Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elmo Oxygen posted:

:smith:

To be honest, that doesn't surprise me.

KQ8 was basically a mediocre Zelda clone with everything done in shades of brown. It wasn't a good game, but it was a very accessible one, and it bears the inexplicably-but-consistently-revered King's Quest name.

Grim Fandango, though, wasn't a recognized series (although granted "by the creators of Monkey Island" probably carries much weight) and had a much weirder setting and premise (and an amazingly poo poo-awful control scheme).

Also, purely anecdotally, I remember seeing a shitload of advertising for KQ8, whereas Grim Fandango I heard basically nothing about and, in fact, thought was some sort of brawler until 2005 or so when I got back into adventure gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I have to say the Sierra stuff couldn't totally be a scam. I completed Police Quest 1 and 2 without spoilers and paid dearly for it. I had to restart each of them countless times, but the good thing about those was that you could really blow through set pieces you've encountered before. What works against KQ5 is that you have to work and wait to get to a lot of those set pieces. At least, that's what it seems like to me.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I don't believe Williams' ego-tripping about bringing in new gamers. She had a larger marketing budget but the type of people who bought Kings Quest 8 were not so diverse from the type that would have bought Grim Fandango, even though it was one of the worst KQ games. Most PC gamers in 1998 read at least one magazine (sales versus magazine distribution numbers at the time). Grim Fandango was reviewed as a classic, people still didn't buy it, despite every point and clicker being compared to it for years to come.

Just one of those lovely inexplicable cases where people shy away from a slightly quirky game.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

AxeManiac posted:

This is like utterly horrible news. On all fronts, that so many people purchased Mask of Eternity, that Grim Fandango didn't beat it and that Roberta "Cat Hair Beard" Williams thinks this is a good thing.

To be fair, Roberta Williams had nothing to do with cat hair beard, that was the Gabriel Knight series.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
90,000 copies of grim fandango were sold in the year of it's release.

90,000. Saddest game failure ever, it really, really deserves a bigger audience.

EDIT: MAN I just booted the game up and the level of presentation and writing is so far beyond the majority of games even today.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 1, 2011

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
on the subject of NES games:

Contra - fast, not too hard, fun co-op
Castlevania 3 - lots of branching paths, pretty hard but not ridiculous

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Amethyst posted:

90,000. Saddest game failure ever, it really, really deserves a bigger audience.

The Last Express sold a hilariously low amount, IIRC

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just wanna say I bought The Last Express the moment I saw it on gog and now I have a whopping 2 examples of incredible games made more incredible by having scripted events that happen on a timeline whether you like it or not (thanks Star Control 2 for existing) this game is the poo poo and everyone who ever liked anything good should buy it play it and love it peace out

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Drox posted:

Am I missing any big ones? There are lots of games that I like, both currently and formerly, but I'm not sure they'd all stand up as "good" games anymore. For instance, I love the heck out of The Guardian Legend, but it suffered from a lot of the limitations of the time.

- Star Tropics (still haven't played the sequel)
- Metal Gear (unless you insist on the MSX original that is)
- Duck Tales
- Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers

Games I simply liked that might not be favorites of others:
- Power Blade
- Shatterhand
- Nintendo World Cup (a Tecmo game really)
- Vice: Project Doom
- The Ninja Gaiden games are a tough call because they're mercilessly hard and I've never beaten any of the original three. Good production though.
- Most of the vertical/horizontal shooters were arcade ports that MAME and console re-releases have invalidated

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I forgot the first four, but it is debatable as to whether or not Metal Gear is an actual good game and besides, yes, it is not an "NES" game.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I just wanna say I bought The Last Express the moment I saw it on gog and now I have a whopping 2 examples of incredible games made more incredible by having scripted events that happen on a timeline whether you like it or not (thanks Star Control 2 for existing) this game is the poo poo and everyone who ever liked anything good should buy it play it and love it peace out

This. I only played about an hour and was amazed by the story, voice acting and originality. Awesome game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of adventure games, new release! Return to Zork. $6. Has graphics.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Kins posted:

Speaking of adventure games, new release! Return to Zork. $6. Has graphics.

