Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Neurophonic posted:

It doesn't work for the same reasons that the original Droid 'global version' - the Milestone - didn't work with the Droid's root methods.

....ok? What does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

dissss posted:

Thats actually displaying another dockbar that you can drop shortcuts onto. To close it just swipe downwards on the blank area.

If you want to disable it entirely go into ADW Settings > UI Settings and uncheck 'Dockbar' under the Hidden Dockbar section

My wife has done that occasionally with ADW. The hide-able dockbar seems to be the most useless of features.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Civil posted:

My wife has done that occasionally with ADW. The hide-able dockbar seems to be the most useless of features.

Just disable it then. Personally I like it better than LPs scrolling dockbar, but I can see how it could confuse especially if its empty

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Chillmatic posted:

Is it remotely possible to root a droid 2 global? All the "Easier one click root" poo poo fails at various stages each time I run it, and I've tried both mac and win7. It appears that stuff was last updated in September and I'm wondering if it just doesn't work anymore due to maybe a recent android update or something?

Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

z4root worked fine for me on a droid 2 global.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

z4root worked fine for me on a droid 2 global.

Just tried that and while it appears I do have root now, I can't get into recovery through ROM manager...it just reboots straight into the OS again. I tried flashing the other recovery, and then back to clockwork, with no luck. I do get the root prompt though and I can finally get rid of all the god drat bloat that came on this thing.

Any tips for getting recovery to work?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Chillmatic posted:

Just tried that and while it appears I do have root now, I can't get into recovery through ROM manager...it just reboots straight into the OS again. I tried flashing the other recovery, and then back to clockwork, with no luck. I do get the root prompt though and I can finally get rid of all the god drat bloat that came on this thing.

Like the Milestone/Milestone 2 that probably isn't going to be simple.

At this point I don't know if there is any way to flash an actual custom ROM, might be best to keep your eye on XDA (although there is little activity around these phones)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Not so long now maybe.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Skeezy posted:

Not so long now maybe.

I hope this brings all the other ROM's up to 2.3. I don't want to give up my MIUI.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Looked over the past dozen pages or so and didn't find anything -

Are there any good custom roms for the Optimus S?

Also, I was thinking about getting a Nook Color and rooting it. It sounds like it's fairly capable, but can anybody give me a comparison how the cpu in the Nook compares to the Optimus? It's my only frame of reference for performance but based on what I've seen with the phone it performs well enough for my needs.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Crackbone posted:

Also, I was thinking about getting a Nook Color and rooting it. It sounds like it's fairly capable, but can anybody give me a comparison how the cpu in the Nook compares to the Optimus? It's my only frame of reference for performance but based on what I've seen with the phone it performs well enough for my needs.

It's like the Droid 2 at 800mhz - it's a better processor than the Optimus.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Crackbone posted:

code:
                Optimus S    Nook
Processor Clock 600MHz       800MHz
Screen size     320x480      600x1024
I think part of the reason the Optimus seems so snappy is because it has the smaller resolution screen. A couple of people at work have them, and they don't seem to be any faster than my Nook at normal tasks. The Nook also has an 1100MHz kernel available, and there's a very active community for it. The Nook is a decent tablet on the cheap.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Chillmatic posted:

You dont use rom manager on droid 2, You need to download Droid 2 bootstrap recovery.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

code:
                Optimus S    Nook
Processor Clock 600MHz       800MHz
Screen size     320x480      600x1024
I think part of the reason the Optimus seems so snappy is because it has the smaller resolution screen. A couple of people at work have them, and they don't seem to be any faster than my Nook at normal tasks. The Nook also has an 1100MHz kernel available, and there's a very active community for it. The Nook is a decent tablet on the cheap.

1100? I heard about the 950Mhz overclock/undervolt, but people are actually getting it up that high?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Crackbone posted:

1100? I heard about the 950Mhz overclock/undervolt, but people are actually getting it up that high?

Yes. I was using it on my Nook before I put Honeycomb on, and it was absolutely stable and awesome.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

You dont use rom manager on droid 2, You need to download Droid 2 bootstrap recovery.

Yep, I got that working. Kinda scary if I can't boot the device though. In case that happens, what are my options, since true recovery is only located in the OS?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Crackbone posted:

Yep, I've been running the 1.1Ghz kernel and it's been super stable. It's a slight overvolt instead of an undervolt, so it uses a tiny bit more power (I haven't noticed any battery difference). But that makes it a lot more stable, unlike the previous 950Mhz kernel.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chillmatic posted:

Yep, I got that working. Kinda scary if I can't boot the device though. In case that happens, what are my options, since true recovery is only located in the OS?

