Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Still manages to keep up with the KTMs :v:

Z3n gets on 690. Starts it. Flips down visor. Clicks it into 1st gear. Immediately 12 o'clocks it. Total distance traveled: 20 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Z3n gets on 690. Starts it. Flips down visor. Clicks it into 1st gear. Immediately 12 o'clocks it. Total distance traveled: 20 inches.

20 inches is being generous, I'm pretty sure it just went vertical.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Zool gets on DRZ. Starts it. Clicks it into 1st gear. Stalls it. Starts it. Stalls it. Starts it. Rides... wants 690 back. Total distance traveled 20 feet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Z3n posted:

The answer is:

LC4:
Vibration, burping the frame, cost, engine that likes to blow bearings all the drat time, expense, frequent oil changes.
690:
You can buy 2 DRZs for the cost of one 690.

The vibration is bad on the pre...07? bikes. But it sort of adds a charm to it. I loved riding my friends 625 SMC because it backfired like a bitch, vibrated like a paint shaker, and couldn't keep the front wheel down. It added that extra bit of supermoto charm.

The 07+ are expensive though I'll give you that. But the pre 07 625 and such are the same price if not cheaper. But I thought the LC4 was a reliable motor? And 3k oil changes? What is the drz interval?

I road with a husky 510, KTM (510? I think? Converted to sumo), and Drz. They're all great bikes don't get me wrong. But when it came to the straights. What, with all my torque. They couldn't even keep up for a second. I was just zoooooom out of there.

Why you need a KTM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFd4t0M_XmU

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 28, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
The 625cc LC4s have a main bearing failure "issue". Mine survived 20,000 miles or so, but there are tales of woe from Duke owners with far less than that.

The DRZ doesn't have two filters, nor does it require you to pump 1/3 of the oil through a hole in the frame and then burp it.

I also can't believe the fit and finish on a DR-Z could be worse than it was on my Duke.

I'd probably own a 690 SMC (except that I can get 3 DR-Zs for the same price), but the older bikes are made of cheese and shitemetal.

Christoff posted:

The 07+ are expensive though I'll give you that. But the pre 07 625 and such are the same price if not cheaper. But I thought the LC4 was a reliable motor? And 3k oil changes? What is the drz interval?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, I really wish the SMCs weren't so expensive. I'm waiting for an 08 to drop to around 6k.

I saw an 07 SMR for 6k. Looks like the ad is down now. It had the orange frame and some other orange flare. I know their maintenance intervals are higher. Wonder what else is special about them...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

This is why you should buy a DRZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Totally wanna find a DRZ in SF so I can do that during my holiday.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Saga posted:

The 625cc LC4s have a main bearing failure "issue". Mine survived 20,000 miles or so, but there are tales of woe from Duke owners with far less than that.

For what it's worth, only the pre-2003 LC4 engines did this, so nothing that would come with a supermoto (this is according to the Advrider megathread and was a reason I bought my SMC, because it had a "safe" LC4). The black LC4's did this.

To put the rest of the LC4 stuff to rest:

-Oil change every 3k (along with a super easy valve adjust that doesn't even need shims and takes an hour, WAY easier than my CBR ever was, I'll take the 3k valve adjusts over the 12k mega-horrible valve adjusts on sportbikes)

-Frame burp consists of filling frame with 600ml of oil (I don't have to use a pump, I just let it flow in with a plastic tube, there's no resistance) and then letting it seep out of a partially threaded-in plug, then tightening the plug, two minute job

-Yes parts are annoying to find if you need something random like a ground cable. Most wear parts are readily available through places like ktmhutt.com

-It doesn't vibrate that much and I came from inline-4 bikes (one of which was a shaft drive!)

-Just as there are stories of people grenading at 15k, there are stories of people going 70k with no replacement parts needed

Edit: They do come from the factory needing some tinkering, though... =(

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 28, 2011

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Up here, SMC's can be had for 6k. I love the 'how many DRZs can you get for one SMC' economy we've all unofficially agreed upon.

Fuzzy is right about the pre-2003 engines. There are safe LC4s and not safe LC4's.

625/640/690 are the Supermotos we ever talk about, and those don't randomly explode. You don't need to take them apart every weekend. It's not a two day process to change the oil. They are all around fantastic bikes.

Some of the offshoots, 450 SMR, 525 SMR, 630 smc, etc are a lot more race bred/rare and require more attention. Same is true for Husky: Buy a 610 and you'll never have to worry about the thing blowing up. Buy a 510 and you'll take better care of it, but if you bought a 510 you are also probably aware you bought a factory race bike with lights on it.

