Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Gothsheep posted:

I'm curious. If we had gone with the Death Commandos, would we be running this mission from the other side?

Unlikely. At the first sign of rescue attempt, players would just turn their 'mechs around and slaughter all the hostages.

That, or they'd tie the hostages to their 'mechs as meat-based emotionally-exploitative ablative armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also they would shoot a baby*.

*Actual activities of a Death Commando as seen first-hand in a novel.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SynthOrange posted:

Well you asked for it. (also work was slow as hell today)

This rules. I feel like it needs LAMS for "eyes" and some SRM "saddlebags", though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You put saddlebags on a beast of burden, not a beautiful, magical unicorn. :allears:

No idea what you mean by LAMs though. Having Land-Air Mechs for eyes would be weird.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

You put saddlebags on a beast of burden, not a beautiful, magical unicorn. :allears:

No idea what you mean by LAMs though. Having Land-Air Mechs for eyes would be weird.

I suspect he meant LRMs.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Laser Anti-Missile system. An ammo-free, high-heat CIWS for taking out incoming LRM's and SRM's.

EDIT:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That, or they'd tie the hostages to their 'mechs as meat-based emotionally-exploitative ablative armor.

This. The more the Death Commandos model their psychological warfare on the Cybrids from Starsiege, the better.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 3, 2011

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Preechr posted:

Laser Anti-Missile system. An ammo-free, high-heat CIWS for taking out incoming LRM's and SRM's.
Correct. Who wouldn't want little rotating laser turrets for eyes?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Okay, this is going to be Awesome.

A hostage situation WITH GIANT MECHS. Yes... Once more the "Giant mechs make everything better" rule comes into play. :wooper:

edit: Also, the thing I like most about the fedcom civil war is that it gave us mechwarrior 4 and mw4mercs, really. :shobon:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 3, 2011

AtlantisMantis
Feb 8, 2008

aut vincere aut mori
So if there are hostages on the board does that mean our mechs can accidentally drop a salvo of missiles on them or something on a bad roll?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Talk about playing under pressure! You can't save all the hostages since at bare minimum it'll take a few turns to perform significant combat, or maybe even just to get to grips with the enemy. There's going to be some heart-wrenching turns though where a shot misses that would've shortened the game by a turn and saved a hostage.

I don't know enough about the game to know what the best strategy is. Defeat all mechs and tanks? Fend them off and kill the infantry? Snipe from range? Close to short and melee? Balancing highest efficiency with speed is going to be tough.

One thing's for sure, you're going to be running those mechs pretty hot!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mukaikubo posted:

Okay, this is going to be Awesome.
Don't give him any ideas.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

I'm curious. If we had gone with the Death Commandos, would we be running this mission from the other side?

My money is on "yes", but we'd be running it a few moments earlier when DK were taking the hostages. Can't kill'em all willy-nilly, gotta protect the friendly PBIs.

These scenarios are top notch. They should be saved and published as a PDF if quality is this consistent. I've bought less worthwhile official scenario packs. I especially like the objectives and special rules: they have always been a part of BattleTech experience. Simple 4 vs 4 to the death doesn't capture the real excitement. Objectives and complications are where it's at.

Anyone wanna make a small bet about the outcome of this? I'm betting there are no hostages alive after the smoke settles.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 3, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Man, the death commandos are making this outright fun. too bad we are the good guys but I think this is a really cool mission either way, and you got a bunch of infantry to play around with! that will lead to the REDACTED and show how awesome they are

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Oh, it is so on now.

Don't worry, nameless NPCs! Bunny Bear and I shall protect you! :pedo:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, let's see what kind of mechs the good guys have from PTN's post (going by Sarna, so I don't know movement, armor, etc)...

Tempest_56: RFL-3N Rifleman
2x Large Laser
2x Autocannon/5
2x Medium Lasers

Polaron: HBK-4G Hunchback
1x Autocannon/20
2x Medium Lasers
1x Small Laser

Mahoshonen: LNC25-01 Lancelot
1x PPC
2x Large Lasers
1x Medium Laser

Red_Mage: CPLT-C1 Catapult
2x LRM-15s
4x Medium Lasers

Bobbin Threadbare: WVR-6M Wolverine
1x Large Laser
1x SRM-6
2x Medium Lasers

A fast heavy recon mech, two fire support mechs, and two just plain fire mechs. I wonder what the Commandos have brought to the party...

