Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

paragon1 posted:

And now I have the image of a Mech mariachi band stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

What do you think hotsauce bottles in the IS have on the labels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

elitebuster posted:

What do you think hotsauce bottles in the IS have on the labels?

Comes in five strengths: Small Laser, Medium Laser, Large Laser, Particle Projection Cannon and Autocannon/20.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Oh and for spamming the thread a bit, I mean christ, it only grows by 5-8 pages a day or so I saw something recently that I'm sure at least some of you have seen before.

In Japan they redesigned everything when they released the game over there and in some bisarre twist it was Studio Nue of Macross fame that did the new designs.

Here is a link to a gallery with scans from the books. They're.... well different. Some look good while otheMY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEIR FEET.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You want fun images?

Wolverine Cyclops Phoenix Banshee Colossus Gambit Rogue Shadow Cat. Together, they are the X-Men!

And also Thor.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Are we still voting on MVP's?

For enemies, definitely that Hussar sniper.
For Kell Hounds, that's a really tough one. I'm going to eeny-meeny-miney moe my vote to the gunslinger Griffin, though if the crazy Vulcan ends up winning I won't be too put out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Comes in five strengths: Small Laser, Medium Laser, Large Laser, Particle Projection Cannon and Autocannon/20.

Auto/20: Hot enough to melt your armor off.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

paragon1 posted:

Auto/20: Hot enough to meltblow your armorhead off.

Fixed that for you.

As for the Japanese mechs, I actually like a lot of them. Especially the ost-s. I think we should scrap our Ost-s and take them as canon. :)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Our one is tougher, the Vulcan and the Griffon did most of the heavy lifting. The real question is who got the most absurdly lucky which I'm inclined to think was the Vulcan, so

MVPs: Griffin, Hussar :D

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pinguliten posted:

Here is a link to a gallery with scans from the books. They're.... well different. Some look good while otheMY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEIR FEET.

Anime Griffin vs. Anime Dragon

Really liking quite a few of these redesigns, but then again, I'm biased 'cause I'm a massive anime nerd.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Agent Interrobang posted:

I've still got my artbitches working on that! :D

Nope, I call shenanigans. I deny that these "artbitches" actually exist :colbert:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Volmarias posted:

Nope, I call shenanigans. I deny that these "artbitches" actually exist :colbert:

They've still got a week left on their deadline. I did set it up as a contest, so it isn't a 'definitely people will do this' sort of thing.

I could open the contest to people here, if you'd like... say, winner's choice of Forums Upgrade, in addition to all the fluff junk?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Pinguliten posted:

Oh and for spamming the thread a bit, I mean christ, it only grows by 5-8 pages a day or so I saw something recently that I'm sure at least some of you have seen before.

In Japan they redesigned everything when they released the game over there and in some bisarre twist it was Studio Nue of Macross fame that did the new designs.

Some of them aren't bad, but my god, the DONGLES! Really, does a mech need so much random crap? Plus their Rifleman only has one gun per arm...

Edit: Why would they look the same? Because Americans say so, dammn it!:fsmug:

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 1, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

elitebuster posted:

Some of them aren't bad, but my god, the DONGLES! Really, does a mech need so much random crap?

Of course! Dongles are how you know it's THE FUTURE!

quote:

Plus their Rifleman only has one gun per arm...

Look again - it's a -3N. It has an AC/5 and a Large Laser. Why would a Large Laser's barrel look remotely like an AC/5s? The Large Lasers are the shorter underbarrel things that look like shotgun racks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

elitebuster posted:

Some of them aren't bad, but my god, the DONGLES! Really, does a mech need so much random crap? Plus their Rifleman only has one gun per arm...
What really gets me is that the same dude drew both.....

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Viva Marik!

No, YOU shut up!!!!!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Pinguliten posted:

They're all so much better than the "here mom, I drawed a battletech!" that riddle some of the sourcebooks.