It's about what you want. DRZs are fun little bikes. They can be had for cheap, you can wrench on them endlessly for fun and not necessity, huge after market, they'll go forever, and they'll get great fuel economy.

Someday, while your putting along wishing you had a 6th gear, a 690 is going to wheelie past you at 70 MPH.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

The vibration is bad on the pre...07? bikes. But it sort of adds a charm to it. I loved riding my friends 625 SMC because it backfired like a bitch, vibrated like a paint shaker, and couldn't keep the front wheel down. It added that extra bit of supermoto charm.

I road with a husky 510, KTM (510? I think? Converted to sumo), and Drz. They're all great bikes don't get me wrong. But when it came to the straights. What, with all my torque. They couldn't even keep up for a second. I was just zoooooom out of there.

Why you need a KTM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFd4t0M_XmU

In all fairness, I'm sorta being a bitch about things here. I did a fair amount of research into the LC4 engines and they're sort of hit or miss because different ones run different amounts of oil, depending on which years you get you may experience clutch bearing issues (my friend's 02 Duke II had this issue, total pain in the rear end).

I'd also like to ride another LC4 powered one, as I think that the Duke 2 I rode might have had some other issues that was causing it to vibrate that bad. I don't usually bitch about vibes on engines, but that bike caused my hands to fall asleep in like 15 minutes. It's fine when you test ride the bike, but when you take a 200-300 mile day on it, it turns into agony. And it felt like the LC4 ran out of steam at right around the same area as my DRZ.

Spiffness posted:

Up here, SMC's can be had for 6k. I love the 'how many DRZs can you get for one SMC' economy we've all unofficially agreed upon.

Fuzzy is right about the pre-2003 engines. There are safe LC4s and not safe LC4's.

625/640/690 are the Supermotos we ever talk about, and those don't randomly explode. You don't need to take them apart every weekend. It's not a two day process to change the oil. They are all around fantastic bikes.

Some of the offshoots, 450 SMR, 525 SMR, 630 smc, etc are a lot more race bred/rare and require more attention. Same is true for Husky: Buy a 610 and you'll never have to worry about the thing blowing up. Buy a 510 and you'll take better care of it, but if you bought a 510 you are also probably aware you bought a factory race bike with lights on it.

It's about what you want. DRZs are fun little bikes. They can be had for cheap, you can wrench on them endlessly for fun and not necessity, huge after market, they'll go forever, and they'll get great fuel economy.

Someday, while your putting along wishing you had a 6th gear, a 690 is going to wheelie past you at 70 MPH.

The thing that turned me off Husky 610s was they apparently have a 10k cam chain interval, thanks to either lovely cam chains or a lovely CCT design.

I buy my bikes so that I can ride them though, not wrench on them. Chances are my next sumo is going to be a 690 or a 610 though, considering you can get 610s for a song these days (there was one up for 3800$ about 6 months ago).

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

my next sumo

Are you missing your DRZ yet? :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I buy my bikes so that I can ride them though, not wrench on them.

ZX9R

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Zool posted:

ZX9R

And the CBR F2. And the ZX-6R (or was it a CBR600RR?).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

ZX9R

Technically I didn't actually buy that bike. My friend did and he didn't sort out the paperwork before handing over money and the bike ended up being unregisterable in CA.

And it's not a motorcycle anymore, it's a pile of parts in teh garage. :colbert:

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

And the CBR F2. And the ZX-6R (or was it a CBR600RR?).

The F2 was a favor for a friend, and the ZX6R...ok, you got me there.

I guess what it comes down to is I like to have reliable bikes for daily drivers or something I'm planning on "keeping". Project bikes are whatever falls into my lap, which was the situation with all 3 of those bikes.

I only miss my DRZ in my dreams. Endless wheelies down endless roads.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I had an 02 Duke II as well, and the vibes weren't that bad. Something was obviously going wrong with your buddy's bike. Maybe a bearing? :nyd:

The fit and finish however was appalling. I mean, someone paid through the nose for that thing when it was new.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

I had an 02 Duke II as well, and the vibes weren't that bad. Something was obviously going wrong with your buddy's bike. Maybe a bearing? :nyd:

The fit and finish however was appalling. I mean, someone paid through the nose for that thing when it was new.

I have no idea, that bike was traded after a month for a 600RR which was then traded after a month for a DRZ400SM. :v: Don't know, don't care, it's someone else's problem now!

