Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Has any wrestler ever said a bad word about Undertaker? I know he's basically universally loved, but has ANYBODY ever spoken ill of him? London, Kendrick, Steiner, Sheik, anybody?

Brock lesnar hasn't anything good to say about Taker, and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

savinhill posted:

Plus it isn't like DDP was some guy who didn't get over once he was pushed and kept getting pushed at the expense of other guys.

Exactly - they were just having him beat jobbers every week and he was getting insane reactions from the crowd, so his buddies in the nWo lobbied for him to feud with them.

As for whether or not he's respected, I think a lot of the boys find him really annoying because he's so positive and most wrestlers are cynical jock rednecks. That he planned his matches out beforehand doesn't really matter; Randy Savage did the same thing.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CombineThresher posted:

Exactly - they were just having him beat jobbers every week and he was getting insane reactions from the crowd, so his buddies in the nWo lobbied for him to feud with them.

As for whether or not he's respected, I think a lot of the boys find him really annoying because he's so positive and most wrestlers are cynical jock rednecks. That he planned his matches out beforehand doesn't really matter; Randy Savage did the same thing.

Isn't there a story were Randy had a ring set up in his backyard for a match against Ricky Steamboat and practiced the match for 3 months prior to Wrestlemania 3?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Brock lesnar hasn't anything good to say about Taker, and vice versa.

yeah, this is wrong.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Nystral posted:

Isn't there a story were Randy had a ring set up in his backyard for a match against Ricky Steamboat and practiced the match for 3 months prior to Wrestlemania 3?

I want to say this is true but Steamboat wasn't even with Savage at any point. Savage is just fooling around and elbow dropping some stuffed clothes with a football for a head.

MisterGBH fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 3, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Burrito posted:

Two dead people and a Texan?!

A murderer, a zombie and a Fox Business analyst walk into a bar.

Which one do you immediately hate and mistust the most?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

Kid Kash

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MisterGBH posted:

Savage is just fooling around and elbow dropping some stuffed clothes with a football for a head.

I like to think this is what Savage is doing now, since he's stupid rich and doesn't have to work.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lone Rogue posted:

Aw, jeez, just more of your biophiliac bias against the living dead.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

I like to think this is what Savage is doing now, since he's stupid rich and doesn't have to work.

I take it Macho was one of the few big stars to actually hold onto their money from that era? That new deal for the action figures and stuff probably doesn't hurt either. It's just surprising that Randy Savage of all people was good with money.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I take it Macho was one of the few big stars to actually hold onto their money from that era? That new deal for the action figures and stuff probably doesn't hurt either. It's just surprising that Randy Savage of all people was good with money.

Macho Man wanted to buy WCW and was willing to do it at a price bigger than what Vince McMahon purchased it for, but he never got a chance.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
yeah but he's still crazy. I loving LOVE the pumping iron "oh, didn't see ya there!!!" turnarounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFC0RcefS8
"HHH, I'm gonna abduct your wife, rape her and potentially keep her locked in my basement!"

I know this is super old. It just never stops being really loving funny is all.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 3, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

The best thing about the Slim Jim ads is how Vince was loving LIVID with Macho Man for scoring an independent endorsement contract.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Macho made a fortune in WWF, and even more of one in WCW (enough to potentially buy it, as Lone Rogue said) and invested his money wisely enough that he can just live off that, plus his Slim Jim money and voice acting work.

edit: Tito Santana was also very smart with his money, putting away towards his retirement and making sure his family was taken care of while he was on the road. He still wrestles indies, but only when he wants to, and was so respected in the locker room for not being an idiot with his money that doing so became known as "the Tito thing."

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 3, 2011

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CombineThresher posted:

edit: Tito Santana was also very smart with his money, putting away towards his retirement and making sure his family was taken care of while he was on the road. He still wrestles indies, but only when he wants to, and was so respected in the locker room for not being an idiot with his money that doing so became known as "the Tito thing."

And he was such a professional and reliable worker, Vince had said he "wished he had a whole locker room of Tito Santanas".

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Macho Man wanted to buy WCW and was willing to do it at a price bigger than what Vince McMahon purchased it for, but he never got a chance.

A promotion run by Macho Man would have been batshit crazy but I would have watched every week.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Freddy Blassie wrote in his book about how Volkoff sent just about every dime he made back to his family, to the point where he'd usually have a meal on a little hotplate he brought with him. And Freddy bought him a new sweatshirt for Christmas, because his other one was getting so worn and ratty; Volkoff was so touched he nearly cried.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

A promotion run by Macho Man would have been batshit crazy but I would have watched every week.

