Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

TrixRabbi posted:

#38 Spirited Away - I remember when this first came out. I saw part of it but never watched the whole thing beyond the first half hour or so. Even today I barely remember what I did see.

Watch this, the art direction is to die for and is just beautiful in a quintessentially Japanese way, and I don't even like most anime.

Really enjoyed Blue Valentine, it takes skill to be able to pull a dual narrative story like that off. Liked Ryan Gosling's performance but found the Wife character a bit cold and annoying. Liked the contrast between both stories being shot on different formats as well. 4/5

My list:

Sympathy for Mr.Vengance- Just saw Oldboy and thought it was brilliant. Really want to see more of Chan Wook-Park's films.

Raging Bull- Love Taxi Driver and been meaning to check this out for a while.

The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari- Love German Expressionism and actually wrote about how Caligari has influenced so many films since it. Completely ashamed that I haven't seen this.

A Scanner Darkly- Haven't read the novel but Blade Runner, another Philip K Dick adaptation, is one of my favourite films. Really like the look of the animation too.

Vertigo- Despite being a film student, I have never seen a Hitchcock film. I am completely ashamed of this and I've heard this film is one of his best.

Seven Samurai- Despite seeing most other Kurosawa films, I still haven't seen this yet. It's probably the length that's putting me off.

Salo: or the 120 days of Sodom- Have had this sitting on my hard drive for months now. I know it sounds pathetic but I'm kind of scared to watch this, despite priding myself in being one of those people never scared by films.

Army of Darkness- Actually have never seen any of the Evil Dead films, despite being a goon. Not really a huge fan of OTT action/horror movies but might be able to give it a go.

Eraserhead- Always been a film that's interested me. Haven't actually seen many David Lynch films.

Waltz with Bashir- Actually saw about 20 minutes of this not long after it came out, but got distracted by something and didn't see the rest. Looks like it might be worth a second shot

Watched: Blue Valentine (4/5)

Double Happiness fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Double Happiness posted:

Vertigo- Despite being a film student, I have never seen a Hitchcock film. I am completely ashamed of this and I've heard this film is one of his best.
This is absolutely inexcusable and must be rectified immediately.

The Sorrow and The Pity is a great and very interesting film. There were a few places where I felt the film expected more background knowledge than I have but for the most part it was a very nicely paced overview of France during WWII through an intertwined series of narratives. Definitely should not have waited so long to watch it as despite the 4 hour runtime it doesn't fel daunting at all while watching it.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Ballad of Narayama Imamura, another director I've seen shamefully little from.

Flesh and the Devil I need some more Garbo in my life.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Baby Face I was really eager to see this a few years ago when the uncensored print was discovered, but I never got around to it.

Tampopo I don't actually know anything about this.

Brighton Rock Supposedly a great gangster film.

The Human Condition I I've been putting this off because of its length but it's about time I get around to it, and its two sequels.

The Marriage of Maria Braun Haven't seen any of the BRD trilogy despite having the DVDs for like 5 years, I think it's time.

Grey Gardens Documentaries are certainly my weak spot and this one seems intriguing.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Docks of New York was beautiful and understated as hell. The camerawork, my goodness. Like a tawdrier Murnau. A real fine use of the z-axis, with tons of great crowd shots and shots in front of windows, and I bet Sternberg was one of the first to realize the dynamism of dolly shots with pillars in front of the subjects. The story is so intimate and small that it almost feels constructed like Ozu.

PA, I'm sure you'll enjoy The Human Condition.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

The Americanization of Emily I really gotta get to this.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

New one: I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang I even own this, in the same boxset as The Americanization of Emily. I'm a jackass.

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself With Tea So this is like if Marty McFly was a nazi, right?

The Fallen Idol What the hell is this thing about?

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Funeral Parade of Roses Another one I saw half of and fell asleep (in my defense, it was 3 am). What I saw, I loved, but I never gave it another shot.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10)

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

penismightier posted:

The Fallen Idol What the hell is this thing about?