On the flip side, I just missed buying an 02 Duke 2 for 200$. Potential engine issues but everything else was in good shape. :(

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

This thread needs more supermoto racing....and booty...and crashes! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInbOZzWSlA

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I almost bought a drz 3 years ago, but it was sold before my funds cleared and I drank it all away :(. I did get to ride a friend's a couple times, and I had several wheelie dreams afterwards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So the new AFX FX-37 is about to come out (FX-39)

http://www.motostrano.com/afxfx39ds.html

quote:

The all new AFX FX39 DS Helmet that replaced the FX37 offers a number of technical and aesthetic improvements over the previous model. Not only is a new model, but for 2011, you also get to convert this bike from a DS/MX style helmet to a street helmet by removing the MX visor. This helmet model meets or exceeds both ECE 22.05 and DOT FMVSS-218 motorcycle helmet safety standards. Please Note: Only ECE approved helmets purchased from European importers carry the ECE certification markings. This is due to ECE regulations. HELMET WEIGHT A large-size FX-39DS weighs 1.59 kg or 3.5 lbs • An aerodynamic shell design constructed using an advanced lightweight composite poly-alloy • A flip-up, flush-fit, quick-release, single-turn screw face shield with side covers. The shield itself is optically correct, compound-curved, scratch-resistant and protects against UV-rays • There are several tinted shields available for this model • Shield can be removed to allow open face riding or goggle use • A helmet liner and cheek pads made with a hypoallergenic and anti-microbial nylon, all of which are removable and washable • 9 points of ventilation with chin, side, forehead, top and rear vents • Retention system is quick release with sewn on ECE logo • Provides ample ear cavity space for speakers • A clear coat finish to protect paint & graphics • Comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty • INCLUDES FLAT BLACK SIDE-COVERS AND SCREW PLUG FOR SHIELD USE WITHOUT THE VISOR

I'm sure it's worlds better than the first one. They probably improved everything everyone was complaining about. To be honest I'm not sure which I like better aesthetically. Alas, more importantly. They have pretty much every ugly color but the KTM orange I wanted oh so bad. I was holding out for this helmet specifically for the improvements and I assumed there'd be an orange model.

I asked and got this

quote:

Orange is not one of the colors choices in this years catalogue for the
FX-39, that doesn't mean there won't be in the future. We have no time line
on any changes, or if there will be a change for sure.

I don't think I can wait anymore. I'll probably just get flat black. Just slap one of these Tron reflective stickers on the back and I'm set.

So no orange but butt-ugly camo!

http://www.motostrano.com/afxfx39dscah.html

And some other colors.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/search.jsp?resultType=subCategories&searchString=afx+fx+39&store=null&x=0&y=0

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do they have replacement shields for those? Like, a polarized one?

I guess you could probably wear sunglasses under that... But they'd probably fog up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Like the previous version I think they're already selling the smoked/tinted ones.

I usually just rock sunglasses under my helmet, works fine. I'd imagine it'll work fine for this one, too.

Not sure about polarized.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Would it be a bad idea to post local for sale ads from our respective areas of the country? I'm a compulsive craigslist shopper I see a Drz and a Duke for sale. I'm not in the market but maybe one of you guys are?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coredump posted:

Would it be a bad idea to post local for sale ads from our respective areas of the country? I'm a compulsive craigslist shopper I see a Drz and a Duke for sale. I'm not in the market but maybe one of you guys are?

I don't think so. Personally I like keeping an eye on the country wide motorcycle market because sometimes it's nice to know what bikes are selling for elsewhere. I've definitely bought bikes from out of state when the price was right.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

I don't think so. Personally I like keeping an eye on the country wide motorcycle market because sometimes it's nice to know what bikes are selling for elsewhere. I've definitely bought bikes from out of state when the price was right.

Yeah I'd like this too.. Maybe an OP that has the avg price based on some samples that could be updated regular.y.. So we could watch price trends drop and then buy bikes at the bottom.

I'd probably drive 500 miles for a good deal on a DRZ. Once I get some money, that is. :smith:

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Oops. Look what I did:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

^ white looks really good

So what is the deal with the 07 SMR? Just a race street bike with lower maintenance intervals? I imagine they're pretty rare.

I love the orange frame

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2200450908.html

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Has anyone heat wrapped their pipes? How effective would exhaust/header wrap be if my boot touches it while I ride?

Despite how glaring an issue the boot burning exhaust is on Huskys, a good any heat shield doesn't exist for my year. I already toasted one icon boot and one heel cup on my fairly new Sidis and have failed for millionth time to find a drat heat shield online that will fit. I'm about ready to sawzall the bitch off.

