Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.
It doesn't matter the generation, teenage girls loving love buying singles. The idea of buying a full album and listening to songs they haven't heard on the radio physically repulses them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Singles sales are actually at an all time high in the UK. Went from 44m in 2002 to 120m in 2009.

Downloads aren't really the same thing as the singles of old, as the hundreds of shut down music shops across the country could tell you.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Am i the only one somewhat repulsed by Michel Roux's Service?

I've worked in hospitality before and it really is a lovely, thankless, overy stressful, underpaid line of work and to see it glorified as some kind of wonderjob for these people to aspire to is heartbreaking.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kin posted:

Dunno if this is what you're looking for but one of my mates does dubstep stuff and he just sent me this facebook group invite (literally 45 minutes ago) about some podcast thing he's doing with a lot of different dubstep artists and whatnot.

http://www.facebook.com/!/home.php?sk=group_183171788371293&ap=1

I've got sweet gently caress all idea about how facebook, groups and podcasts work (well i know how podcasts work, but i don't know how it all synchs up with that facebook group thing), but he's not just some dude who kickss about in his garage as he's done some DJing stuff and has his tracks played on XFM? or something.

edit: actually, i'm retarded and the link is somwhere down the bottom of the messages;

Dubstep ahoy - http://insight.dfrnt.co.uk/

Thanks, I'll check it out. A couple of my mates make dubstep as well, guess that's one of the reasons I go for it because it's so home made.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

marktheando posted:

Downloads aren't really the same thing as the singles of old, as the hundreds of shut down music shops across the country could tell you.

True, but the whole concept of owning music has changed/is changing.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kin posted:

I've worked in hospitality before and it really is a lovely, thankless, overy stressful, underpaid line of work and to see it glorified as some kind of wonderjob for these people to aspire to is heartbreaking.

Did you work at a Nanodo's or somewhere nice?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sion posted:

Did you work at a Nanodo's or somewhere nice?

Old Course Hotel in St. Andrews.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I liked Brooker. Kind of felt when he was talking about programmes like 'The Word' that it was similar to 10'Clock Live though.

I'm guessing Radcliffe and Maconie will be taking over Laurel Laverne/Huey Morgans slot, I dunno. I liked Radcliffe and Maconie on 2 as I don't always have access to digital radio, so Radio 2 is usually my second choice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're getting the weekday afternoon slot, 1 till 4 Monday to Friday.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
gently caress I need help remembering something.

Kid's show. Stop motion. I think some of the characters were dolls. This is the crucial part: there was an episode where one of the characters replaced their head with a stapler, and their arms with other things, and their body with something else, leaving them as this bizarre monster and (I think) causing their discarded body parts to morph back together.

It really sounds a lot like a nightmare but I swear it's real. Anyone remember this?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Inverse square posted:

gently caress I need help remembering something.

Kid's show. Stop motion. I think some of the characters were dolls. This is the crucial part: there was an episode where one of the characters replaced their head with a stapler, and their arms with other things, and their body with something else, leaving them as this bizarre monster and (I think) causing their discarded body parts to morph back together.

It really sounds a lot like a nightmare but I swear it's real. Anyone remember this?

Not Morph? I only ask 'coz you said "morph".

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
^^^ Nah, it wasn't morph; the characters talked, I remember that, and the stapler had a horrifying voice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Was the main character some 'whacky' green goblin toy thing that ate socks too?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Kin posted:

I know what you mean. I've been quite enjoying the series but I feel awful for the kids in it that the prize is to be a loving waiter. I have no idea what the tips are like in high-end service but there's no way it can be enough to justify them devoting their entire career to it when they're about 17.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Was the main character some 'whacky' green goblin toy thing that ate socks too?
That sounds very familiar, yes... holy poo poo goons, if you guys can help me wrangle a title out of "there was an episode where someone replaced their head with a stapler, it... like... the awesomeness would move me to donate my life's savings to charity or some poo poo

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Can probably do better than that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76BRgV7L94

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Cha-ching! Brilliant! Thanks so much... christ, THIS is the reason we have the internet, isn't it? This is the exact reason.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Always wondered what the gently caress that was from my childhood.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Uncertain Frog posted:

It doesn't matter the generation, teenage girls loving love buying singles. The idea of buying a full album and listening to songs they haven't heard on the radio physically repulses them.

