Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I will try and do the name of skinwalker proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Well, y'all have already covered the tactical breakdowns for me (shows what I get going to sleep at a sane hour like midnight) so that's one less post for me to make...

Also, everyone who's celebrating: Just wait and see what they have. :v:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Also: If you guys let that Lancelot take a single scratch you are all horrid monsters. That thing is a priceless relic till we start seeing clan salvage.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, everyone who's celebrating: Just wait and see what they have. :v:

Who cares we have Bunny Bear :3:

Also it'll probably be like half Vindicators or some poo poo

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
oh man oh man, is it bad i'm rooting for the Capellans? Also I love the fact they can be defeated or at least delayed by a Hispanic mother, that is so :3:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Having lived in a heavily Hispanic neighborhood for most of my childhood, I can attest to the awesome power of Mexican moms and grannies. They can loving MELT STEEL with a glare.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Worth noting that the mission objectives for this is to kill all the infantry, so you could hypothetically ignore the enemy mechs and unleash AC/20 on the ground pounders. Probably not the most tactically sound idea, but infantry always makes a funny noise when hit by a 20! :shobon:

VVV That totally changes nothing. AN AC/20 is always a great weapon to use on lone infantry units.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 3, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

KnoxZone posted:

Worth noting that the mission objectives for this is to kill all the infantry, so you could hypothetically ignore the enemy mechs and unleash AC/20 on the ground pounders. Probably not the most tactically sound idea, but infantry always makes a funny noise when hit by a 20! :shobon:

The mention of 'infantry damage' in the objectives part of the post seems to imply that PTN is using the newer rules, so it's not going to be a flat '20 damage = 20 dead infantry' and none of our mechs are really set up to damage them (Catapult is probably the best choice, but ideally we'd have MGs/SRMs/Flamers), under the new rules things like lasers (and ACs?) effectively do 1/10 damage because it's assumed platoons are spread out and in cover IIRC.

Edit: Also the Liao infantry is likely to spend a lot of time near/on/with the hostages anyway, do you really want to be firing on them then? We need that sniper squad to get on the field. :ohdear:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Rifleman is one of my all-time favorite designs exactly because at first sight it might appear to be flawed.

Don't get me wrong, the Rifleman can be pretty potent in the right hands. (We'll see if I'm the right hands. :smug:) But compared to other platforms of the same era, it's got a lot of weaknesses that come close to outweighing the strengths. Running a bit hot, I can accept. Heat is a fact of life in level 1 play. It's part of the challenge, after all! But that combined with the low armor, it's sacrificing a lot for firepower it can only use every other turn.

Though I admit, personally? When I heard Rifleman I was almost hoping for the RFL-4D variant. If you're gonna give up everything for raw firepower, you gotta go big!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

The mention of 'infantry damage' in the objectives part of the post seems to imply that PTN is using the newer rules, so it's not going to be a flat '20 damage = 20 dead infantry' and none of our mechs are really set up to damage them (Catapult is probably the best choice, but ideally we'd have MGs/SRMs/Flamers), under the new rules things like lasers (and ACs?) effectively do 1/10 damage because it's assumed platoons are spread out and in cover IIRC.

Yeah, I entirely agree. Depending on the disposition of the infantry and how much there is, it's pretty likely that actually firing on it with the mechs will be a waste of time and ammo. We don't have the tools to take it apart in any reasonable span of time.

Edit: Although now depending on the map, I've got an idea or two about how to at least slow 'em down...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man I finally finished downloading M4 Mercs and played it for four hours yesterday. I forgot what a great game it is. I also forgot how amazingly better late-era Inner Sphere mechs are than what we're seeing here. An Uziel could mount a heavier armament than some of these 80 ton monsters.

Once again I get to indulge my retarded love for X-Pulse Lasers. Sure they overheat my mech, but that doesn't matter when I get to fire a large laser every second. :3:

(They're also fantastically flexible. I find pulse lasers don't cut it when it comes to shooting mechs, but beam lasers don't deal with lighter targets well. X-Pulse fries everything (including yourself) and quick too!)

