Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Barometer posted:

I just did this very thing yesterday, on Amazon. A gift card that's an email. The only problem I could see would be if the recipient didn't know it was coming and it went into the junk mail.

Somehow I knew it'd have to be Amazon. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Binowru posted:

Do most goons not use Waffle Images anymore? If not, why not?

Because it's down all the time.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

marshmallard posted:

Do Americans use 'mad' to mean 'crazy' as well as 'angry'? In the UK, 'mad' mostly means crazy/insane, although obviously we understand the 'angry' meaning as well. If I said 'are you mad?' in America, would it only mean 'Are you angry?' or could it mean 'Are you nuts?' too?

Actually since you brought this up, it's worth mentioning that a word that has no shared meaning: pissed. (and also piss)

Which apparently only means drunk in England (maybe the whole UK?), but only means angry in the US. And there is no crossover in the US.*

I was pissed means unequivocally 'angry', and nothing else, in the US. In England apparently it is unequivocally 'drunk'.

*take a/the piss is another one. taking the(?) piss means teasing in the UK; taking a piss means urinating in the US.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

marshmallard posted:

Do Americans use 'mad' to mean 'crazy' as well as 'angry'? In the UK, 'mad' mostly means crazy/insane, although obviously we understand the 'angry' meaning as well. If I said 'are you mad?' in America, would it only mean 'Are you angry?' or could it mean 'Are you nuts?' too?

To complicate things even more, in Australia "mad" is slang for awesome/cool/etc. The term "mad oval office" is a compliment of the highest order, except you probably wouldn't say it in front of your nan unless she said it first.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

I got a little vaccine scar on my arm, a little circle. Anyone know what the vaccine is? I'm from Brazil and I don't usually see it on Americans, except maybe on older ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rekkit posted:

I got a little vaccine scar on my arm, a little circle. Anyone know what the vaccine is? I'm from Brazil and I don't usually see it on Americans, except maybe on older ones.

How old are you? It could be a polio or smallpox vaccine scar.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Coupon Wizard posted:

To complicate things even more, in Australia "mad" is slang for awesome/cool/etc. The term "mad oval office" is a compliment of the highest order, except you probably wouldn't say it in front of your nan unless she said it first.

Which is funny because in America if you were to ever say anything like that you'd instantly have everyone within earshot breathing down your neck.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Which is funny because in America if you were to ever say anything like that you'd instantly have everyone within earshot breathing down your neck.

To be fair, the opposite of "mad oval office" is "sick oval office" and that's fairly offensive so I certainly understand where you're coming from.

Edit: Actually "dog oval office" would probably be the worst insult that you hear regularly.

Edit 2: or "dumb oval office". I think the main reason Americans hate using the word is because over there it refers to women, while here in Rand McNally it means "guy" and is only used when speaking about men.

Excavation fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 2, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

kapalama posted:

I know TV is TV, but I am wondering about some of the apparent iPhone apps(or Android or whatever). How do law enforcement specific Apps get onto iPhones?

https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

With an Enterprise iOS developer account, you can compile an app into an executable, which your employees can load onto their devices using iTunes or XCode. Apple doesn't care about approving your app, and isn't involved in distributing it. In the simplest form, after the app is good and ready, you'll send out the enterpries_app.ipa file via email, and your employees can double-click it to install the app via iTunes.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

Actually since you brought this up, it's worth mentioning that a word that has no shared meaning: pissed. (and also piss)

Which apparently only means drunk in England (maybe the whole UK?), but only means angry in the US. And there is no crossover in the US.*

I was pissed means unequivocally 'angry', and nothing else, in the US. In England apparently it is unequivocally 'drunk'.

*take a/the piss is another one. taking the(?) piss means teasing in the UK; taking a piss means urinating in the US.

It's a bit more complex than that, actually. We understand 'I'm really pissed' as 'I'm really angry' when Americans say it, but we'd say 'I'm pissed OFF' to mean that. Pissed off is angry, pissed is drunk in England.

You're right about 'taking the piss', that means teasing. But 'taking A piss' means having a wee, the same as it does in America.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Does anyone know of any good free (or cheap) task management software? I've been using ToDoList which has been working okay but it's pretty wonky and has a bunch of bugs.

I'm not particularly picky, my biggest stipulation is that if it's an online deal, it needs to have a windows client, and if it's a windows application it needs to be portable (so I can run it out of DropBox and not have to worry about backing it up or whatever). Big bonuses too for being able to nest tasks and being able to set priorities (though that should be pretty standard).

I've been searching on Google and found some things I might try out so don't go looking or whatever, just recommend one if you know of a good one that fits my needs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Does anyone know of any good free (or cheap) task management software? I've been using ToDoList which has been working okay but it's pretty wonky and has a bunch of bugs.

I'm not particularly picky, my biggest stipulation is that if it's an online deal, it needs to have a windows client, and if it's a windows application it needs to be portable (so I can run it out of DropBox and not have to worry about backing it up or whatever). Big bonuses too for being able to nest tasks and being able to set priorities (though that should be pretty standard).