I guess you'll find out soon. Carol Reed pulls off quite a few stunning shots but you're mileage is going to depend on how much you like child actors. I've seen it three times and found the kid more charming each time so best of luck to ya.

The Sting picked by TrixRabbi (8/10), : I was thinking of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid an awful lot in the beginning of the film but I had no idea that the same director, George Roy Hill, was involved. Thank God this was better than Sundance (which requires such a specific focus on genre, time, and context that folks tends to forget how drat boring it is). It has a similar level of artifice but doesn't play it for the same level of winks and attempted giggles. There's a palpable sense of danger when plans don't go as intended and a lot of that has to do with Robert Shaw's great performance as Lonnegan. Redford isn't always to my tastes but he does a very fine job and Newman serves as a much more interesting partner/foil to him this go around. The only issue is seeing a few of the cons in the making well before the payoff, but it didn't distract from the film too much. Pretty top notch entertainment here.

List part 3

1. Chungking Express: I loved the subtle romantic shifts of In The Mood For Love and have been wanting to watch more Chinese films, I just haven't gotten around to this one.
2. Andrei Rublev: Tarkovsky is a director that I need more exposure to. Loved his Solaris and I like more spiritually infused movies. Plus they're almost all available online legally from that awesome website for free, so I've been lazy more than anything else.
3. No End: I'm a bit ashamed that I've never watched any of Kieslowski's pre-Decalogue work save a few of his documentaries and I've needed to fix this for some time.
4. Weekend: I've seen six Goddard films at this point and he's nicely divided between hit (Breathless, Pierrot le Fou) and intriguing miss (Two or Three Things I Know About Her, Alphaville). Apparently this one is more "accessible" so I've been curious but never fully pushed over the edge.
5. Straw Dogs: Never seen any Peckinpah and this one divides folks more than The Wild Bunch.
6. Time of the Gypsies: I absolutely loved When Father Was Away On Business and Do You Remember, Dolly Bell? and I've been sitting on a copy of this for way too long.
7. Safe: Very nearly hated Velvet Underground but loved the Sirk fueled Far From Heaven. I've heard great things about Safe but I've been weary.
8. The New World: Love Days of Heaven, loved Badlands, loved The Thin Red Line, think that Tree of Life looks transcendent - but I've never watched the Pocahontas film.
9. Das Boot: I'm lukewarm to friendly with most of Wolfgang Petersen's work (except for Troy, bleh) and this is the film I've heard is actually great instead of "Get off my plane" great but the track record scares me.
10. Modern Times: I'm a Keaton man, and I've tried to love Chaplin but I still seem to be at a distance from him. I've been told this is great, but I've been a bit hesitant to try.

Watched because of this thread: The Graduate, The Sting.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Picking for you again, Punch Drunk Drewsky, this time you get Straw Dogs.

Of the handful of Miyzaki films I've seen, Spirited Away is easily the best so far (Still need to see Totoro among others). I really got into it and I actually remembered quite a bit from what I saw, despite it being 8 years since I last started it. 8/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

#34 A Fish Called Wanda - Probably the biggest post-Python project from any of the troupe that I've yet to see.

#36 The Elephant Man - More Lynch, why not?

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

#41 The Man Who Wasn't There - I do love the Coens. This has been on my to watch list for a very long time.

#42 The Big Sleep - I'm really not that well versed in classic noir.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
TrixRabbi, The Big Sleep is one of my favorite movies. Hope you enjoy it.

Anita Ekberg is sexy in La Dolce Vita. I need more time for it to sink in before I can say anything else about it. 4/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
The Red Shoes:
Continuing my P&P marathon, and I've heard nothing but good things about this one.
Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?
Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
Camera Buff:
I'm going to try to keep of with the Filmspotting Kieslowski marathon.
The Wages of Fear
Was never on my radar, but it sounds like I'll like it.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
The Battleship Potemkin
Always been curious about this.
Opening Night
More Cassavetes.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

Original Uncut seems to be the consensus favorite. Even if you can't find that version specifically, watch the movie anyway. Very good, and to be quite honest, the only one from your list I've seen.

