Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yakattak posted:

You mean like http://forums.somethingawful.com/f/search but within each board, so if you were in SH/SC and you just wanted SH/SC threads, you could just type it in the search box in the top left of the board and have it search just SH/SC?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Exactly like that. I often know what forum something would be, I'd just like a quick way to search that forum.

Oooooohhhh yeah that could be done pretty easily I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Ferg posted:

Oooooohhhh yeah that could be done pretty easily I think.

is there any way image resizing can be fixed to a pixel-by-pixel amount?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Just testing something

Edit: drat. I suppose it makes sense that SA doesn't support color tags.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Captain Capacitor posted:

Just testing something

Edit: drat. I suppose it makes sense that SA doesn't support color tags.

Yeah, it's disabled for everything but avatars. And mods/admins, probably.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I seem to have this problem where clicking an image in a thread first shrinks it, then clicking it again makes it disappear completely. I understand that the 'restrict image size' is supposed to keep images from breaking tables, but is making it vanish completely intended?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Quick idea:

Could you add a popup that appears if you try and close/leave the page and you have text entered into the Quick Reply box? Several times I've put in a reply in the middle of a thread, minimized the QR box, then forgotten and navigated to another page. When I hit the back button, the form contents aren't saved, probably since they're generated after the page has loaded.

Example code here:
http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/disableclose.html

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I can't click any timg links, is there a fix to that?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RickoniX posted:

I can't click any timg links, is there a fix to that?

There's a thread in QCS about that, but it happens to people both with- and without SALR.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372818

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
I had a feature request, but I can't remember what it was. So I'll just ask a question instead.

Would you say that it has been easier to develop SALR for Chromium or Mozilla?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ThatNateGuy posted:

I had a feature request, but I can't remember what it was. So I'll just ask a question instead.

Would you say that it has been easier to develop SALR for Chromium or Mozilla?

I didn't work on SALR for Firefox at all. However, I will say that it is quite a bit easier based on my knowledge of legacy Firefox extensions. Chrome extensions are simply tiny web applications, nothing more. HTML5 isn't just a buzz word, it's downright empowering from a development standpoint. I spent a weekend porting it over to Safari when they released their own extension system, and despite a small handful of tweaks that I needed to make for it to work, it's probably 98% the exact same codebase. That's huge. This version of SALR could be ported over to Firefox with their Jetpack (Add-ons?) API in just as little time.

And, in fact, while the Safari port that I made has pretty much fizzled out, the current SALR codebase is suited for easy porting. All functionality that was exclusive to Chrome/Safari was separated from the core codebase when I wrote the Safari extension, and I've left it that way to leave open any opportunity in the future.

Rohaq posted:

Quick idea:

Could you add a popup that appears if you try and close/leave the page and you have text entered into the Quick Reply box? Several times I've put in a reply in the middle of a thread, minimized the QR box, then forgotten and navigated to another page. When I hit the back button, the form contents aren't saved, probably since they're generated after the page has loaded.

Example code here:
http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/disableclose.html

Sounds reasonable, I need to explore the latest Chrome extension API's. Been pretty out of touch lately.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Ferg?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I seem to have this problem where clicking an image in a thread first shrinks it, then clicking it again makes it disappear completely. I understand that the 'restrict image size' is supposed to keep images from breaking tables, but is making it vanish completely intended?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ferg?

Link a sample post, I'll take a look when I can.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Anyone have a problem with SALR where it doesn't bring you to the last unread post but brings you a few posts down or something?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I have gotten that sporadically.

I'm also not getting quote-highlighting even though I've enabled it in options and it shows there. It used to work two days ago on a different computer (which I've just replaced), and it has not worked at all on the new computer, except in the preview box. I can no longer test the old one. I have also tried resetting options to default and re-enabling it.