I've been searching on Google and found some things I might try out so don't go looking or whatever, just recommend one if you know of a good one that fits my needs.

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=144246
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-access-your-google-tasks/

That good enough for you?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Oh Christ it runs on Air. And it's pretty basic, but it'll work in a pinch if nothing else pops up, so thanks. I'll look into it in a few here.

I'm actually really surprised at how devoid the internet seems to be of these, it seems like it's something that would be really easy to make.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I'm actually really surprised at how devoid the internet seems to be of these, it seems like it's something that would be really easy to make.

Yeah the thing is it's so simple that pretty much every CS undergrad will give it a go before realizing its way too much work to use, let alone program. As a matter of practicality, the features offered just never really stuck out all that much over pen and paper or using notepad, so the commercial incentive is basically absent, and the functionality basically got rolled into every e-calendar ever.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Lifehacker has pretty much always been the go-to spot for all things productivity. For to-do lists specifically, here's a whole bunch of posts on that matter.

Much of the staff seems to be pushing for Plain Text lists; easy to deal with, great on Windows, syncs on Dropbox, etc.

It all really does boil down to what works for you, and what you're comfortable using. But -- hopefully this'll give some ideas.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

This snippage business is good enough for me, and I was wanting such a thing, though I didn't ask. Very cool, thanks!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rekkit posted:

Definitely from a smallpox vaccination. Vaccination in the US largely stopped in 1972, though it continued for a while after that in the military. I'm not sure at what age you were vaccinated though, because my wife was born prior to '72 and she doesn't have the scar.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rekkit posted:

I don't know about Brazil, but basically the whole population of the UK has a little circular scar on their upper arm from the BCG vaccine against tuberculosis. My brothers poked mine so much while it was healing that the scar is really bad :(

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is this stupid forums cancer poo poo a new way to be a passive aggressive twat or is there some new hilarious and zany way to get it? I'd ask in the questions forum but the hilarity and zaniness includes not being able to read or posts threads there.

(no I don't post in the RFA forums)

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Is this stupid forums cancer poo poo a new way to be a passive aggressive twat or is there some new hilarious and zany way to get it? I'd ask in the questions forum but the hilarity and zaniness includes not being able to read or posts threads there.

(no I don't post in the RFA forums)

According to some posts on SAclopedia, you can get it because a mod doesn't like you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2308

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ahh thanks. Somehow I didn't see the last entry before.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

kapalama posted:

I occasionally hear "piss drunk" in America though.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask rules questions but it seems to be the most appropriate so I'll go ahead and ask.

In PYF (rules thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238814) there is a rule against posting image macros, my question is if wallpapers with text count as image macros (ie. a wallpaper with a quote or somesuch stuck on there) ? I'm not sure because some wall papers are nothing but a quote or whatever presented stylistically and without the text they wouldn't make any sense - but I also don't want to break the rules, hence asking for clarification.

If this isn't the place for this type of question please tell me where would be more appropriate.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask rules questions but it seems to be the most appropriate so I'll go ahead and ask.

In PYF (rules thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238814) there is a rule against posting image macros, my question is if wallpapers with text count as image macros (ie. a wallpaper with a quote or somesuch stuck on there) ? I'm not sure because some wall papers are nothing but a quote or whatever presented stylistically and without the text they wouldn't make any sense - but I also don't want to break the rules, hence asking for clarification.

If this isn't the place for this type of question please tell me where would be more appropriate.

So this is the thread you are looking for: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472443

But I can't imagine you would ever get a probation for posting a wallpaper with text on it, the reasoning behind that rule is to prevent the typical imageboard bullshit where people don't actually say anything and just post the same retarded picture over and over.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

TheBoogeyMan posted:

So this is the thread you are looking for: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472443

But I can't imagine you would ever get a probation for posting a wallpaper with text on it, the reasoning behind that rule is to prevent the typical imageboard bullshit where people don't actually say anything and just post the same retarded picture over and over.
Oh wow I feel so stupid. I knew I had seen that thread before but I thought it was in QCS and when I gave up over there I guess I just stopped looking after I saw the first "Question Thread" sticky in A/T :(

edit: anyway thanks for the link I'll ask over there

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Travakian posted:

Lifehacker has pretty much always been the go-to spot for all things productivity. For to-do lists specifically, here's a whole bunch of posts on that matter.

Much of the staff seems to be pushing for Plain Text lists; easy to deal with, great on Windows, syncs on Dropbox, etc.

It all really does boil down to what works for you, and what you're comfortable using. But -- hopefully this'll give some ideas.

Cool, I'll look into them too, thanks.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bug lamps - you know, those yellow incandescent lamps people stick in their outside fixtures because bugs supposedly can't see them - did they exist/were they commonly used in the 1930s?

I don't want to introduce an anachronism into my latest show just because I couldn't be arsed to dig through patent applications.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

thelightguy posted:

Bug lamps - you know, those yellow incandescent lamps people stick in their outside fixtures because bugs supposedly can't see them - did they exist/were they commonly used in the 1930s?

