Movement Orders:

Jenner (D) will Run:

* 0609 (2 cost)
* 0608 (2 cost)
* 0607 (1 cost)
* Turn to face 0707 (1 cost)
* Move to 0707 (1 cost)
* Move to 0806 (1 cost)
* Move to 0906 (1 cost)

Total movement cost 9

Fires:

4 x Medium Laser @ Spider(K2, 1105)
1 x SRM @ Spider (K2, 1105)

Commanders intent:

Drill the Spider as much as possible.

Edit: I have Hussars on the brain.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 1, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man, I must've been tired when I moved the hussar. A single charge attack would push it off the map (counts as an automatic kill) >_>

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

...tell me more about this 'charge'

And does it count in universe as a kill?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Man, I must've been tired when I moved the hussar. A single charge attack would push it off the map (counts as an automatic kill) >_>

That feels so gamist :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

...tell me more about this 'charge'

And does it count in universe as a kill?

you can i believe fire no weapons and do no physical attacks you literally charge at him trying to bang into him like a football player. You can also "push" mechs during the physical phase. :v:

• Locked thread