SALR 1.2.2
Chrome standard install, ver. 8.0.552.224 unknown [that's part of the version number]

E: I am a moron, I forgot to enter my username.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 13, 2011

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Ferg posted:

Link a sample post, I'll take a look when I can.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341748&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Second post. The original image is a table breaker. Clicking it once reduces the size, clicking it again makes it disappear o.o

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341748&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Second post. The original image is a table breaker. Clicking it once reduces the size, clicking it again makes it disappear o.o

Ahh yeah, looks like it's due to having the option to turn links into inline images. Could probably do with smarter detection for cases like that where there's already an inline image provided.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
Scott, check your pull requests.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nuvan posted:

Scott, check your pull requests.

Just saw the notification, I'm actually working on a requested feature this afternoon, will pull it in then and hopefully have both rolled out tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the commit!

Ferg fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 15, 2011

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
Which feature you working on? I was gonna see if I could come up with an implementation for colored usergroups, but if you're already working on that, there's no real reason for me to.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nuvan posted:

Which feature you working on? I was gonna see if I could come up with an implementation for colored usergroups, but if you're already working on that, there's no real reason for me to.

Highlighting the post count cell for threads you've posted in. I have the tracking working just fine, just need to figure out a friendly way to intercept when a user actually posts. Initial commit is up on the repo.

I was actually looking at colored user groups when I sat down to bang out some new features but was a little fuzzy on the request. Seemed like it was a pretty big net of stuff we wanted to capture. Either way, my thread tracking commit utilizes the client-side SQLite database, so maybe something there you can steal (or at least re-use the same database) for the usergroups stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Yakattak posted:

Anyone have a problem with SALR where it doesn't bring you to the last unread post but brings you a few posts down or something?

Yeah, this is all it's ever done to me when clicking the arrow on the in-thread navigator.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Testing thread ID caching...

Edit: Well that appeared to work on the first try. I'm the loving man. Sorry for the delays, still hellish at work. Chugging away here though.

Edit 2: Okay cool, thread ID caching appears to be working, also have changes merged from nuvan and SneakingMission. Will test over the next day or two and roll it out. If anybody is working on a new feature/bug just shoot it over.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 21, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ferg posted:

Edit 2: Okay cool, thread ID caching appears to be working

What does this mean for us users?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What does this mean for us users?

Nothing fancy, just a fancy name. The extension is storing a list of threads you've posted in so that the post count can be highlighted. It was the #2 requested feature on Uservoice.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just uploaded the latest stuff as 1.3.0. You can enable the thread postcount highlighting in your options. However, it will only begin working after you've enabled the feature. Any threads you've posted in prior to enabling the feature won't be highlighted until you post in them again.

I'll continue to try and knock out features as I find time, my current massive work project is nearing completion so hopefully I'll have more time. Any developers though, I use Github at work, I'm on it 24/7, I will merge anything you want to throw over the fence to me. If I get a handful of changes and haven't gotten much done myself, I'll roll them out. Can't stress this enough.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 25, 2011

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

postcount highlighting doesn't seem to be working for me. I have it enabled and posted to test it, just not working.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

postcount highlighting doesn't seem to be working for me. I have it enabled and posted to test it, just not working.

In your user CP or in the thread list? Double check that you're at 1.3.1 as well. When I originally upped it there was a small bug I hadn't caught where the user CP wasn't highlighting.

Edit: Seeing it too now, will look into it. On another note, Chrome's SQLite dev tools are pretty lackluster compared to the rest of the offerings.

Edit 2: Eh I have no idea what happened. Worked the other day without a hitch and now there's all sorts of SQLite errors being thrown. I'll have to dig deeper into this one.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 25, 2011

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cancer posts aren't automatically fixed anymore.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Ferg posted:

And, in fact, while the Safari port that I made has pretty much fizzled out, the current SALR codebase is suited for easy porting. All functionality that was exclusive to Chrome/Safari was separated from the core codebase when I wrote the Safari extension, and I've left it that way to leave open any opportunity in the future.

Are there any plans to bring the Safari extension up to the current 1.3.0 Chrome codebase? I love the plugin but am jonesing for some of the currently non-working SALR features in Safari that I'm using in Chrome at the office.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cancer posts aren't automatically fixed anymore.

Can you link me to one? Just need a reference post and I can squash the bug.