I bet it would actually be very normal and we'd see matches where two lugs (Like, oh, Wall and Sid) would have a great match because Macho forced them to plan it move for move. I think Macho would have done a great job.

Writer Cath posted:

Freddy Blassie wrote in his book about how Volkoff sent just about every dime he made back to his family, to the point where he'd usually have a meal on a little hotplate he brought with him. And Freddy bought him a new sweatshirt for Christmas, because his other one was getting so worn and ratty; Volkoff was so touched he nearly cried.

I hate stories where Freddie is a nice guy.

Tell me he bit him with fangs after Volkoff put it on.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Saw this news bit about ratings in Mexico:

quote:

- Here are the latest wrestling ratings from Mexico…

* WWE Raw: 8.2
* WWE Smackdown: 9.2
* CMLL: 3.3
* AAA: 3.8

Do they use the same ratings system that usually gives WWE a 3.something average every week in America? If so, drat.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Do they use the same ratings system that usually gives WWE a 3.something average every week in America? If so, drat.

Del Rio is a ratings machine :neckbeard:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

cmll and aaa are in a major downswing while wwe's production values & cool stars are kind of taking over in mexico right now. wrestling has always been hugely popular there so it's no surprise that the new kid in town that looks mega cool is getting those ratings.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Shaman of Cum posted:

cmll and aaa are in a major downswing while wwe's production values & cool stars are kind of taking over in mexico right now. wrestling has always been hugely popular there so it's no surprise that the new kid in town that looks mega cool is getting those ratings.

Fair enough - I just didn't know if they used the same per household ratings system or if the 'exchange rate' on the number of viewers were different. Kinda like how a platinum record is 1 million in some countries and 500k in others or whatever. If it is the same and they are doubling their ratings in other countries that's pretty impressive. But like you said Mexico is a special case due to wrestling always being popular there.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Fair enough - I just didn't know if they used the same per household ratings system or if the 'exchange rate' on the number of viewers were different. Kinda like how a platinum record is 1 million in some countries and 500k in others or whatever.

i'd imagine they'd have a smaller sample size because of the difference in population.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Fair enough - I just didn't know if they used the same per household ratings system or if the 'exchange rate' on the number of viewers were different. Kinda like how a platinum record is 1 million in some countries and 500k in others or whatever.

i'm not sure either to be honest. but i'd assume it goes by population so an 8.2 in mexico is a shitload less viewers than an 8.2 in usa

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

And he was such a professional and reliable worker, Vince had said he "wished he had a whole locker room of Tito Santanas".

I've actually become quite a fan of Tito after digging into my stack of old 80's WWF tapes a while ago - he had tremendous fire and could always rally the crowd, and was consistently good in the ring. He had a 20-minute draw with Paul Orndorff in 1984 that still holds up as an awesome match today.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I loved the angle where Fake Undertaker battled Real Undertaker back in the cartoon era - and I know there have been a few examples of wrestlers either coming in contact with fake versions of themselves (Sting) or fake versions of others (Dean Malenko under a Cyclope mask) but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know why but it's always hilarious and entertaining to me. Anyone else remember examples of this happening in the major promotions?

I vaguely remember there being a fake Kane at some point in WWE but my WWE history knowledge during the attitude/early to mid 2000's era is not good. Was there an actual Fake Kane vs Real Kane match or was that just for the Katie Vick nonsense?

Oh, and Fake Diesel and Razor Ramon, of course.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I loved the angle where Fake Undertaker battled Real Undertaker back in the cartoon era - and I know there have been a few examples of wrestlers either coming in contact with fake versions of themselves (Sting) or fake versions of others (Dean Malenko under a Cyclope mask) but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know why but it's always hilarious and entertaining to me. Anyone else remember examples of this happening in the major promotions?

I vaguely remember there being a fake Kane at some point in WWE but my WWE history knowledge during the attitude/early to mid 2000's era is not good. Was there an actual Fake Kane vs Real Kane match or was that just for the Katie Vick nonsense?

fake kane was actually kinda recent, back in 2007 i believe, and was played by luke gallows/festus. the angle never really went anywhere, one day they had a match and kane kicked fake kane out the back of the building, and we never heard from him again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

In 2006 they brought in Luke Gallows/Festus as Impostor Kane. This would have been all right if they remembered to wet down Fake Kane's hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAOKUEHQjM

Kane eventually took his mask back and literally kicked Fake Kane out of the back door of the arena without revealing his identity. This was never further explained or elaborated on.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the Malenko as Ciclope is definitely the best, especially because it has the Jericho cruiserweight introductions.