Sure, I wish there were a few less curved lines on some of them, but can't you specifically ask artists to do stuff like that?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know, I'm tempted to vote MVP Spider.

Yeah, the Hussar did way more damage, but how was it able to do so much damage? Because nobody shot it, since that Spider was SO DAMNED threatening! And lasted kind of long under the kind of fire it took.

Hell, I think that Spider took more of a beating than that Dragon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, the Hussar did way more damage, but how was it able to do so much damage?

Hitting on 11s with it's only dangerous weapon.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

No, YOU shut up!!!!!

Is it wrong that this made me laugh like hell? Seriously this should be the (un)official motto of the Free Worlds League.

On another note: It's just too bad that there's pretty much no chance to display Cassie "I'm a footsoldier who kills Mechs as a hobby" Suthorn in the game rules in any reliable way. PBI outside blind fighting rules are basically only good as living area denial, unfortunately.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

W.T. Fits posted:

Anime Griffin vs. Anime Dragon

Really liking quite a few of these redesigns, but then again, I'm biased 'cause I'm a massive anime nerd.

An anime redesign of the Marauder which was a redesign of the Glaug from the anime Macross :psyduck:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Magni posted:

Is it wrong that this made me laugh like hell? Seriously this should be the (un)official motto of the Free Worlds League.

On another note: It's just too bad that there's pretty much no chance to display Cassie "I'm a footsoldier who kills Mechs as a hobby" Suthorn in the game rules in any reliable way. PBI outside blind fighting rules are basically only good as living area denial, unfortunately.

Double-blind rules are basically also the best way to play so I don't see the problem? And then there's armored infantry rules, field guns...all kinds of crazy non-battle armor ways to make infantry scary. Field guns especially, Jesus.

McGibby
Jan 27, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gothsheep posted:

You know, I'm tempted to vote MVP Spider.

Yeah, the Hussar did way more damage, but how was it able to do so much damage? Because nobody shot it, since that Spider was SO DAMNED threatening! And lasted kind of long under the kind of fire it took.

Hell, I think that Spider took more of a beating than that Dragon.

This! It also died in a far more dramatic and entertaining way than the Hussar. Vulcan sealed it for me with the whole, kicking the enemy while it was down...er going down.

MVP: Spider and Vulcan

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Politics Update 1

“This is Lieutenant Lori Kalmar, of the Gray Death Legion. By the time you get this message, I will be dead, and the legion along with me,” The woman in the holotank looked haggard, worn, and exhausted. The Shadow Hawk behind her—presumably her own ‘Mech—was missing its right arm and left hand, its torso was a smoking ruin. “Grayson Carlyle is already dead. They burned him alive in his Marauder. There was nothing we could do but run, but… they cut us down anyway, at impossible range. These invaders—these Widowmakers—are incredible. Impossible.”

She paused a moment, as if to collect her thoughts. The camera panned to a white-painted ‘Mech, the barely-recognizable corpse of a Com Guard Wyvern. “They tried to take the HPG in their first landing, so the Com Guards destroyed it. They cut down Redjack Ryan’s pirates like they were made of paper mache, then did the same to the Legion. My lance…I just hope they haven’t destroyed our jumpship; these… these Clan warriors don’t seem to hold anything sacred!”

She took a breath as the camera panned back to her. ”As soon as our Jumpship is overhead, we’re going to use the Cyclops to transmit this message to our jumpship, and this order: Get out. Warn the Inner Sphere. I’m appending the BattleRoms of every ‘Mech I could save. With luck, the recordings will do you some good, and you’ll spot a weakness we missed. We’ve broken contact for now, but—”

The camera shook, and fell, giving a view of a towering Cyclops. It was in better shape than the Shadow Hawk, but not much. There was a gout of smoke, and a full flight of missiles flew towards some distant target. Someone scrabbled for the camera, and an odd form lurched into shape. It looked vaguely like a marauder, with a bullet-shaped hull and arms ending in two boxy weapons-pods. The massive barrel of an autocannon hanging over the right shoulder completed the illusion for a moment; but the boxy missile pod on the left ruined things. The design was alien, bizarre… like someone fused a Catapult to a Marauder then walked away, job well done.

