Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Magni posted:

Eh, Battletech has always been shades of gray.

Oh boy, not in Stackpole novels it's not. You have people like Melissa Steiner actively bagging on wherever they're from to praise House Davion and its glories while completely ignoring any flaws they might have.

e: New page. here is a picture. It is called a "ProtoMech" and not only do they all look dumb, but they're also lovely. I picked one that, like the Banshee, has a nipple gun.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Why is this even a question? Voting F! ARRIBA!

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 2, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voting for the Death Commandos.

Though I doubt it's going to win out against Space Mexicans and their dropships shaped like a 1976 Ford Econoline van.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Redeye Flight posted:

Why is this even a question? Voting F, for the Commandos! ARRIBA!

The ponys disagree :aaa: could this be a rift in the my little pony voting block? :aaaaa:

edit: oh i see what you did there :P

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 2, 2011

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Axe-man posted:

The ponys disagree :aaa: could this be a rift in the my little pony voting block? :aaaaa:

Even my brain damage can't keep me from supporting kick-rear end Mexican acrobatic gunfighting WITH MECHS. Caballeros, not Commandos! Work, brain!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Defiance Industries posted:

e: New page. here is a picture. It is called a redacted and not only do they all look dumb, but they're also lovely. I picked one that, like the Banshee, has a nipple gun.

I really hope PTN erases those things from existence. What a dumb loving idea.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

even the fluff calls them stupid, seriously even the poeple who made them thought they were horrible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

Good news! They don't even exist in this timeline.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh boy, not in Stackpole novels it's not. You have people like Melissa Steiner actively bagging on wherever they're from to praise House Davion and its glories while completely ignoring any flaws they might have.

I mentioned earlier I've been reading the first Stackpole Dark Ages novel "Ghost War", and he seems to have switched his love to the Republic, at least for that book. He still has plenty of time to hate on environmentalists and women and intellectuals (no one in particular, the main character has a digression about the intellectual dishonesty of... well, "intellectuals"). Started on the second Dark Ages book called "A Call to Arms" by Loren Coleman and so far it's been much better, but I can't tell how much of that is just whiplash.

*edit* I suppose as a comfort to whomever's side loses the vote, that faction will still feature as the opposing force, and there's no guarantee that the side the goons pick will win. If anything, if PTN's shown himself to be a good player so far he might have the edge over whomever ends up piloting the winning side.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 2, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
As someone who has read Stackpole's books in OTHER settings, he has a tendency towards hateable Mary Sues in general. Corran "Space Detective Jedi Fighter Pilot Messiah" Horn, anyone? :sigh:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I... I liked protomechs, as a concept, but high holy hell were they ugly.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Agent Interrobang posted:

As someone who has read Stackpole's books in OTHER settings, he has a tendency towards hateable Mary Sues in general. Corran "Space Detective Jedi Fighter Pilot Messiah" Horn, anyone? :sigh:

Let's be fair to Stackpole, Jedi are all Canon Sues. That's kind of their schtick and I <3 them for it.

But seriously, when he start channeling Rush Limbaugh?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Dolash posted:

I mentioned earlier I've been reading the first Stackpole Dark Ages novel "Ghost War", and he seems to have switched his love to the Republic, at least for that book. He still has plenty of time to hate on environmentalists and women and intellectuals (no one in particular, the main character has a digression about the intellectual dishonesty of... well, "intellectuals"). Started on the second Dark Ages book called "A Call to Arms" by Loren Coleman and so far it's been much better, but I can't tell how much of that is just whiplash.

*edit* I suppose as a comfort to whomever's side loses the vote, that faction will still feature as the opposing force, and there's no guarantee that the side the goons pick will win. If anything, if PTN's shown himself to be a good player so far he might have the edge over whomever ends up piloting the winning side.

I think the republic is the de facto protagonist faction in the dark ages setting in the same fashion as the star league used to be.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Don't forget he had the SPECIAL family ability to absorb blaster bolts and turn off lightsabers... :supaburn:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

So sign up for Camacho's Caballeros now, amigo! See what it's like to ride with the the 17th Recon Regiment, and see what you've been missing!