Jeremiah Johnson- Seems like I would like this movie, I kind of like movies about lone-badass types.
2001: A Space Odyssey- I like Kubrick (particularly The Shining and Full Metal Jacket)
Red Cliff- Movie with big battle scenes? Sounds cool enough. People who have seen it seem to like it quite a bit also.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- Westerns are cool
Touching the Void- Highly rated on Netflix instant, sounds cool
Endless Summer- ditto
Lawrence of Arabia- IMDB favorite that I haven't seen yet.

That's all I can think of for now, will add more next time around.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

SKEET SKEET posted:

Touching the Void- Highly rated on Netflix instant, sounds cool

This is an amazing film, highly reccomending you watch this.

Vertigo was pretty good, pretty much what I was expecting from my first Hitchcock movie, but I dunno. I may of been spoiled by watching more recent thrillers that have been inspired by films such as Vertigo. I can see why it was good for it's time though. 3.5/5. Loving this thread by the way.

My list:

Sympathy for Mr.Vengance- Just saw Oldboy and thought it was brilliant. Really want to see more of Chan Wook-Park's films.

Raging Bull- Love Taxi Driver and been meaning to check this out for a while.

The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari- Love German Expressionism and actually wrote about how Caligari has influenced so many films since it. Completely ashamed that I haven't seen this.

A Scanner Darkly- Haven't read the novel but Blade Runner, another Philip K Dick adaptation, is one of my favourite films. Really like the look of the animation too.

400 Blows- Read and written about Truffaut's influence regardging the auteur theory, interested to see how good he is as a filmmaker. (edit:\/ I'm an idiot)

Seven Samurai- Despite seeing most other Kurosawa films, I still haven't seen this yet. It's probably the length that's putting me off.

Salo, or the 120 days of Sodom- Have had this sitting on my hard drive for months now. I know it sounds pathetic but I'm kind of scared to watch this, despite priding myself in being one of those people never scared by films.

Army of Darkness- Actually have never seen any of the Evil Dead films, despite being a goon. Not really a huge fan of OTT action/horror movies but might be able to give it a go.

Eraserhead- Always been a film that's interested me. Haven't actually seen many David Lynch films.

Waltz with Bashir- Actually saw about 20 minutes of this not long after it came out, but got distracted by something and didn't see the rest. Looks like it might be worth a second shot

Watched: Blue Valentine (4/5) Vertigo (3.5/5)

Double Happiness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 1, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Double Happiness posted:

300 Blows- Read and written about Truffaut's influence regardging the auteur theory, interested to see how good he is as a filmmaker.

This must be the censored version. 400 blows is obscene, but 300 is okay.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I prefer his early short film, 100 Blows, it's much more pure.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I liked the change of location to Xavier's Academy for Gifted Mutants in Blows: 2029

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Maybe 300 Blows is a documentary about Zack Snyder.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh SNAP

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wow, I really wasn't ready for The Fallen Idol to be this good. The first scene with Julie in the cafe is so heartbreaking I could hardly take it. I always like movies from a kid's POV (ET and Invaders from Mars), and this is right up there with the best of them. The low angles, the harsh shadows, and all the paranoid hushed talk of "secrets" added up to a situation beyond our Phile's control. The lead kid was terrific, I can't believe people don't like his performance. A wonderful film. I'm sure I'm gonna watch this over and over. Also, totally hilarious at times. The hooker's inability to phrase a sentence without a come-on, and the maids looking for blood both made me laugh my rear end off.

Double Happiness, try The Seven Samurai. I promise it doesn't feel as long as it is.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

The Americanization of Emily I really gotta get to this.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang I even own this, in the same boxset as The Americanization of Emily. I'm a jackass.

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself With Tea So this is like if Marty McFly was a nazi, right?

