Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

There's a few options with Ashoka.
1) She dies. It will happen in some tragic way that links into RotS (parhaps Dooku will do it) despite this making no sense.
2) (marginally more likely) She'll get knighted as the youngest knight ever (because she's so Awesome!), and go off to do her own thing. Obi-Wan will pat Anakin oin the shoulder and tell him he'll be a Master soon.
3) (Far more likely) She'll go off somewhere; leave the Jedi, get stranded somehwere MIA, something like that. She'll survive Order 66 and the Empire before apearing in the far-future EU to kill the third incarnation of darth Krayt at 150 years old.

I was thinking about this the other day while binging through eps of the Clone Wars and I'm thinking 2 or 3 are the most likely. "Hibernate" the character for future use if needed. She's what, 14 during the TV series, so she'd be about Han's age? (or a bit older?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Ahsoka has a great voice actress. Well so does Ventress but she has worse writing. Who doesn't like a spunky girl who is smart, probably would play video games and would kick the rear end of anyone who tried to hurt you?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Taken separately, each of those things make me think "Used to be good, probably will be terrible." Combining them leaves me with zero enthusiasm.

No one should ever be excited about a videogame before it comes out, ever.

Bioware "used to be good"? Are you for real? Yeah, man. Mass Effect 2 was a real stinker.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

T-1000 posted:

The first thing Anakin does when he turns to the dark side is hack off Mace Windu's arm and let the Emperor kill him.
The second thing Anakin does is slaughter a large group of children.

Even if you're paraphrasing inaccurately, the idea is idiotic.

Does Mace really die? Luke survived way worse in terms of Palpatine force lightning and Jedi can practically fall from space? A severed hand is just going to get replaced with a mechanical one that has an etched serial number: 84d-m07h3rfuck2 on it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bene Elim posted:

It's going to end with two character tie ups, and a lead in to either the Tartakovsky series or directly into RotS.

Ventress will die or be arrested (to explain why she isn't in RotS). Probably die. In a two-episode long duel with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, Plo Koon, Shaak Ti and probably Han Solo.

There's a few options with Ashoka.
1) She dies. It will happen in some tragic way that links into RotS (parhaps Dooku will do it) despite this making no sense.
2) (marginally more likely) She'll get knighted as the youngest knight ever (because she's so Awesome!), and go off to do her own thing. Obi-Wan will pat Anakin oin the shoulder and tell him he'll be a Master soon.
3) (Far more likely) She'll go off somewhere; leave the Jedi, get stranded somehwere MIA, something like that. She'll survive Order 66 and the Empire before apearing in the far-future EU to kill the third incarnation of darth Krayt at 150 years old.

Or 4)Digitally add her into Episode 3, since that's the way George wanted it to be he just didn't have the technology at the time.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

TheBigBad posted:

Does Mace really die? Luke survived way worse in terms of Palpatine force lightning and Jedi can practically fall from space? A severed hand is just going to get replaced with a mechanical one that has an etched serial number: 84d-m07h3rfuck2 on it.

Well, I'm sure there's an in-universe :spergin: explanation, but the real explanation is that Samuel L. Jackson told Jorge he didn't want to "go out like a punk" and that he wanted Mace to have a good death scene, which is why he gets lightning'd out a window instead of going down in order 66

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sorry buddy, I threw my hat in months ago and not a peep :(.

You and me both, brother. :(:respek::(

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That DICK! posted:

Bioware "used to be good"? Are you for real? Yeah, man. Mass Effect 2 was a real stinker.
Well, I'd ask you to explain how it compares favorably to Baldur's Gate 2, but I'm sure that we just have different ideas of what made them good or bad. Unlike some people, I don't get the whole "videogame waifu collection" urge...

TheBigBad posted:

Who doesn't like a spunky girl who is smart, probably would play video games and would kick the rear end of anyone who tried to hurt you?

...but there's clearly plenty of people who do. You guys can have your games, we can have ours, no harm done.

I stand by my claim of not getting excited, though. Life will be much the same, whether the game turns out to be the best or the worst ever made. And whether it's good or bad, it won't be any better for your having anticipated it.

(Again, comparisons to the Prequels seem obvious.)

e: also, everyone with remaining confidence in Bioware could probably stand to dunk their head in the Dragon Age 2 thread for a bit. If the feeling endures, you know that it's real!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 3, 2011

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
I like the Old Republic if for no other reason than it's an opportunity to explore a particularly intriguing point in the Star Wars timeline. At least, that's how I feel about it.

What is everyone's favorite 'time', by the way? I know that I like the KOTOR era stuff, but the stuff during the Imperial era is also interesting. I want to like the Legacy stuff, but Darth Krayt is just too stupid for me to really get into it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Height of the Empire (between IV and V) for me. I know everyone dumps on Shadows of the Empire now, and yeah looking back the novel was really bad. when I was a kid though, to me it was ~MORE STAR WARS~ and it had the stamp of officiality so it was almost as good as a new movie. It had Boba Fett being badass, Luke taking on intergalactic gangsters and Darth Vader taking out Xizor in the end in the best way.

