Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fid posted:

That's what I had heard (never saw the original Clone Wars miniseries) but he's been coughing in the current series, unless I'm imagining it

You're not. It's a weird thing that I THINK Lucas is to blame for (He worked on the project initially and then got bored and wandered off). He didn't cough in the original clone wars series, he was force crushed at the very end and only started coughing in Episode 3. So George decided he always coughed so he has to in this new series.

So to sum it up: We don't know why he coughs in this new continuity.

Edit:

hemp posted:

He's Darth Maul, rebuilt as a cyborg and put to service doing... whatever it is Grevious does.. as payment for his failure to defeat the jedi from the first film.

He's not Darth Maul. You don't even have to make this poo poo up it's retarded enough on its own dude:

http://starwars.wikia.com/index.php?title=Darth_Maul&image=Visionaries_Darth_Maul-jpg

(Yes I know it's non-canon but its hysterical)

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is anybody else super excited about Star Wars: The Old Republic or is just me? BioWare + Star Wars + MMO seems like a pretty freakin' sweet combination to me. Anybody on here get picked for beta testing?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think the number of beta testers currently numbers in the hundreds so unlikely. I do want in on it though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're not. It's a weird thing that I THINK Lucas is to blame for (He worked on the project initially and then got bored and wandered off). He didn't cough in the original clone wars series, he was force crushed at the very end and only started coughing in Episode 3. So George decided he always coughed so he has to in this new series.

So to sum it up: We don't know why he coughs in this new continuity.

He's coughing because RotS picks up where the last Tartakovsky miniseries left off with Palpatine being held hostage. It was really stupid and nobody really seemed to pick it up.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

No no, he's talking about the new Clone Wars cartoon, the CGI one. He coughs in that one. But it takes place in (essentially overwrites) the same time frame as the Tartakovsky series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Poopelyse posted:

Is anybody else super excited about Star Wars: The Old Republic or is just me? BioWare + Star Wars + MMO seems like a pretty freakin' sweet combination to me. Anybody on here get picked for beta testing?

Sorry buddy, I threw my hat in months ago and not a peep :(.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

He's coughing because RotS picks up where the last Tartakovsky miniseries left off with Palpatine being held hostage. It was really stupid and nobody really seemed to pick it up.

It's the other way around, actually. Grievous gets crushed in the series since Lucas got a cold and decided to give his cough to Grievous in the film. I've misplaced the link to the Tartakovsky interview, but it was earlier in this thread. According to him the entire Windu/Grievous scene had to be reanimated the day before airing* to explain why he's suddenly asthmatic in episode III.

*my memory might be exaggerating the time, but it was extremely short notice

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 3, 2011

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

Torael_7 posted:

pretty much every 4th generation iPod Touch currently in existence in the US has a serial number starting with C3 and ending with DCPx, where x is either 7 or 9.

Oh God, why do you know this off the top of your head?

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Astribulus posted:

It's the other way around, actually. Grievous gets crushed in the series since Lucas got a cold and decided to give his cough to Grievous in the film. I've misplaced the link to the Tartakovsky interview, but it was earlier in this thread. According to him the entire Windu/Grievous scene had to be reanimated the day before airing to explain why he's suddenly asthmatic in episode III.

Seriously? loving seriously? HE GOT A COLD AND CHANGED THE STORY BECAUSE OF IT? gently caress you George, gently caress you forever. I'd say that has to be Tartakovsky trolling, but going by George's track record, gently caress, I'll believe it.

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

Astribulus posted:

Grievous gets crushed in the series since Lucas got a cold and decided to give his cough to Grievous in the film.

Is Lucas a loving 12 year old who puts himself in all his movies?

Oh wait, his protagonist is LUKE. So, yes.

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

Poopelyse posted:

I loathe MMOs, but I'll probably play it like a KOTOR 3 since I absolutely adore KOTOR maybe even more than the original trilogy

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We're lucky Lucas didn't get any stomach issues with the catering food if that is true then, Grevious could have been doing something much worse than couging :gonk:.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Fid posted:

Oh God, why do you know this off the top of your head?

Because I've been doing iOS tech support for the past six months, because the alternative was deferring my student loans.