Right now I'm rocking a 70-ton Thanatos loaded with a CLBXAC/20, CULTRAAC/5, CSTRK 4 & 6, 2 medium X-Pulse Lasers and a small X-Pulse. At 70 tons. With 360 degree torso twist. Power creep feels sooo good.

I pull off everything that isn't guns and armor. ECM? What's that? Engines? Whatever. Jump Jets? Always forget where the button is anyway. Anti-missile system? The best anti-missile system is an AC/20. :black101:

Anyone else have pet designs or design philosophies? Anyone else use x-pulse lasers?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 3, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Right now I'm rocking a 70-ton Thanatos loaded with a CLBXAC/20, CULTRAAC/5, CSTRK 4 & 6, 2 medium X-Pulse Lasers and a small X-Pulse. At 70 tons. With 360 degree torso twist. Power creep feels sooo good.

Whenever I play MW4Mercs I usually set up my mechs so that I only have 2 or 3 weapons groups. I guess I'm lazy that way. Maybe a big rack of LRMs in one, a heavy autocannon in the second, and a cluster of medium lasers in the third.

The Thanatos is a loving beast of a mech though, no argument there.

Edit: design philosophy... Drop the engine down as low as it will go (50-60mph is plenty for me, I can't aim for poo poo doing 100+), max out armor, I try to fit in ECM/advanced gyro/LAMS if I can, but always put BAP on missile boats. I like fire support in tabletop/megamek but in MW4M it seems like you always end up dancing with tangos so I usually load up with some sort of heavy AC and a cluster of energy weapons as backup.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 3, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Actually I only ever use 3 groupings as well. The Ultra AC/5 has almost the same cycle time as a medium X-pulse laser. The AC/5 and pulse lasers are bound to the trigger, the AC/20 to the middle thumb button, and the missiles on the right-hand thumb button. I tend to group things by cycle time rather than range in a close-range slugging mech, because range is irrelevant at 40 meters.

In MW4 I like to work with the awful AI rather than against it, so I usually pilot lighter slugging mechs and give my secondary lance heavier long range mechs. They're going to end up strung out a kilometer behind you anyway so you might as well give them ER PPCs.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Awwww what the hell, may as well do it even though I'm late to the party so the players have all the stats they want in a nice handy batch to plan strategy.

Tactical Data/Advice, Fight 2

RFL-3N Rifleman

Tonnage: 60
Movement: 4/6, no jump jets
Armor: 7.5 tons
Heat Dissipation: 10/turn

Weapons:
2x Autocannon-5. Damage 5, Heat 1, Range 6/12/18 (minimum range: 3) [Total Ammo: 20 shots]
2x Large Laser. Damage 8, Heat 8, Range 5/10/15
2x Medium Laser. Damage 5, Heat 3, Range 3/6/9
(Maximum heat per turn: 26, including running)

Overview: You can hit hard. You can hit from long range. If you try to do too much hitting, you will explode. Heat management is your first major problem. The fact that you have less armor than some mechs half your size is another major problem. On the other hand, if you get just the right shot 3 hexes away from someone's back you can absolutely rip them to pieces. But mostly you'll probably be sniping and moving around a lot, because you can't afford to fire too often or take too many hits.

HBK-4G Hunchback

Tonnage: 50
Movement: 4/6, no jump jets
Armor: 10 tons
Heat Dissipation: 13/turn

Weapons:
1x Autocannon-20. Damage 20, Heat 7, Range 3/6/9 [Total Ammo: 10 shots]
1x Small Laser. Damage 3, Heat 1, Range 1/2/3
(Maximum heat per turn: 16, including running)

Overview: The bad news? You have the mobility of a pregnant cow, and you have no way to shoot anyone more than 9 hexes away- and little chance to hit anyone more than 6 hexes away. The good news? If you get close to someone, that autocannon has the ability to blow more than a ton of armor off someone with each hit, and on most mechs your size or even a bit bigger you're going to core straight through to the creamy critical-filled innards of a mech every time you hit it. Don't let people stay away from you. Heat isn't a concern, and you can soak a surprising amount of damage for your weight class. Get close, and don't let them disengage.