New one: Fires on the Plain I keep thinking I've seen this, but in reality I have not.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Funeral Parade of Roses Another one I saw half of and fell asleep (in my defense, it was 3 am). What I saw, I loved, but I never gave it another shot.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier now it's your turn to get a critical Japanese film about WWII morality. Go watch Fires on the Plain.

I was led to believe there'd be beards and slapping, so I was highly disappointed by the first part of The Human Condition, Really though, this is an amazing film. I could pick at a few things in the pacing but overall the scope of the film is appropriate for what it's trying to do and it manages to be incredibly engaging all the way through. Not only is the story really well done, the infusion of social critique and humanistic philosophy is perfectly interwoven into the film, giving every scene several layers upon which to perceive it. It definitely gave me a lot to think about, much more than I could eloquently explain having just finished it. Thanks to all this wonderful snow I'll get around to at least the second part tomorrow, maybe the third too if I feel up to it. And maybe then I'll finally see the beards and slapping I was promised.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Baby Face I was really eager to see this a few years ago when the uncensored print was discovered, but I never got around to it.

The Marriage of Maria Braun Haven't seen any of the BRD trilogy despite having the DVDs for like 5 years, I think it's time.

Grey Gardens Documentaries are certainly my weak spot and this one seems intriguing.

Russian Ark This is the one that's a single shot, right? I want to see it mainly for that.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 The Human Condition I 9.5/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Thanks to all this wonderful snow I'll get around to at least the second part tomorrow, maybe the third too if I feel up to it. And maybe then I'll finally see the beards and slapping I was promised.

After tomorrow, you'll be quite full of slapping.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The best part of the slapping is how there's not really any sound effects over it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Russian Ark This is the one that's a single shot, right? I want to see it mainly for that.

That's as good a reason as any. If you don't know anything about Russian history it might be fairly confusing, but it's still pretty looking.

Rashomon was, well, brilliant. I'm once again faced with being excited about a movie that everyone's already seen, so I won't go too far into details, but I'll point out a couple things. First, if anybody knows, is this the first instance of a shot featuring sunlight shining through a forest canopy? Second, the cinematography is so masterful in this film; the sense of depth and perspective is so free and wild that it gives the picture some real weight. Thirdly, Takashi Shimura was my favorite actor in this; when he says he can't understand his own soul, I loving believe it.

1. Gaslight: I might as well start charging through some classic noir.

2. Cries and Whispers: I want to keep watching Bergman.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. Earth: I'm really curious to see what Dovzhenko was all about. I saw a really interesting documentary about him and feel obligated to check him out.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The French Connection: I hear there be action in this here picture. I'm a man who fancies action.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Kull, give Stroszek a watch. It's great.

Das Boot was incredible. I saw the original uncut 5 hour version. Amazingly, I hardly even noticed the time go by. It was almost nonstop intensity. 4.5/5

I also watched Camera Buff. It was a good portrayal of a man losing himself in a new hobby, and Jerzy Stuhr gave an excellent performance. Some of the character's reactions to his films seemed a bit off, especially from his wife. She seemed to be upset with him as soon as he got the camera, far before he started obsessing over it. 4.5/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
The Red Shoes
Continuing my P&P marathon, and I've heard nothing but good things about this one.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
The Wages of Fear
Was never on my radar, but it sounds like I'll like it.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
The Battleship Potemkin
Always been curious about this.
Opening Night
More Cassavetes.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
The Rules of the Game
High on a lot of lists, but it sounds really boring.
Persona
This has that shot that Woody Allen uses in Love and Death, right?

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Rashomon was, well, brilliant. I'm once again faced with being excited about a movie that everyone's already seen, so I won't go too far into details, but I'll point out a couple things. First, if anybody knows, is this the first instance of a shot featuring sunlight shining through a forest canopy?

The story goes that this is supposed to be one of the first times anybody shot directly at the sun. They were afraid that it might melt the film, but of course it didn't.