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 3, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

1x Autocannon/20
2x Medium Lasers
1x Small Laser

1x PPC
2x Large Lasers
1x Medium Laser

these are two of my favorite mechs of the era :shobon:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hob_Gadling posted:

My money is on "yes", but we'd be running it a few moments earlier when DK were taking the hostages. Can't kill'em all willy-nilly, gotta protect the friendly PBIs.

These scenarios are top notch. They should be saved and published as a PDF if quality is this consistent. I've bought less worthwhile official scenario packs. I especially like the objectives and special rules: they have always been a part of BattleTech experience. Simple 4 vs 4 to the death doesn't capture the real excitement. Objectives and complications are where it's at.

Anyone wanna make a small bet about the outcome of this? I'm betting there are no hostages alive after the smoke settles.

I'll take that bet. In fact, I'll bet an account upgrade that not only will hostages survive, but Gavillan Comancho will be one of them.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Cythereal posted:

Well, let's see what kind of mechs the good guys have from PTN's post (going by Sarna, so I don't know movement, armor, etc)...

Tempest_56: RFL-3N Rifleman
2x Large Laser
2x Autocannon/5
2x Medium Lasers

1x Autocannon/20
2x Medium Lasers
1x Small Laser

1x PPC
2x Large Lasers
1x Medium Laser

Red_Mage: CPLT-C1 Catapult
2x LRM-15s
4x Medium Lasers

Bobbin Threadbare: WVR-6M Wolverine
1x Autocannon/5
1x SRM-6
1x Medium Laser

A fast heavy recon mech, two fire support mechs, and two just plain fire mechs. I wonder what the Commandos have brought to the party...

The Lancelot is the original Star League version if the designation is correct, so it moves 6/9 and has double heat sinks. The Wolverine is actually one of the (better) variants with a LLAS instead of the AC/5.

Of course, Riflemen famously have terrible armor and melt if you Alpha Strike.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Axe-man posted:

these are two of my favorite mechs of the era :shobon:

Sup hunchback respect buddy.

I know that of course the games are completely different than BT, but I got to playing MW4M again to get back into the big robot mood. Just this morning finished up all the medium matches on Solaris: all hunchy, all the time. Scoliosis ftw.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Merry Marauder posted:

The Wolverine is actually one of the (better) variants with a LLAS instead of the AC/5.

Doh. Fixed.

@Hunchbacks: if I remember my MechWarrior right, don't Hunchbacks have tinfoil for armor?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tempest_56 posted:

Oh, it is so on now.

Don't worry, nameless NPCs! Bunny Bear and I shall protect you! :pedo:

Should I not be involved here? Just sayin'

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

I'll take that bet. In fact, I'll bet an account upgrade that not only will hostages survive, but Gavillan Comancho will be one of them.

You're on!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Doh. Fixed.

@Hunchbacks: if I remember my MechWarrior right, don't Hunchbacks have tinfoil for armor?

Some do, the Ac20 usually do, but the Ac10 version actually has okay armor.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

No, it's decently armored for its weight class. It just tends to draw a lot of fire for obvious reasons.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Time for a quick battlefield review!

RFL-3N Rifleman

The Rifleman's one of the Unseen and has been around forever. Originally designed as an AA platform, in game terms it's a somewhat flawed design. It packs pretty decent firepower - out to range 15 it can rattle off 26 damage a turn - but has middling armor and major heat issues. With only 10 heat sinks, you start overheating if you do more than fire one large laser and move. Still, a classic and fairly standard design.

HBK-4G Hunchback

The Hunchy's what happens when someone just wants a big gun. Another of the original crop of mechs, the Hunchback's slow for it's size but makes up for it with great armor and a god damned AC20. Not much range but it will murder the poo poo out of anything that comes close. A common phrase regarding the Hunchback is 'Bubble of Doom' - that AC20 is fearsome enough to act as an area denial weapon, creating a bubble of clear territory of 6 hexes around the Hunchback that nobody wants to enter.

LNC25-01 Lancelot

The only mech in this match (so far) that's not from the original 3025 TR, the Lancelot is a mostly lost SLDF design. A heavy medium with a pure energy base, it was designed to minimize logistics. Of particular note is that the -01 version is LosTech! While the guns are all standard, the -01 has double heat sinks, and an XL engine! Meaning it can fire the PPC and both large lasers without gaining heat and it moves 6/9, as fast as a Wasp does! The XL engine, however, is really fragile and the Lancelot is dead if it loses one of the side torsos!

CPLT-C1 Catapult

One of the two classic fire support designs (the other being the Archer), the Catapult pairs long ranged firepower with jumping mobility. She's a great machine, detracted only by the low ammo count. After 8 salvos, those LRMs are dry so they gotta count!

