Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Charge: Run in a straight line. Ram the target. You can't shoot, but it can shoot you (and you end your turn in the 'same hex' (so range 0). I really can't advise it, but if you hit it'd be an instant-win.

The hussar's armor is so weak you're probably better shooting it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

That feels so gamist :(

As long as it's redeemed in game somehow, I wouldn't mind trying it. Otherwise, I'd have to shoot it to death, uncool otherwise.

Edit: Shooting it is!

Edit2:The question now is, do I kick? I'd really hate to lose this because of a bad kick that sent me falling on to my ammo or something.

Edit3: As far as I can figure, it'd be a 7 to hit, and then a 7 pilot check if it fails, giving me a 50% chance of good 25% of nothing and 25% of bad.

Hmmm (I think anyway, my math is terrible)

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 1, 2011

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Man, I wish I'd found this thread like a million years ago.

Also, beat the poo poo out of those Dracs. God Save the Prince, boys. And then one of you guys needs to get yourselves an Ostsol somehow. Goddamn I loved those things for 3025 work.

Pladdicus posted:

...tell me more about this 'charge'

And does it count in universe as a kill?

You run into it. Base to-hit is your piloting, modified by the difference between your piloting and the target's, plus any other move/terrain/etc. modifiers that would normally apply to physicals. If you hit, you deal damage plus move into its hex, and push the target back a hex. Mechs being pushed off the map are removed from the scenario (not really killed, though; but it does prevent edge-camping).

It's especially fun when you do it to an opposing player who a. doesn't know that it removes the mech from the game, or b. does know, but really hates the rule and flies into a ridiculous tirade about it, ignoring the fact that he was being boring by edge-camping anyway.

I've always wondered though - for stuff like this, where it's an "actual" scenario rather than a league or whatever, how exactly do you explain what happens when units get pushed/charged/DFA'd off the map?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Basically, as long as you end your turn adjacent to and facing an enemy mech, you can kick once the shooting phase is resolved. Melee attacks always happen after shooting.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've finally figured out MegaMek. By the time the list gets down to me, I should be a pro at this. So go ahead and add me to the roster. grabbed

Slaan fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 27, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

Basically, as long as you end your turn adjacent to and facing an enemy mech, you can kick once the shooting phase is resolved. Melee attacks always happen after shooting.

I know about kicking, just wondering if it's worth it. My kick deals tonnage/5 damage(8 in this case) which would be pretty devastating. Yeah. Ima go for it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

I've always wondered though - for stuff like this, where it's an "actual" scenario rather than a league or whatever, how exactly do you explain what happens when units get pushed/charged/DFA'd off the map?

Intentionally left the map for any reason and the 'Mech still functions. Forced off and it was forced into some heavy terrain and severely damaged by rocks / trees / infantry / running water / Nekekami Ninjas, but limps back to its forces later.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
order in and ready, now that we are being more aggressive, i don't have to hide the fact that i want to at least take one shot a turn unless over heating or out of range :ssh:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

KnoxZone posted:

I was perfectly aiming my shots on a concealed target half the map away and hitting the same spot every time. In a world where Kai Allard-Liao was never born, Lieutenant Kearney Barnes has taken the role of invincible perfect mechwarrior for himself :smug:

If Phelan Kell does not exist, there is a :smug: vacuum in the Kell Hounds that needs to be filled. Patrick can't do it all himself!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^^^ He doesn't, since he was a pseudo-trueborn grown by Wolf's Dragoons. Morgan Kell and Salome Ward-Kell can't have children on their own.

At this point, the only threat from overheating and forced shutdowns is potentially eating a Spider cannonball. Oh no, not six whole damage!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Orders sent as well. Let us pray on the dice rolls.

Edit: Question, will we be 'owning' the mech pilots we currently control, or will their owners be cycled between.

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010

Slaan posted:

I've finally figured out MegaMek. By the time the list gets down to me, I should be a pro at this. So go ahead and add me to the roster. scimitark at g m a i l .com

I've been screwing around with MegaMek two, so I might as well through my hat in the ring.

I have PM.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Orders sent as well. Let us pray on the dice rolls.

Edit: Question, will we be 'owning' the mech pilots we currently control, or will their owners be cycled between.