"Want some rye? 'Course ya do!"

I can still hear it. I last played that game when I was 8. I can still hear that voice.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
gently caress you Return to Zork. gently caress you so hard.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

Gonkish posted:

"Want some rye? 'Course ya do!"

I can still hear it. I last played that game when I was 8. I can still hear that voice.

"Here's to us! Who's like us? drat few! And they're all dead!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

al-azad posted:

But we've embraced the bullshit design and turned it into a masochistic sub-genre of its own. Super Meat Boy and I Wanna Be the Guy wouldn't be as popular as they are if it weren't for trying to make that one loving jump in TMNT or getting past the speed bike part in Battletoads.

Well, first, what's this "we" stuff? Super-hard platforming is not a universally loved thing. Although, uhhh, I love it, so I guess I shouldn't complain...

Second, Super Meat Boy is a brilliantly designed game which has a million key differences from Battletoads that make it much far less punishing and "bullshit." You have infinite lives; when you die, you're able to start over in less than a second; it takes less than a minute to finish almost every level; there's tons of optional challenges that let you customize your own level of difficulty.

There was something that made some people try to push themselves through TMNT, Ninja Gaiden, or Battletoads. I did not have that thing, yet I enjoyed VVVVV a lot, and a bunch of other random indie releases on a similar theme. Have I changed? Or are the games better?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

There was something that made some people try to push themselves through TMNT, Ninja Gaiden, or Battletoads. I did not have that thing, yet I enjoyed VVVVV a lot, and a bunch of other random indie releases on a similar theme. Have I changed? Or are the games better?

I would be willing to lose every memory of playing those horseshit games if I could've had Super Meat Boy in 1994.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Amethyst posted:

EDIT: MAN I just booted the game up and the level of presentation and writing is so far beyond the majority of games even today.

It's strange that some of the best games to come out of the early noughties and nineties for PC were despite being critically acclaimed struggled commercially. Sacrifice, Freespace, Arcanum, etc

And yet there's still people buying them now realising just how much they missed out on

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

So how does Return to Zork play? Is it a traditional point and click with an inventory and item combination or is it slideshowy like Myst. I never gave it more than 10 minutes during my GameTap days, but have always been interested.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
The NES had some good games, but it definitely was in that whole arcade>home transition period where games just were a bitch because that was the norm. I've seen some really good ones mentioned already, but no mention of:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 & 3 - Some of the best beat em ups of the era, lots of fun in Co-op. gently caress Turtles 1.

River City Ransom - The first hybrid of beat em up and rpg and I'm actually surprised how long it took for people to pick up on this. This game was all sorts of awesome.

I've seen some very nice games mentioned on this list. The NES is a real iffy point for me. It was my first console, not that I played a ton of its games while I had the system, it's mostly been through emulation. I developed a hatred for Mario on the NES, which all started in World 8-1/8-2 and lasted oh I dunno probably until a few years back when Smash Bros came out and you could beat the poo poo out of Mario. Paperboy is a game I always wanted to love, played a poo poo of on the NES and ALWAYS sucked at. Even now, you'd think, hey I'm older, I'm smarter, better at games, I'm gonna play some Paperboy. About 5mins later: gently caress this game, gently caress the NES, I'm gonna play the Genesis or SNES.

Edit: I can't speeel.

vvv: Yeah I really wished that game came out for a system I owned. I did at least enjoy the RCR game on the GBA/DS tho.

Bats fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 1, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Scott Pilgrim game is an obvious tribute to River City Random though it doesn't seem quite as deep. I haven't spent enough time with it yet but the action is good.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hussar posted:

So how does Return to Zork play? Is it a traditional point and click with an inventory and item combination or is it slideshowy like Myst. I never gave it more than 10 minutes during my GameTap days, but have always been interested.

