Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

They are the only Capellan unit worth a drat. Considering how terrible the rest of their military is, let them have this one boon.

The Warrior Houses, McCarron's Armored Cavalry, the Red Lancers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

They are the only Capellan unit worth a drat.

The Big Mac would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I had a long recruitment post for the death commandos but then i clicked off to verify some of the writing of the CC and lost it all

:eng99:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Tempest_56 posted:

The Big Mac would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

Mercenaries under contract with Liao. Not actual Confederation troops (yet). Totally doesn't count :colbert:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

They are the only Capellan unit worth a drat. Considering how terrible the rest of their military is, let them have this one boon.

Also, if/when the Eridani Light Horse becomes available, I fully expect a unanimous vote for them. I will accept no debate on this matter.

Unless PTN is doing 8 mechs this go, I'm probably going to be coming up on the third mission. Eridani Light Horse vs. The Clans would be the ideal situation, I would punch a baby for that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Mercenaries under contract with Liao. Not actual Confederation troops (yet). Totally doesn't count :colbert:

Okay, then: the Red Lancers, Renshield's Dragoons, House Dai Da Chi, House Ma-tsu Kai?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Defiance Industries posted:

Nope, they get all the elite unit bonuses on the random skill table and poo poo. They're super-elite not just as mech pilots, but as infantry too. And as RPG characters they usually have cyborg implants and poo poo.

The reason they have so many bonuses is because of, and balanced by, how small the unit typically is. It's so incredibly hard to get into the commandos and their death rate so high that they'll never be fielded in large numbers. 17th recon probably outnumbers them by atleast 2:1.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Unless PTN is doing 8 mechs this go, I'm probably going to be coming up on the third mission. Eridani Light Horse vs. The Clans would be the ideal situation, I would punch a baby for that.

As the guy right above you I endorse this. We'll die horribly but it will be awesome. :hfive:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Okay, then: the Red Lancers, Renshield's Dragoons, House Dai Da Chi, House Ma-tsu Kai?

I guess I shouldn't have been quite as specific. Liao does have a few elite units (especially the houses), but most line units are relatively weak in comparison to the other Successor States.

thunderbolt
Jun 13, 2006
3025 and loving it.
Voting D 6th Arkab Legion because I want to see Arab Samurai fight the mongol Horde.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Polaron posted:

Ugh. Why does everyone want to play Death Commandos, they're giant assholes.

Because I find a group of amoral terrorists fulfilling the slightest whims of a raving lunatic more fun to watch than a bunch of Texicans who painted their mechs up like rejects from Grim Fandango.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
C Because of lostech.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I've been completely lurking, but I'm going to have to vote Marauders just to watch the clusterlove, or failing that, the Death Commandos in a revote. My idea of a fun day is getting stomped or playing the Fedaykin on a murderous rampage to expend all the good karma from the last mission.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I have to vote F for the 17th recon dammit! Death Commandos? What is this, Warhammer 40K?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Longinus00 posted:

The reason they have so many bonuses is because of, and balanced by, how small the unit typically is. It's so incredibly hard to get into the commandos and their death rate so high that they'll never be fielded in large numbers. 17th recon probably outnumbers them by atleast 2:1.

3:2, actually. 17th Recon is a regiment, Death Commandos are 2 battalions.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Axe-man posted:

I had a long recruitment post for the death commandos but then i clicked off to verify some of the writing of the CC and lost it all

:eng99:

You could have at least claimed it was censored.

Sheesh, talk about missed opportunity combo.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

3:2, actually. 17th Recon is a regiment, Death Commandos are 2 battalions.

I have no idea what the unit forces are like in poptart's timeline but sarna.net states that the Death Commandos didn't even reach a battalion until 3041 and it took until 3055 to get to two.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

TildeATH posted:

You could have at least claimed it was censored.

Sheesh, talk about missed opportunity combo.

:v: i'm working on it again i've just been distracted

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

God drat it, I went searching through my boxes in the closet and I somehow lost all but about 6 of my BT books - and one of the ones I still have is Far Country. :argh:

Oh well, I can read Wolves on the Border again I guess. :smith:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
You think you got it bad? All I can find is "Grave Covenant." I don't even LIKE Victor. :smith:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Voting F) 17th Recon.

GOTTA KEEP IT A CLOSE RUN GUYS

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I've managed to not lose a single BT novel I own even through putting them in multiple boxes and the attic at least twice :smug:

Then again I don't really have anything pre-Twilight of the Clans save for the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy and Warrior: Riposte :smith:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Agent Interrobang posted:

You think you got it bad? All I can find is "Grave Covenant." I don't even LIKE Victor. :smith:

Swap you Far Country for it! :v:

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I've never been a Liao fan, but I'd love to see that throwdown. Gonna add another vote for F) 17th Recon here.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003
Voting G because I want to see how Poptarts plays the 17th Recon.

Hey Poptarts, what sort of deployment do the Com Guards have in this timeline? I'm assuming it's only a lance or so of 'Mechs per planet (other than Terra). If that is the case, do we know what the Combine got out of allowing them in their territory?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Late to the party, but please add my name to the pilot roster, this is awesome. Also, I'm voting G) Death Commandos because sometimes you just have to straight-up murder dudes.

EDIT: I have PMs.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 2, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Agent Interrobang posted:

Is it bad that I read "Grave Covenant" as "Groove Covenant"? Now I can't get the image of a Dire Wolf moonwalking out of my head.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Do You Think you are Worthy?

Do you feel Doubt?

Do you feel Fear?