Your sales pitch intrigues me, and I wish to subscribe to your newletter.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hey, vato. You know what's awesome? Being a member of hardest-fighting, hardest-partying Merc unit in the whole Inner Sphere.

:ese: :ese: :ese:

You want action? We got action! We got so much action Successor States are fighting wars over who gets to employ us to fight their wars!

You want guns? We got guns! You might even say we have a PLETHORA of particle projector cannons, though you are not required to know what 'plethora' means to operate them.

You want Mechs? WELL LOOKIT THIS loving THING, PENDEJO!

So sign up for Camacho's Caballeros now, amigo! See what it's like to ride with the the 17th Recon Regiment, and see what you've been missing!

To anyone on the fence, imagine this voiced by Danny Trejo, whose face incidentally matches this Atlas's.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: I'm... a little excited now :gay:

W.T. Fits posted:

Your sales pitch intrigues me, and I wish to subscribe to your newletter.

I think it's hilarious that they're an entire regiment and labeled as 'recon' myself. :derp:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
all the ponys in this thread after a visit from Agent Interrobang:

exactly like the Death Commandos! :v:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 2, 2011

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Ghost War" was almost redeemed simply for the bit where the lumberjack runs away from a Centurion (in a city, mind) in a Mardi Gras-decorated IndustrialMech while wearing a clown suit over his cooling apparatii.

Really the whole book is a comedy of horrors if you take it seriously.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Camacho's Caballeros, because I know what a plethora means, and it means good things.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Looks like the Camacho's Caballeros has this won. Currently stands at 24-15 by my count.

24 traitors who will suffer the worst atrocities possible at the hands of the Commandos :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Volmarias posted:

To anyone on the fence, imagine this voiced by Danny Trejo, whose face incidentally matches this Atlas's.

Too bad Danny Trejo wouldn't be riding along with you to give you his plot armor and heavy fire support. You're just going to be the Latin Kings in Space.

Go shank some gringos, you're totally noble and awesome. :thumbsup:

Why settle for cheap Mexican knockoffs when you can get authentic Chinese merchandise for a fraction of the price? Vote Death Commandos! Who better for killing people with lead than the Chinese?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I've gotta go with F: Camacho's Caballeros, because Death Commandos just sounds so much like what I'd have fielded in the 80's as a snot-nosed kid playing Btech for the first time, because clearly the point was to win.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Esteemed goon hivemind, there is one fundamental that we're missing here: the Caballeros are appalling shots. Do you really want to miss with everything, or do you want to see what your weapons actually do to the opposition? Mechwarrior should be a game of huge guns blowing gigantic holes in enemy giant robots, not huge guns blowing up random trees or patches of particularly unlucky sky, whilst the opposition, who actually can shoot, have all the fun.

Let's be the ones who have all the fun.

Death Commandos.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It is called a "ProtoMech" and not only do they all look dumb, but they're also lovely. I picked one that, like the Banshee, has a nipple gun.

... It looks like something out of Rifts. :psyduck:

And as a fan of Rifts, I don't mean that in a good way.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

AJ_Impy posted:

Esteemed goon hivemind, there is one fundamental that we're missing here: the Caballeros are appalling shots. Do you really want to miss with everything, or do you want to see what your weapons actually do to the opposition? Mechwarrior should be a game of huge guns blowing gigantic holes in enemy giant robots, not huge guns blowing up random trees or patches of particularly unlucky sky, whilst the opposition, who actually can shoot, have all the fun.

Death Commandos.

But we're fantastic pilots. You know what that means.

Punches straight to the enemy cockpits, all day every day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AJ_Impy posted:

Death Commandos.

Pish tosh. The Caballeros are ENTHUSIASTIC mechwarriors, whose fire control matches their worldly cares!

Honestly, the Caballeros are by far the most fun and entertaining option here. Go vote for Death Commandos if you want to be all grim and dark; I'll be over here, drinking a Corona with a lime in it!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Polaron posted:

But we're fantastic pilots. You know what that means.

Punches straight to the enemy cockpits, all day every day.

Didn't someone earlier in the thread say MegaMek uses Gunnery for melee not Piloting? That would reduce your "advantage" even more.