Lori Kalmar kept narrating. “Begin transmitting, begin transmitting! Anything we can get them now is gravy!” The unknown ‘Mech burned armor from the Cyclops, great gobs of it landing molten like a rain of meteors. The Cameraman didn’t flinch even as one landed within a meter, glowing red hot. The enemy laser should’ve been clearly visible. Instead, the camera barely picked it up. “Their weapons,” Lori explained, “are extremely focused. Extremely powerful. They can hit at impossible ranges, and take punishment a ‘mech of the same size simply shouldn’t be able to take. Take this message, these recordings, and get them to the Archon!” the unknown design launched a flight of LRMs. They stayed impossibly tight, pounding the Cyclops—and then the feed ended.

“That’s the whole message,” Quintus explained quietly. “Rebroadcast by ComStar against the Lyran Commonwealth’s wishes.”

“There’s no more?” Hanse asked. “Can you confirm the Gray Death Legion is gone?”

Quintus shook his head. “The Lyrans can’t even confirm it. We did receive another message from the Primus. He’s confirmed over two-dozen worlds from the Lyran Commonwealth to the Draconis Combine have gone silent. Our agents in the Combine have confirmed House Kurita is already shuffling a dozen regiments out of Deiron and Benjamin.”

Hanse’s eyes narrowed. “Seems a bit extreme for what may be just a band of well-equipped pirates from the deep periphery.”

Quintus changed the discs, silently. The Frozen image of the bizarre Marauder-Catapult design was replaced with Julian Tiepolo’s wizened features. “Looking at him makes me realize how fragile life is,” Hanse commented quietly “… I really should marry, before it’s too late to have an heir.”

Tiepolo leaned forward, looking tiny in his voluminous ComStar robes. After his heart scare a few years ago, Tiepolo took little chances and made few public appearances. “What you are about to see,” Tiepolo began—a tad melodramatically, Hanse thought—has been repeated across more than a dozen worlds in the Draconis Combine and Lyran Commonwealth. Although we can’t be certain, I believe these attacks must signify the return of Aleksandr Kerensky’s Star League Defense Force. These ‘Mechs, their weapons, are all based on old Star League designs.”

Tiepolo steepled his fingers, leaning forward in his chair. “The real threat,” he says after a moment, “is that they may have captured Precenter Deiron, who was in the periphery investigating the sudden silence of so many HPGs…”

Hanse paused the recording. “These pirates have captured a member of the First Circuit?”

“Tiepolo seems to think so,” Quintus replied, resuming the recording. “our agents on Deiron haven’t seen Precentor Waterley for some time.”

“It is clear,” Tiepolo’s recording continued as if he hadn’t been so rudely interrupted, “that these… ‘Clans’ are a clear and present danger to the whole of the Inner Sphere. To this end, I must demand a moratorium on all wars with the Draconis Combine and the Lyran Commonwealth. If you—Hanse Davion—persist in waging war on House Kurita, we will put the whole of the Federated Suns under an interdiction and invite the Capellan Confederation to eat you alive.”

Hanse frowned dangerously, “Would they do that?”

Quintus nodded. “I wouldn’t put it past Tiepolo.”

Hanse nodded. “… Let’s go over our options, then. And, while we’re at it, have Morgan draw up attack plans for assaulting the HPG complex of every major world in the Federated Suns, just in case.”

