Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

that awful man posted:

Luke gets cancer and has to battle the tumor with his Jedi powers.

Didn't something like this happen in "The Truce at Bakura"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Suenteus Po posted:

Didn't something like this happen in "The Truce at Bakura"?
Don't know about that, but in the Jedi Academy trilogy some Imperial dick "infects" Mon Mothma with nanobots that don't show up on scanners etc. but are pretty good at killing her, and one of Luke's students, who's basically a Force doctor, ends up painstakingly destroying ever nanobot using the Force.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Sombrerotron posted:

Don't know about that, but in the Jedi Academy trilogy some Imperial dick "infects" Mon Mothma with nanobots that don't show up on scanners etc. but are pretty good at killing her, and one of Luke's students, who's basically a Force doctor, ends up painstakingly destroying ever nanobot using the Force.

Just to clarify, you mean an Imperial guy who's a bit of a twat, right? Or is she actually infected by Imperial dick? Because that would be amazing.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.

Derek Dominoe posted:

Yoda posted:

Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.
So life creates the Force, but it binds non-living things in its field.

Maybe this was Yoda backwards talk, and he meant to say "It creates life" ?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ein Bear posted:

Just to clarify, you mean an Imperial guy who's a bit of a twat, right? Or is she actually infected by Imperial dick? Because that would be amazing.
It's the EU, who knows!

Sadly it's only an Imperial guy who's a bit of a stupendous twat.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Chairman Capone posted:

This was actually all Aaron Allston.

You're making me not love him, stop it.

e.

Ein Bear posted:

Does Vader still have a dick? And how does this affect his force potential? :raise:

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 1, 2011

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Does Vader still have a dick? And how does this affect his force potential? :raise:

His force potential goes up when he's choking someone.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone read that Yoda book? Its pretty good (if pulpy as hell) until near the end where they decided "Hey Yoda can't carry this book himself, have Obiman and the Boy Wonder turn up to save the day!"

Is there an event that happens during the clone wars those two ar'nt directly involved in? Its worse than the death star plans I swear to god.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
The size of this thread has been intimidating, so I just jumped in a few pages ago. I thought the reason Vader wasn't as powerful was that he was using a lot of his power to dull all the pain of the implants? Swear I read that somewhere.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anyone read that Yoda book? Its pretty good (if pulpy as hell) until near the end where they decided "Hey Yoda can't carry this book himself, have Obiman and the Boy Wonder turn up to save the day!"

Is there an event that happens during the clone wars those two ar'nt directly involved in? Its worse than the death star plans I swear to god.

Yeah, that Yoda book is suprisngly fun to read.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah, that Yoda book is suprisngly fun to read.

Yoda was a great character in it too, not a bumbling fool or overly silly but more the guy we see in ESB and ROTJ. Also he had the best lines

Yoda: Won this job in a raffle I did, think you?

I also just realised that Anakin and Obi wan are directly responsible for Yoda not turning Dooku back

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

KaosFactor posted:

The size of this thread has been intimidating, so I just jumped in a few pages ago. I thought the reason Vader wasn't as powerful was that he was using a lot of his power to dull all the pain of the implants? Swear I read that somewhere.

Yeah:

"However, after all of his limbs were severed and he was extremely burned on Mustafar he lost much of his Force potential. As Darth Vader, Anakin was believed to have had roughly 80% of the strength of the Emperor. Had he sustained none of his injuries on Mustafar he would have been twice as powerful."

- George Lucas

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah:

"However, after all of his limbs were severed and he was extremely burned on Mustafar he lost much of his Force potential. As Darth Vader, Anakin was believed to have had roughly 80% of the strength of the Emperor. Had he sustained none of his injuries on Mustafar he would have been twice as powerful."

- George Lucas

I need a new series to follow. Are they any sci-fi/fantasy series that aren't this infuriating?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

thrawn527 posted:

I need a new series to follow. Are they any sci-fi/fantasy series that aren't this infuriating?

