Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Darth Ronson posted:

The most recent trade ends with the issue where Rick smacks down the the 'evil survivors' that have been coming to the new utopia. I liked the way they had these survivors being a background feature, making you think you were looking at a new Woodbury type situation, but having them dispatched drat quickly. Whereas the real threat is yet to come.

There is one more after that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Morand posted:

What trades would follow from where I ended?

If you're reading TPBs you are up to Vol 9, if you're reading HCs you are up to Vol 5. (source: Wikipedia)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
TPB 13 just came out a week or 2 ago.
I'm not sure, but I think the Compendium ends with TPB 4

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
The Compendium has 48 issues, it ends with TPB 8. You can continue with HC 5 and 6 from there.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

HolaMundo posted:

The Compendium has 48 issues, it ends with TPB 8. You can continue with HC 5 and 6 from there.

Thanks!

Dangerpants
Aug 11, 2005

How often do the individual issues come out? Pretty regular in schedule or on a when it's done it's done basis?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Secretariat posted:

How often do the individual issues come out? Pretty regular in schedule or on a when it's done it's done basis?
When it's done. Kirkman is not the world's most reliable author, either. He's been pretty good with keeping it coming out regularly lately, but that always hasn't been the case and you never know when it'll slip again.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's supposed to be monthly, but it's sometimes tri-monthly, and there was one month where Kirkman cranked out two issues to catch up on the release schedule.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
I just read a interview with Kirkman where he mentions the cast on the television show is checking out the comics.
The guy who plays Glen said that after reading issue 85 that he is happy to be one of three characters from the cast to still be alive.
If this is true, then Glenn makes it with two others, which could be Rick, Carl, Sophie, or Andrea.
I don't know how true this is, he could have gotten the issue and survivor number wrong, but it is something to talk about.

Whargoul fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 17, 2010

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Whargoul posted:

I just read a interview with Kirkman where he mentions the cast on the television show is checking out the comics.
The guy who plays Glen said that after reading issue 85 that he is happy to be one of three characters from the cast to still be alive.
If this is true, then Glenn makes it with two others, which could be Rick, Carl, Sophie, or Andrea.
I don't know how true this is, he could have gotten the issue and survivor number wrong, but it is something to talk about.

He's been telegraphing Andrea so much that I can't see her actually biting it. Carl definitely lives.

I could see Rick eating it, strangely enough. I doubt it, but there's only so far the series can go with him behind the wheel. He's been breaking down, and I'd love to see him full-out crack while saving the new town.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

quote:

But it's like you said, this is "The Walking Dead,"so an actor coming into the job should probably know it's not the most permanent gig.

Yeah, and it's funny, because there are three characters on the show right now that are still alive in the comics. You get to watch Steven Yeun [who plays Glenn] walking around on the set going, "Hey, it's issue #85 and I'm still in this one! Are you in it? When did you die? Issue #26? Well, that sucks!"

Immediately before this question they were talking about how it's hard to kill someone in TV because then an actor loses his job, and everyone has become friends. I think when he says that there are only 3 characters, he's just talking about the adults.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

RobBorer posted:

Immediately before this question they were talking about how it's hard to kill someone in TV because then an actor loses his job, and everyone has become friends. I think when he says that there are only 3 characters, he's just talking about the adults.

That is exactly what I read.

I hope he is only talking about the adults, though Carl has become one of the main characters in the book. Sophie really hasn't been touched on much in the books recently and hardly at all on the show, so I could see how he could over look her.

Anyway you look at it, I am have grown attached to all the remaining survivors from the first trade and I don't really want to see anymore of them die so soon. I didn't like it when Dale died in the "Fear of the Hunters" arc,and I don't want to see anyone else leave the book for right now.