If so you will be removed by order of the Chancellor, if not then maybe you can be one given the honor to serve and the great honor to die in the removed by order of the Chancellor.

You have been selected cause you are the best of your House, the best in the Confederation and your loyality to the Chancellor has never waivered, know that upon accepting this you will be able to die so that the Confederation will survive and continue! Prove you have earned your right to being a Citizen! Become the right hand, the most loyal,and have the unwaivering devotion to our Chancellor and state, Become aremoved by order of the Chancellor.

If you accept you must go now and report to removed by order of the Chancellor

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Longinus00 posted:

I have no idea what the unit forces are like in poptart's timeline but sarna.net states that the Death Commandos didn't even reach a battalion until 3041 and it took until 3055 to get to two.

In 3028, in the last major battle of the 4th Succession War, the unit was almost completely wiped out on Kathil by Morgan Hasek-Davion and the Davion Light Guard. That battle, and the entire war, never happened.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
drat you for putting up Miller's Marauders as an option. I'm still staying with my vote for the Caballeros. :ese:

WarLocke posted:

I like Marauders too, but having your entire unit consisting of 4/6/0 (or slower - do Marauder IIs exist yet?) mechs with no jumping capability is rather... not a good composition against the Clans.

The Marauder II is a Blackwell design made specifically by and for Wolf's Dragoons. It's rather unlikely that there will ever be a Marauder II in this TL.

@Longinus: The OTL Death Commmandos got utterly trashed in the 4th Succession War. They IIRC did start it as two battalions. Then came Kathil and Morgan Hasek-Davion defeating a raid by them by turning the microwave stations powering the Kathil shipyards up to the FRY DROPSHIPS level. What few Death Commandos reached the ground after that found themselves at the receiving end of rather unfavourable odds and got ground into paste by simple numerical superiority.

According to PTNs last post, they're sending one battalion at the 17th Recon, which means 3:1 odds for the Caballeros.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 2, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When you put it that way, I really have a hard time understanding why the Davions were the heroes of that story.

"Biggest guy beats the poo poo out of smallest guy and every tricky maneuver they attempt fails horribly" is not a good story.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Axe-man posted:

Do You Think you are Worthy?

Do you feel Doubt?

Do you feel Fear?

If so you will be removed by order of the Chancellor, if not then maybe you can be one given the honor to serve and the great honor to die in the removed by order of the Chancellor.

You have been selected cause you are the best of your House, the best in the Confederation and your loyality to the Chancellor has never waivered, know that upon accepting this you will be able to die so that the Confederation will survive and continue! Prove you have earned your right to being a Citizen! Become the right hand, the most loyal,and have the unwaivering devotion to our Chancellor and state, Become aremoved by order of the Chancellor.

If you accept you must go now and report to removed by order of the Chancellor

Hell yes. Voting Death Commandos.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

A vote for F is a vote for shooting poo poo up. What's not to like?

I vote for F: The 17th recon!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

In 3028, in the last major battle of the 4th Succession War, the unit was almost completely wiped out on Kathil by Morgan Hasek-Davion and the Davion Light Guard. That battle, and the entire war, never happened.

Wait, if the 4th war didn't happen why do the Fed Suns have half of the confederation?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

When you put it that way, I really have a hard time understanding why the Davions were the heroes of that story.

"Biggest guy beats the poo poo out of smallest guy and every tricky maneuver they attempt fails horribly" is not a good story.

Eh, Battletech has always been shades of gray. And when it comes down to it, Max Liao did give Hanse more than enough reasons to go to town on the Confederation. Hanse Davion is a de facto dictator, but he's a pretty darn benevolent one. Max Liao and Takashi Kurita rate a whole lot worse than that.

@Longinus: They don't. The map PTN posted in the OP is pre-4th SW.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Voting for F: y Caballeros de Coronel Carlos Camacho, aka the 17th Recon.

Because a vote for :ese: is a vote for mariachi desperados punching tight-assed immature black-ops Splinter-Cell wannabe murderers in the balls, stealing their gold and women and riding off into the sunset smoking a stogie and strumming a viheula.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Voting for F: y Caballeros de Coronel Carlos Camacho, aka the 17th Recon.

Because a vote for :ese: is a vote for mariachi desperados dieing horribly to black ops commandos who do incredibly cool things.

fixed that for you.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Axe-man posted:

fixed that for you.

No YOU SHUT UP![/Free Worlds League]

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Hey, vato. You know what's awesome? Being a member of hardest-fighting, hardest-partying Merc unit in the whole Inner Sphere.

:ese: :ese: :ese:

You want action? We got action! We got so much action Successor States are fighting wars over who gets to employ us to fight their wars!

You want guns? We got guns! You might even say we have a PLETHORA of particle projector cannons, though you are not required to know what 'plethora' means to operate them.

You want Mechs? WELL LOOKIT THIS loving THING, PENDEJO!

So sign up for Camacho's Caballeros now, amigo! See what it's like to ride with the the 17th Recon Regiment, and see what you've been missing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Magni posted:

Eh, Battletech has always been shades of gray. And when it comes down to it, Max Liao did give Hanse more than enough reasons to go to town on the Confederation. Hanse Davion is a de facto dictator, but he's a pretty darn benevolent one. Max Liao and Takashi Kurita rate a whole lot worse than that.

@Longinus: They don't. The map PTN posted in the OP is pre-4th SW.

You're right on the map thing, I got mixed up on the borders.

It was discussed earlier in this thread but house Davion is pretty much the protagonist faction so it's not surprising they're typically in the "right" so far as the story goes.

• Locked thread