As someone who used to be a GameTap fanatic before they went downhill, I'm dead certain GT never had Return to Zork. They had Zork Grand Inquisitor, which came afterwards.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

macnbc posted:

As someone who used to be a GameTap fanatic before they went downhill, I'm dead certain GT never had Return to Zork. They had Zork Grand Inquisitor, which came afterwards.

You're right, that's the one I was thinking of. Though I'm sure we had Return to Zork in house and I had to play it for one reason or another. Does Return play similar to Grand Inquisitor, because I don't have fond memories of that game.

edit: Whoa, were you on the official Gtap forums with the same username? I swear i recognize it.

Hussar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 1, 2011

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Coolio posted:

I super doubt Kings Quest V (and the series in general) was so obtuse because they wanted to make people go to hint lines. Earlier text adventures for example never had them and were even less forgiving, and by the time KQV was out there already existed online communities that had hints. Being able to make the game unwinnable by design was just how things were back in the day.

Also KQV was the best selling game of all time when it came out and Sierra was wildly successful before. I doubt hint lines were an integral part of their model.

You might doubt it, but it's true. It's been stated pretty reliably in the past (i.e. by former Sierra people) that the company often sold more hintbooks than actual copies of the games they were for. Piracy was really easy back then.

The only Sierra series I was able to complete without resorting to outside help was the Quest for Glory series, which was always a weird sort of outlier. And by far the best series.

leebenningfield
Dec 11, 2004

This is Leviathan? This is your fucking guy?

ElProducto posted:

There's a great scene in Icewind Dale 2 that uses this. There's a dead cat in a warehouse early in the game and you can pick it up. If you hold on to it until you run into a certain party in the same area, the leader notices it and the conversation that ensues goes something like this -

Him: What are you carrying around a dead cat for?
You: I was hoping it would be the answer to someone's problem and I could learn something from the experience.

Then he tells you you're nuts and you better drop it before you get worse.

The best part is that the dead cat actually is a quest item that you didn't know about yet.

A friend of mine told me a story about the use he found for the dead cat; before talking to that NPC or getting the quest, he dropped it in an area that was particularly maze-like and difficult to navigate. He said "I knew that if I got lost, all I would have to to was look for the dead cat and I could find my way from there."

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Hussar posted:

It's slideshowy like Myst. It's also one of those "do something wrong and you're hosed and have to start over" games in the fine tradition of Sierra. I somehow managed to finish it back in the day but it had a ton of bullshit moments.

However, I am tempted to buy it simply so I can re-experience "Want some rye? 'Course you do" again. It's the one part of that game that everyone remembers. It's also one of Return to Zork's first bullshit puzzles that I got stuck on.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ElProducto posted:

"Here's to us! Who's like us? drat few! And they're all dead!"
We greet the new year every year with that toast.

"I need a new battery. Can you hear me? A NEW BATTERY!"

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's slideshowy like Myst. It's also one of those "do something wrong and you're hosed and have to start over" games in the fine tradition of Sierra. I somehow managed to finish it back in the day but it had a ton of bullshit moments.

However, I am tempted to buy it simply so I can re-experience "Want some rye? 'Course you do" again. It's the one part of that game that everyone remembers. It's also one of Return to Zork's first bullshit puzzles that I got stuck on.

Thanks, I'll stay away this title then. Still have a few cartoony point and clicks to finish on steam and I don't think I can handle any game that reminds me of Myst for the next decade.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nanpa posted:

It's strange that some of the best games to come out of the early noughties and nineties for PC were despite being critically acclaimed struggled commercially. Sacrifice, Freespace, Arcanum, etc

And yet there's still people buying them now realising just how much they missed out on

I think the issue with all of these games is that they're A) Unique/niche ideas that are hard to compare to more popular titles to give the mainstream crowd some idea of what they're like, and B) They weren't very well marketed so even people who would have liked them might not even have heard of them. Publishers have problems spending too much on original game ideas because they hate taking risks. And of course, the lack of marketing support means the game flops and justifies their belief that the game was a poor investment.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Buff Butler posted:

You might doubt it, but it's true. It's been stated pretty reliably in the past (i.e. by former Sierra people) that the company often sold more hintbooks than actual copies of the games they were for. Piracy was really easy back then.