Discworld is very tight and well written.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

Seriously, though, if you want some good sci-fi I recommend Isaac Azimov's robot series. They are pretty tight, but not so :sperg: where you need a wiki to follow them. Also, he's a tremendous writer, so it's not just generic sci-fi, but they are actually novels of other genres in a futuristic setting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thrawn527 posted:

Since other people hit the highlights, Larry Niven's known space books are pretty good. I'm especially fond of Protector and the first Ringworld book.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

So is the relationship between Force power and # of limbs linear, or non-linear...

(F = ma, less limbs == less mass, therefore less Force! :eng99:)

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Squid Jedi Squad....

Coming soon to CN!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Do you think it'd be possible with millions of dollars in funding to create a Rogue Squadron weekly TV show akin to the A-Team but campy as gently caress with some big name actors and lesser-known ones? I know its pipe-dreams but a man can dream of a show of nothing but fighter combat in Star Wars :3:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Do you think it'd be possible with millions of dollars in funding to create a Rogue Squadron weekly TV show akin to the A-Team but campy as gently caress with some big name actors and lesser-known ones? I know its pipe-dreams but a man can dream of a show of nothing but fighter combat in Star Wars :3:

You'd need billions of dollars. The millions you decribe would go towards prying the rights from Lucasfilm who are content to let that IP sit in a vault forever.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

thrawn527 posted:

I'd recommend Doctor Who. It's simultaneously brilliant and terrible. It's an ongoing series and ever-expanding universe involving time travel, alternate dimensions, and a protagonist who's aware of the fourth wall. So canonicity is basically a non-issue. It's been around since 1963 and has a solid pedigree of camp, which it really embraces, and can also be pretty dark and creepy at times, too.

Like Star Wars, Doctor Who has largely replaced its cheap rubber monsters of yesteryear with the cheap digital monsters of today. Some DVD releases actually have digitally enhanced episodes - as optional special features.

It also has 2 Earth-based spin-offs shows: Torchwood (for an older audience) and The Sarah Jane Adventures (for the younger audience), as well as a loose spin-off about K-9, which I haven't seen.

That's not to mention the oodles of movies, novels, comics, radio dramas, and stage plays (yes, stage plays). Plus the merchandising.

Check out the great wiki without nearly as much :spergin:: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Wiki

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ringo Star Get posted:

People make Star Wars fan films all the time. Unfortunately, they are almost universally bad. They really love Jedi with after effects lightsabers.

Surprised nobody's done Rogue Squadron fanfilms. I guess to be a hardcore enough Star Wars fan to make a movie about it, you have to have no taste.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

NGL posted:

I'd recommend Doctor Who. It's simultaneously brilliant and terrible. It's an ongoing series and ever-expanding universe involving time travel, alternate dimensions, and a protagonist who's aware of the fourth wall. So canonicity is basically a non-issue. It's been around since 1963 and has a solid pedigree of camp, which it really embraces, and can also be pretty dark and creepy at times, too.

Like Star Wars, Doctor Who has largely replaced its cheap rubber monsters of yesteryear with the cheap digital monsters of today. Some DVD releases actually have digitally enhanced episodes - as optional special features.

It also has 2 Earth-based spin-offs shows: Torchwood (for an older audience) and The Sarah Jane Adventures (for the younger audience), as well as a loose spin-off about K-9, which I haven't seen.

That's not to mention the oodles of movies, novels, comics, radio dramas, and stage plays (yes, stage plays). Plus the merchandising.

Check out the great wiki without nearly as much :spergin:: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Wiki

My friends recently introduced me to the Key of Time series of episodes and I have to say they were simply fantastic! It's terrible and amazing all at once!

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Gammatron 64 posted:

People make Star Wars fan films all the time. Unfortunately, they are almost universally bad. They really love Jedi with after effects lightsabers.

Surprised nobody's done Rogue Squadron fanfilms. I guess to be a hardcore enough Star Wars fan to make a movie about it, you have to have no taste.

Well, there was the Pink Five series, but I don't think that really counts.