:negative:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Markoff Chaney posted:

Seriously? loving seriously? HE GOT A COLD AND CHANGED THE STORY BECAUSE OF IT? gently caress you George, gently caress you forever. I'd say that has to be Tartakovsky trolling, but going by George's track record, gently caress, I'll believe it.

It's just a movie dude.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's just a movie dude.

You are in the wrong thread.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Now that I think about it, those stormtroopers are pretty retarded. If they'd have just behaved like regular cops instead of scorched earth death commandos then the Empire would still be around. They go ask the Jawas whats up, go to the farm and wait for Luke to come back, confiscate the droids. Done.
How else would we know the Empire is evil?

I refuse to believe any explanation except Troopers or Robot Chicken's

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Astribulus posted:

It's the other way around, actually. Grievous gets crushed in the series since Lucas got a cold and decided to give his cough to Grievous in the film. I've misplaced the link to the Tartakovsky interview, but it was earlier in this thread. According to him the entire Windu/Grievous scene had to be reanimated the day before airing* to explain why he's suddenly asthmatic in episode III.

*my memory might be exaggerating the time, but it was extremely short notice

Along the same line, the whole reason Shaak Ti plays such a big role in the last season of the Tarkovsky Clone Wars cartoon is because originally at the start of Episode 3, Obi-Wan and Anakin were going to run into her on Grievous' ship, and Grievous was going to kill her in front of them. The cut scene is on the ROTS DVD. And so Tarkovsky was told to show how Shaak Ti got taken along with Palpatine by Grievous in his cartoon. And then Lucas decided to cut the scene from the movie so Tarkovsky had to quickly do the scene at the end of the cartoon where Shaak Ti basically just gets tied up and left behind instead.

I was actually glad when I read that because when I first saw the Tarkovsky cartoon, I thought that was a really stupid part - Grievous capturing her after a pretty cool fight scene, gloating over how he has something special planned for her...And then that 'special' plan basically just being that he's going to leave her behind and forget about her.

Other interesting thing about Shaak Ti's alternate death: originally after Shaak Ti would be killed at the start of ROTS, Lucas was going to have her replacement on the Jedi Council be one of the characters from the Republic comics. I forget which one though, but I remember it wasn't Quinlan Vos or Tholme or the tree lady (Quinlan was originally going to appear in the Order 66 montage, though).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chairman Capone posted:

Along the same line, the whole reason Shaak Ti plays such a big role in the last season of the Tarkovsky Clone Wars cartoon is because originally at the start of Episode 3, Obi-Wan and Anakin were going to run into her on Grievous' ship, and Grievous was going to kill her in front of them. The cut scene is on the ROTS DVD. And so Tarkovsky was told to show how Shaak Ti got taken along with Palpatine by Grievous in his cartoon. And then Lucas decided to cut the scene from the movie so Tarkovsky had to quickly do the scene at the end of the cartoon where Shaak Ti basically just gets tied up and left behind instead.

I was actually glad when I read that because when I first saw the Tarkovsky cartoon, I thought that was a really stupid part - Grievous capturing her after a pretty cool fight scene, gloating over how he has something special planned for her...And then that 'special' plan basically just being that he's going to leave her behind and forget about her.

Other interesting thing about Shaak Ti's alternate death: originally after Shaak Ti would be killed at the start of ROTS, Lucas was going to have her replacement on the Jedi Council be one of the characters from the Republic comics. I forget which one though, but I remember it wasn't Quinlan Vos or Tholme or the tree lady (Quinlan was originally going to appear in the Order 66 montage, though).

The deleted scenes of her death is ridiculously embarrassing.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
I liked the Labyrinth of Evil take of events more than the Clone Wars cartoon...

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Off topic, but wasn't there talk at some point of Tarkovsky making a Samurai Jack movie? That would own (Jack is what the Jedi should have been btw)

On topic, what's up with Boba Fett following the Falcon after they escape the Star Destroyers at Hoth? The Falcon is conventional drives only at that point so the trip to Bespin has to at least be weeks if not longer (which would still mean Bespin and Hoth are in the same solar system) and Fett just follows them the whole way? Why doesn't he attempt to disable them at some point?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Off topic, but wasn't there talk at some point of Tarkovsky making a Samurai Jack movie? That would own (Jack is what the Jedi should have been btw)

On topic, what's up with Boba Fett following the Falcon after they escape the Star Destroyers at Hoth? The Falcon is conventional drives only at that point so the trip to Bespin has to at least be weeks if not longer (which would still mean Bespin and Hoth are in the same solar system) and Fett just follows them the whole way? Why doesn't he attempt to disable them at some point?