TealShark posted:

Are there any plans to bring the Safari extension up to the current 1.3.0 Chrome codebase? I love the plugin but am jonesing for some of the currently non-working SALR features in Safari that I'm using in Chrome at the office.

You're the first person to express any interest since I originally announced it in the other thread. So given that I hardly have the time to dedicate to SALR Chrome right now, unfortunately not. The code is opensource, you can easily merge the upstream to keep both synchronized, and I will happily hand over the reigns to anybody who wants to take it over though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cancer seems to be fixed now, maybe SALR was just acting up when i posted that.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cancer seems to be fixed now, maybe SALR was just acting up when i posted that.

It only runs after the page load is completed, you probably had an ad loading somewhere on the page that was taking it's sweet time. Happens to me on occasion.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Ferg posted:

You're the first person to express any interest since I originally announced it in the other thread. So given that I hardly have the time to dedicate to SALR Chrome right now, unfortunately not. The code is opensource, you can easily merge the upstream to keep both synchronized, and I will happily hand over the reigns to anybody who wants to take it over though.

Because it's a snow day, I tinkered with merging the newer Chrome files into the 1.0 Safari release... And boy, you weren't kidding about the code being about 98% the same between the two versions. Aside from replacing some of your old Safari functions into a few of the Chrome files and a complete lack of testing or knowing if any of the new features work, I think I have most of the functions back.

I barely have any idea what I'm doing and I think I made it work. That really is a testament to how wonderful HTLM5 is.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TealShark posted:

Because it's a snow day, I tinkered with merging the newer Chrome files into the 1.0 Safari release... And boy, you weren't kidding about the code being about 98% the same between the two versions. Aside from replacing some of your old Safari functions into a few of the Chrome files and a complete lack of testing or knowing if any of the new features work, I think I have most of the functions back.

I barely have any idea what I'm doing and I think I made it work. That really is a testament to how wonderful HTLM5 is.

I broke off the core functionality into the SALR object for that purpose. There's occasional features that are obviously going to be browser specific, and I tried to keep them out of any core logic as much as possible. If I remember right, the constructor for the SALR object bridges the gap and everything else just feeds off of that.

If you play by the book with Safari preferences are a whole other world. Unfortunately, Apple royally hosed their preferences API up, so I did it the simple (and HTML5) way, and just left in Chrome's settings method. Looks okay, works perfectly.

Now, that all being said, some things will break. Look at how the drag-and-drop image uploading behaves in the quick reply. Pretty sure that was broken last I looked.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

When using the embedded youtube video feature, showing two youtube videos on the same forum page automatically converts the first link I reveal to the second revealed link.

is this a known bug?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

When using the embedded youtube video feature, showing two youtube videos on the same forum page automatically converts the first link I reveal to the second revealed link.

is this a known bug?

I noticed it earlier this week and, oof, looks like image resizing has gone a little wonky.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ferg posted:

I noticed it earlier this week and, oof, looks like image resizing has gone a little wonky.

Just FYI, the Youtube thing has been happening pretty much since it was implemented, or at least for many months. Don't know if you knew that already, just didn't want you searching for a change that didn't occur.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just FYI, the Youtube thing has been happening pretty much since it was implemented, or at least for many months. Don't know if you knew that already, just didn't want you searching for a change that didn't occur.

I wouldn't be surprised. It was one of the first features submitted to me and it hasn't been touched since, and I think that was well over a year ago. Should be an easy fix regardless.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

This may be a strange or difficult (or impossible) request, but is there a way to have some sort of notification in the Control Panel if an unread post has a reply to something you posted? Maybe a third highlighting choice for threads you have an unread reply in? I hope that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This may be a strange or difficult (or impossible) request, but is there a way to have some sort of notification in the Control Panel if an unread post has a reply to something you posted? Maybe a third highlighting choice for threads you have an unread reply in? I hope that makes sense.

Pretty much impossible. The extension would have to discretely poll the forums in the background which would in turn totally screw up your last read post position, on top of probably drawing the ire of the forums developers.

• Locked thread