LNC25-01 Lancelot

Tonnage: 60
Movement: 6/9, no jump jets
Armor: 9.5 tons
Heat Dissipation: 26 per turn

Weapons:
1x PPC. Damage 10, Heat 10, Range 6/12/18 (minimum range: 3)
2x Large Laser. Damage 8, Heat 8, Range 5/10/15
1x Medium Laser. Damage 5, Heat 3, Range 3/6/9
(Maximum heat per turn: 31, including running)

Overview: This is a beauty of a mech. A BEAUTY. And I mean that in the Steve Irwin "If you have to fight it, get close and wrestle it while screaming incoherently" type of BEAUTY. You move like a light mech, and you're armored well for the heavy you are. You can deal out laughably high amounts of damage, and you can do it at long range. This is one of my personal favorites of the Star League era! You have to really work to overheat yourself, but it can be done. I'd recommend sticking to middle-long range, say, 6-10 hexes, and keeping up a continuous stream of fire with those three monster energy weapons. If this mech, say, took off a medium laser and a heat sink for a few jump jets, I might marry it. :3:

CPLT-C1 Catapult

Tonnage: 65
Movement: 4/6/4
Armor: 10 tons
Heat Dissipation: 15/turn

Weapons:
2x LRM-15. Damage 1-15, Heat 5. Range 7/14/21 (minimum range: 6) [Total Ammo: 16 shots]
4x Medium Laser. Damage 5, Heat 3, Range 3/6/9
(Maximum heat per turn: 26, including a full jump)

Well... it's a very good fire support mech, and it's got a decent close in armament even if you'd rather not rely on it for a stand up fight with anything but a very light mech. You'll need to. That minimum range of 6 is rough. Where the Hunchback is desperate to get within 6 hexes of an enemy, you're desperate to stay 6 hexes away. Your biggest problem is going to be low ammo in a drawn out firefight; don't be afraid to only fire one rack unless you have a great shot. Make your missiles count; once you're out, you're a slower and worse-armed Jenner. On the upside, you have jump jets! Use 'em well to help discourage closing in.

WVR-6M Wolverine

Tonnage: 55
Movement: 5/8/5
Armor: 10.5 tons
Heat Dissipation: 14/turn

Weapons:
1x Large Laser. Damage 8, Heat 8, Range 5/10/15
1x SRM-6. Damage 2-12, Heat 4, Range 3/6/9 [Total Ammo: 15 shots]
(Max heat per turn: 23, including a full jump)

Overview: Well, you're the most heavily armored Mech the good guys have, and arguably the most mobile as well. The downside is that you have kind of a shrimpy punch; on a perfect alpha strike you're dealing less damage than your lancemates. You'll just have to use that skill of yours to make sure you hit more, no? You have broad freedom in how to engage, but considering the number of fire support mechs you guys have I'd suggest you use those jump jets and close and engage at close range along with the Hunchback. The two of you are armored for bear and have a good short range punch.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh man. A Hunchback. And me always playing heavy fire support. This should be a switch. Those of you who say it's one of your favorite designs, I'm going to be asking for a lot of advice with this one. :shobon:

I also like how you put the worst shot in the group into the Hunchback, PTN. How many shots do I have with that autocannon, again?

EDIT: Hey, look right above my post. A breakdown telling me ammo and other things.

From what I remember from shooting at other Hunchbacks, I'm definitely going to need someone distracting my targets until I get within range of that monster on my shoulder. Also, I'm thinking I should go ahead and fire off that Patience special ability the Texican Mother has first turn to make up for the very real possibility that none of us are really going to be in range to do anything first turn (with the possible exceptions of the Catapult and Rifleman).

