Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klyman
Oct 16, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

I think it was just a bad attempt at a troll.

Yes, very poor indeed.

Beaten on the clownshoe. I think it is absolutely stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

2012 New Beetle

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-volkswagen-beetle-spy-shots/#3824655

Second picture has PT Cruiser written all over it.
The whole design seems to have a hint of Porsche-meets-ugly-stick in it, although I can’t quite put my finger on what exactly it is that makes me think that. VW Beetle meets Porsche would make sense on a few levels, anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think it looks like a beetle anymore. They moved the hatch area too far back and now it really looks like a very bubbly hatchback.

It also has hints of TT in there.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Holy poo poo. Least interesting redesign ever.

E: Why do the headlights have a foreskin?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

travisray2004 posted:

Holy poo poo. Least interesting redesign ever.

E: Why do the headlights have a foreskin?

Jewish tradition, German car.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
looks like a cross between a PT Cruiser and Crossfire. Not good.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

Love the new Ferrari but I thought the back was a bit too 'swoopy', so...

It's a shame I suck at photoshop.

Good job, you threw the rear end end of a Renault Megane onto it and managed to make it look even worse.

eames posted:

2012 New Beetle

The whole design seems to have a hint of Porsche-meets-ugly-stick in it, although I can’t quite put my finger on what exactly it is that makes me think that. VW Beetle meets Porsche would make sense on a few levels, anyway.

I'm not sure where you see PT Cruiser, I certainly can't see this car pulling off faux-wood body paneling as well as the PT. And the roofline is all wrong. Its the current New Beetle, but with an elongated front end/more conventionally placed greenhouse, with the end result being that its proportions look completely wrong.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Has the New Beetle been on sale continuously since it was introduced? I haven't noticed many. Doubt this will make much of an impact.

redscare posted:

Good job, you threw the rear end end of a Renault Megane onto it and managed to make it look even worse.
You might say he gave it a fayzed butt.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Has the New Beetle been on sale continuously since it was introduced? I haven't noticed many. Doubt this will make much of an impact.

I see a whole bunch of them around Wichita, in fact one of my co-workers drives one (that's hellaflushed out with 18" rims)

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

eames posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

rscott posted:

I see a whole bunch of them around Wichita, in fact one of my co-workers drives one (that's hellaflushed out with 18" rims)

There's a couple million of the drat things here in Seattle as well. That and loving Priuses.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I wonder if the dashboard has been increased in length thanks to the longer hood. Because it already felt like you could park a jumbo-loving-jet on there.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

redscare posted:

I'm not sure where you see PT Cruiser, I certainly can't see this car pulling off faux-wood body paneling as well as the PT. And the roofline is all wrong. Its the current New Beetle, but with an elongated front end/more conventionally placed greenhouse, with the end result being that its proportions look completely wrong.

I don't know, my dad had the same reaction when I sent it to him; "So it's a PT Cruiser now..."

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

eames posted:

2012 New Beetle

This car is not the finished product. It is much closer to production than the last mule photograhped, but it still has tacked-on front and rear fascias from the current model. You can tell that the curve of the front wheel arch is not continuous and there is a second seam between the rear fender and rear bumper. It's a test mule.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Jork Juggler posted:

This car is not the finished product. It is much closer to production than the last mule photograhped, but it still has tacked-on front and rear fascias from the current model. You can tell that the curve of the front wheel arch is not continuous and there is a second seam between the rear fender and rear bumper. It's a test mule.

So, the body cladding might change slightly. The roofline won't.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, changes there wouldn't change the awkward profile seen in the middle pic.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I look forward to Clarkson pointing out the Porsche-ness of it to Hammond.

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid
gather ye round, and listen to my stupid

PS: This is me fellating capitalism:
:a2m:

Totally personal preference, but i made a slight modification that I think makes it look a bit nicer. I just can't stand those weird kinks in the roofline of cars.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Morphix posted:

I wonder if the dashboard has been increased in length thanks to the longer hood. Because it already felt like you could park a jumbo-loving-jet on there.

I think the effect is just the opposite. Since the the windshield isn't as far forward as it was, less of the engine bay will be under the dash, having the practical advantage of not being such a pain in the rear end to work on.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

heh. And I will continue to defend my redesign as at least I like it and that's good enough for me :colbert:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Alfa teases with a mid-engine, rwd, 850 kg convertible concept:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110202/COPY01/302029991/1164

Autonews posted:

TURIN -- Alfa Romeo plans to build a rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe that would become the brand's halo car.