I don't want to introduce an anachronism into my latest show just because I couldn't be arsed to dig through patent applications.

From http://entweb.clemson.edu/pesticid/history.htm:

quote:

* First recommendations made concerning yellow electric light bulbs as non-attractive to many insect

It takes a while for new recommendations to become popular, so that implies a few years' delay before they became widespread. Additionally, this seems to imply that it was just becoming common that new homes were built with electric lighting, but that would mean any older homes still used gas.

So I doubt they were commonly used - they may have been found in the most urban, newest construction, but if your setting is rural/older, probably not.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
To anyone living in California:

Are there really legal places to buy 'medical' marijuana at a store now? (Wikipedia's article is far from helpful.)

Do you just take a prescription in? Do regular doctors write such prescriptions?

(Don't smoke, just seeing it on TV lately.)

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

kapalama posted:

Are there really legal places to buy 'medical' marijuana at a store now? (Wikipedia's article is far from helpful.)

Do you just take a prescription in? Do regular doctors write such prescriptions?

Yep. There's one right down the street from my work - I practically get a contact high from walking by it. You can also get a license to grow limited quantities at home if you have a prescription. More info, if you want.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Does ADSL use all the wires in a phone line, or only some of them?
I have ADSL working fine but my phone doesn't - is it possible this is due to a damaged line on my property, or can I assume that since the internet works all my wires are in adequate condition?

e: I ask because I've been on hold for half an hour with the phone company on my mobile, so don't suggest I just call them.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 3, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dead Alice posted:

Does ADSL use all the wires in a phone line, or only some of them?
I have ADSL working fine but my phone doesn't - is it possible this is due to a damaged line on my property, or can I assume that since the internet works all my wires are in adequate condition?

From what I understand it uses part of the phone line that the telephone doesn't.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Mak0rz posted:

From what I understand it uses part of the phone line that the telephone doesn't.

I thought it uses different frequencies though, not seperate wires. Since it's connected into the same socket with a microfilter I'd have thought they would be using the same actual wires within the greater cable.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
What movie is this brass motive from? For some reason it just popped into my head so I tried to figure out the notes on Ableton and used some brass samples to make it sound somewhat realistic. It may not be exact but if hear it you'll probably know exactly what I'm talking about.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
Couldn't find a fitting place for this in PYF, and making a thread for it seems a bit too much. So:

Anyone know how/where I can get an invite to ffffound? Begging on the Facebook page doesn't look too promising.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dead Alice posted:

I thought it uses different frequencies though, not seperate wires. Since it's connected into the same socket with a microfilter I'd have thought they would be using the same actual wires within the greater cable.

This is correct. It uses the same "tip and ring" pinouts (pins 3 and 4 on an rj11) that a phone uses and just uses a "broadband" of frequencies above the ones used for voice.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

kapalama posted:

I don't know about California, but in Colorado, you visit a doctor who can issue a "recommendation", which you then take to a dispensary or licensed caretaker, who then supplies you with marijuana. You or your caretaker can possess up to a certain number of plants or certain amount of usable marijuana.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

DELETED posted:

I don't know about California, but in Colorado, you visit a doctor who can issue a "recommendation", which you then take to a dispensary or licensed caretaker, who then supplies you with marijuana. You or your caretaker can possess up to a certain number of plants or certain amount of usable marijuana.

It's the same in California and in Arizona now too. Basically, if it's a prescription they can't tax it, so they make it a "certification" sort of situation.

My question: When a dude goes to the strip club with his buddies or whoever, is it inappropriate or expected to get a visible boner?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
At some point in the recent past, Google Docs switched from a continuous sheet, no page size document model to a model that's pretty much a copy of Word's.

I like to save web pages using Google Docs. The old model is much better for this, and very faithfully reproduces the page layout. The new model is junk, since it faithfully reproduces pasting a web page into Word.

The only workaround I've found is to make a copy of a doc I've made during the old model, and then to edit that as a new document.

Anyone know how to keep creating new docs using the old model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I have a question that may or may not be answered here.

There is or was a defunct band called Ned that primarily released [very experimental] electronica mixes. During their short existence, they released one album, "Coloring Book", that I and my sister and have found is quite rare both to buy and to... acquire.

Track #13 on the album, "Smalltown, USA", consists of a jazzy background mix overlayed with what sounds like a 50s or 60s advertisement for a Smalltown ideal. The exact words included are as follows:

Ned - Smalltown, USA posted:

Smalltown, USA.
Average people, ordinary people.
The folks next door.
Walk down any street, knock on any door and who will you meet?
Your neighbors. That's what it's all about.
Smalltown, USA.
Smalltown, USA.

Repetition is probably a result of mixing.

What I want to know is what the source of the aforementioned jazz melody might be, but learning the source of the advertisement would also help to assuage me. What makes this difficult is that most of you won't be able to find this track anywhere and I can't share it with anybody here because of rules against :filez:. I've been wondering about this for months; can anybody help me?