What I love about the movie is that the forest is almost another character, the shots near the beginning of the walk through the woods sets the mood so well.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TenSpadesBeTrump, The Red Shoes is your next task.

Russian Ark was not perfect but it was certainly something very unique and worth watching. I was expecting a period drama with a gimmick, but this is so much more, a slightly hallucinatory nonlinear trip through Russian history in the context of a palace in St. Petersburg. The first person single shot filming style adds a lot to the film, as it gives it temporal continuity that is very important in keeping the audience focused given the style of the film. I know enough about Russian history that I was never really lost and knew the big things that were referred to, but not enough to fully appreciate the way it all fits together or to draw conclusions without the two main characters pointing stuff out. I did get a little distracted at times but I'm really happy I watched this.

I also watched The Human Condition II and it certainly fulfilled its quota of slapping and then some. It's just as good as the first one, though with a slightly different setting and tone. The first half reminded me a bit of Full Metal Jacket, and overall the film does a great job of transferring the themes from the first to the war setting very seamlessly. I also think I've reached the point where I think Kanji's characters is one of the best to grace the screen in any film. Looking forward to the third chapter either tomorrow or Friday.

Updated list:

Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam Another silent I need to watch.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The first half reminded me a bit of Full Metal Jacket

Just a bit? Kubrick must've loved this movie.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Just a bit? Kubrick must've loved this movie.

Well, it's been like a decade since I've seen Full Metal Jacket so it's hard to tell how much was I was remembering and how much was just in my head.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Brighton Rock because anytime I can recommend a movie with a character named Pinkie Brown, you gotta do it

Dawn of the Dead was not what i was expecting, but in a good way. I knew there was some social commentary, but i wasn't expecting a story about the dangers of greed and consumerism. At times it seemed like the zombies were secondary to the story. A great movie, I really liked it.

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
2) Chinatown- finishing up my important films of the 70s list
3) The Thing- yet another sci-fi classic I should have seen by now
4) Pierrot Le Fou_ more Godard for me
5) The Dirty Dozen- there's nothing about this movie that doesn't sound great
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- the last major Newman film I have to see
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

zandert33 posted:

The story goes that this is supposed to be one of the first times anybody shot directly at the sun. They were afraid that it might melt the film, but of course it didn't.

I get that film is expensive, but it's so funny to me that it took 50 some-odd years for someone to finally say "gently caress it" and shoot the sun.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Mistletoe Donkey, watch The Dirty Dozen. Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin are awesome. Enjoy :)

So I can knock both 2001: A Space Odyssey and Touching the Void off my list, as I had a chance to watch both of them this week. I think I have come to realize that while they are obviously very well made movies with an insane amount of detail and thought put into them, I just won't be able to like all of Kubrick's movies (A Clockwork Orange was another one I didn't care for). As much as I loved FMJ and The Shining, among others, he made some crazy rear end movies and some of them are bound to not be among my favorites.

As for Touching the Void, what a ridiculously improbable story of survival. I mean honestly, this guy had himself one hell of a week and a half. Very well done movie also, the way the inter-weaved the drama and the documentary was well executed without being too overly dramtic. I really, really enjoyed this story.

Jeremiah Johnson- Seems like I would like this movie, I kind of like movies about lone-badass types.
Mean Streets- Love these kinds of movies, and Scorsese is awesome.
Red Cliff- Movie with big battle scenes? Sounds cool enough. People who have seen it seem to like it quite a bit also.
Dial M For Murder- I like Hitchcock, havent' seen this one. Bonus that it is on Netflix Instant right now.
Endless Summer- sounds cool? netflix instant also
Insomnia- Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Christopher Nolan...? I have no idea really if this one is any good or not.
Dog Day Afternoon A classic, I guess?
The Sting- Another classic that I have passed by.

Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Touching the Void

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

SKEET SKEET posted:

Insomnia- Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Christopher Nolan...? I have no idea really if this one is any good or not.