Being a teenage girl, this isn't strictly true. I have bought a poo poo load of albums because of a single I heard on the radio.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Zorba the Greek posted:

Being a teenage girl, this isn't strictly true. I have bought a poo poo load of albums because of a single I heard on the radio.
the kind of teenage girl who posts on somethingawful.com is hardly a typical one though

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Acolyte! posted:

Astounding. I see the roots of several Pixar movies, the entire Resident Evil franchise, every first-person shooter cutscene, and the Japanese pantsu-fetish genre all rolled into one sublime piece of television.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

Acolyte! posted:

poo poo, I watched this all the time when I was younger... but must have blocked it from my memory because I had completely forgotten it existed until I saw this.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Paperhouse posted:

the kind of teenage girl who posts on somethingawful.com is hardly a typical one though
They're all over at Digitalspy. By Jove, that place is a bastion of undiscerning taste.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

What kind of primitive still uses a CD player? Guffaw i say to you, guffaw!

In all seriousness though, i think it's high time shops adopted a digital distribution system where you can pop in and buy an MP3 right there in the store and have it transfered to whatever device you've got on you (or a link emailed to you at home where you can then click and download it or something along those lines).
Why? Why would shops need to do this, especially if you had to download the song at home anyway where you could just use iTunes/Amazon/whatever anyway? Shops don't need to be connected to digital distribution at all, that's the whole point of it...

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Akuma posted:

Why? Why would shops need to do this, especially if you had to download the song at home anyway where you could just use iTunes/Amazon/whatever anyway? Shops don't need to be connected to digital distribution at all, that's the whole point of it...

They don't need to, but it might be a good idea with the way they're going out of business. Hell, nowadays the only shop in my town that sells CDs is bloody Sainsburys. I just hope that when HMV goes the way of the dinosaur it doesn't take Waterstones down too.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Flatscan posted:

They don't need to, but it might be a good idea with the way they're going out of business. Hell, nowadays the only shop in my town that sells CDs is bloody Sainsburys. I just hope that when HMV goes the way of the dinosaur it doesn't take Waterstones down too.
20 of the 60 shop closures announced are Waterstones.

But Waterstones long ago turned into a larger version of the Tesco books aisle. Small loss.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cerv posted:

But Waterstones long ago turned into a larger version of the Tesco books aisle. Small loss.

Small loss? Not really when you see that the only high-street bookselling presence in most towns are Waterstones and Smiths and the book section in most Smiths really is just the same as that in a supermarket.

If Waterstones goes down, unless you happen to live in a city, your only options are going to be Tom Clancy and Richard & Judy poo poo in Smiths and Sainsburys, or Amazon. While Amazon is good if you know exactly what you're looking for, it's lovely when it comes to finding new authors and expanding your literary horizons.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Did anyone see this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12355022

Looks like Sky is going to have some serious competition on it's hands.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Cerv posted:

A lot of those are where the Ottakar's buyout left two Waterstones in the same street, which obviously doesn't make a lot of sense. Waterstone's shops are pretty variable, too; the local staff have a fair amount of discretion on what to stock, so (for example) student towns tend to have a more interesting selection and fewer Peter Andre biographies.
Bizarrely, though, some of them (maybe all, I don't know) don't have control over their own lighting and heating. I know the Brighton branch has theirs controlled from Manchester, and when they're having after hours events sometimes Manchester forgets and turns off the lights. I have never met anyone who can explain how this could possibly be a good idea.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Acolyte! posted:

I was a little older when this was shown so I remember it fairly well. But the quality of the animation is pretty spectacular for TV, it must have cost a fortune

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Also, new Louis Theroux tonight about ultra zionists. BBC 2 at 9PM.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Metrication posted:

I love Theroux but I might explode with rage if I actually watch this.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hoops posted:

I know what you mean. I've been quite enjoying the series but I feel awful for the kids in it that the prize is to be a loving waiter. I have no idea what the tips are like in high-end service but there's no way it can be enough to justify them devoting their entire career to it when they're about 17.

While the place i worked was hoity toity (5 red stars whatever that means) i don't know how it would comepare to some of the places that these guys would be going into. Plus my place fit into the golfing demograph so may have different characteristics and expectations and whatnot.

Either way, tips were ok, but depended wildly on the customers. I think my higest sum was about £100, but i can't recall if that was for a weeks or two weeks work cumulative work over the busiest period of the year.

Either way, it's not a good way to live your life, i.e. hoping that the value of tips you get that week will be enough to help you pay your bills.