Also it's really nuts how over some of the small undercard guys in WCW were. The crowd went loving apeshit for Malenko revealing himself. It just seems so alien in today's world: Not just an undercard guy, but a loving cruiserweight with a gimmick of "ice cold asskicker" being mega over with the crowd.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Captain Charisma posted:

I think the Malenko as Ciclope is definitely the best, especially because it has the Jericho cruiserweight introductions.

Also it's really nuts how over some of the small undercard guys in WCW were. The crowd went loving apeshit for Malenko revealing himself. It just seems so alien in today's world: Not just an undercard guy, but a loving cruiserweight with a gimmick of "ice cold asskicker" being mega over with the crowd.

It also helps how well they'd built the feud of Jericho constantly ducking/insulting Malenko and his entire family, never giving him a chance to retaliate while also giving title shots to lesser contenders. In hindsight it's one of the best booked undercard title belt feuds of the MNW era. That reveal wasn't just a pop for "Oh hey Dean Malenko!" but also for "Oh hey Dean Malenko finally gets to kick that whiny Chris Jericho's rear end!" All of this done with Malenko pretty much never having to speak, and Jericho carrying most of the mic time; which is exactly how it should have been.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

There was a match where Triple H defended his European Title against Owen, but Triple H was actually Goldust in a Triple H costume - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kO2v8UMhJU

And then there was a match between Goldust and Kane, but Goldust was actually Triple H in a Goldust costume - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4ZkiV3eQ8

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 3, 2011

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

There was also the Goldust vs. Bluedust feud.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Kane eventually took his mask back and literally kicked Fake Kane out of the back door of the arena without revealing his identity. This was never further explained or elaborated on.
It's the best ending to any angle ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHkTuDlP7l4
The whole thing was part of the promotion for See No Evil. Kane was tormented by "May 19th" which was the movie's release date and also the kayfabe date when his mom and dad were killed in a fire. Beyond the Fake Kane angle it also brought us the spectacular Big Show/Kane match, Shawn Michaels having to referee a Kane match wearing a shirt with May 19th plastered all over it and segments where Kane would hear voices that were audible to the audience, but not to other wrestlers. It's like the apex of ridiculous Kane angles.

And yeah, there was a match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26lJ14mJfec
Also, like a year later, Kane started walking around with the big hook his character used in the movie which was hilarious since there was no way he was ever gonna actually gore anybody with it.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 3, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Holy poo poo - I've never seen Hunter Dust and that is amazing. I knew that Goldust had a habit of dressing up like other people but never that one. It's kinda sad to see how unhappy Owen looks during his entrance and while they're making fun of him on the tron though.

You posted the same link twice but I think I found the Triple H as goldust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4ZkiV3eQ8

That one completely blew my mind. Other than the giant nose he did a really great Goldust entrance.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Holy poo poo - I've never seen Hunter Dust and that is amazing. I knew that Goldust had a habit of dressing up like other people but never that one. It's kinda sad to see how unhappy Owen looks during his entrance and while they're making fun of him on the tron though.

You posted the same link twice but I think I found the Triple H as goldust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4ZkiV3eQ8

That one completely blew my mind. Other than the giant nose he did a really great Goldust entrance.

Sorry about that. Yeah, that's the right link - I've fixed my post.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Undertaker disguised as Kane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMsEF7d4PkE&t=1m45s

Kane disguised as Undertaker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpVnQi2lLSY

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Man, I don't even remember that. That was awesome. Nothing they do nowadays even comes close to that kind of thing.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch

Wojtek posted:

Man, I don't even remember that. That was awesome. Nothing they do nowadays even comes close to that kind of thing.

No doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Another one for the "people dressed as Undertaker" theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjDwgDhOeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shadalator posted:

No doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

We are not going to insult your intelligence!

*Names a guy Puke, has someone pretend to gently caress a corpse, has wrestlers kiss his bare rear end, etc*

The attitude era was a very important time for wrestling but they did some incredibly embarrassing poo poo on the air, haha.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 3, 2011