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
hunchys are all about good piloting and using the terrain to get close and personal, once you get up close your fine, just fire away and try to get an exposed backside. if you are stuck at long range you might as well put insults in a letter and mail it via the US post office, it will be more effective at hurting their feelings then your mech hurts their armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

Also, I'm thinking I should go ahead and fire off that Patience special ability the Texican Mother has first turn

You can use that ability every turn.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Polaron posted:

From what I remember from shooting at other Hunchbacks, I'm definitely going to need someone distracting my targets until I get within range of that monster on my shoulder. Also, I'm thinking I should go ahead and fire off that Patience special ability the Texican Mother has first turn to make up for the very real possibility that none of us are really going to be in range to do anything first turn (with the possible exceptions of the Catapult and Rifleman).

Depending on what they have, you can probably get away with ducking from cover to cover until you get to range 0, and then start blasting, punching, and kicking. If you're close enough you probably don't even need to worry about cover and just charge in. Try not to get surrounded though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can use that ability every turn.

Ooh, I must have misread.

Fantastic.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Polaron posted:

Ooh, I must have misread.

Fantastic.

If you aren't using a distracting tirade every turn, you aren't playing Marisol Cabrera correctly. :colbert:

For the Hunchback, just remember that you are immensely slow and lack jumpjets. At least you are a fairly skilled pilot, so you can afford to take some liberties when moving about. Just be warned that the second the Capellans see your stubby little mech charging at them you are going to become the priority target for every mech in range. Use whatever cover is available to protect you from as much of it as possible.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 3, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

LeschNyhan posted:

Try not to get surrounded though.

That'll just mean that they're all within autocannon range.

I'll have them right where I want them! ¡Arriba! :black101:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

If you aren't using a distracting tirade every turn, you aren't playing Marisol Cabrera correctly. :colbert:

you just want a summary execution :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

You are entirely correct. La Dama Muerta's rules have been updated.

La Dama Muerta
Every turn, she may either launch into a Distracting Tirade which has a 1/2 chance of preventing the death of a hostage if no Capellan unit has taken damage this turn, or a 1/6 chance of preventing the death of a hostage if any Capellan unit has taken damage; or she may Mock and Berate the Capellan platoon leader which has a 2/3 chance of preventing the death of a hostage at the risk of a 1/3 chance of getting her executed. La Dama Muerta starts on the board.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Inferno shot that the techs have could come in pretty handy. They weren't very effective by 3050, but against 3025 mechs the heat can really make a difference.

Edit: I've also been informed that they can french fry infantry.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 3, 2011

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I can't understate just how much I love the Wolverine-6M. Imo the best heavy scout/raider Mech in 3025. Good armour, 5/8/5 movement, decent armament for the role and enough heatsinks to not get hot all the time. Also the best Wolverine variant. (The -6R trades has less armor and only one medlaser, an AC/5 and the SRM6, which means it has laughable firepower for a 55-tonner. The -6K trades in the Jump Jets for a small laser, another heatsink and a bit more armor, which imo isn't worth losing jump capability by a long shot.)

As for the inferno shots, you could alternatively use them against some cappie PBI that's not with the hostages. A hit from that is pretty much going to fry an entire platoon of the bastards in one go.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Might be worth running the Hunchback as an interdictor for the Rifleman. Not sitting a hex away as a bodyguard, but simply trying to keep roughly between it and the closest opponent so they have to run/jump past through your big gun's range if they want to take it out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And, since I have enough surprises waiting in the wings and a lot of work to do before the first Tac Update is ready, here's the Death Commandos!

WHM-6L Warhammer
VND-1R Vindicator
CTF-1X Cataphract (Ace Pilot)
BJ-1 Blackjack

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

That is a whole bunch of PPCs. At least the Blackjack is pretty undergunned for its weight.

Also should really not ignore the Vindicator - it's got really solid maneuverability and a big gun. At least it will always lose initiative.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 3, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Inferno shot that the techs have could come in pretty handy. They weren't very effective by 3050, but against 3025 mechs the heat can really make a difference.