I'll give you the option of seeing this version or the Icelandic original. The Nolan is good, but I don't really know anything about the other.

So...Ran. Kurosawa is indeed a genius, there is no doubting this, but this one didn't grab hold of me quite like Seven Samurai did. The color was beautiful, the shot composition still spot-on, and that giant battle scene halfway in was really good, but the pacing was placid in places where I didn't really want it to be. And I'm a guy who loves placid. Also, I was sick and on hydrocodone, so I don't really remember the ending. Maybe I'll try it again sometime?

I'm going to go a different direction with this list now, I think. I know I'll be watching more Kurosawa on my own time thanks to this thread's introduction, and likely more abstractumentaries too just because I love them so very much. But I'm feeling a refreshing look at my list is in order...

++LIST OF SHAME++

Hausu
- Me and cult Japanese cinema, I just don't know.
The Descent - Every online taste aggregator I've been subjected to says I'll like this. They might be right.
Toy Story 3 - Kind of cheating, sure, but I really should have seen it by now. I've seen every other Pixar anyway.
Pineapple Express - "Oh dude you smoke pot whelp this is your film bro."
The Social Network - Another new one I'm pretty much morally obligated towards having seen every other Fincher, besides Alien 3.
Everything Is Illuminated - I guess I wasn't in the mood for this when I tried the first time. I fell asleep. I should really like it, though.
Easy Rider - There's a lot here that I should be into. I have always loved Jack Nicholson.
Schindler's List - I finally got Saving Private Ryan out of the way. What else does Spielberg have to say about WWII?
Angels in America - Back in my theater days, I heard this and Kushner spoken of in very hushed tones. HBO miniseries adaptation couldn't be all bad, right? I mean, it's got Pacino in it.
Glengarry Glen Ross - What's not to love about the cast or the writer?

So Far: Time Bandits - 6/10 | Seven Samurai - 10/10 | Tejút - 10/10 | Akira - 8/10 | Koyaanisqatsi - 10/10 | Ran - 6/10

e: VVV Gah, I fuckin' knew it.

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 4, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Breathless

I'm not sure why I held off on this one so long as to put it on my Shame list. Godard is in my list of favorite filmmakers, way up above Truffaut, who doesn't click with me for a variety of probably idiotic reasons, but this one, even after getting a marvelous Criterion BD, never really called my name. Maybe I just wasn't listening hard enough because I adored it. It's just so breezy and fun, all parts, the dialogue, the music, even the cinematography is breezy (the light is captured in a wonderful way that made me wish my apartment had bigger/more windows). Some parts are a little draggy, and the film could have been a couple minutes shorter and suffer no real loss but the overall experience is a delight. Really impressive.

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Aguirre: The Wrath of God - A classic, apparently. I adored Fitzcarraldo and apparently this one is even better. I've seen two Herzog films and I'm still not really sure what his style is, maybe this will help.

3) The Mirror - Woop woop, Tarkovsky! I think I rented this once but didn't watch it. The clip I saw of the barn on fire on Youtube was marvelous, though.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) The Wages Of Fear - This has been on my Netflix queue ever since the Blu-Ray came out, but for some reason I haven't seen it. Why? Who knows! It looks exciting, though.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Ordet - I'll play your games, TSPDT. This actually looks kind of interesting, like a Bergman film almost (and it probably is, I still haven't worked my way through a good deal of his work). I've only seen one other Dreyer, Vampyr, which in fact I own and desperately need to see again.

9) Vertigo - I once saw this film, a long time ago, but I remember almost nothing about it. It's a shame that the current DVD is so lovely, though.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist, Breathless, Where The Wild Things Are (total: 24)

pill for your ills, you get HAUSU.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball, we'll go with Vertigo, not sure what you're talking about with the DVD.

Brighton Rock is a really good gangster film. Not really much to say here, it's well constructed, has some great performances and kept me on edge all the way through to a great ending. I really ought to check out some more Graham Greene written stuff because everything I've seen so far is wonderful.