Worst case if you screwed things up, is you could get an SBF and reflash your phone to factory fresh.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.
So I just switched from Fresh to MIUI on an EVO 4G. I have been enjoying it but I started having problems with sending SMS. I did some full system wipe when installing MIUI, so I thought that maybe it had cleared my PRL or whatever, so I found a radio, PRL, etc pack and flashed that but it did not fix my issue. I did some looking around and it turns out that ASOP ROMs don't work with Sprint's network when it comes to messages over 160 characters? Is there a way around this? If not, I'll have to go back to Fresh because it's a bit ridiculous.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

TangyRaptor posted:

So I just switched from Fresh to MIUI on an EVO 4G. I have been enjoying it but I started having problems with sending SMS. I did some full system wipe when installing MIUI, so I thought that maybe it had cleared my PRL or whatever, so I found a radio, PRL, etc pack and flashed that but it did not fix my issue. I did some looking around and it turns out that ASOP ROMs don't work with Sprint's network when it comes to messages over 160 characters? Is there a way around this? If not, I'll have to go back to Fresh because it's a bit ridiculous.

I believe an option is Handcent SMS, which should break them up for you automatically.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

diarrhea for girls posted:

I believe an option is Handcent SMS, which should break them up for you automatically.

I'm not the biggest fan of Handcent, so I switched over to Go SMS. Both of them have the option to auto-split if you're on CDMA.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

zamin posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Handcent, so I switched over to Go SMS. Both of them have the option to auto-split if you're on CDMA.

Hadn't even heard of Go SMS and decided to give it a shot, I like it more than Handcent so thanks for the heads up!

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump
So it turns out you can root a nexus S without unlocking the bootloader (and thus not wiping your phone), just through a little fastboot boot loophole, the same loophole that let me make a nandroid before i rooted. so. DONE.

now to remember what to put on rooted phones

SetCPU, shootme, terminal emulator, rom manager, and titanium backup are a given. I'll give CM7 a go in a day or so (when it hits alpha 3)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is there a way to remove the clock from the statusbar in CM7 yet? And if not, is there a way to do it myself? I can live with my signal meter being bars (though I greatly prefer dB numbers) but having a clock on the statusbar just makes me feel like an Android stereotype and it's just useless anyway.

Edit: Found out how to remove the clock on my own.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 3, 2011

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Are lockscreen gestures a part of CM7? I'm using GingerVillain right now and I'm not sure who's responsible for this feature

Also, is there a way to customize the MIUI lockscreen (i.e. assign different apps. Place of phone/SMS)?

Thanks....

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Iananan posted:

So it turns out you can root a nexus S without unlocking the bootloader (and thus not wiping your phone), just through a little fastboot boot loophole, the same loophole that let me make a nandroid before i rooted. so. DONE.

now to remember what to put on rooted phones

SetCPU, shootme, terminal emulator, rom manager, and titanium backup are a given. I'll give CM7 a go in a day or so (when it hits alpha 3)

Wanna link to this loophole? Got a friend who wants to root without unlocking.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finally got around to rooting my EVO (had since July). Right now I am running Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo RLS 5 ROM. I love the look of it so much. I am running it untheme (with the transparent status bar mod and Rosie Wide mod). Only problem I been having is stock browser doesn't want to finish loading sites sometimes (never happens using Opera) and I seem to drop 3G more than I use to.

Now the dumb question. I am a newbie but would using a alternative kernel fix this? The thread list ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=793471 ) several different kernels and I was thinking about trying one.

If not what is the ROM I should be using? I was thinking about CM7 because I really like some of themes I have been seeing.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump

Casao posted:

Wanna link to this loophole? Got a friend who wants to root without unlocking.

sure, it's on XDA here

but you just download the clockwork mod crespo image, and the SU flashable zip

then boot your phone into bootloader (power and vol up), open up a CMD window, and type "fastboot boot *recovery image.img*" and flash the SU zip from the shiny new recovery.

then install rom manager from the market, and flash the recovery again through that.

oh, rename install-recovery.sh in system/etc to install-recovery.sh.old to stop the stock recovery reinstalling every boot (do this with super manager or root explorer)

then to revert to stock recovery (for updates or returns), just rename it back, and reboot.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm not sure what has happened to my Evo Shift. Before I rooted my phone, the battery could seriously last 36+ hours on very light usage. However once rooting, deleting bloatware and installing a few root apps, my Evo Shift barely lasts 16ish hours.

One thing I have noticed is that my phone gets hot now, I sent maybe 15 texts over the span of2 hours, had it in my pocket and I could feel that it was getting hot and the battery dropped really fast. Just now I browsed the web for maybe 2 minutes, put the phone in my pocket, drove for 10 minutes, pulled my phone out and I could feel it was hot, showed as 37*C. Battery is at 66%, 6 hours and 30 minutes off charge, battery use says display at 58% with 30 minutes on, everything else is very low.

Has rooting caused higher drain rate for anyone else?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drevoak posted:

I'm not sure what has happened to my Evo Shift. Before I rooted my phone, the battery could seriously last 36+ hours on very light usage. However once rooting, deleting bloatware and installing a few root apps, my Evo Shift barely lasts 16ish hours.