Fiat's struggling sporty brand aims to complete a concept car for the innovative lightweight coupe for a planned Geneva auto show debut next month.

The concept is set to be built as the 4C GTA and go on sale for 40,000 euros (about $55,000).

Alfa enthusiasts have dreamed for almost two decades of the return of an affordable rear-drive model after the Duetto Spider was discontinued in 1994.

Alfa's 8C Competizione, which was built from 2007-2008, was too expensive for most Alfa buyers. The spider version of the 8C cost up to 213,000 euros and the car's production run was limited to 1,000 units.

Alfa is set to begin production of the 4C GTA by the end of 2012 in one of Fiat's factories in Italy. The automaker plans to build 20,000 to 25,000 units of the coupe over the following five years, two people familiar to the matter told Automotive News Europe.

The Fiat sources said that the 4C GTA could be sold in the United States, but no decision has been made yet.

A Fiat spokesman confirmed that Alfa is working on a concept car, but said its unveiling at the Geneva show is still uncertain because of “delays in the concept model construction.”

The 4C GTA was designed by Alfa's styling center in Turin and is said to be a rakish, very compact and extremely low two-seat coupe. Reports on Alfa's enthusiast blogs wrongly say the model was designed by Pininfarina S.p.A.

The 4C GTA will go on sale at a crucial time for Alfa in the final quarter of 2012 when the company also plans to introduce the Giulia mid-sized sedan to replace the slow-selling 159 and the brand's first ever SUV, a sister model to the Jeep Compass/Patriot replacement.

The 4C GTA should attract customers to Alfa showrooms to discover – and hopefully buy – the Giulia and the SUV, two key models in Fiat S.p.A. CEO Sergio Marchionne's plan to lift Alfa sales to 500,000 units by 2014. Alfa's global sales last year increased a modest 10.2 percent to 112,000 units despite the introduction of the Giulietta compact hatchback

Thanks to an innovative construction method, which combines carbon fiber and aluminum, the 4C GTA will be very lightweight. Alfa is targeting an 850kg (1,784 lbs) curb weight for the car.

The 4C GTA would have an impressive power-to-weight ratio below 3.5kg/hp despite being powered by the 1.8-liter, four-cylinder gasoline direct-injection engine offered in the Giulietta with the horsepower boosted to more than 250 hp from 235 hp.

As a comparison, the rear-engine, rear-drive Porsche Cayman coupe offers a 3.98kg/hp weight-to-power ratio even for the S performance model, where 320 hp has to move 1,275kg.

Alfa Romeo teamed up with Italy's Dallara Automobili, which is one of the world's largest producer of racecars to create the 4C GTA.

The car's structure is a development of the X-Bow, an extreme two-seat roadster launched in 2007 and engineered by Dallara for Austrian motorcycle maker KTM.

Dallara developed a carbon fiber cockpit for the 4C GTA, which features front and rear aluminum sub-frames to house the engine, as well as carry the pushrod suspensions and to absorb deformation in crash tests.

GTA is Alfa's acronym for Gran Turismo Alleggerita – Lightened Grand Touring in Italian – and was last used for the 147 GTA compact hatchback.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is one stunning design, I hope they actually go through with it and make it better than the X1/9.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Guys, I don't know how to feel about this:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/02/report-2012-honda-civic-si-getting-new-2-4l-engine-with-200-hp/

quote:

Known internally as "K24," the 2.4-liter engine slated for Civic Si use will be very similar to the powerplant currently used in the Acura TSX. No official power numbers have been divulged, but this engine currently makes 201 horsepower in the TSX, so we'll bet that Civic Si output will be somewhere between 200 and 210 hp. That isn't a huge increase over the 197 hp currently available from the Si's 2.0-liter four, but the 2.4-liter engine should prove to be a bit torquier. Look for something along the lines of 170 pound-feet in the 2012 model, whereas the current car only produces 139 lb-ft of twist.
A Civic Si with torque?!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Left Ventricle posted:

A Civic Si with torque?!

Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/02/report-2012-honda-civic-si-getting-new-2-4l-engine-with-200-hp/

A Civic Si with torque?!

