Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
B. Because I don't see how it would lead to abandoning anything. This is the perfect time to press the attack and comstar has some more important things to worry (tukayid) about than steiner "reinforcing" itself for a clan attack. If the CC is too busy mucking with the FWL then there's not much stopping us.

My guess where this is going to lead to is forcing CS to "accidentally" ship some lostech to the DC just like it did in the real universe. This helps the DC defense against the clans but not before the FS take a nice chunk of buffer for its northern border.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

No. I really didn't.

I'm aware that you probably didn't, but I felt compelled to say it anyway. Either incarnation belongs on the list though.

TildeATH posted:

Comstar interdiction... Somebody needs to create a contingency, like a Pony Express with jumpships, so they can't hold us hostage again.

The funny thing is, the FedSuns have a system in place for exactly that sort of thing - and it's much better than a JumpShip Pony Express - but I'm not sure exactly when it came into being in the canon.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Arquinsiel posted:

Any regiment who gets that much respect from the Wolfs Dragoons are not someone you want to forget about.

Makes sense though, since the ELH is basically the group that's most loyal to the Star League in the end. Does it make me a big baby if their story gets me a little choked up?

I've been wondering for a while, what's up with the Battletech wiki? Was it written by Russians and passed through babelfish a few times, or what? I would've guessed German, but the diction just doesn't feel like German to me.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 2, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Fraction Jackson posted:

I'm aware that you probably didn't, but I felt compelled to say it anyway. Either incarnation belongs on the list though.

The funny thing is, the FedSuns have a system in place for exactly that sort of thing - and it's much better than a JumpShip Pony Express - but I'm not sure exactly when it came into being in the canon.

I think it has gone the way of the Helm Memory Core, i.e. didn't happen.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A. The Fox wouldn't risk an HPG embargo when he can get the Dracs to break the truce, and moving the entire army to the Liao border seems a bit extreme.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I vote A. Hanse is cunning, so he should realize that pissing off ComStar is a really, really bad idea. Let the other guys do it and get screwed by ComStar's response.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
drat, always a bit too late for one of PoptartNinja's votes, but I'll still toss in my two cents. PoptartsNinja is presenting us with the opportunity to gently caress with the canon beyond even his modifications. I'm voting B because I wanna find out just how deep this rabbit hole can go.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Voting A because I think it will move us closer to a FWL scenario the quickest.

No, YOU shut up!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Fraction Jackson posted:

I know. That was my way of retconning it so that I invented it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Voting C for all the right reasons. If this is a real threat that Kurita needs to deal with at the strategic level then we only stand to gain by letting them commit heavily. Comstar interdiction... Somebody needs to create a contingency, like a Pony Express with jumpships, so they can't hold us hostage again.

I don't know if anyone has enough JumpShips to do that. Right now there are like 1,500 between all five Houses. To conduct wars, Hanse Davion generally ends up commandeering civilian transports (another reason Davion is so poor, comparatively).

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

TildeATH posted:

I know. That was my way of retconning it so that I invented it.

...my God. Why didn't I think of doing something like that?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Fraction Jackson posted:

...my God. Why didn't I think of doing something like that?

Because you aren't an evil genius?

Also, why does everyone say Hanse should get a space-asian wife? No love for a Marik?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Duncan Marik is a mystery to everyone right now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Duncan Marik is a mystery to everyone right now.

Are you proposing some kind of Romeo/Mercutio thing involving Duncan and Hanse?

Hey PTN, how do you want us to approach our piloting? Do you want us to just handle playing BT and you'll handle the storyline or is there room for some pilot-based storytelling?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

TildeATH posted:

Hey PTN, how do you want us to approach our piloting? Do you want us to just handle playing BT and you'll handle the storyline or is there room for some pilot-based storytelling?

I have a hunch there will be more room for us to do more than chatter in character once we hit the point where we are commanders instead of pilots, as we will be eventually.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

elitebuster posted:

Because you aren't an evil genius?

Also, why does everyone say Hanse should get a space-asian wife? No love for a Marik?

If you can't beat them, joingently caress them.

TildeATH posted:

Maybe Hanse can be the King James of battletech!

But seriously, are there any gay characters in battletech?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 2, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

WarLocke posted:

The first 2/3 of that is true. :colbert:

I love the interstellar conspiracies books so much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't know if it is something that comes up much. Historically, yes, though.

There's a discussion on it in one of the novels. "if Victor and Galen [Victor's sidekick] were lovers, that wouldn't garner much attention. But a child out of wedlock certainly would" or something.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Longinus00 posted:

Maybe Hanse can be the King James of battletech!

But seriously, are there any gay characters in battletech?

I was thinking he could be more of a Richard Cœur de Lion

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Its kind of hard to tell for sure, since most of the characters are nobles and so even the gay members of the family will suck it up and marry for alliance and offspring. Family duty, plus you decrease your chance to inherit.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I vote for Option E: Invade everyone. The Combine, the Capellans, the Lyrans, the Free Worlds, the Clans, Comstar, everyone. Hell, we should invade ourselves so that our citizens don't feel left out. I have a good feeling about this plan! The Federated Suns will unite the stars!

We have the military for that right?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Going to vote A. No reason to back down at this point, but no reason to invite Comstar's ire.

C is choice no.2 because its the Hanse thing to do.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Defiance Industries posted:

Its kind of hard to tell for sure, since most of the characters are nobles and so even the gay members of the family will suck it up and marry for alliance and offspring. Family duty, plus you decrease your chance to inherit.