Fett doesn't follow them. He figures out that the only place they could be going to is Bespin, so he goes and gets Vader and they get to Bespin before the falcon does.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Lord Vader, I've deduced their destination as Cloud City!
Excellent.
Only... they won't get there for like a month and a half.
Oh. Well, hmm...
You want I should capture them now?
Naw, that's cool. We can just wait I guess.
Or you could just warp over to my coordinates, I'm right behind them.
Ehhh...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Given that Vader's real goal was Luke, this makes a lot more sense.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

RagnarokAngel posted:

No no, he's talking about the new Clone Wars cartoon, the CGI one. He coughs in that one. But it takes place in (essentially overwrites) the same time frame as the Tartakovsky series.

:psyduck: But it doesn't overwrite anything.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The deleted scenes of her death is ridiculously embarrassing.

That whole deleted scene is so retardedly bad that my brain keeps shuffling it into "stupid dream I had" territory. The only annoying part about that happening is whenever someone bitches about it I get a momentary feeling of "wait, am I asleep?"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I remember not too long ago, I think over the past summer, there was an announcement that JJ Abrams was going to produce it. That's about the only bit of information I recall about it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

NGL posted:

:psyduck: But it doesn't overwrite anything.

They could occur concurrently I admit, it's not impossible. But introductions of characters like Ahsoka make it a lot harder to reasonably line up.

As I understand it though they made a new canon specifically to cover the tv show (and if it ever exists that live action tv show) called T-Canon, it fits between G-Canon (the 6 movies) and C-Canon (most of the books, comic books, games etc.).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Canon#Canon_in_the_Holocron_continuity_database

The original Clone Wars cartoon was C-canon, and since the new Clone Wars is T-Canon (aka a "higher" canon) any contradictions are superseded by the new show. Now this obviously doesn't mean everything no longer "works" but it does deal with the fact that Grievous coughs in the new one and doesn't in the old one, which contradicts with the original canon reason for him to cough.

Yeah yeah I know :goonsay:

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 3, 2011

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

SeanBeansShako posted:

We're lucky Lucas didn't get any stomach issues with the catering food if that is true then, Grevious could have been doing something much worse than couging :gonk:.

"Time to abandon poo poo!"

Chairman Capone posted:

He was in the comic book adaption, at least:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elan Sel'Sabagno got Grevious hooked on death sticks and they made him evil plus gave him the cough. Because of these death sticks a bunch of people had their lives ruined, and you have Space-Andy Dick to blame for it.

In truth the death stick dealer really does get a loving name, and a backstory. He really is named Elan Sel'Sabagno, and he sells Boba Fett some poo poo, and then Boba Fett tries to kill Mace Windu with this poo poo, and I'm surprised they didn't make him a loving Jedi while they were at it.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Dave Syndrome posted:

He was in the comic book adaption, at least:

He survived.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Casimir Radon posted:

In truth the death stick dealer really does get a loving name, and a backstory. He really is named Elan Sel'Sabagno

Actually it's Elan Sleazebaggano, :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Actually it's Elan Sleazebaggano, :colbert:
Wookiepedia says that's an alias, obviously for hiding from the Jedi Purge :colbert:

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

RagnarokAngel posted:

They could occur concurrently I admit, it's not impossible. But introductions of characters like Ahsoka make it a lot harder to reasonably line up.

The two series basically covers different parts of the war.

Basically the Tartakovsky series covers the first six-or-so months of the war in it's first batch of episodes: Anakin is still a padawan, he and Obi-Wan fight Durge, Anakin fights Asajj Ventress and then Anakin becomes a Jedi knight. The Tartakovsky series then does a huge jump to the very end of the war right before RotS, where you see Anakin and Obi-Wan on Nelvana and the invasion of Coruscant. That is a jump of about two and a half years to the very end of the war, and it's in that two and a half year gap that the 3D series is set.