If they kill anyone in No Way Out, I hope it is Michonne, I don't like that she turned on Rick for losing it even though she still talks to her dead boyfriend.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
This has probably been asked a million times but for the sake of avoiding a merciless onslaught of spoilers, is the comic book generally preferred to the TV series?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The TV series has 6 episodes and the comic book has been running for 7 or so years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

edit: nm

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just pulled an all-nighter to finish reading the compendium that I got for the holidays. And holy poo poo, Kirkman; never gonna get to sleep now.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Guh. Got back from Christmas vacation just to see they pushed back the release of issue #80 to the first week of January. Boo-urns.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Question about #80:

Why are zombies outside the wall OK in the prison arc but not now?

EDIT: spoiler tag fail

Also, Carl is a scary little badass but that should be no spoiler to anyone

ATP5G1 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 7, 2011

Cashtool
Jun 2, 2006
Gridironfans

Schroedinger posted:

Question about #80:

This is a "herd", which implies thousands upon thousands of undead drawing in even more by their movement. Abraham foreshadowed this at Herschel's farm.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

It also seemed like with the prison, you could potentially hole up behind concrete walls. Unfortunately, you don't really have any safety or security in this little cul-de-sac-- just houses.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

This issue seemed really uneventful. :/

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Schroedinger posted:

Question about #80:

With the prison, it was kind of out in the sticks and in the middle of nowhere. Right now, they're hold up in Alexandria VA, which is a suburb of DC. A whole lot more zombies in a much smaller space.

A rich community's gates probably have nowhere near the strength that a prison's has (I remember that the prison had about 4 or 5 gates set up before actually being able to hit the courtyard). Its only a matter of time before all the thousands of zombies pushing against the gates knocks them over. Not to mention, even if they do hold, the folks inside the community have absolutely no way of getting out and are quickly running low on food and electricity during winter.

As for the whole "three adults surviving thing":

Ideally I would like it to be Michonne, Glen, and Andrea. I think its time to switch viewpoints from Rick to Carl.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Some odd unnecessary spoliering going on around here.

I'm pretty sure you've mangled the "three surviving adults thing," as I recall the actor who played Glen said that he was one of the three original survivors in the comic (and he had allegedly seen future unpublished comics). There are only three surviving adults which is probably what he meant but an overly literal reading of his quote would mean that of Rick, Carl, Sophia, Glen and Andrea two are about to bite it (except not Glen). Michonne isn't one of the originals so her survival or not would not be affected.

My question about #80, why is Rick so nonchalante about Andrea's situation, he's talking about holding up for months in the compound, won't she freeze to death pretty drat quick with no easy rescue?

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 8, 2011

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

My question about #80, why is Rick so nonchalante about Andrea's situation, he's talking about holding up for months in the compound, won't she freeze to death pretty drat quick with no easy rescue?

I was wondering the same thing. The upcoming cover that features Glenn being grabbed off of a rope could happen while they are trying to rescue her.

-or-

Since the herd is distracted by the town, I guess it would be pretty reasonable to believe that Andrea could sneak out the back and meet up with the group later, like she did at the end of the prison arc.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DynamicSloth posted:

If it's cold enough she would have gone out with some decent clothing. She might not have a ton of food and water, but definitely enough to get through the day without any real problems. They need to get to her soon, but if they don't make certain they're secure inside the fence they're all totally hosed. She'll be ok for a few days, and they know how to distract the walkers so a breakout's possible later on.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think the real answer here is "she's Andrea."

She's really the biggest badass in the book right now.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think its more likely that he knows they can do nothing for Andrea, so he decides not to adress it at once.

Also I can see Andrea being the one to save everyone else, she moves to the back of the heard and starts making a lot of noise. They go after her and the rest of the community is safe.

Then we have like 10 comics without her, before she re-appears, even more bad rear end.

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior

Affi posted:

I think its more likely that he knows they can do nothing for Andrea, so he decides not to adress it at once.

Also I can see Andrea being the one to save everyone else, she moves to the back of the heard and starts making a lot of noise. They go after her and the rest of the community is safe.

Then we have like 10 comics without her, before she re-appears, even more bad rear end.

This is pretty much exactly what I am expecting to happen.

Also I didn't find the last comic uneventful at all. Lots of things are getting set up for a good arc.

