Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Kojiro posted:

Another one where Kat's quite clearly on the side of the Court and Annie's on the side of the forest.. That's been a theme with all but the first treatise.

Don't argue, girls! :ohdear:

Here's all the others, if anyone wants to see but doesn't want to dig about.
First
Second
Third

Starting with the second, Jeanne is between the two- or in one of them, her sword.

Love this. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Fourth treatise = time to make a donation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fecha posted:

Nope, it's a treatise. Mm, symbolism. I like how Annie's still tied to Kat, though Jeanne is separating them. Also, it does seem pretty implied that Ysengrin's ear loss is somehow magic-related.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? His ear was just lopped off from physical means? I mean, you can see he still has his "ethereal" ear, had it been magical, the ear would be missing completely. Kinda like how Annie's ethereal form has the scar that (arguably magical) Jeanne gave her.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Haven't we seen markings like the ones at Ysengrin's ear somewhere before in the comic? They look really familiar and it's driving me a little bit crazy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dumb brunette posted:

Haven't we seen markings like the ones at Ysengrin's ear somewhere before in the comic? They look really familiar and it's driving me a little bit crazy.

Yes, when Annie looked at all three versions of him, one had the ear stuff showing.

Note that Renard now has a new symbol on his forehead, Annie's hair is fire in the forest, and normal as it approaches Kat (the court). We have a reinforcement of the birds are watching motif at the top.

Jeanne separating the two might be symbolic (she's stuck between the court and the forest now), and it might also by literal, in that her resolution will re-unite Kat and Annie. Also, any resolution for Jeanne is going to involve matters of the heart.

Annie still has her hand, which is good, though the forest vines are holding her where coyote placed his band. She's also wearing the tooth as a necklace, despite having left it behind in the court.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Calico Noose posted:

I love the fact that working on his hobby, Tom manages to produce several magnitudes more content than the Dresden Codak guy did after he quit his job to work on it full time. I know which one is getting my money.

I'll say! It's a loving shame Tom doesn't get the amount he deserves.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Agreeable Employer posted:

I'll say! It's a loving shame Tom doesn't get the amount he deserves.

He probably would be getting that sweet Dresden Kodak money if

1) He centered the focus of the comic onto Kat.
2) He threw away all moral ambiguity and just made the court good because science. (With a newfound focus on transhumanism)
3) He aged the main cast into their 20's
4) Male gaze all the time.

Ta-Da, instant success! :bravo:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

For all its flaws Dresden Codak is still pretty at worst and pretty and engaging at best, and Diaz seems to be a real nice guy. Let's pick our battles here (and try not to turn into the CAD thread), folks!
(Unless we're saying that the problem lies with the weirdo fans of DC that clamor for fanservice, in which case sure)

Anyway I donated 20 bucks to do my part in righting these cosmic wrongs

Hungry Black Mage
Aug 24, 2007

So very hungry.
So pretty.

Dear Tom:

I will buy every book of this series that you produce. Thanks for an awesome comic. :unsmith:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The 19th Person posted:

He probably would be getting that sweet Dresden Kodak money if

1) He centered the focus of the comic onto Kat.
2) He threw away all moral ambiguity and just made the court good because science. (With a newfound focus on transhumanism)
3) He aged the main cast into their 20's
4) Male gaze all the time.

Ta-Da, instant success! :bravo:
He could probably make even more money if he skipped the third step.

:gonk:

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He could probably make even more money if he skipped the third step.

:gonk:
Nooooo
:barf:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Kat is going to Scotland, not Japan. Stop it right now forum.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Good analysis of the treatise, but what's the symbolism of the sun looking like a butt?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Elftor posted:

Good analysis of the treatise, but what's the symbolism of the sun looking like a butt?

It's a little silly to analyze the treatise artwork for foreshadowing, because they seem to serve more as summaries of the "events thus far" than anything else.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Hungry Black Mage posted:

So pretty.

Dear Tom:

I will buy every book of this series that you produce. Thanks for an awesome comic. :unsmith:

Sadly, from what I hear he doesn't get any money at all from book sales.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tender Child Loins posted:

It's a little silly to analyze the treatise artwork for foreshadowing, because they seem to serve more as summaries of the "events thus far" than anything else.

Past treatises actually have had a lot of foreshadowing.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

How does that even work? Wouldn't it make more sense to just sell the books himself considering his limited market audience?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

How does that even work? Wouldn't it make more sense to just sell the books himself considering his limited market audience?

I don't know. But if you buy books directly from him at a con or something he gets money for it so there is that.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Soylentbits posted:

I'd like to know, too. Did he get one of those book deals where he only got a chunk of an advance payment with no royalties?