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

Doc Hawkins posted:

I stand by my claim of not getting excited, though. Life will be much the same, whether the game turns out to be the best or the worst ever made. And whether it's good or bad, it won't be any better for your having anticipated it.

That is a really :emo: way of going through life, man. There's a difference between "Hey, this looks good" and "THIS WILL BE GREAT. PERIOD."

Also, Bioware is still pretty great. Dragon Age managed to actually make me care about a LOTR-esque setting again after so much burnout

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

Piedmon Sama posted:

Height of the Empire (between IV and V) for me. I know everyone dumps on Shadows of the Empire now, and yeah looking back the novel was really bad. when I was a kid though, to me it was ~MORE STAR WARS~ and it had the stamp of officiality so it was almost as good as a new movie. It had Boba Fett being badass, Luke taking on intergalactic gangsters and Darth Vader taking out Xizor in the end in the best way.

I am shocked that people thought it sucked.

In my sheltered 7th-grade proto-internet days, the N64 Game was legendary and the novel was gospel

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fid posted:

In my sheltered 7th-grade proto-internet days, the N64 Game was legendary and the novel was gospel

I think people only think the novel sucked in retrospect. Most of us who were in 7th-grade when we first read it loved it. If you feel like having your nostalgia shattered, though, head over to the book barn thread. Astfgl did a great write-up for it.

The game still rules though. Nothing is going to destroy my rose-colored glasses for that blocky mess of an N64 game. Nothing.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ninja_Orca posted:

What is everyone's favorite 'time', by the way? I know that I like the KOTOR era stuff, but the stuff during the Imperial era is also interesting. I want to like the Legacy stuff, but Darth Krayt is just too stupid for me to really get into it.

Empire to early New Republic. Embodies all that is awesome about the OT. I guess I would stop at the Thrawn duology, ignoring quite a few books in between, but rise of the Empire through the end of the Last Command (and a bit afterwards) is drat good stuff.

quote:

The game still rules though. Nothing is going to destroy my rose-colored glasses for that blocky mess of an N64 game. Nothing.

Gall Spaceport was hard for me to beat as a kid. All those canyons, jumping, AT-ST(s) and then at the end, Boba Fett and Slave I. :smith:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Fid posted:

If you haven't looked at it since, hie thee to Book Barn thread to explore exactly how and why it sucked.

(Thrawn's post wasn't there when I started writing this, but I'm just going to leave it here for the link.)

Ninja_Orca posted:

It's hard to separate the times from the stories and thus from the writers, but I think that probably the most promising times would be when the "Tales of the Jedi" comics were set, and then post-RotJ to the fall of Zsinj and Thrawn.

The former seems to have been slightly outdated by Old Republic stuff, but I loved having the Force seem outright mystical and magical, and hyperspace travel being hard and dangerous. It made the setting seem a lot more ancient, and so it dovetailed nicely into the Big Three times and the hard "rationality" of the scoffing Imperials.

The latter... well, after the defeat of those two admirals, there's this increasing flailing about for a new, post-Imperial threat, and by-and-large I don't think they succeeded. As the Rebellion fights against the overwhelming weight of a dissolving Empire and eventually sets up a replacement government is an endless arena for X-Wing-type stories, and I'd've loved to see more. Dealing with smaller scale arenas, like smaller warlords and other local powers, would provide easily enough material for writing.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Poopelyse posted:

Is anybody else super excited about Star Wars: The Old Republic or is just me? BioWare + Star Wars + MMO seems like a pretty freakin' sweet combination to me. Anybody on here get picked for beta testing?

Word on the street is everyone should chill a little on SW:TOR.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

thrawn527 posted:

I think people only think the novel sucked in retrospect. Most of us who were in 7th-grade when we first read it loved it. If you feel like having your nostalgia shattered, though, head over to the book barn thread. Astfgl did a great write-up for it.

I am taking you up on this, and already glad I did. I didn't know SotE had a soundtrack, and of course it's on YouTube and it's pretty cool. Thanks!

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

ZeeToo posted:

Dealing with smaller scale arenas, like smaller warlords and other local powers, would provide easily enough material for writing.

It seems Del Rey has taken Lucas' mantra of "Faster, more intense" as publishing gospel. I have to wonder if there have been hundreds of proposed projects along the lines you suggested that have been declined in favor of the tripe they have been excreting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fid posted:

That is a really :emo: way of going through life, man. There's a difference between "Hey, this looks good" and "THIS WILL BE GREAT. PERIOD."

There's also a difference between "opinions of video games" and "going through life."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My friend made a revelation: PT R2 is the Mach Five of droids.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I've been following TOR from the start. Back then I was excited to play, and I ashamedly knew it was going to be awesome.

Now I'm not so sure. Yeah, it's done by Bioware, a company that genuinely seems to care about the quality of what it puts out (I've not played anything recent of theirs, so I can't comment on quality, but they seem to put the effort in), they've got pretty much free reign with a new(ish) time period and all the EA money they could want, but I worry that there's going to be too much pointless crap, too much referencing of the worst parts of KotOR (:argh: Carth!) and too much effort to cram everything that a SW fan could possibly want into it (thus leaving stuff spread thin).

