Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

China, obv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Welp, time to hire some Chinese animators

where do I go do that?

Annandale.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

HiddenReplaced posted:

CLS = Columbia

The rule is the most prestigious institution gets the acronym.

Fair enough, I'm just used to being inundated with CLS = Cornell Law School, so I forget that others use that too.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Lilosh posted:

Based on the the fact that you're mentioning three grades and not four, I assume CLS is Columbia and not Cornell?

Yeah, Columbia.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

entris posted:

edit: How many of you advising him to stay are married, or have kids to support, and live in a high cost area like DC?

If wife and kids and college and adult things are boxes that have to be checked in order to consider yourself 'successful' then take the job that will maximize your ability to check those boxes.

If you love your wife and want her to be happy and you want to spend time with her...
If you love your kids and like being with them and want to be there for them and want to raise them yourself instead of foisting them off on a nanny or daycare...
If adult things are neat, but you realize that family is more important and understand that you can't buy a happy family with things...

Then stay.

Happily married, 20+ years
with smart, interesting, well adjusted kids, one in and one getting ready to start (state) college.
moved from the DC area in part because of the high cost of living, but did well enough on a Captain's pay. Currently making about half what Baruch Obamawitz makes, which should more tham make up for the difference in cost of living.

Did I give up a lot of opportunities by leaving DC? Yes.
Was it worth it? Sometimes I wonder, but most of the time the answer is yes.

I'd stay.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking a position, I just figured that most people chiming in on the "stay" side were young people to whom Baruch's job is a chocolate cake orgasm.

I'm glad you chimed in, I think more of the older goons need to pipe up.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing that's keeping me here (other than the fact I just signed a year extension on my apartment) is rugby right now.

I might move back to Miami, though, and live like a loving king.

Instead of one maid, I'll get TWO maids.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Instead of one maid, I'll get TWO maids.

Oh, your wife will just love that.

entris fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 4, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tetrix posted:

this thread is literally becoming that blog post from a couple months ago.
Or the "scraping by on $250k a year" thread.

Am I am totally guilty of this at times.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm by no means scraping by, it's just that I want more stupid poo poo in my life because the stupid poo poo I have isn't enough and I'm a great big dumb baby.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm by no means scraping by, it's just that I want more stupid poo poo in my life because the stupid poo poo I have isn't enough and I'm a great big dumb baby.

There has got to be a DC Warhammer 40k league. Buy some premade armies and go beat up on poor nerds.

Edit: Ha, today's Gallup Poll. http://www.gallup.com/poll/145928/A...USA+-+Wellbeing

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 3, 2011

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

entris posted:

Solomon Grundy will probably support switching jobs, if I remember correctly he had some choice words to say about raising a family and how much it really costs.

Yes, $140k a year is not as much as everyone thinks once you start having kids and get into your forties. Go ahead everyone and shout at me again about feeling entitled and out of step with the world. Then let some time pass, have a few kids - you'll see.

But in this case, federal benefits are pretty awesome and have to be factored into the equation. A lot of my stress is figuring out how I can both save for retirement and save for my kids' education at the same time. If I had a pension instead of having to decide to take money out of my pocket to put it into a 401k every year when I have so much other debt and expenses, I wouldn't be so freaked out. Further, the health care benefits are a big deal once you start having kids. Around 10% of my after-tax income goes to health insurance premiums and co-pays for family healthcare, and for a lot of people in the private sector, it is much more than that.

I am not a numbers guy, but I bet if you added the federal pension benefit to the base $140k salary, plus the health benefits, and compare it to the amount you would need to earn to replace those benefits, it would be a wash. When you have the added benefit of being location independent, working from home and having enough time for a side business, leaving is probably a bad idea unless the private sector is offering truly life-changing money.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah but if I knew what to do for a side business, I'd be the entrepreneurial type who'd be hanging up a shingle after law school in the first place, heh.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I'd feel a lot better about my finances if I hadn't been an idiot and bought a condo with zero down.

