Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm starting off the year with another Alastair Reynolds audiobook - Revelation Space narrated by John Lee :swoon:

Also thanks Mister Macys who has convinced me to listen to Salt (mostly because I'm gay for Scott Brick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayato
Jul 26, 2005

what
Just finished A Wizard of Earthsea read by Harlan Ellison. His enthusiasm irritated the hell out of me.

Next up, Steppenwolf read by Peter Weller.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Syrinxx posted:

I'm starting off the year with another Alastair Reynolds audiobook - Revelation Space narrated by John Lee :swoon:

Also thanks Mister Macys who has convinced me to listen to Salt (mostly because I'm gay for Scott Brick)

I think it's his best work, besides Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Shadow".
(My favorite Sci-Fi authour, ever)

Got his newest book ("Pathfinder" Part 1), and "Empire of Blue Water" this month, which is an awesome book (so far) on Captain Morgan. :yarr:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 3, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coleman francis posted:

Triple recommending More Information Than You Require by John Hodgman.
It is a fantastically written and read piece of literature.

Warning. Don't listen to it on long walks unless you are comfortable giggling a guffawing while in the presence of strangers.

On a similar note, I'm listening to Areas of My Expertise right now.

Hodgman and Coulton bullshitting is the best part.

"I do have my extra-large hands on today."

NoodleBaby
Jul 11, 2010
I just finished "The Executioner's Wife" read by Henry Strozier. Strozier is amazing. I then started "The Last Town on Earth" and happily discovered it too is read by Strozier!

I've listened to 20-30 audiobooks and Strozier is far and away the best reader - voice, timbre, speed of reading are all fantastic - in my opinion.

As a side note, both of those books lend themselves well to the audio experience.

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
I just finished Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich and moved onto Wicked Appetite by the same author.

Book is good, but drat it, it's the same narrator. Who I like, don't get me wrong, but there are several characters where I have to keep reminding myself what book I'm listening to because the narrator uses the same accent for them. Next book I'm definitely taking a break from Janet Evanovich...

quote:

Don't listen to it on long walks unless you are comfortable giggling a guffawing while in the presence of strangers.

My big problem. I've gotten to the point where I just carry on and ignore the stares when I burst out laughing on the train. Not my fault they don't have anything funny to listen to.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Dickeye posted:

On a similar note, I'm listening to Areas of My Expertise right now.

Hodgman and Coulton bullshitting is the best part.

"I do have my extra-large hands on today."

Areas of My Expertise was pretty good, but it can't hold a candle to his follow up book, More Informaion Than You Require. The second book is absolutely hilarious but mostly I think he just reads it a lot better and his punch lines have a lot more punch.

Daniel Lau
Dec 19, 2009
Audiobooks with musical accompaniment - there are plenty of bad examples, but does anybody know of any good ones?

Done right, it could be amazing but it would no doubt be so much work that it'd blow out the production budget.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's the end of the month, here's what I've bought this time:

Pathfinder Book One
Orson Scott Card :3:
Narr.: Stefan Rudnicki, Kirby Heyborne, Don Leslie, Kristoffer Tabori, Scott Brick
Take every popular time travel movie or TV show, and combine them: Back to the Future, Bill & Ted, Star Treks, and shake thoroughly. This book is one awesome :psyduck: of science fiction.
5/5

Empire of Blue Water
Stephan Talty
Narr.: John H. Mayer
A History of the infamous Welsh privateer William Henry Morgan (yes, the dude on the rum bottle). It's got pirates and poo poo, and it's awesome. :yarr:
4/5

Emperors and Idiots: The Hundred-Year Rivalry Between the Yankees and the Red Sox
Mike Vaccaro
Narr.: Scott Brick (Moneyball)
Includes the rivalry of said teams, the origins of "The Curse", Bernie Mac's Cubs Folly of '03, and the Sox' victory in 2004. The book starts in the Ruth Era, then jumps back and forth a lot between the Dimaggio/Ted Williams years, and the (then) present day. Could've used better editing, but it's a great book. I don't like following the sport (:canada: ), but I love it's stories.
5/5

The Second World War: Milestones to Disaster
Sir Winston Churchill
Narr.: Christian Rodska
The history leading up to the beginning of WWII, culminating in the taking of Paris. The first in a four part series, as told from Winston's perspective, telling it as he saw it, and from what he learned in the war's aftermath.
:siren: This book is only $5.50 for members until February 8th. GET IT NOW. :siren:
4/5

Upcoming credit purchases: Probably the next two parts of Churchill's history.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 3, 2011

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
As a middle school teacher, young adult fiction is what I listen to most so I can keep up with what the kids are reading while commuting and also find good stuff to recommend to them.