Watch your mouth, next thing you know they'll put a turbo on it and for the first time ever there will be a Si with torque steer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
"Hey guys, we just built the Kia Forte Koup with a little more horsepower and no torsion beam in the rear!"
"Let's charge $2-6k more for it!"

I do dig the centre exit exhaust though.

From the comments:

quote:

Actually...I just went over to ToVTEC to read what was going on there, and I have to agree JPcar. This is just a bean-counters car, and apparently will have a cast-in exhaust manifold without VTEC on the exhaust side. What a joke. Honda lost their way, as all car companies do, when they let the accountants make the decisions and not the engineers. With their engine tech they could easily be screwing ~300 HP from 2.4L but just can't be bothered. I know I won't be buying another Honda until they change their ways...which is sad, since I love my Prelude.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 2, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

That is one stunning design, I hope they actually go through with it and make it better than the X1/9.

I'd be really impressed if they could keep those proportions. The engine is gonna be squeezed in pretty tight. Still, this might be the thing to offer some genuine competition to Miatas, which are going to be lighter in the next iteration.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kimbo305 posted:

I'd be really impressed if they could keep those proportions. The engine is gonna be squeezed in pretty tight. Still, this might be the thing to offer some genuine competition to Miatas, which are going to be lighter in the next iteration.

With Miatas? I doubt it. I don't cross shop by 20 grand. Maybe competing with the Boxster and Z4M. But it'll be priced so far above the Miata that I don't think you can even compare the two, unless the Miata is somehow a quicker car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

Hell, they could make it front-engined and easily keep those lines, I sure wouldn't mind.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
At this point we should consider ourselves lucky that the Civic Si isn't a regular Civic with an electric motor stuck onto the side a la CR-Z.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Hell, they could make it front-engined and easily keep those lines, I sure wouldn't mind.

I wouldn't mind its being FR, which it probably could be, going by the generous hood length (the concept there looks like a rebodied S2000, which ain't a bad thing), but the engineering team is probably locked down with MR already.
Yeah it might be a lot more expensive than a Miata, but I really don't think Alfa can pull off the incredible handling dynamics of the Boxster, or even be as good as the Z4. People would be upgrading from the Miata on the basis of style alone, which is a legit thing when looking at roadsters.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If they're using the Spyder as the spiritual ancestor, why wouldn't it be FR?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

DoLittle posted:

Alfa teases with a mid-engine, rwd, 850 kg convertible concept:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110202/COPY01/302029991/1164

Aren't those photos of the concept 2uottenta (or-whatever-the-hell it was called)? I had heard that the 4C would be based on that concept but there's just zero room for a MR or RR layout there.

Checked: Yep, that's the old concept, no images of the 4C yet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If they're using the Spyder as the spiritual ancestor, why wouldn't it be FR?

MR gets you more buzz, I suppose.

^^^ It's too bad the new concept has the potential to be uglier, then. I mean it might look great in that weird MR layout way, but it probably wouldn't look as sleek.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

^^^ It's too bad the new concept has the potential to be uglier, then. I mean it might look great in that weird MR layout way, but it probably wouldn't look as sleek.

Agreed, I would have preferred they stuck with the FR as well, the long nose on that concept looks stellar and the proportions in general are perfect.

Can't wait to see what this new concept is going to look like, I have a feeling it's going to completely change my mind about the MR/FR change.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Left Ventricle posted:

A Civic Si with torque?!

From the article: "And while these new Si numbers aren't leaps and bounds better than what's currently available, the easily flickable driving dynamics and rev-happy power should still make it an engaging steer."

I don't understand how a 2.4L engine with only 200hp could possibly be rev-happy. If it was making good torque at 8000rpm (like the current k20) it would have at least 240hp.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Have you driven a car with the high output K24?

Sure its not a K20a but peak power is still at 7000rpm (which is still what I'd call rev-happy compared to most other stuff in the class like the Mazda 2.5 and the Nissan 2.5 V6)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kimbo305 posted:

MR gets you more buzz, I suppose.

Now the rumor is that it's gonna be based on the KTM X-Bow which actually... almost makes sense?

If it is MR and has inboard front dampers and poo poo that will be cool as gently caress. With the X-Bow design the proportions could look FR ish I think:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jeez, I can't see that vehicle being worth the support costs to bring it to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ruh roh, the Mahindra pickup's fuel economy sucks:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/mahindra-tr40-rated-at-a-disappointing-1921-mpg.html