I'm not sure how PTN will play it but usually, the merc group owns the mech and instead just gives you the one you have either earned or fit your abilities.

gah i didn't read that right, i hope so cause it sounds like the scale of the lets play is massive :3:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 1, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I'm not sure how PTN will play it but usually, the merc group owns the mech and instead just gives you the one you have either earned or fit your abilities.

What I meant is that, the characters, do they belong to us? or are they just our puppets for the current battle, and will other forumgoers will represent them in other battles?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're just puppets BUT I intend to cycle through theaters of war pretty quick along with a meta-narrative. We'll actually get another vote as soon as the current battle ends, since something big was just announced (even though the Kell Hounds don't know it yet).

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
It's been bugging me for awhile now so I went back and tallied up all the dice rolls that PTN has posted. Out of 81 rolls only 5 of them have been 7s. :psyduck: The only number that's come up less often is 2. If you add in the sustained critical rolls that PTN doesn't supply then the ratio of 7s drops even further. Luckily most of the dice rolls have gone our way but we'll see if the trend continues in the future.

PoptartsNinja, could you make a list of house rules you're using for the scenario? The ones I know of so far are:
1. Vehicles change levels at 1MP (just like mechs).
2. Jumping into forest forces PSR.
3. Falling from damage changes hexes. (Is the falling location based on original facing or facing after the fall?)

Fraction Jackson posted:

Much like blood bowl, just outside the field of battle are mechs cheering on the combatants. Any mech that gets pushed off the field gets attacked by fans and suffers enough damage that it can no longer return to the fight.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 1, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Longinus00 posted:

It's been bugging me for awhile now so I went back and tallied up all the dice rolls that PTN has posted. Out of 81 rolls only 5 of them have been 7s. :psyduck: The only number that's come up less often is 2. If you add in the sustained critical rolls that PTN doesn't supply then the ratio of 7s drops even further. Luckily most of the dice rolls have gone our way but we'll see if the trend continues in the future.

I never roll average. I always roll high or low, but I do so consistently with the same dice so I know they're not loaded; I just have horribly streaky luck. I also don't roll any number between 6 and 16 on d20s. It's either 1-5 or 17-19 (never 20s, heh).

Longinus00 posted:

PoptartsNinja, could you make a list of house rules you're using for the scenario? The ones I know of so far are:
1. Vehicles change levels at 1MP (just like mechs).
2. Jumping into forest forces PSR.
3. Falling from damage changes hexes. (Is the falling location based on original facing or facing after the fall?)

#1 was a genuine error (I didn't go over the vehicle rules before I started, which was a mistake--I also wasn't rolling piloting for sideslipping checks on the hovertanks), #2 was based on the old jumping rules (also why I haven't been rolling piloting for 'Mechs walking through water) and will be changed next time through (I stuck with it since if I goof, I'm going to goof consistently), #3 is actually supported in the rules if you 'fall' and there's a lower-level adjacent hex in the direction you're falling.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're just puppets BUT I intend to cycle through theaters of war pretty quick along with a meta-narrative. We'll actually get another vote as soon as the current battle ends, since something big was just announced (even though the Kell Hounds don't know it yet).

#1 was a genuine error (I didn't go over the vehicle rules before I started, which was a mistake--I also wasn't rolling piloting for sideslipping checks on the hovertanks)

I'm going to miss old desmond, i hope i get to pilot him again he really suits me, :)

I was wondering about that, in mektek i was slipping and sliding all over the place, but since we got those taken care of by like turn 3 i didn't think anything of it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wasn't planning on using tanks this early, to be honest. I'd planned to run a trio of Bug 'Mechs backed by a Grand Dragon, with the party a group of light mediums. Then y'all picked a Griffin, so I had to make the Snakes tougher. :3:

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^^^ He doesn't, since he was a pseudo-trueborn grown by Wolf's Dragoons. Morgan Kell and Salome Ward-Kell can't have children on their own.

Jesus, when did they decide that piece of information? I was never a particular fan of the books, I preferred Stackpole's Star Wars stuff.

edit: Oh, ok, that's a lot more reasonable than I was afraid of when you phrased it that way.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 1, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's outright explained in one of the books, but only briefly. Phelan was an invetro fert that was re-implanted into Salome and done by Wolf's Dragoons (the only ones with the medical knowledge to pull it off). It's why the Kell Hounds and Dragoons have always been thick as thieves.

I'm the only one who calls him a pseudo-trueborn.