Top Recommendations:

Bloody Jack series - written by L.A. Meyer and read by Katherine Kellgren (sample)
This is the best of the single readers. Later in the series L.A. Meyer has been writing more songs into the books specifically because Kellgren is so loving awesome. Beautiful singing, fantastic adventure on the seas. Kellgren is great in everything she does, but she and Jacky are made for each other.

Tiffany Aching series - written by Terry Pratchett and read by Stephen Briggs (sample)
Briggs does a wonderful job of being hilarious and touching, which Pratchett himself is so good at. Another case of a reader just capturing a tone and feel perfectly.

Hunger Games series - written by Suzanne Collins and read by Carolyn McCormick (sample)
This is a great story all by itself, but McCormick brings the desperate-yet-resolved vibe that Catniss deserves. (If you're noticing a pattern, I like strong female leads to counter this Bella Swan bullshit.)

Airman - written by Eoin Colfer and read by John Keating (preview)

Artemis Fowl series - written by Eoin Colfer and read by Nathaniel Parker (sample)

Airborn series - written by Kenneth Oppel and read by Full Cast Audio (sample)
David Kelly reading Matt Cruze captures his boyish wonder perfectly and I find it infectious.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

groverat posted:

Tiffany Aching series - written by Terry Pratchett and read by Stephen Briggs (sample)
Briggs does a wonderful job of being hilarious and touching, which Pratchett himself is so good at. Another case of a reader just capturing a tone and feel perfectly.

I've always felt that Nigel Planer was better of the two.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
The two most offensive things in the history of audiobooks are (1) Jesse Bernstein's voice for the winged horse character, Blackjack, in the Percy Jackson series and (2) Connor O'Brien singing in the old recording of Lucifer's Hammer. "Puuuure cul-ture" is a running joke in my house.

There's a reason the old sci-fi standards are getting new productions, and that reason is Connor O'Brien's godawful nasal voice.

More recommendations:

Twilight series - written by Stephenie Meyer and read by Ilyana Kadushin (sample)
Yes, yes, I know. I recommend this because it is better to listen to this reader then actually hold this book in front of your face if you are, for some reason, compelled or threatened into reading these books. Otherwise, ignore it.

The Strain 1 - written by Guillermo del Toro and read by Ron Perlman (sample)
The Strain 2 - written by Guillermo del Toro and read by Daniel Oreskes (sample)
Perlman's reading was much better, and I don't know why he doesn't do the second book. If he was too busy they should've waited for him.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk - written by David Sedaris and read by David Sedaris, Dylan Baker, Elaine Stritch, Sian Phillips (sample)
Elaine Stritch's sections are ridiculously funny. While I would like David Sedaris to just follow me around and read everything I see aloud, the variety is fun.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Audible is a good source for audiobooks.

I have looked at Audible, but it is monthly subscription based. Why do you pay a monthly subscription and still have to buy the books? It would seem Im just paying an extra fee for no reason. That hardly makes any sense.

strategery fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 9, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

strategery posted:

I have looked at Audible, but it is monthly subscription based. Why do you pay a monthly subscription and still have to buy the books? That hardly makes any sense.

Pretty sure you get credits every month to pick stuff up with.

Listened to Wigfield over the last few weeks. God that was funny. Colbert basically played his TV character, but as an author.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

strategery posted:

I have looked at Audible, but it is monthly subscription based. Why do you pay a monthly subscription and still have to buy the books? That hardly makes any sense.

You get credits each month. My plan:

AudibleListenerŽ Platinum Membership:$22.95 a month.
Receive 2 credits each month.

That means last month I spent 1 credit (about 11 bucks) and got a 41 hour long space opera that would have cost $40 to buy most places.

*edit* Oh yeah, I recommend Pandora's Star, and the sequel Judas Unchained for long scifi space opera stuff that's a great balance between entertainment and quality scifi. Any shortcomings are made up for by John Lee's classy narrating.

Locus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 9, 2011

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw
I've been listening to Neil Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle narrated by Simon Prebble for the past few months and so far I'm loving it. I love Stephenson's work, but the size of the Baroque Cycle is a bit daunting and I don't really have time to really delve into it in actual book form. I've been listening to a few books a month while commuting to work and jogging and it's a pretty fantastic production overall. Go listen to it!

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Locus posted:

You get credits each month. My plan:

AudibleListenerŽ Platinum Membership:$22.95 a month.
Receive 2 credits each month.

That means last month I spent 1 credit (about 11 bucks) and got a 41 hour long space opera that would have cost $40 to buy most places.