One thing I have noticed is that my phone gets hot now, I sent maybe 15 texts over the span of2 hours, had it in my pocket and I could feel that it was getting hot and the battery dropped really fast. Just now I browsed the web for maybe 2 minutes, put the phone in my pocket, drove for 10 minutes, pulled my phone out and I could feel it was hot, showed as 37*C. Battery is at 66%, 6 hours and 30 minutes off charge, battery use says display at 58% with 30 minutes on, everything else is very low.

Has rooting caused higher drain rate for anyone else?

Do you have SetCPU installed? If you do, make sure you didn't set it to always stay overclocked.

ldo
Jun 12, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm an idiot and posted this to the wrong thread:
--
So I am fiddling with my Evo, trying to install Cyanogenmod, having already run Unrevoked. I follow all the instructions, and it chugs along, saying Hi, Welcome to Cyanogen or whatever, and then the bar fills up and it errors out with

quote:

Welcome to CyanogenMod-6.1.0-RC2-N1!
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img",
"boot")
E:Error in /sdcard/update-cm-6.1.0-RC2-N1-signed
.zip
(Status 7)

I can get back to the stock PC136img with a little bit of wrangling Clockwork around, but Cyanogen looks neat and I'd like to use it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

fishmech posted:

Do you have SetCPU installed? If you do, make sure you didn't set it to always stay overclocked.

Nope, haven't messed with overclocking yet. Just deleted some sprint apps, installed TB and wireless tether.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drevoak posted:

Nope, haven't messed with overclocking yet. Just deleted some sprint apps, installed TB and wireless tether.

Do you have wireless tether constantly enabled? Doing that sucks up a lot of power and will make the phone run hot.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

fishmech posted:

Do you have wireless tether constantly enabled? Doing that sucks up a lot of power and will make the phone run hot.

My phone does get hot enough to make me think I have it running but it never is. It just feels like too much of a coincidence, battery life was fine before root, now it heats up and drains the battery big time.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

ldo posted:

I'm an idiot and posted this to the wrong thread:
--
So I am fiddling with my Evo, trying to install Cyanogenmod, having already run Unrevoked. I follow all the instructions, and it chugs along, saying Hi, Welcome to Cyanogen or whatever, and then the bar fills up and it errors out with

I can get back to the stock PC136img with a little bit of wrangling Clockwork around, but Cyanogen looks neat and I'd like to use it.

You appear to be attempting to flash an out of date Cyanogenmod release candidate for the N1 where you should be flashing this for the Evo (aka Supersonic): http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/supersonic/update-cm-6.1.2-Supersonic-signed.zip

Did Unrevoked prompt you to install that particular one or what?

ldo
Jun 12, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

chestnut santabag posted:

You appear to be attempting to flash an out of date Cyanogenmod release candidate for the N1 where you should be flashing this for the Evo (aka Supersonic): http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/supersonic/update-cm-6.1.2-Supersonic-signed.zip

Did Unrevoked prompt you to install that particular one or what?

Bah, ignore that error message, I had copy-pasted from a google search that led to someone that was having the same Assert Failed - Status 7 error. I was installing the proper Evo one from the Cyanogen site.

I gather from the last couple of pages I should just wait until CM7 is out since it will have all the fun 2.3 toys in it? Maybe my phone will magically get better by then.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Crackbone posted:

The custom rom you're looking for is called ThundeROM.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/45401-rom-thunderom-v1-6-2-1-22-2011-a.html

http://www.digital-ops.net/ac/tr.html

It runs great on my Optimus.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
In case anyone's wondering, the latest Sholes (OG Droid) nightlies for CM7 are pretty drat stable, occasional reboots but they're infrequent, and it runs very snappy, much better than stock does. My girlfriend's very happy with it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

big mean giraffe posted:

In case anyone's wondering, the latest Sholes (OG Droid) nightlies for CM7 are pretty drat stable, occasional reboots but they're infrequent, and it runs very snappy, much better than stock does. My girlfriend's very happy with it.

Are the LEDs working fine? The older builds didn't have that working right so my friend held off on the nightlies for a while.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Are the LEDs working fine? The older builds didn't have that working right so my friend held off on the nightlies for a while.

They've been working since build 8 or so, whenever I started getting them for her.

*edit* Just double-checked, yes, since at least build 8 they've been working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have an original verizon Droid that I love, but the wife is begging for it and letting me use her upgrade to get the latest and greatest. She isn't letting me wait for the Thunderbolt :(.

I suppose my two choices are either the Samsung Fascinate or the Droid X (or Droid 2?).

I am very unclear about what I can and cannot do with these phones with regards to "rooting" them. The Droid I use is rooted, has SPrecovery, all that bullshit on it, and I greatly enjoy putting new roms on it every few weeks to try things out.

My understanding is that this isn't completely possible with the Droid X, as it can be rooted, but you can't replace the boot loader? How exactly does this limit me? When I look at droidforums.net they seem to have plenty of ROM options for the Droid X, so how is that happening?

At the same time, the Fascinate seems to be fully rootable (whatever that means), but looking at droidforums.net there doesn't seem to be much going on with it. Hardly a single rom.

Can some one please clear this up for me?!