Erotic Punisher
May 5, 2009

by Ozma
I read this whole comic from 1-74 in like 5 days, I was really entertained by it for sure. Since then I have been buying the new issues every month and I don't think I want to waste my money anymore. I don't really have any gripes with the story really as it kept me reading. I just am not sure where this new storyline is going and the art seems to be getting worse... I really liked the first few issues and since I read 1-74 on my computer I didn't realize they had changed artists.

I was like what the gently caress why does the art suck all of a sudden... thought the guy got a head injury or something. But yeah now I know what went down. I really feel they should like totally sack this guy because he is just terrible, he is just getting lazier and worse at his job. Issue 80 art was terrible. It is actually making me start to dislike this comic.

Also, I was pretty disappointed in the show too. Not because I'm some spergy dude but just because I thought it was kind of lame. I mean the direction they took it in was typical self indulgent Hollywood crap, the last episode was completely stupid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

quote:

Not because I'm some spergy dude

You don't have to tell us, your post lays it out clear how non-spergy you are. Do tell us more....

First off, there should be some sort of FAQ which clearly points out that jumping from reading it in a trade to reading it monthly will give you a terrible case of blue balls and will test even the most patient of men.

You have to realize that what you're reading in a short amount of time is the equivalent of 8 years worth of monthly.. or semi-monthly issues. It's utterly brutal. Not because of the story but because of how little each month actually gives you as a piece of the pie.

And while Adlard is not Tony Moore, his art is pretty good in its own right. Especially when you're dealing with pages filled with a lot of undead.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Erotic Punisher posted:

I read this whole comic from 1-74 in like 5 days, I was really entertained by it for sure. Since then I have been buying the new issues every month and I don't think I want to waste my money anymore. I don't really have any gripes with the story really as it kept me reading. I just am not sure where this new storyline is going and the art seems to be getting worse... I really liked the first few issues and since I read 1-74 on my computer I didn't realize they had changed artists.

So where did you buy the 74 issues that you read on your computer?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

So where did you buy the 74 issues that you read on your computer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH3JQjcweM

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I, for one, applaud Jack's dedication. It takes a lot of time to scan 70 issues of a comic, but now his compendium/trades will remain in great condition!

Welcome to the club of waiting for new issues from month to month. It sucks.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

on that note, any idea when 81 comes out?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

RobBorer posted:

on that note, any idea when 81 comes out?

Image's website says next week.

http://imagecomics.com/schedule.php?d=20110209

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Colonel Pancreas posted:

I, for one, applaud Jack's dedication. It takes a lot of time to scan 70 issues of a comic, but now his compendium/trades will remain in great condition!

Well he's obviously too busy scanning even more comics that he bought to reply!

But if you're not and are reading things Erotic Punisher you've got until the lepers colony updates to prove you purchased said issues.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

If anyone evers sees the zombie art from the front of the trades on a poster please please please let me know. Since book 13 came out I don't have a room large enough to lay all the books end to end without moving furniture so I can't even look at it as a single piece any more. I would love to have an unbroken string of zombies across every wall in my study/office. I thought about scanning them all but there seems to be about half an inch of art missing from cover to cover so it didn't work out :(

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Sanford posted:

If anyone evers sees the zombie art from the front of the trades on a poster please please please let me know. Since book 13 came out I don't have a room large enough to lay all the books end to end without moving furniture so I can't even look at it as a single piece any more. I would love to have an unbroken string of zombies across every wall in my study/office. I thought about scanning them all but there seems to be about half an inch of art missing from cover to cover so it didn't work out :(

Well, Tony Moore did make this shirt for threadless. The only posters I've seen were from the AMC television series. Not sure about the legalities of having your own poster printed, but you could do that instead.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Okay, a slight derail but that is only because the new Walking Dead hasn't come out yet. I would kill to have Invincible be given an ongoing HBO treatment. Especially after the last comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
And yet more reasons why people who plow through the trades in a day/week really should pace themselves. This month's issue felt far too short.

And looks like two of our original crew are out of the "no way out" situation.

• Locked thread