Okay, that makes more sense. From the website, I get:

quote:

Get your first 3 months for only $7.49/month*
and just $14.95/month thereafter. Cancel anytime.
AudibleListenerŽ Gold
With AudibleListener Gold, you can choose to download any of 85,000 audiobooks and more, and listen on your iPodŽ, iPhoneŽ, BlackBerry, or 500+ MP3 players.Your membership includes:

* One monthly credit good for any audiobook you choose to download
* 30% off any audiobook purchased without a credit
* Free daily subscription to The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal
* Member-exclusive sales and promotions

Example of Savings
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (UNABRIDGED)
by Stieg Larsson
Narrated by Simon Vance
Regular Price: $31.93
Special Offer Price: $7.49
You Save: $24.44 (76.54%)

So is the price as I see it now ($7.49) discounted already, or is it 30% off something else? Just trying to understand pricing here before I take a plunge.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

strategery posted:

Okay, that makes more sense. From the website, I get:

So is the price as I see it now ($7.49) discounted already, or is it 30% off something else? Just trying to understand pricing here before I take a plunge.

The example they provide there is confusing because the special price is different then the membership price. For example now that the special is over when I pull that book up it lists the regular price of $31.93 but also lists my member price $22.35.

The discounts are not the big advantage to having an audible account its the credits you get every month. I get two per pay period and almost every book cost 1 credit. The new Wheel of Time book that came out only cost me 1 credit and the book is currently listed as $44.75 and that's with my member discount. That's 40 hours of audio book for 7 bucks.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The proper way to use audible is to use your monthy credits on anything that costs $40 or so. That way you're getting it a huge discount. Then if there's anything cheap you want, just buy it outright. You get that members discount and you save your credits for those long expensive books. This has served me well for a long long time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If anyone uses iTunes, 39 audiobooks of public domain works are being sold for $2 a piece. It claims to be presented by Audible so they might be better quality than ones from Librivox or Internet Archive since I would assume these were recorded by professionals.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Island Nation posted:

If anyone uses iTunes, 39 audiobooks of public domain works are being sold for $2 a piece. It claims to be presented by Audible so they might be better quality than ones from Librivox or Internet Archive since I would assume these were recorded by professionals.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/collection/literary-classics-under-3/id28?fcId=418436251

Done by Brilliance Audio, which generally does a pretty good job. Generally I try to avoid buying Audible.com books from iTunes since you lose to ability to use with non-Apple devices, to redownload, or to stream, but the prices beat what I see on Audible's website significantly.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

https://www.weread4you.com - just started up but already has about 8000 books on the site, more following each week. Okay, it's not got everything Audible has, but it's a good place to start for a lot of the books.

Thanks for this.

I made an Audible account a week or two ago and immediately cancelled when they wanted me to download software.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

mastur posted:

Thanks for this.

I made an Audible account a week or two ago and immediately cancelled when they wanted me to download software.

That's a shockingly poor reason to cancel an Audible account. It's an unobtrusive little app that activates when you need to download a book, nothing more. You're missing out on an incredible amount of content for no good reason.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
The reason is I don't want to. Poor, possibly, but still a good enough reason for me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Mentioned earlier in the thread, but check out Lit2Go for public domain audiobook freebies.

Your local library is another good source for free audiobooks, with interlibrary loan I can find an audiobook mentioned in this thread more often than not!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

mastur posted:

The reason is I don't want to. Poor, possibly, but still a good enough reason for me.

If you have a smart phone, you can just download straight to that. That's what I do, and I loving love it. The Audible Android App is loving amazing.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
A swell suggestion, I do not though.

Perhaps sometime in the future, however far into it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The General posted:

The Audible Android App is loving amazing.

Until it crashes all over the place or fails to download a file because it is "Unable to find file on server". I have never had such a fierce love/hate relationship with a piece of software.

sethyqunt
Feb 15, 2011
The Wheel of Time books are all good on audio, a nice way to kill time while driving to work and back each day?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Someone already mentioned them earlier in the thread, but you really can't go wrong with the Rob Inglis reading of The Lord of the Rings. He's got a good speaking voice, a good vocal range for doing different voices, he sings all the songs, he speaks all the languages, it's just top notch stuff all around. Also it's unabridged, which is nice.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tunahead posted:

Someone already mentioned them earlier in the thread, but you really can't go wrong with the Rob Inglis reading of The Lord of the Rings. He's got a good speaking voice, a good vocal range for doing different voices, he sings all the songs, he speaks all the languages, it's just top notch stuff all around. Also it's unabridged, which is nice.

He also recently did a reading Earthsea Cycle books which is head and shoulders above the atrocious Harlan Ellison version. He nails the crisp, lyrical, almost dreamlike quality of LeGuin's writing.

Edit: His reading of The Hobbit is spot-on too.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Jonathan Marosz's reading of Theodore Rex is so crappy compared to Mark Deakins reading of Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. I don't know if I can get through it.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
One of my favorite sites is https://www.radioarchive.cc. Its a torrent site containing spoken-word material originally broadcast on free-to-air radio, mostly from the BBC. Its completely legal, uploading copyrighted material from commercial sources results in a instant ban.
Theres not a lot of unabridged audiobooks, its mostly dramatizations, but theres so many gems on that site its well worth digging through. Lots of classic SciFi from the 70s, crime/thrillers, comedies, historical/classics and documentaries.