It occurs to me that a lot of Clanners are likely gay or lesbian; their society actively discourages natural birth and breeding practices in favor of eugenics. At least within the Warrior Caste, that seems like a very naturally conducive environment for homosexuality.

...drat it, brain, stop picturing Joanna and Marthe Pryde making out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Doesn't the fluff with the clans specifically have (hetero) sexual encounters though?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Gotta vote A. Ain't ready to gently caress with ComStar.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Volmarias posted:

Doesn't the fluff with the clans specifically have (hetero) sexual encounters though?

That shouldn't stop our pilots from actively promoting the opposite... on the com channels... during the fight.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Volmarias posted:

Yeeep. It discourages natural births but encourages sexxin' up the ladies. Plus the Clans have mixed units of male and female warriors, so it's not like they're in the Navy or something.

Now, if you want something that'll make you reach for the brain bleach, think about the fact that the mystery unit we aren't talking about probably gets involved in that too.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Volmarias posted:

It does, but that's likely because all the writers are straight dudes. Thinking about it from a sociological standpoint, however, eugenics + discouragement of natural breeding + severe social stigma against children born naturally + total lack of marriage = homosexuality is going to happen a LOT.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Agent Interrobang posted:

I'll help.

Samantha Clees

Edit: Also, the only canon homosexual characters I can think of are historical figures. One really, really fabulous Davion prince, and Terens Amaris, who basically inherited the Rim Worlds League because she was really special friends with the female First Consul.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 2, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It does, but that's likely because all the writers are straight dudes. Thinking about it from a sociological standpoint, however, eugenics + discouragement of natural breeding + severe social stigma against children born naturally + total lack of marriage = homosexuality is going to happen a LOT.

I'm sure the Clans have mastered space travel and weapons and never bothered to come up with birth control or sterilization. Or just throwing the babies out the window or something. There is a stigmata against the products of the natural conception, but not the parents. They're still pure warriors.

I find it really hard to believe that not liking naturally born children is enough to make otherwise straight men turn away from a bunch of toned chicks in skintight bodysuits and ask one of the guys near them if they're up for some gay sex.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

C is choice no.2 because its the Hanse thing to do.

You know, it is. Changing my vote to C

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'm sure the Clans have mastered space travel and weapons and never bothered to come up with birth control or sterilization.

Actually, they have. It's chemical, and in the food.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Voting A. Goddamn this thread moves fast.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Natural born children may be discouraged among the Clans, but sex itself is not. From what I understand through the books, sex is seen as a recreational activity with little in the way of strings attached, and even then the odds of the woman getting pregnant are slim (but of course it does happen, Diana Pryde for example). It's sort of similar to the way Brave New World approached the concept of sexual relationships.

Now of course I'm sure there would be homosexual interaction between clanners but I doubt it happens that much more often than it would anywhere else.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Yeeep. It discourages natural births but encourages sexxin' up the ladies. Plus the Clans have mixed units of male and female warriors, so it's not like they're in the Navy or something.

Now, if you want something that'll make you reach for the brain bleach, think about the fact that the mystery unit we aren't talking about probably gets involved in that too.

At some point, say between them and the wispy aerospace pilots, you have to wonder if it's just not safer for everyone to just say no. :stare:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

PoptartsNinja posted:

This, I belive. I also think that it says that Peri had to change her body chemistry in order to concive in one of the Jade Pheonix books.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was mostly being sarcastic. I knew at the very least they had the capability of sterilizing large volumes of people given what happened when they annihilated the Wolverines. That's a good point though, I had forgotten they were doping the food.

My point was mostly that guys in real life don't generally bother thinking about getting a girl pregnant beforehand, an entire race of people aren't suddenly going to turn to homosexuality because of a slim chance the woman might get pregnant.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

It occurs to me that a lot of Clanners are likely gay or lesbian; their society actively discourages natural birth and breeding practices in favor of eugenics. At least within the Warrior Caste, that seems like a very naturally conducive environment for homosexuality.

It seems like it would be simple to sterilize the guys or extract the eggs from the women or something and then they can get their sibko on as much as they want.

quote:

Oh hey, sweet dreams tonight. :quagmire:

Natasha walks in on Joanna and Marthe in a hot tub... Action!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Just so I am clear on thing I will ask. Interdiction by Comstar cuts off all real time communication, correct? And that is considered one of the most important factors in BT's universe for being able to maintain their empires and campaigns, yes? I wonder what fiendish way PTN would enforce such a black out on the players. :ohdear:

Also given the recent discussion on Clan sexy time: "Lets All Play Battletech and write lesbian mech-pilot fan-fiction." :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Natasha walks in on Joanna and Marthe in a hot tub... while driving a Timber Wolf. Lesbians vs. laser beams! Action!

Fixed for :black101:

A more realistic scenario:

Natasha walks in on Joanna and Marthe in a hot tub. Jealousy flares up, and the matter is taken before the Jade Falcon Clan Council, who decree a trial by combat. Joanna defeats Natasha, who promptly declares a Trial of Refusal to contest the decision. A dozen smoking 'mech corpses later, Strike Galaxy Alpha is activated to deploy to the Lyran front. Marthe, in despair and rage at these events, declares a Rite of Possession to prevent her lovers' mechs' deployment. After another dozen mechs are destroyed, Marthe wins her Trial of Possession. Then Clan Wolf hears about a sweet hot tub party and promptly invades.

Hot tubs: 1
Lesbians: 3
Rounds of ammunition expended: 84,391
Total tonnage of destroyed/disabled battlemechs: 466
Sex scenes: 0
Battles: at least 4

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 2, 2011

• Locked thread