Updated list:

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember liking it a lot. Levon Helm is always a joy to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Magic Hate Ball, we'll go with Vertigo, not sure what you're talking about with the DVD.

Maybe I'm just projecting because so of the other DVDs in the Masterpiece Collection are really lovely (The Man Who Knew Too Much is nearly unwatchable).

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Peaceful Anarchy, you get to watch Grey Gardens. Looked pretty interesting to me when I was reading the synopsis, so report back :)

I watched Insomnia, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially considering I had zero expectations for it what so ever.

Mean Streets- Love these kinds of movies, and Scorsese is awesome.
Dial M For Murder- I like Hitchcock, havent' seen this one. Bonus that it is on Netflix Instant right now.
Endless Summer- sounds cool? netflix instant also
Dog Day Afternoon A classic, I guess?
The Sting- Another classic that I have passed by.

Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Touching the Void, Insomnia

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

SKEET SKEET posted:

You can never go wrong with a little bit of Hitchcock.

Blue Velvet is one I'll be thinking about for a while. It's really something like I've never seen before and I'm not really sure how to react. I liked it, but my head is still spinning. gently caress Heineken.

New List:

1. Bridge on the River Kwai - I enjoyed the Great Escape and this film usually is listed alongside it.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. Mulholland Drive - I must say I'm a bit intrigued after Blue Velvet.

5. The Usual Suspects - The next top 250 movie I haven't seen. Like City of God, I don't know much about this one either other than a few of the actors in it.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Ratatouille - One of the few Pixar movies I haven't caught.

8. Unforgiven - Another 90s film I've yet to see.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. All Quiet on the Western Front - Another war movie that greatly intrigues me.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

marioinblack posted:

7. Ratatouille - One of the few Pixar movies I haven't caught.

Out of the Pixar movies I have seen, this one is my favorite.

-----

Finally got Alien in from the library and I watched the theatrical cut. It didn't click with me. Not very surprising since I had the same type of reaction to another horror classic (The Thing). The story was deeper and more interesting then it first let on and it was shot beautifully but it just didn't catch my interest. Overall, I was mainly bored by it. Gave it a 69/100 on Criticker

-----

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

*new* Back To The Future: I think I seen part of 2 on tv (is that the one with the hoverboard scene?) but I have never felt the need to track this down.

Dazed And Confused: Sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to watch it. Bought this when HD-DVD died. Remember seeing part of it on TV and I enjoyed it.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray but I do have a HD copy on my DVR.

Annie Hall: Haven't watched any Woody Allen yet and this one is sitting on my DVR.

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100), Alien (69/100)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 4, 2011

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sporadic posted:

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

Get this out of the way before you die a spiteful nerd guy who likes fantasy stuff.

Saw Taxi Driver and Holy-poo poo :stare:
It was funny, sad (mostly sad) and overall scary watching Bickle and his environment. And the mohawk he gets seems to turn everything up to 11.
100/100

1.Vertigo - Looking through this thread and thinking about it, I had seen Hitchcock movies on tv years ago on some classic movie channel. Loved them all but it seems I'd missed this one.
2.Citizen Kane - The 'Rose Bud' twist had been spoiled long before I knew about the movie and I had seen a parody done by Tiny Toons and thought the movie was ruined for me. Maybe I'm wrong?
3.The Third Man - Parts of this have been spoiled too. Hope it's still good when I get around to watching it.
4.Solaris - Saw the remake, always wanted to but never got around to looking up the original.
5.Aguirre: The Wrath of God - My dad actually recommended this one to me a long time ago. I should get around to seeing it sometime before he dies or whatever.
6.Casa Blanca - Pretty much the same reasons as #2.
7.Eyes Wide Shut - Love Kubrick, think this is the only movie of his I haven't seen.
8.Taxi Driver - "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me!?" always wanted to watch this but :effort:
9.This is Spinal Tap - Friend of mine from high school had this but we never got around to watching it.
10.A Fist Full of Dollars/A Few Dollars More - Always loved 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly, never knew it was part of a trilogy till a year or two ago.