Epi Lepi posted:

My friends recently introduced me to the Key of Time series of episodes and I have to say they were simply fantastic! It's terrible and amazing all at once!

I just watched The Pirate Planet last night. The speedboat air car scene was just amazing.

NGL fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 2, 2011

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hey, mine was painstakingly done in photoshop, frame by frame! :colbert:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I know this isn't technically the Games forum but what's everyones verdict on KOTOR 2? I liked the first one but the second is better in almost every way (gently caress you Telos).

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Doctor Who also has an advantage in the fan costumes of certain fans:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Slantedfloors posted:

Doctor Who also has an advantage in the fan costumes of certain fans:

EJACULATE.

...Sorry. I've been meaning to make that joke for a while.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

VaultAggie posted:

I know this isn't technically the Games forum but what's everyones verdict on KOTOR 2? I liked the first one but the second is better in almost every way (gently caress you Telos).

The near universal consensus is that the game was high quality, but was severely limited in its potential because it was forced to release at 66% completion. Entire planets and plotlines were cut, and the ending is a shadow of what it was supposed to be. You remember the stainless steel HK-50 droids following you? Entire plotline they had to leave unfinished. There are visible doors that lead nowhere in the Trayus Academy and on the map entire wings that aren't accessible. LucasArts decided it wanted a Christmas hit when it really, really couldn't have one.

Also, Doctor Who is awesome. I've only followed the reboot of the series but it is excellent. Doctor Who is less of an entangling yarn and more of a set of stories that comment about hope and human nature.

Also, those costumes :3:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Red Crown posted:

The near universal consensus is that the game was high quality, but was severely limited in its potential because it was forced to release at 66% completion. Entire planets and plotlines were cut, and the ending is a shadow of what it was supposed to be. You remember the stainless steel HK-50 droids following you? Entire plotline they had to leave unfinished. There are visible doors that lead nowhere in the Trayus Academy and on the map entire wings that aren't accessible. LucasArts decided it wanted a Christmas hit when it really, really couldn't have one.

I think it's really telling that, even with how much KOTOR 2 was mutilated and how much I love Jedi Knight and X-Wing, I still think it's the highest-quality Star wars game in terms of design, plot, playability, and plain fun. It makes me really wonder just how amazing it would have been if Obsidian had been able to have their way.

What ever happened to that group of fans who were going to restore everything that was cut? Did they ever get anywhere near completion?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Chairman Capone posted:

What ever happened to that group of fans who were going to restore everything that was cut? Did they ever get anywhere near completion?
Various infighting has basically held it hostage since forever. Another group managed to do their own version, though, which was basically the same; you can find it here.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Chairman Capone posted:

I think it's really telling that, even with how much KOTOR 2 was mutilated and how much I love Jedi Knight and X-Wing, I still think it's the highest-quality Star wars game in terms of design, plot, playability, and plain fun. It makes me really wonder just how amazing it would have been if Obsidian had been able to have their way.

Really it's amazing that Obsidian was able to have its way with the IP as much as it did. I mean, they deconstructed quite a bit about the franchise. That seems like the last thing you do with Star Wars.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Various infighting has basically held it hostage since forever. Another group managed to do their own version, though, which was basically the same; you can find it here.

Just be warned it doesn't suddenly make the game complete. They could only add what was on the disc in various levels of incompleteness. Some of it is actually really clumsily implemented because it was the best they could hope to do. It adds some nice things but overall I dont think it makes the game any better for having it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yoda was a great character in it too, not a bumbling fool or overly silly but more the guy we see in ESB and ROTJ. Also he had the best lines

Yoda: Won this job in a raffle I did, think you?

I also just realised that Anakin and Obi wan are directly responsible for Yoda not turning Dooku back

Yeah, Sean Stewart is awesome. I rate that book as enjoyable as any of Alston's work. I love how Dooku poo poo his pants when he actually thought what would happen if Yoda went Dark. I loved the resolution of the Jedi boy's dreams too. It was a real nice touch.

quote:

Someone posted in Games a write-up of the history of that aborted mod. The resolution to the whole thing was arguably as satisfying as actually playing it.