That little mistake will probably cost me about 60k or so. Sickening when I ever sit and think about it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Solomon Grundy posted:

Around 10% of my after-tax income goes to health insurance premiums and co-pays for family healthcare, and for a lot of people in the private sector, it is much more than that.
Very important. And odds are that the federal health plan is simply better than the one you'll pay $$$$ for in the private sector.
My father is a reasonably successful attorney (was managing partner of a larger firm) and despite this we always went with mom's public sector health, dental, and vision. Cheaper, easier, and 10x better.
And don't forget about the value of time. In that time you can do something on the side as others have mentioned, or do all that poo poo you have to pay for when you don't have time like taking care of kids, cleaning and fixing poo poo, and so on.

You should open a [magic 8-ball] games shop that specialized in Warhammer.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

- white people

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Petey posted:

- white people
I NEED a Ferrari

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yeah but if I knew what to do for a side business, I'd be the entrepreneurial type who'd be hanging up a shingle after law school in the first place, heh.

If you're not an entrepreneur, what are you doing trying to aim for ~equity partner~?

(rainmaking and entrepreneurship overlaps like 98% +- 2%)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

gvibes posted:

I'd feel a lot better about my finances if I hadn't been an idiot and bought a condo with zero down.

That little mistake will probably cost me about 60k or so. Sickening when I ever sit and think about it.

Strategic default?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Roger_Mudd posted:

Strategic default?
1) recourse state
2) I'm told attorney disciplinary committees are not fond of this sort of thing (asinine, I think)
3) Most importantly, I've paid the mortgage down enough that I have some equity

gvibes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

if anyone's curious i'm still psyched about earning $41,000 a year

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

gvibes posted:

2) I'm told attorney disciplinary committees are not fond of this sort of thing (asinine, I think)

No way, seriously? It seems like strategic default on a securitized asset is a basic debtor right

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

if anyone's curious i'm still psyched about earning $41,000 a year
I'm curious about the lasers, but that might be a personal issue

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They're not as cool as they sound

I do get to mark poo poo up with a red pen though. Sometimes I pretend it's a laser

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

As a lawyer or law school student, do you have any favorite scenes of litigation/court proceedings/ect. in any movies or TV shows? Any that are particularly realistic/funny/inaccurate? Any favorite lawyer characters?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I can tell you that I hate legally blonde the most of everything.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I'm tired of school.

I hear My Cousin Vinny is liked by law students. I can't attest either way.

Con Law is dumb.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Green Crayons posted:

I'm tired of school.

Con Law is dumb.

My Cousin Vinny was good. Al Pacino is hilarious.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Green Crayons posted:

I'm tired of school.

Con Law is dumb.

My fed courts guy has used that movie twice to illustrate points. I'm trying to figure out a way to work in "the two yutes" during a response to see if he picks up on it.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNgONH2ncI

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 4, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

GenoCanSing posted:

As a lawyer or law school student, do you have any favorite scenes of litigation/court proceedings/ect. in any movies or TV shows? Any that are particularly realistic/funny/inaccurate? Any favorite lawyer characters?

Not a "movie or TV show" but a classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxmrvbMeKc

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GenoCanSing posted:

there is only one answer

Abugadu posted:

The two most accurate characters I've seen are Lionel Hutz and Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

I rest my case

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 4, 2011

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
The two most accurate characters I've seen are Lionel Hutz and Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

edit: aw goddamn it

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

GenoCanSing posted:

I have been actively avoiding anything related to law since about Day #2 of law school -- movies, books, tv shows, law school classes. Nothing law unless it generates a paycheck.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GenoCanSing posted:

Franz Kafka posted:

Before the law sits a gatekeeper. To this gatekeeper comes a man from the country who asks to gain entry into the law. But the gatekeeper says that he cannot grant him entry at the moment. The man thinks about it and then asks if he will be allowed to come in sometime later on. “It is possible,” says the gatekeeper, “but not now.” The gate to the law stands open, as always, and the gatekeeper walks to the side, so the man bends over in order to see through the gate into the inside. When the gatekeeper notices that, he laughs and says: “If it tempts you so much, try going inside in spite of my prohibition. But take note. I am powerful. And I am only the most lowly gatekeeper. But from room to room stand gatekeepers, each more powerful than the other. I cannot endure even one glimpse of the third.” The man from the country has not expected such difficulties: the law should always be accessible for everyone, he thinks, but as he now looks more closely at the gatekeeper in his fur coat, at his large pointed nose and his long, thin, black Tartar’s beard, he decides that it would be better to wait until he gets permission to go inside. The gatekeeper gives him a stool and allows him to sit down at the side in front of the gate. There he sits for days and years. He makes many attempts to be let in, and he wears the gatekeeper out with his requests. The gatekeeper often interrogates him briefly, questioning him about his homeland and many other things, but they are indifferent questions, the kind great men put, and at the end he always tells him once more that he cannot let him inside yet. The man, who has equipped himself with many things for his journey, spends everything, no matter how valuable, to win over the gatekeeper. The latter takes it all but, as he does so, says, “I am taking this only so that you do not think you have failed to do anything.” During the many years the man observes the gatekeeper almost continuously. He forgets the other gatekeepers, and this first one seems to him the only obstacle for entry into the law. He curses the unlucky circumstance, in the first years thoughtlessly and out loud; later, as he grows old, he only mumbles to himself. He becomes childish and, since in the long years studying the gatekeeper he has also come to know the fleas in his fur collar, he even asks the fleas to help him persuade the gatekeeper. Finally his eyesight grows weak, and he does not know whether things are really darker around him or whether his eyes are merely deceiving him. But he recognizes now in the darkness an illumination which breaks inextinguishably out of the gateway to the law. Now he no longer has much time to live. Before his death he gathers in his head all his experiences of the entire time up into one question which he has not yet put to the gatekeeper. He waves to him, since he can no longer lift up his stiffening body. The gatekeeper has to bend way down to him, for the great difference has changed things considerably to the disadvantage of the man. “What do you still want to know now?” asks the gatekeeper. “You are insatiable.” “Everyone strives after the law,” says the man, “so how is that in these many years no one except me has requested entry?” The gatekeeper sees that the man is already dying and, in order to reach his diminishing sense of hearing, he shouts at him, “Here no one else can gain entry, since this entrance was assigned only to you. I’m going now to close it.”

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

I'll see yours, and raise you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u9JAt6gFqM

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ersatz posted:

Came here to post this.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
the only correct answers are bob loblaw or saul goodman

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Ersatz posted:

all lawyers are nasty shylock jews

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

edit: How many of you advising him to stay are married, or have kids to support, and live in a high cost area like DC?

I am married, have 2 kids, and live in Chicago. I would not do what he is considering doing. I would also murder a homeless man to have the setup he has now.

This is part of the entire problem with dialogue in this country as a whole. There are people who actually think it would be difficult to raise a family on what Barauch is currently making.

That is utterly loving ridiculous.

My wife and I have a combined income from all sources of about 95k and I can afford: a car payment, insurance on two cars, $1500/mo rent (I could pay higher, that's just what ours is right now), a sizeable contribution to my 401k, a large chunk into savings for a down payment on a house, and have plenty of money left for incidental expenses. We have all new furniture, and I upgrade electronics whenever I feel like it. Until last year, I was sending our kids to private school, too.

This is why we have people who make 250k/year claiming they are not rich. They are loving rich. If they'd bought more reasonable house/car/etc they wouldn't be struggling to make ends meet every month. Similarly, while I'll help my kids with incidental expenses while they are in college, I'm not going to straight up pay for it. They need to learn what it means to have responsibility for paying back something that was loaned to them so that they could improve their chances in life. Little Madison and Tucker having their goddamned college entirely paid for is not "middle class", it's rich.

I see no problem with topping out income at 29 if the top is what Barauch is saying it is. As a government worker he'll get regular COLA increases and what they are paying is plenty to have a comfortable life.

Christ, before I went to law school I was supporting my family on 40k a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Any kid is going to have a much much easier life without student loans than with (see: this thread). There's not really any learning that goes on from getting them.