Also, fun fact: The Dragoons have genetics from both Justin Xiang-Allard and Kai Allard-Liao, and were likely using those genes for their own Trueborns from about 3055 onward.

... WoB still kicked their asses. >_>

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 1, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

I never roll average. I always roll high or low, but I do so consistently with the same dice so I know they're not loaded; I just have horribly streaky luck. I also don't roll any number between 6 and 16 on d20s. It's either 1-5 or 17-19 (never 20s, heh).

Well now I know to reclassify rolls needing a 7+ as an 8+.

PoptartsNinja posted:

#1 was a genuine error (I didn't go over the vehicle rules before I started, which was a mistake--I also wasn't rolling piloting for sideslipping checks on the hovertanks), #2 was based on the old jumping rules (also why I haven't been rolling piloting for 'Mechs walking through water) and will be changed next time through (I stuck with it since if I goof, I'm going to goof consistently), #3 is actually supported in the rules if you 'fall' and there's a lower-level adjacent hex in the direction you're falling.

Nothing wrong with the vehicle using +1 MP rule, you might even consider keeping it. It certainly helps keep them more mobile and avoid taking damage which is good since all damage invariable leads to their tracks/wheels/rotors/hoverstuffs exploding.

In the rules I've always interpreted it as saying falls in the combat phase (outside of displacement attacks) would always cause a fall into the current hex but if we followed that line of reasoning we wouldn't have a dragon in the water with a missing leg so I'm fine with the way it is now.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The Hussar will die on 50-50 probability if you land a kick. Weapons increase this chance somewhat, as the leg crumbling effectively kills the mech. You could salvage it partially or completely.

But a charge would be so much cooler. You'd have a great chance of destroying it outright if you hit: 40-ton mech charging 7 hexes equals (40/10)*7 damage split in 5-point groupings. Unfortunately landing a hit is not certain here. You're looking at 8 to hit, minimum.

I'd also like to extend my congratulations to the luckiest mech lance in the whole world. You're ridiculously untouched considering what the original OPFOR was.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
You know, if PoptartsNinja's weird dice rolling wouldn't speed up the game that much (and make for a better narrative), I would almost recommend using an online dice-rolling-program. :v:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

<snip>I'd also like to extend my congratulations to the luckiest mech lance in the whole world. You're ridiculously untouched considering what the original OPFOR was.

Was that three fatal enemy ammo explosions in three rounds or three fatal enemy ammo explosions in four rounds?

Following that hitting the same part three times in a row on that dragon.

Can I have you guys decide on my lottery number next month?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Pinguliten posted:

Was that three fatal enemy ammo explosions in three rounds or three fatal enemy ammo explosions in four rounds?

Following that hitting the same part three times in a row on that dragon.

Can I have you guys decide on my lottery number next month?

Don't worry, we'll pay for our karma later :3:

quote:

Also, fun fact: The Dragoons have genetics from both Justin Xiang-Allard and Kai Allard-Liao, and were likely using those genes for their own Trueborns from about 3055 onward.

IIRC they ganked the genes from all the successor state heirs, while they were "learning to work together" on Outreach. Which raises the rather galling prospect of a trueborn lady with the X chromosomes of Kai Allard-Liao and Victor Hanse-Davion. Bromance indeed. (Would they have even bothered using Sun Tzu Liao's? Useless, but drat he skewered Victor hard in that book and deflated a lot of the FedCom and Victor's self righteousness.)

quote:

something big was just announced (even though the Kell Hounds don't know it yet).

The betting starts on "Hanse Davion Is A Cunning rear end in a top hat, Mark XIV" at even odds, who'll back me? :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

The betting starts on "Hanse Davion Is A Cunning rear end in a top hat, Mark XIV" at even odds, who'll back me? :v:

It's either that or "Holy poo poo aliens are invading the Lyran Commonwealth/Draconic Combine!" :derp:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

WarLocke posted:

It's either that or "Holy poo poo aliens are invading the Lyran Commonwealth/Draconic Combine!" :derp:

Bloody Bufonidae, Bombinatoridae, Discoglossidae, Pelobatidae, Rhinophrynidae, Scaphiopodidae, or Microhylidae (not that good on xenobiology). Get of mah lawn! :bahgawd:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pinguliten posted:

Bloody Bufonidae, Bombinatoridae, Discoglossidae, Pelobatidae, Rhinophrynidae, Scaphiopodidae, or Microhylidae (not that good on xenobiology). Get of mah lawn! :bahgawd:

the only alien you need to know Tetatae

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tarquinn posted:

You know, if PoptartsNinja's weird dice rolling wouldn't speed up the game that much (and make for a better narrative), I would almost recommend using an online dice-rolling-program. :v:

My streaky luck actually extends to those as well. I almost never roll statistically average (but with D6's, I do tend to roll slightly higher than average; It's just rare that I'll roll a 3 or 4 on the dice, even electronically).