Also $50-60 in 1983 money, for a text adventure, was a lot of money.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why was Obscure pulled from GOG?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Return to Zork? Never heard of it.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why was Obscure pulled from GOG?

Don't know who the publisher is, but my best guess would be that either the Licensing Agreement ended or somebody is in legal trouble and asked that all their games be pulled. This poo poo happens all to often.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Actually, back in those days 100,000 units was a modest success. It's only in recent years that games have been expected to be million plus sellers to be successful.

I-War/Independence War (also on GOG, buy them now!) sold around 150,000 copies back around 1997/1998, with not especially impressive marketing - at least in Europe, the US re-release was handled much better with amazing box art and adverts - and that was enough to greenlight a sequel.

Of course the sequel arrived just as the bottom dropped out of the space-sim market, so it didn't even sell that much despite being well reviewed, possibly partly due to an almost invisible marketing campaign and a terrible box design that didn't give you any idea of what the game really was.

It'd be interesting to see how many copies have been sold on GOG so far.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The Last Express sold a hilariously low amount, IIRC

The Last Express came out just as Borderbund was bought out with stock options by the Learning Company. The marketing department quit just before the game was released. There was little fanfare or advertisement for the game, and the Learning Company didn't want to do anything with the title so the initial print run of 100,000 units were all that were produced if I remember right. Just enough to break even on the four year development time and costs.

edit: Broderbund probably got out with a decent chunk of change for the small amount of games it published or designed, 420 million in 1997/98 was nothing to scoff at.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 1, 2011

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Return to zork easily has the most illogical, unfair puzzles I've ever seen in an adventure game, even worse than the king's quest games.

One puzzle, where you have to cross a bridge over a chazm of lava, requires you to throw your entire inventory into the lava. This stops the bridge collapsing somehow. Missed a single item from anywhere in the game before that? gently caress you, start again!

This is the only game that made me waste money on a hint line.

EDIT: Zork Nemesis and Grand Inquisitor are, on the other hand, really great games. Nemesis in particular is one of the most atmospheric games I've played, although the interlaced graphics may detract from that now.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 1, 2011

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I believe I rang the Simon the Sorceror II hint line once. That game had its fair share of quite ridiculously absurd puzzles. All I can remember is 'if you would like help with removing the troll from the bridge, press 2', and the fact that the hint line actually tried to dissuade you from asking for hints when you rang up.

Ah, hint lines.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Return to zork easily has the most illogical, unfair puzzles I've ever seen in an adventure game, even worse than the king's quest games.

One puzzle, where you have to cross a bridge over a chazm of lava, requires you to throw your entire inventory into the lava. This stops the bridge collapsing somehow. Missed a single item from anywhere in the game before that? gently caress you, start again!

This is the only game that made me waste money on a hint line.

EDIT: Zork Nemesis and Grand Inquisitor are, on the other hand, really great games. Nemesis in particular is one of the most atmospheric games I've played, although the interlaced graphics may detract from that now.

That sounds a lot like the same trick they used at the end of the HHGTTG game, where if you missed any item in the game (including stuff from your house in the very beginning, which you have a time limit on gathering since if you take too long you get killed by a bulldozer), Marvin will ask you for it at the very end (if you did everything right, he asks you for something specific that you will actually have).

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bats posted:

River City Ransom - The first hybrid of beat em up and rpg and I'm actually surprised how long it took for people to pick up on this. This game was all sorts of awesome.

I mentioned this when I made the first part of "the list." Just sayin. :shobon:

RCR ruled. It still does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Amethyst posted:

I don't think I got that far. I gave up on it after deadending again (something about picking up a bra), and that ridiculous sliding block puzzle.

Also, if you don't pick up a flower at the beginning of the game, and store it properly, you're hosed.