If, that is, some kind of book deal like that exists, that is.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Soylentbits posted:

A lot of publishers will give an author an advance and then not pay them any more royalties until the advance has been paid back.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Psych posted:

A lot of publishers will give an author an advance and then not pay them any more royalties until the advance has been paid back.

That's basically what an advance tends to mean.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Agreeable Employer posted:

I'd like to know, too. Did he get one of those book deals where he only got a chunk of an advance payment with no royalties?

If, that is, some kind of book deal like that exists, that is.
That is. I was told in my writing classes that those checkout aisle romance novels you can find in grocery stores are basically bought from the author for a few grand. Authors learn to crank them out fast enough to make a living. I dunno what the deal with Siddell's books are though... they're really high quality, and the seller, Archaia, seems like it's independent.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Looks like Tom's taken down the Formspring page. Was this recent, or is it for the duration of the chapter break, or did I just miss when it happened?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Kismet posted:

Looks like Tom's taken down the Formspring page. Was this recent, or is it for the duration of the chapter break, or did I just miss when it happened?

It was a while ago, I think he got sick of the really dumb questions and baseless speculation.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Alright, cool. I'm actually really glad and think it was a good move on his part.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
A few pages back, someone dug up the text of an Archaia agreement with another author, and it appears they do straight profit-sharing, assuming their agreements are usually like that.

It's possible they use Hollywood Accounting to reduce the profit to the point where they never actually have to pay Tom anything, but this is pure speculation. He's never actually said why he makes no money from the books.

Regardless, it's a good idea to buy them if for no other reason than to demonstrate to retailers that there's demand for the series; after all, Tom might get a better deal or switch publishers someday.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
I like how, for Gunnerkrigg Court, taking two weeks off from the story means we get MORE content than usual.

I hope it's more city face.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
City Face is on vacation! Meet his cousin, Country Face!

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

City Face is on vacation! Meet his cousin, Country Face!

D'awwww. Reminds me of two pairs of pigeons that like to hang out all year in my uncle's barn near one of his canola fields.

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.
the opposed reyardine/ysengrim poses are pretty interesting, from the splash page. What do we know of their relationship before rey went to the court?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Aeldaar posted:

the opposed reyardine/ysengrim poses are pretty interesting, from the splash page. What do we know of their relationship before rey went to the court?

Well, Reynard and Isengrim (or Ysengrin) is a cycle of Medieval European stories about a clever trickster fox who constantly gets the better of a dim-witted wolf. I'd assume that in the world of GC these stories are about real events, since Coyote heard about them and traveled across the ocean to find them.

Anyway, generally speaking, in these stories Reynard is a folk hero/trickster type and Ysengrin is a self-important bully who keeps trying to get Reynard arrested and/or killed.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Mirage posted:

Well, Reynard and Isengrim (or Ysengrin) is a cycle of Medieval European stories about a clever trickster fox who constantly gets the better of a dim-witted wolf. I'd assume that in the world of GC these stories are about real events, since Coyote heard about them and traveled across the ocean to find them.

Anyway, generally speaking, in these stories Reynard is a folk hero/trickster type and Ysengrin is a self-important bully who keeps trying to get Reynard arrested and/or killed.

Which would probably explain Disney's use of a fox and wolf for their rendition of Robin Hood. (Robin is the fox, the wolf is the Sheriff.)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Whoops. :(

I somehow got it into my head that the spider in the treatise symbolized one of the spirits that guided the dead, but it turns out we never see Ketrak in the comic. But considering Kat's reaction, I assume he's not just a spider himself.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know what the origin of Ketrak is? Most of the psychopomps are named after death gods/omens in various mythologies and folklores. I thought Ketrak was Egyptian, but it turns out I was thinking of the temple of Karnak, which is completely different.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Tea-san probably made him up, considering he's the insect psychopomp and the typical insect has quite a low understanding of mythology of any kind :v:

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Yeeeees the glorious return of City Face! :allears:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Go away, magpie! City Face is just trying to enjoy that whatever-it-is! :mad:

PoorRichMorgan
Mar 30, 2010

This is super excellent I was triple excited when I saw this first strip!

I did a voiceover thing for the first City Face a long while ago, and I'll try to do a better one once the whole of this City Face is released. I'm from the US though so I don't know how that would go.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Are the comments saved when these strips are archived? Because the comment section is maybe the best part of City Face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Wait, so does Tom play with his comments section, or does Gunnerkrigg just have the best fans on the face of the planet?

Also, why have I never bothered reading the comments before? This is a day of many discoveries.