WVR-6M Wolverine

Another of the Unseen, the Wolverine is a classic medium striker mech. Quick, well armored and (in this case) packing an energy-based loadout, it's a solid all-around mech with few weaknesses.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The HBK-4G packs 160 points of armor, out of a maximum possible of 169 for it's weight. So... no.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

The HBK-4G packs 160 points of armor, out of a maximum possible of 169 for it's weight. So... no.

I stand corrected.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tempest_56 posted:

your right i think it is the Hunchback IIC cause it has two big guns :D

i got it wrong geez i always get one or two things wrong :-/

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

The Rifleman's one of the Unseen and has been around forever. Originally designed as an AA platform, in game terms it's a somewhat flawed design. It packs pretty decent firepower - out to range 15 it can rattle off 26 damage a turn - but has middling armor and major heat issues. With only 10 heat sinks, you start overheating if you do more than fire one large laser and move. Still, a classic and fairly standard design.

Rifleman is one of my all-time favorite designs exactly because at first sight it might appear to be flawed. And yes, there certainly are shortcomings in this classic design. Worst drawback is the limited ammo supply of AC/5 which almost cripples the venerable Rifleman: 20 rounds for 2 guns is not much. Then there are the people who think heat is a problem, others say it is too lightly armored.

But consider the upsides. Rifleman is a base of support that outguns many heavier designs at range. It's one of the most heavily armed mechs in existence in 3025: at range it is only outgunned by Awesome. Park it in a nice spot, and up to ten hexes you usually have very decent chances of hitting. The second large laser is for those moments where you can get a good chance to hit. Heat under 20 points is usually non-fatal anyway. Just fire the autocannons or hide behind a rock when you're cooling down. Standing in a lake is obviously a good idea.

You must love Rifleman for the bold design choice of not letting "must be able to run and fire everything" dictate the design. Catapult is 5 tons heavier and without practical overheating problems. Yet it does less damage on average (18 vs. 26) and is completely dependent on ammo supplies. While there are people who point out that Catapult would likely prevail in a duel, I say it's irrelevant. Fire support platforms are part of a team. Romantic ideals of knightly duels are something that only children and insane people uphold.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hob_Gadling posted:

Romantic ideals of knightly duels are something that only children and insane people uphold.

Or the clans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

Or the clans.

Or the Combine and some mercenaries we could mention.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Cythereal posted:

Wouldn't both of those go under insane anyway though?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Cythereal posted:

.... and some mercenaries we could mention.

Well, those mercenaries did that only because they were winning easily, I assume.
(Because they were loving damned lucky.)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Cythereal posted:

:smug:

Also, I absolutely love the mechs that we have in this scenario. Y'all saw me using the HBK-4G last night in MegaMek and the Catapult is my absolute most beloved IS fire support mech. Add in a classic, but effective Rifleman, and a holy poo poo Lancelot. And a Wolverine I guess, yay? I think the good guys will be able to save a few hostages, especially with the Call for Patience option.

Still, go Death Commandos. Make them bury their hostages.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 3, 2011

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Wow, I log off for the night and poo poo got even more awesome. ~The best part of waking up, is Caballeros loving Caps up~

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm finding myself very excited by this new scenario. It's all kinds of appropriate and dramatic.
I love that Lancelot. A very killy mech for the size of it at this point in time.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Wouldn't both of those go under insane anyway though?
Yup.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just a quick addendum to last night's post, since I forgot some things:

Hostages may only be killed if a unit of Capellan infantry occupies a 'Hostage' hex.

Eights the Aces One Caballero 'Mechwarrior can temporarily prevent an Ace Pilot from automatically winning initiative on the next turn (in which case the Ace will function just like the rest of the Opposing Force for that turn). For this scenario, this skill may be used twice.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Go Caballeros! Save some folks!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Agent Interrobang posted:

~The best part of waking up, is Caballeros loving Caps up~

I see some Capellans are looking to get fuckin' murdered, eh :ese:

Edit: Totally calling that Bunny Bear (that's Annie's new callsign) is gonna go all :ssj: at some point and alpha strike some unlucky fucker on the other side.

Edit 2: That intro bit was so perfectly Caballeros too, PTN. Good job, especially on the handles. Divot? Sir gently caress You? Cortez? :D

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
I really like Riflemen in spite of all the reasons I shouldn't.
During my FWL campaign I regularly used Rifleman 7M to great effect as a sniper. 2 light gauss rifles sniping at you from ~25 hexes really adds up after a while.

• Locked thread