Political Vote 1
Does Hanse Davion:

A) Withdraw all forces engaged with the Draconis Combine, but remain in every 'conquered' occupied system hoping to provoke the Draconis Combine into continuing the war, thus bypassing the ComStar restrictions? (Kell Hounds Cylene campaign ends)

B) Press the attack now that House Kurita is distracted by these ‘Clans’, risking an interdiction since Liao is too distracted to really launch an effective invasion? (Kell Hounds Cylene campaign continues)

C) Withdraw all forces currently engaged with the Draconis Combine and pull several regiments from the border under the guise of a ‘training exercise’, then launch a massive attack on Tikonov? (Kell Hounds Cylene campaign ends, War with House Kurita ends, start a war with House Liao)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Hanse Davion is the goddamned Fox. Manipulating a hated enemy into launching an attack on him in the hopes of getting said enemy to cripple himself is much more his style than risking everything that he can capture HPG complexes in time. Or defying Comstar openly for little strategic benefit by attacking Liao. This should be an easy choice.

Voting A. The Feds have some benefit already in the bag, and calling a halt will at the VERY least let us get our logistics in line for a second push if the situation warrants.

e: remember, Hanse doesn't know the Combine is going to be fighting for its life. Yet.

also: The GDL is gone?!?!? :ohdear:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 2, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I have to say A, Hanse can play innocent right up untill he lands troops on Luthien its self.

Edit: Oh poo poo........

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Going to say A. There isn't much benefit to provoking a war with Liao and besides which we'll get to see just which threat Kurita thinks is worse.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

elitebuster posted:

I have to say A, Hanse can play innocent right up untill he lands troops on Luthien its self.

Edit: Oh poo poo........

Also this. He'll have more chances to stick the dagger in Kurita's back later. Preserve flexibility, do nothing drastic until there's not much risk. As of right now, if these so called "clans" are just well armed pirates who found a big star league stash, he could be pissing off Comstar royally and walking into the combined DCMS after they finish trashing the "pirates". Not wise. Not... Foxy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C I am still loyal to House Kurita!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's making me picture an Atlas wearing a sombrero, in Mexican Day of the Dead paints. :D

You rang?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
A

:aaaaa:
THE GDL GONE?! Thats... really really not good.

I hope we can come back to good ol' desmond.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

:aaaaa:
THE GDL GONE?! Thats... really really not good.

Well... the good news is that the Kell Hounds are now the undisputed best merc group out there?

:stare:

:negative:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
A is the only proper option. Hanse is a daring man, but not a foolish one.

SynthOrange posted:

You rang?

:swoon:

My fanart-inspiration count for this thread is, I believe, 2 for 2.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
Voting A Let the dragon be consumed from both ends!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Really, the way I see it, B wouldn't be his style, but C is tempting and is actually his style. Tikonov is a big freaking deal. Of course, considering that bit in the update about him thinking he needs to marry soon...well, that means that invading the Cappies can wait. After all, we all know what happens when Hanse Davion goes to a wedding.

So, voting a. No blood relative of Ian Davion is going to just hand worlds back to the Dracs after all, and certainly not the Victor at Halstead Station. Not the Fox.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Voting B if we've got the black boxes, A if we don't and C if we want to be all :smug:

Mukaikubo posted:

Well... the good news is that the Kell Hounds are now the undisputed best merc group out there?
You forgetting the Eridani Light Horse?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

:swoon:

My fanart-inspiration count for this thread is, I believe, 2 for 2.

it's the my little pony avatar no one can resist you, i feel the same way toward my forbidden lover... Hunchy

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Gonna vote A. We won those territories fair and square, dammit. It's not our fault ComStar's getting their panties in a twist about a bunch of pirates who discovered one or two old LostTech mechs. :colbert:

(Oh god, we're all gonna die horribly, aren't we? :gonk:)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hanse would see the lack of restriction against the CC as an invitation by ComStar. C.

Also, if the GDL is gone, who will replace them as a Lyran option?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

A.

Why in god's name would Hanse Davion give worlds back to the Snakes? And defying ComStar for minimal gain is pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Sigh. I want to say otherwise, not wanting to waste our stunning win, but.

A

• Locked thread