Some humble recommendations
Search for Shakespeare for full cast performances of dozens of plays produced by the BBC. Stunning quality.

Search for Wodehouse for similar success.Particularly worthy of your time is a recording of Martin Jarvis reading two Jeeves and Wooster stories in front of a live audience at a book fair. Its was described by The Times as a tour de force and its hard to disagree.Ive listened to them literally dozens of times.

Star Wars - A New Hope,The Empire Strikes Back and The Return Of The Jedi. American NPR production with cooperation of Lucasfilm. Yeah, this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565110056/sofa-20/ref=nosim

Really, theres so much on there that everybody should find something to suit.

Just a quick reminder, this is legal!

Anyway, I hope someone finds it useful.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

bpower posted:

One of my favorite sites is https://www.radioarchive.cc. Its a torrent site containing spoken-word material originally broadcast on free-to-air radio, mostly from the BBC. Its completely legal, uploading copyrighted material from commercial sources results in a instant ban.
Theres not a lot of unabridged audiobooks, its mostly dramatizations, but theres so many gems on that site its well worth digging through. Lots of classic SciFi from the 70s, crime/thrillers, comedies, historical/classics and documentaries.

Some humble recommendations
Search for Shakespeare for full cast performances of dozens of plays produced by the BBC. Stunning quality.

Search for Wodehouse for similar success.Particularly worthy of your time is a recording of Martin Jarvis reading two Jeeves and Wooster stories in front of a live audience at a book fair. Its was described by The Times as a tour de force and its hard to disagree.Ive listened to them literally dozens of times.

Star Wars - A New Hope,The Empire Strikes Back and The Return Of The Jedi. American NPR production with cooperation of Lucasfilm. Yeah, this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565110056/sofa-20/ref=nosim

Really, theres so much on there that everybody should find something to suit.

Just a quick reminder, this is legal!

Anyway, I hope someone finds it useful.

Thanks much! Will definitely check it out!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

February Audible purchases:

The Second World War: Alone
The Second World War: The Grand Alliance
The Second World War: Triumph and Tragedy

Sir Winston Churchill
Narr.: Christian Rodska
The remaining three parts of Churchill's account of World War II. In book three, you hear him tear a strip off Stalin, as by many accounts, he was the only one who saw Stalin for what he was: a paranoid, power-hungry, incompetent rear end in a top hat.
5/5

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
Michael Lewis
Narr.: Jesse Boggs (Reminds me of Graham Greene :canada: )
An account of the events leading to the Sub-Prime Mortgage lending crash of 2007/2008, starring the few smart people who actually saw it coming, and proved it by making a shitton of money, when most of the banks lost their shirts. This book has a LOT of abbreviations, and as a layman, I've had to relisten to it to understand some of the more technical financial aspects of the book.
5/5

The Complete Just So Stories
Rudyard Kipling
Narr.: Johnny Morris (There's like 8 or 9 versions of this book on the site, all with different narrators)
A collection of children's short stories, mostly revolving around how the various animals got their features. Like how the elephant got its trunk, the camel its hump, the leopard its spots etc. Really wanted to check out Kipling's stuff since re-viewing the original Sabu version of The Jungle Book. The Narrator is great, and goes the distance for the different animals and personalities in the book. You get the feeling Kipling wrote it for his daughter, as he makes many references to "my beloved".
5/5

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 2, 2011

The Haggis Line
Apr 10, 2003

I'm really enjoying Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. It's a book about a mafia hitman turned medical intern, and the reader does a really great job of capturing the character's voice. Nothing too demanding, and it's got music at the tense moments! And sound effects!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's why Star Wars books loving rule, too.

Now if only the majority of them weren't loving abridged... :sigh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 4, 2011

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, here's a question, and I hope you'll pardon the naivete.

I've learned over the time that I cannot under most circumstances stand any sort of "dramatic" rendition of text. Higher pitched words in dramatic moments, different tones for different characters, and so on drive me up the wall. I have no idea why, but it's the way I'm wired. I'd prefer if it was just flat monotone throughout.

Is there a company or a particularly prolific narrator that specializes in this sort of thing. Most of the Audible content is dressed-up and performed rather too much for my taste.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:stare:

This is the probably the guy you want:
Charlton Griffin.

Alternately, doesn't Adobe or some other company have a Text-to-Voice program?
I mean, if all you want is a flat monotone, why pay more than the price of an ebook?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
I have greatly enjoyed the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin series as read by Patrick Tull. Tull really does bring out the best of the characters and his voice acting and range is superb.