Also that white does look really good.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Okay we got a 2008 Ktm 690 Duke for $7000

And a 2007 drz400sm for $3300

These are two that popped up in Atlanta here recently on craigslist. Also, is a Husaberg 450se just a pure dirt bike or is it a supermoto too?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Holy poo poo speaking of white bike that duke is so sexy :fap:

I want to ride a duke so bad. In a perfect world I'd own a SM and a duke but for now If I have to choose between the two I'll keep my SM but Dukes just seem like such awesome bikes. I bet they out corner any bike.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Has anyone heat wrapped their pipes? How effective would exhaust/header wrap be if my boot touches it while I ride?

A buddy of mine had his headers ceramic coated on his Subaru, and you can pretty much grab the pipes with the engine hot, the stuff is good up to 3500 degrees or something crazy.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

A buddy of mine had his headers ceramic coated on his Subaru, and you can pretty much grab the pipes with the engine hot, the stuff is good up to 3500 degrees or something crazy.

Meh I'm really just looking for a quick fix so I can get back to flogging it without destroying my $300 boots. $30 worth of black exhaust wrap, spray and ties should work well enough?

Hmm...Harley guy purchases supermoto from the dealer and decides to sell it 5 miles posts later. Talk about an impulse buy.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?109883-Did-i-get-a-good-deal-or-what.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've done header wrap on cars before and it seemed to work well, would think it might be a good cheap solution to the melting boots problem.
Wrap it properly (pre-soak the wrap), paint it with some high temp paint if desired and see how it goes. Should look pretty cool too.

Weather was nice today and after giving my roommate poo poo for the SXV450 sitting in the living room because he is too afraid it is going to blow up we fired it up. I took it for a short spin around the neighborhood...holy poo poo. Between the super touchy throttle, low weight and loads of torque that is a wild bike. I avoid doing wheelies on the street except on this thing I did a drat wheelie giving it a bit of gas coming out of a corner. If there was a motard track within two hours (the gap doesn't count) I would own one of those.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 12, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

Meh I'm really just looking for a quick fix so I can get back to flogging it without destroying my $300 boots. $30 worth of black exhaust wrap, spray and ties should work well enough?

Hmm...Harley guy purchases supermoto from the dealer and decides to sell it 5 miles posts later. Talk about an impulse buy.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?109883-Did-i-get-a-good-deal-or-what.

Guy sounds like a true idiot. Spends $5,500, rides a few miles in an enclosed neighborhood, and realizes that the supermoto performs wonderfully and he doesn't like it! I don't really get how you can dismiss a supermoto like that unless you truly just want to cruise around at or below the speed limit everywhere and never actually ride in a spirited manner.

idiot posted:

I dont know what i thought i would get, took a chance, trying to relive my childhood on mx maybe. I guess i should say the bike gave me what i wanted, but i guess i really didnt want it afterall.

And then, of course, he goes and try to sell it at a profit to himself, right after posting about his great deal.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 15, 2011

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Supermoto's are a great bike to not speed on- you just always do 60. I've never been nicked for speeding on a SM. You do 60-65 on the highway, and 60-65 in the 'WARNING 20 MPH TURN!' areas. Just one, constant, wonderful speed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, what Spiff said. The only trouble you'll get into is a cop pulling you over (somehow) for riding down stairs in a park. Or jumping off loading docks/speed bumps. Not for doing 100 mph on a public road.

Oh and wheelies/stoppies and lane splitting.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Christoff posted:

Yeah, what Spiff said. The only trouble you'll get into is a cop pulling you over (somehow) for riding down stairs in a park. Or jumping off loading docks/speed bumps. Not for doing 100 mph on a public road.

Oh and wheelies/stoppies and lane splitting.

Apparently 'Backing it in' is not an officially recognised method of cornering and may result in a 'dangerous riding' offence.

Nonsense!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Apparently 'Backing it in' is not an officially recognised method of cornering and may result in a 'dangerous riding' offence.

Nonsense!

The only appropriate response to a cop pulling you over when you get caught backing it in is "Oh my god, I thought I was going to crash it, did you see that, jesus christ".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n is right. If you think a cop saw you back-it-in, pull over immediately, take off your helmet, sit down and have yourself a panic attack. Smoke em if you got em. Afterall, you almost had a major traffic accident!

A cop actually told Zool once "There is a time and a place for everything"

That time is 'anywhere you wont hurt anybody' and the place is 'on the seat of a supermoto'

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I've gotten quite a few tickets over the years, and it seems to me the cops always came down hard on me. Since I've gotten a supermoto I've been pulled over more, but have been let go with a warning or no-point ticket. So in my case it's actually helped my driving record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've been pulled over on the SM but never ticketed. Police seem to have mercy on my moving traffic cone

• Locked thread