The new series actually builds on many things from the Tartakovsky series. Anakin and Obi-Wan already know who Asajj Ventress is, because she was introduced in the Tartakovsky series. She even had the same ship and outfit that she wore in the Tartakovsky series in some of the recent episodes. Anakin is already a Jedi knight in the 3D series because we already happened in the Tartakovsky series. We also see ARC Troopers too.

Of course, things like Ahsoka do cause problems, but since the series is still ongoing they just havn't told us what happens to her yet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That all makes sense, I didnt think of that. Guess it's going to hinge on how and when the 3D one ends.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
It's going to end with two character tie ups, and a lead in to either the Tartakovsky series or directly into RotS.

Ventress will die or be arrested (to explain why she isn't in RotS). Probably die. In a two-episode long duel with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, Plo Koon, Shaak Ti and probably Han Solo.

There's a few options with Ashoka.
1) She dies. It will happen in some tragic way that links into RotS (parhaps Dooku will do it) despite this making no sense.
2) (marginally more likely) She'll get knighted as the youngest knight ever (because she's so Awesome!), and go off to do her own thing. Obi-Wan will pat Anakin oin the shoulder and tell him he'll be a Master soon.
3) (Far more likely) She'll go off somewhere; leave the Jedi, get stranded somehwere MIA, something like that. She'll survive Order 66 and the Empire before apearing in the far-future EU to kill the third incarnation of darth Krayt at 150 years old.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Ashoka is profitable and popular. She won't die until those two traits are gone.

What'll probably happen is that she will APPEAR to die in front of Anakin, driving him further into vengeance mode. She'll probably fall into a black hole or something, and then, after Anakin screams revenge on Dooku, we see her ship pop up 10000000 miles away near Voyager.

Oh, bitter irony and sadness, she's alive but Anakin doesn't know it, if only he knew...

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 3, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Roboto posted:

Ashoka is profitable and popular. She won't die until those two traits are gone.

What'll probably happen is that she will APPEAR to die in front of Anakin, driving him further into vengeance mode. She'll probably fall into a black hole or something, and then, after Anakin screams revenge on Dooku, we see her ship pop up 10000000 miles away near Voyager.

Oh, bitter irony and sadness, she's alive but Anakin doesn't know it, if only he knew...

Or she'll leave the Jedi Order because of Anakin's teachings and remove herself from the whole thing without killed. There were several episodes that hinted at her not being blind to Anakin's rather interesting views regarding morality. Losing his pupil this way might be tied in to his push for becoming a Jedi Master in RotS, trying to make up his failure with a fancy title.
And it isn't as if her surviving would be much of a problem. We already have 17 or so Jedis running around during the "He is our last hope - no there is another..." scene.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Decius posted:

We already have 17 or so Jedis running around during the "He is our last hope - no there is another..." scene.

See, you just didn't see the rest of that scene is all. "No, there is another...[scene ends]...list in my hut of many other candidates. Pick one, we shall, and after loving them up, pick yet another we shall. On we shall go until truly embarrassing, this gets." Then Obi-Wan shakes his head and wonders aloud why he ended getting killed by a walking iron-lung instead of forming an army out of the remaining Jedi.

I'm sure that scene will be put back into the 3D version.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Poopelyse posted:

Is anybody else super excited about Star Wars: The Old Republic or is just me? BioWare + Star Wars + MMO seems like a pretty freakin' sweet combination to me.

Taken separately, each of those things make me think "Used to be good, probably will be terrible." Combining them leaves me with zero enthusiasm.

No one should ever be excited about a videogame before it comes out, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Bene Elim posted:

It's going to end with two character tie ups, and a lead in to either the Tartakovsky series or directly into RotS.

Ventress will die or be arrested (to explain why she isn't in RotS). Probably die. In a two-episode long duel with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, Plo Koon, Shaak Ti and probably Han Solo.

They already tied up Ventress. She was double-crossed by Dooku, captured, then going to be taken to some hospital. But she got free and told the pilots to take her as far away from the war as possible. So they did, and she vanished.