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The correct next move is broadcast taunting. No use getting ridiculously lucky without rubbing it the gently caress in.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I can entriely support taunting as the next move. You should all cluster around the Dragon and ask if the rules of duelling mean you have to offer him a rubber dinghy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Revenant Threshold posted:

The correct next move is broadcast taunting. No use getting ridiculously lucky without rubbing it the gently caress in.

Can mechs purge various coolants or fluids at will? I'm sure standing over the fallen mech and having an arc of oil landing on the Dragon's windshield wound be pretty insulting.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Trast posted:

Can mechs purge various coolants or fluids at will? I'm sure standing over the fallen mech and having an arc of oil landing on the Dragon's windshield wound be pretty insulting.

The Dragon was defeated in an honor duel by a mercenary. There's like a 90% chance he's already committed seppuku. Kinda pointless to insult.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Trast posted:

The effect there would be lessened somewhat by the fact that the Dragon is currently under water.

Nothing stopping Pladdicus from dumping his machine gun ammo on him, though! :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Kell Hounds: Cylene Tactical Update 9

Combat Results:
A Griffin
Fires PPC at K4 (3 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 6): Rolled 6, hit (Right Leg blown off, 8/16 armor remaining in Right Torso)!
Fires LRM10 at K4 (3 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 6): Rolled 5, miss!
Generates 14 heat, sinks 12. Now at 4 residual heat.

(snip)

C Vulcan
Fires medium laser at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 11, hit (0/2 armor 4/7 structure remaining on Left Leg)! Critical chance!
Fires medium laser at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 3, miss!
Fires flamer at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 12, hit (2/4 armor remaining on center torso)!
Fires machine gun at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 10, miss!
Generates 11 heat, sinks 12. Now at 0 residual heat.

(snip)

Critical Chances
K1 Hussar 1 critical sustained in left leg! Lower Leg Actuator destroyed!
K1 Hussar piloting roll (5 base + 1 destroyed leg actuator = 6): Rolled 7, remains standing!

Combat Results
K4 Dragon falls into hex 1914! 2/16 armor remains on RT!
K4 Dragon disabled!

Qui audet adipiscitur. :smug:

I believe this this is an entirely appropriate reaction to this particular turn of events.

(And on an entirely unrelated note, is it bad that I keep reading "Wobbies" as "Wobblies"?)

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

The Dragon was defeated in an honor duel by a mercenary. There's like a 90% chance he's already committed seppuku. Kinda pointless to insult.
On the other hand, if you really want the poor guy to off himself, you could try respectfully bowing in your mech. That seems to be the go-to move to finish his honour demolishment.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

W.T. Fits posted:

(And on an entirely unrelated note, is it bad that I keep reading "Wobbies" as "Wobblies"?)

HPG technicians of the Inner Sphere, unite! You have nothing to lose but your pretentiousness!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

W.T. Fits posted:

Both of those are correct though, as are "toasters" and "goddamned toaster-fuckers".

PoptartsNinja posted:

... WoB still kicked their asses. >_>

In all fairness to the Dragoons, it's not really their fault that the WOB murdered the hell out of them, it's pretty well established that nothing post-3067 makes any loving sense, most notably how WOB managed to somehow become super-badass overnight and manage the logistical nightmare of a seemingly infinite number of multi-jump surgical strikes.

Operationally, too, it's hard to deal with nukes and orbital bombardments. And then the Dragoons' counterattack was pretty much doomed from the start, and they had no way to know they were hosed. (See also: Case White.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Revenant Threshold posted:

On the other hand, if you really want the poor guy to off himself, you could try respectfully bowing in your mech. That seems to be the go-to move to finish his honour demolishment.

Or you could, ya' know, just teabag him. I hear that this is the popular response in some corners of the Internets.

• Locked thread