I'm still going to play it (and break my no MMOs rule), but I'm not expecting it to light the world on fire, or hook me in like TSL or X-wing did.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?

Bene Elim posted:

It's going to end with two character tie ups, and a lead in to either the Tartakovsky series or directly into RotS.

Ventress will die or be arrested (to explain why she isn't in RotS). Probably die. In a two-episode long duel with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, Plo Koon, Shaak Ti and probably Han Solo.

Ventress was sent to a prison planet for a shitload of time, escaped, and shows up in the legacy series, where all of this was explained.

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's also a difference between "opinions of video games" and "going through life."

The way you were talking, I thought it sounded like it was coming from some greater philosophy, my mistake

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Azzmo posted:

It seems Del Rey has taken Lucas' mantra of "Faster, more intense" as publishing gospel. I have to wonder if there have been hundreds of proposed projects along the lines you suggested that have been declined in favor of the tripe they have been excreting.

Well, it's not like it's never been tried, though I haven't kept up with the Del Rey stuff (basically stopped following new stuff after NJO), but before that, we've got the Han Solo trilogies (both of them), Lando Calrissian's trilogy, the Bounty Hunter Wars, X-Wing, and various short stories, off the top of my head.

It's entirely possible that the Bounty Hunter Wars, etc, just dragged the average down and stuff that featured Han/Luke/Leia centrally against ever-bigger threats ended up giving a better sales return.

Still disappointing to me.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
The Angry Video Game Nerd did a new review on Star Wars games:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/710076

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

movax posted:

Gall Spaceport was hard for me to beat as a kid. All those canyons, jumping, AT-ST(s) and then at the end, Boba Fett and Slave I. :smith:

I loving loved Gall Spaceport and fighting on foot in Echo Base. Played them hundreds of times as kid. The Imperial Freighter was a favourite of mine too.

The Sewers and Xizors Palace though, gently caress those levels hard.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bene Elim posted:

too much referencing of the worst parts of KotOR (:argh: Carth!)

It's 300 years after KOTOR1 so if it helps most of these people are dead.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's 300 years after KOTOR1 so if it helps most of these people are dead.

HK-47 might pop up. I hope so. At least in this Star Wars MMO it makes sense.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

SeanBeansShako posted:

HK-47 might pop up. I hope so. At least in this Star Wars MMO it makes sense.

This would be acceptable, and highly probable. I mean heck, he popped up in Galaxies of all things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ninja_Orca posted:

This would be acceptable, and highly probable. I mean heck, he popped up in Galaxies of all things.

God that was retarded:

YEAH HI, I'M JUST BEEN CHILLING ON THIS LAVA PLANET FROM EPISODE III FOR 4000 YEARS FIGHT MY DROID ARMY.

I have a feeling Bioware will adress the whole 'hey what happened to the KOTOR RPG storyline' as one of the games main storylines.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I loving loved Gall Spaceport and fighting on foot in Echo Base. Played them hundreds of times as kid. The Imperial Freighter was a favourite of mine too.

The Sewers and Xizors Palace though, gently caress those levels hard.
Truth.

I found the train level stupendously hard because I could never time the jumps right. I still have fond memories of it though. I wish they'd do a remake of the entire game using the Uncharted 2 engine, that game had the longest train level in history and it was amazing.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

SeanBeansShako posted:

I have a feeling Bioware will adress the whole 'hey what happened to the KOTOR RPG storyline' as one of the games main storylines.

Expect them to poo poo all over the best parts of KOTOR II in a move that will surprise no one and anger everyone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ninja_Orca posted:

Expect them to poo poo all over the best parts of KOTOR II in a move that will surprise no one and anger everyone.

Hey, if we're not used to people ignoring or changing parts of the general story for petty or stupid reasons we wouldn't be long suffering Star Wars fans now.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Have you guys seen the shirt up on shirt.woot today? It's basically the best shirt ever.
http://shirt.woot.com/

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff
I got the impression that the main storyline was going to be a continuation of the KOTOR setups, or at least the first one. There's that bad-rear end CG trailer that looks like Malak and Revan attacking the Jedi Temple

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Poopelyse posted:

Have you guys seen the shirt up on shirt.woot today? It's basically the best shirt ever.

Actually this was the best Star Wars shirt that shirt.woot put up.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

That one is pretty good too though.

Pops Mgee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 4, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Poopelyse posted:

Since we're talking about shirts now.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Ninja_Orca posted:

Sounds about right. From what I've read, BW is basically pretending Kotor II never happened.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pops Mgee posted:

Actually this was the best Star Wars shirt that shirt.woot put up.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

That one is pretty good too though.

They have also had...

Haha I love shirt.woot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penrose Stares
Jan 3, 2011

by Ozma

Poopelyse posted:

Oh man is that sweet. And for only :10bux:, how can you possibly go wrong?