Edit: I've also been informed that they can french fry infantry.

any flame weapon is effective against infantry there is reason why flame weapons are forbidden by NATO rules and the Geneva convention don't allow the use of them. So if you want to have fun use a flamer on them you sick bastards.

edit:

PoptartsNinja posted:

BJ-1 Blackjack

just come out and admit it you have a love of the noble blackjack

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 3, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

just come out and admit it you have a love of the noble blackjack

I hate it, actually. You've seen it at its best, so I want everyone to understand how it usually performs.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
It's a long list, but I'll go ahead and sign up as a MechWarrior now. I don't have PMs, so my email is

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 27, 2011

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
... So we've got three fungs, an old hard-rear end and a bruja (plus support crews and the Lady of Death herself)? I like those odds. :clint:

And with actual money riding on the outcome, no less. This is great stuff.

I'm also happy to see the Rifleman, because I recognized it as being from Robotech from Macross one of the "Unseen". :neckbeard:

LET'S MAKE THOSE CAPELLAN SONS OF BITCHES PAY! :ese: :ese: :ese: :ese: :ese:

Fake Edit: Oh snap... just saw the lineup PTN's throwing them up against. poo poo just got escalated. :ohdear:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That Warhammer looks like a beast. There doesn't seem to be a range at which it isn't utterly deadly. What's the counter to it besides everyone gang up on it and pray it goes down before it can destroy more than one of you?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

And, since I have enough surprises waiting in the wings and a lot of work to do before the first Tac Update is ready, here's the Death Commandos!

WHM-6L Warhammer
VND-1R Vindicator
BJ-1 Blackjack

WHM-6L Warhammer:
70 tons
4/6/0
11 ton Armor
2xPPCs
1xSRM-6
2xMedium Lasers
2xSmall Lasers
2x Flamers

VND-1R Vindicator:
45 tons
4/6/4
9 ton armor
1xPPC
1xLRM-5
1xMedium Laser
1xSmall Laser

CTF-1X Cataphract:
70 ton
4/6/0
11 ton armor
1xPPC
1xAC/10
2xMedium Laser
2xMedium Laser (R)

BJ-1 Blackjack
45 tons
4/6/4
8.50 tons armor
2xAC/2
4xMedium Laser

Overview: A fairly slow lance overall, but it packs some dangerous firepower, especially at range. Being Death Commandos means they should be pretty drat skilled pilots to boot. Do your best to close in on any isolated enemy unit while staying wary from any enfilade fire. PPCs have great range, but do have a minimum range of 3, so if you can get the Hunchback and Wolverine close, they should be able to do some serious damage.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 3, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

WHM-6L Warhammer
VND-1R Vindicator
BJ-1 Blackjack

So many energy weapons that an alpha strike from both sides is going to make it look like Pink Floyd decided to go to war.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Well...Maybe we'll be able to kill the Blackjack before we get melted to pieces by PPC barrages?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

I hate it, actually. You've seen it at its best, so I want everyone to understand how it usually performs.

Well as you can tell by the fact my favorites of the era or either mediums like the centurion and hunchback, it is even in the best a little underpowered for me, i'd prefer a Ac/10 or a ppc instead a mix of kinda blah weapons.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
So I know everyone is freaking out but you have to remember that the Death Commando mechs are, on average, flimsier than the 17th Recon ones. Taking a PPC shot or two is going to suck but if you can get closer up the 17th Recon has a 60 ton mech advantage and a 10 ton armor advantage. They also lack LRMs so the catapult pretty much doesn't have to worry about return fire.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
On the plus side they don't have a drat thing that can stop your Hunchback from loving them up if it can get close and they hopefully can't maneuver too much on account of needing to guard the hostage hexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Longinus00 posted:

So I know everyone is freaking out but you have to remember that the Death Commando mechs are, on average, flimsier than the 17th Recon ones. Taking a PPC shot or two is going to suck but if you can get closer up the 17th Recon has a 60 ton mech advantage and a 10 ton armor advantage. They also lack LRMs so the catapult pretty much doesn't have to worry about return fire.

I'd concentrate on the Warhammer first. That'd take care of a lot of the other side's long-range capability, and then you can have the Hunchback play linebacker and force them to come to the Lancelot, Rifleman, and Catapult through a hail of AC/20 fire. Just hope the infantry forces can hold the Capellan infantry off of the hostages until then.

• Locked thread