Also, what happened to :popstare: ?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 4, 2011

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

9.This is Spinal Tap - Friend of mine from high school had this but we never got around to watching it.

You should be ashamed never having seen this movie and using the "goes to 11" reference. I'm going to make an honest man out of you!

Also, you may want to replace the movies you've seen with new ones to flesh out your list and keep it at 10.

Okay, so I just finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and that was....certainly something, wasn't it? It was eerie, to say the least. I don't think I disliked it. Even though it was really slow paced, it built some wonderful atmosphere, and while I didn't understand the end (as I'm sure a lot of people don't), it did fill me with sense of impending doom and dread. I think that was the point? Anyhow, not my favorite Kubrick, but then, it's probably one of his more stylized ones.

Here's my updated list:

1. 8 1/2 - I have never, ever seen a Fellini film. Not even a single clip, to my knowledge. I have absolutely no idea what this is about, or if I should even start with this one to introduce me to that director, but everyone has it on their list and everyone raves about it.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Seven Samurai. My husband loves this film to death, but I've never seen it. Not a fan of old black and whites, so I'm hoping it will keep me interested.

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Lawrence of Arabia. Never even really heard much about this movie. I know it's a classic, but up until this thread, I never thought it was something I had to see. Here's hoping it's as good as everyone says it is and worth the time to watch it.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. It Happened One Night. Heard it's a very good early romantic comedy? Also, I've only ever seen Mr. Gable in Gone With the Wind, so it would be nice to have more exposure to his other movies.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 5, 2011

Barebones
Jan 26, 2011

Bodnoirbabe posted:

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

I was going to suggest Lawrence of Arabia, but after a two and a half hour space movie, a three and a half hour war movie would be cruel. Tombstone is good, but by no means a classic. Definitely much better than Wyatt Earp, but not as good as My Darling Clementine.

My List:
1. Das Boot I've seen bits of it on TV, but I've never seen the whole thing in one sitting.
2. Rear Window Shamefully one of the few Hitchcock films I've never seen is reputably one of his best.
3. The Birds The only other famous Hitchcock movie I could think of that I haven't seen.
4. Straw Dogs Always wanted to see it.
5. The Lives of Others My parents tell me to see this movie whenever we talk about movies.
6. Network I've never had any interest in seeing this movie, but it pops up on all the best of lists.
7. Magnolia Another one that I've seen bits and pieces of but not the whole thing.
8. Brazil I like Terry Gilliam but I've never seen it.
9. Last Tango in Paris And here I thought I was only person in the world who'd never seen this one.
10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid No excuses, I'm sure I'll like it, but I've never got around to watching it.

Barebones fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 5, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Barebones, Magnolia is one of my all time favourites, so you get to watch that.

Grey Gardens :aaa: This is really fascinating, a wonderful portrait of two crazy cat ladies. There's a few moments where it feels exploitative, but it's so honest, and the subjects are completely aware of what they're doing, that for the most part I just sat back and laughed and cringed as the strange but interesting lives were slowly revealed. You all owe it to yourselves to watch it and it's available for free on hulu.

Updated list:

David Holzman's Diary I think it's some kind of Avant-garde mockumentary. Seems interesting.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Grey Gardens :aaa: This is really fascinating, a wonderful portrait of two crazy cat ladies. There's a few moments where it feels exploitative, but it's so honest, and the subjects are completely aware of what they're doing, that for the most part I just sat back and laughed and cringed as the strange but interesting lives were slowly revealed. You all owe it to yourselves to watch it and it's available for free on hulu.

This really does look interesting. I'm going add it to my list of movies to add to my list of Shameful movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

David Holzman's Diary I think it's some kind of Avant-garde mockumentary. Seems interesting.

Think The Truman Show with a much drier wit and more full-frontal female nudity.