Basically, some asshat dick of a modder got a bunch of people together to work on the project, then held everyone's work hostage for years as he dicked around "perfecting" it. He refused to ask for help or even let anyone else join the team to help get it finished. Any complaint or question of completion was met with sycophants shouting WHEN IT'S DONE. He basically kept everyone in the dark before he finally came out and said that he now had a GIRLFRIEND and that he was too busy to deal with any of your poo poo.

Then someone else came out of no where and released a complete, working version which took a big poo poo all over that asshat's little toy. That power-trip he was on blew up in his face and basically invalidated all the work and notoriety he worked on for the past 4 years.

I usually hate following online, forum drama but that was one of the few cases where I've ever smiled over how something turned out.

quote:

Just be warned it doesn't suddenly make the game complete. They could only add what was on the disc in various levels of incompleteness. Some of it is actually really clumsily implemented because it was the best they could hope to do. It adds some nice things but overall I dont think it makes the game any better for having it.

It clears up a lot of things. Basically the ending with the droids would not make sense at all without the HK factory.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 2, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

It clears up a lot of things. Basically the ending with the droids would not make sense at all without the HK factory.

Yeah but I found the HK factory itself really awful. I realize it's not their fault it was just such a drag.

Edit: This may be entirely biased since I followed it up to release I knew basically everything in that restoration mod, which may have tempered my enthusiasm.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 2, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Basically, some asshat dick of a modder got a bunch of people together to work on the project, then held everyone's work hostage for years as he dicked around "perfecting" it. He refused to ask for help or even let anyone else join the team to help get it finished. Any complaint or question of completion was met with sycophants shouting WHEN IT'S DONE. He basically kept everyone in the dark before he finally came out and said that he now had a GIRLFRIEND and that he was too busy to deal with any of your poo poo.

Then someone else came out of no where and released a complete, working version which took a big poo poo all over that asshat's little toy. That power-trip he was on blew up in his face and basically invalidated all the work and notoriety he worked on for the past 4 years.

I usually hate following online, forum drama but that was one of the few cases where I've ever smiled over how something turned out.
Having interacted with several Team Gizka members years ago I can tell you they are the giant gaggle of toolbags everyone thinks they are. Seeing the rug get yanked out from under them was so satisfying.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Further ideas for the goon EU pentalogy:

The main protagonist is an angsty teenage girl at the Jedi academy who makes Starkiller look like an underpowered weakling and spends most of the series wondering if anyone will ask her to the Jedi prom.

Sex with random guys at the bathhouse results in Boba Fett getting Mandalorian AIDS, which is like regular AIDS but ten times more hardcore.

In addition to the usual sand planets, ice planets, swamp planets, forest planets, and city planets, there's a planet where it's always kind of hazy and overcast and, due to a freak of planetary motion, it's always Monday. It's inhabited by orange cats (sort of like in "Avatar") that like lasagna.

Gammatron 64 posted:

People make Star Wars fan films all the time. Unfortunately, they are almost universally bad.

The Lando blaxploitation thing that somebody linked to a couple of months ago looked pretty great.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

that awful man posted:

The Lando blaxploitation thing that somebody linked to a couple of months ago looked pretty great.

Thanks for reminding me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7_KpPRyBs

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7_KpPRyBs

Watching that always makes me sad, not because it's bad (it's completely brilliant) but just because it makes me imagine how awesome the prequels would be if they had just captured that same feeling and look, and then I remember what we actually got instead.

Maybe it's because they were discussed a few pages ago, but I just now noticed that the end credits to that refer to L. Neil Smith's Lando Calrissian books (The Starcave of Thon-Boka).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe it's because they were discussed a few pages ago, but I just now noticed that the end credits to that refer to L. Neil Smith's Lando Calrissian books (The Starcave of Thon-Boka).
For the record, this is the book where Lando teaches Space Manta-Rays about gambling.