Might want to stock up on tequila, amigos. It's going to be a long fight.

[EDIT]

Volmarias posted:

Go vote for Death Commandos if you want to be all grim and dark professional and skilled; I'll be over here, drinking a Corona dilluted mule piss with a lime in it!

Fixed that for you. Besides, you guys are going to be pissed off when your sombreromechs take a siesta on you mid-fight and you get shot in the face. :colbert:

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 3, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't really get the hate for Ghost War. Ok yeah so our protagonist punches out an environmentalist, but to be perfectly honest if future PETA was getting on my case I'd be inclined to slug them too, especially if one of them took a swing at me first.Let's also not forget the environmentalists were trying to agitate a group of lumberjacks in a bar. That doesn't exactly sound like a smart move. Lastly given what we learn later in the book it seems a lot more like he's doing all this as his cover moreso than actually being a complete jerk

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
honestly, for me it isn't about being grim and dark it is about the cool blackops stuff we could do. The mexican recon regiment is all fun and stuff, but the Death commandos give us the Chance to

a.) play the "bad guy"

b.) Do the more devious poo poo that every major power in the IS did, no matter how Mary Sue its leaders appeared to be.

c.) see some combined arms in the house

Thats why i changed from the 17th to the Death Commandos variety

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Axe-man posted:

all the ponys in this thread after a visit from Agent Interrobang:

exactly like the Death Commandos! :v:

Man, seriously. Are the ponies just FOLLOWING ME HERE from the FIM thread? Because if I'm a pony-magnet, best forum superpower ever.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I decided either of the two main contenders would be pretty dang fun! I will keep my vote for Los Caballeros but I will not be broken up if they come in second. :shobon:

Here, have some more Caballeros art:

A vote for the Death Commandos is a vote against Donald Duck. :(

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

KnoxZone posted:

Also, if/when the Eridani Light Horse becomes available, I fully expect a unanimous vote for them. I will accept no debate on this matter.
This is correct. The ELH are the coolest, baddest-rear end motherfuckers in known space.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Man, seriously. Are the ponies just FOLLOWING ME HERE from the FIM thread?

Of course not... I've been here since the STO thread.

Someone linked to the first pony thread from that one or this one (I forget which). :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

I decided either of the two main contenders would be pretty dang fun! I will keep my vote for Los Caballeros but I will not be broken up if they come in second. :shobon:

Here, have some more Caballeros art:

A vote for the Death Commandos is a vote against Donald Duck. :(

Picture taken at crime scene!

Marik fools! Your Donald duck is a Confederation Spy MWAHAHAHAH!

Join the Commandos and Help Donald Duck!

W.T. Fits posted:

Someone linked to the first pony thread from that one or this one (I forget which). :v:

it was agent interrobang

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Works for me. I'll miss the mechanical spectacle of Teta's death, but more Twilight is always goodtimes.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Xmas Future posted:

This is correct. The ELH are the coolest, baddest-rear end motherfuckers in known space.

And yet another awesome thing the Word of Blake books annihilated like they didn't even matter. Because RARGH WE ARE SO BADASSED IGNORE ALL OTHER ENEMIES WE ARE THE COOLEST *nukes every unit fans might ever have loved to prove they are the coolest*

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Guys, think about it. If we go with Camacho's Caballeros, we get to be Antonio Banderas the Mech Pilot!

Nothing that the 'Myst Fang Moonsong Shadow Death Commando' squad has can compare to that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

A vote for the Death Commandos is a vote against Donald Duck.

You heard it folks! Vote Death Commandos cuz gently caress that duck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

And yet another awesome thing the Word of Blake books annihilated like they didn't even matter. Because RARGH WE ARE SO BADASSED IGNORE ALL OTHER ENEMIES WE ARE THE COOLEST *nukes every unit fans might ever have loved to prove they are the coolest*

The wobblies really are like that one time you let one of your players bring their little cousin to the game because they were stuck with them for the night, and you tried to fit them in so they wouldn't run around loving up your dollaction figure displays, and they're all "I WANNA BE A ROBOT NINJA WITH A LASER SWORD AND A GUN THAT SHOOTS BEARS OUT THE END" :negative:

• Locked thread