Hah, but what am i saying, they won't have high bills because they'll be too busy pulling triple shifts, skirting the very rims of legality, as their management try to milk them for all the worth they can get.

Akuma posted:

That's not the whole point of digital distribution. The point of it is ease of access, so you can buy your music from home in a versatile format, not that you need to.

As Flatscan said, shops don't need to, but it's downright closeminded and self destructive to not attempt it. CD sales are decreasing, digital sales are increasing, but people are still going into towns and shops though.

So what do you do? Turn your stores into digital distribution hubs. That way the millions of people floating about town with their portable music players can go into the shop, see/hear marketing for new albums of whatever and then purchase them right then and there in the format they prefer instead of traipsing back home to remember to buy it from their computer.

On top of that is the lower costs in terms of distribution/stock/store shelf space, etc and if HMV or whatever were to shift to launch individual digital distribution online stores you've got increased competition in the MP3 marketplace (HMV have actually launched an online MP3 service by the way) resulting in greater competitive pricing.

MP3's aren't some kind of magical computer access only item. They're a product and right now places like HMV and whatever other stores aren't stocking them on their shelves despite there being a massive demand for them.

The system for downloading at home would be for if you're in the shop anyway, see somethign you like but don't have your device on you. You can purchase a code (while you're there) and when you get home, punch it into your online HMV DD account and download your purchase.

I think someone in one of the games threads mentioned that China already do something along these lines.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Beeswax posted:

I love Theroux but I might explode with rage if I actually watch this.

He's written an article about it for the BBC news site, so you'll probably be able to gauge your potential rage level before you start watching:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12347050

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

A5H posted:

Oh my god I've just caught the end of this 'do we need the moon' show. What the gently caress is this? The presenting woman talks, in such, a, bizarre, manner?

despite the presenter's awkwardness and the silly title it was an interesting hour of tv (for uneducated plebs like me) and had some really impressive CG scenes aswell

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Inverse square posted:

Cha-ching! Brilliant! Thanks so much... christ, THIS is the reason we have the internet, isn't it? This is the exact reason.

I'm still waiting for someone else who watched The Delta Wave...

(mid-90s, CITV, kids with psi-powers and a scientist woman called Dr Munro)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm still waiting for someone else who watched The Delta Wave...

(mid-90s, CITV, kids with psi-powers and a scientist woman called Dr Munro)

I did, and it was awesome.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Unkempt posted:

A lot of those are where the Ottakar's buyout left two Waterstones in the same street, which obviously doesn't make a lot of sense. Waterstone's shops are pretty variable, too; the local staff have a fair amount of discretion on what to stock, so (for example) student towns tend to have a more interesting selection and fewer Peter Andre biographies.

Bizarrely, though, some of them (maybe all, I don't know) don't have control over their own lighting and heating. I know the Brighton branch has theirs controlled from Manchester, and when they're having after hours events sometimes Manchester forgets and turns off the lights. I have never met anyone who can explain how this could possibly be a good idea.

I once worked for waterstones and we could turn off our own lights, but that was about the limit of our freedom. Everything was decided centrally: what everything cost, the special offers, what the displays looked like, what the staff wore (my shop was previously an independent one with no polyester jumper uniforms) and what every level of employee got paid. We had a little bit of freedom in what we stocked, but that was mostly limited to local interest stuff. We couldn't refuse to have three display stands of celebrity autobiographies if the regional office wanted us to.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Metrication posted:

I thought America's Medicated Kids was a bit weak in terms of not saying much, what did other people think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

I once worked for waterstones and we could turn off our own lights, but that was about the limit of our freedom. Everything was decided centrally: what everything cost, the special offers, what the displays looked like, what the staff wore (my shop was previously an independent one with no polyester jumper uniforms) and what every level of employee got paid. We had a little bit of freedom in what we stocked, but that was mostly limited to local interest stuff. We couldn't refuse to have three display stands of celebrity autobiographies if the regional office wanted us to.

I was always under the impression that every Waterstones had a front of house and a back of house.

The front contained all of the up to date new releases, the charts and all that other stuff you're likely to find in Tesco, but the back contained large categories of all topics (and maybe a costa coffee). What's strange is that when i've gone into the one in Dundee over the last few years it's been a barren wasteland through the back with empty shelves and paltry offerings for some categories.

Are things like Amazon and Tesco really crushing book stores?