Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kimbo305 posted:

At some point in the recent past, Google Docs switched from a continuous sheet, no page size document model to a model that's pretty much a copy of Word's.

I like to save web pages using Google Docs. The old model is much better for this, and very faithfully reproduces the page layout. The new model is junk, since it faithfully reproduces pasting a web page into Word.

The only workaround I've found is to make a copy of a doc I've made during the old model, and then to edit that as a new document.

Anyone know how to keep creating new docs using the old model?

It doesn't answer your problem, but if you're saving webpages, why not use Google Sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

The Dark Wind posted:

What movie is this brass motive from? For some reason it just popped into my head so I tried to figure out the notes on Ableton and used some brass samples to make it sound somewhat realistic. It may not be exact but if hear it you'll probably know exactly what I'm talking about.

That sample is pretty unhelpful...it just sounds like james bond.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

john mayer posted:

My question: When a dude goes to the strip club with his buddies or whoever, is it inappropriate or expected to get a visible boner?

I don't think it's ever appropriate to get a visible boner unless you're about to stick it in something. Not to say it shouldn't happen in a strip club, but I wouldn't exactly walk around flaunting it unless you want to get lumped in with the creepy old sweatpants dude. Wear some jeans or baggy pants or something. or sit down. gently caress, I don't know.

I'll be clear as I can: I, as a patron of said strip establishment, do not want to see your visible boner, so the gentlemanly thing to do would be to do your best to conceal it.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 4, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

gwar3k1 posted:

It doesn't answer your problem, but if you're saving webpages, why not use Google Sites?

How does that work? Can you give me an example? Mostly I use my current method as a way to back up various online tax forms, etc. Google Docs used to be the thing for the job. This new format is good for Word compatibility, but a step in the wrong direction for my use case.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

kimbo305 posted:

How does that work? Can you give me an example? Mostly I use my current method as a way to back up various online tax forms, etc. Google Docs used to be the thing for the job. This new format is good for Word compatibility, but a step in the wrong direction for my use case.

Not to help you but to enlighten me, why not just print them to pdf?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

RaoulDuke12 posted:

That sample is pretty unhelpful...it just sounds like james bond.

It's a lot earlier than that. Kind of a generic suspense / horror motif used in dramatic radio serials of the 30's and 40's. The kind of stuff that would get churned out in Tin Pan Alley or BBC Radio and pressed to disk - usually with a dozen or so different variants. You can pick these up on Various SFX CDs if you look hard enough.

I know it's older because The Goon Show would do parody versions, and that was in the 1950's

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there a standard format for rap lyrics?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What do you mean by format?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

TetsuoTW posted:

Iambic pentameter with a final spondee foot.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Smirking_Serpent posted:

No.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
An etiquette question:

If I meet an elder business acquaintance in a restaurant or private event should I go to their table and greet them?

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

cosmin posted:

An etiquette question:

If I meet an elder business acquaintance in a restaurant or private event should I go to their table and greet them?

Aw hells yeah! Whether there's a social rule for it or not it's always courteous. Back when I worked at a private golf club for rich people whenever I saw one of them at a restaurant or in public I always said hello, I could tell they appreciated it.

My question, does anyone have any experience with one of these FlipFold things? I'm way too lazy to keep folding my laundry and if this poo poo really works it will save me a ton of space.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

cosmin posted:

An etiquette question:

Based on what I've seen my Dad and his friends do my entire life, the answer would seem to be yes. If they spot you and you did not come over to say hi, this may be considered rude. Make eye contact and smile as you approach, shake hands and say hello, tell them not to get up if they start to, make introductions with anyone they may be sitting with, and then excuse yourself back to your own table so as not to interrupt their meal any further.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Yeet posted:

Aw hells yeah! Whether there's a social rule for it or not it's always courteous. Back when I worked at a private golf club for rich people whenever I saw one of them at a restaurant or in public I always said hello, I could tell they appreciated it.

My question, does anyone have any experience with one of these FlipFold things? I'm way too lazy to keep folding my laundry and if this poo poo really works it will save me a ton of space.

When I worked in retail, a lot of stores used these. It works just fine. Really though, I think it's more work than just folding your poo poo once you get the hang of efficiently folding.

I worked at F21 for a while, and since having to fix those tables after a bunch of preteen girls tore them apart I've gotten into the habit of just hanging everything. I hate folding so much.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kapalama posted:

Not to help you but to enlighten me, why not just print them to pdf?

Saving to file means I have to keep it on disk or throw it back onto my Dropbox. It's less effort to just copy and paste into Google Docs, where I can look at document titles and search. Well, it used to be less effort.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kimbo305 posted:

Saving to file means I have to keep it on disk or throw it back onto my Dropbox. It's less effort to just copy and paste into Google Docs, where I can look at document titles and search. Well, it used to be less effort.

I was only told about sites the other day so suggested it without trying it first. Having just played with it, I've discovered you can't modify the full page HTML so it wouldn't be able to be a backup solution for you.

You can upload PDFs to google docs for storage if that's any use to you?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

gwar3k1 posted:

I was only told about sites the other day so suggested it without trying it first. Having just played with it, I've discovered you can't modify the full page HTML so it wouldn't be able to be a backup solution for you.

You can upload PDFs to google docs for storage if that's any use to you?

What would be really cool is if Gmail seached the contents of PDFs. Then you could mail them to yourself and search.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Posted this in the ipod thread, nobody knew the answer:

I work at a place with no wifi connections. Is there a way to have my ipod touch connected to the internet while it's plugged in and charging on my Macbook? I mean the computer is online...it seems to me it ought to be possible to have the ipod be online, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jackpot posted:

Posted this in the ipod thread, nobody knew the answer:

I work at a place with no wifi connections. Is there a way to have my ipod touch connected to the internet while it's plugged in and charging on my Macbook? I mean the computer is online...it seems to me it ought to be possible to have the ipod be online, too.

If you turn on internet connection sharing on the macbook you can turn it into a base station and connect the iPod to it. But if your workplace has a real no-wifi rule (rather than just not bothering to set it up) this may be frowned on.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

This is a dumb question about the atmosphere and the earth's rotation. Say there's a huge volcano spewing smoke directly on the equator, would this smoke be spread along the equator by the earths rotation (and the difference in speed between the source of the smoke and higher up in the atmosphere) or would it continue going directly upwards?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Is there a story/thread behind this kid? He's become a bit of a celebrity among my group of friends and only one of them is a goon. I want to give them some back story.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is there a story/thread behind this kid? He's become a bit of a celebrity among my group of friends and only one of them is a goon. I want to give them some back story.

He simply loves his ribs.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1258

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

haveblue posted:

If you turn on internet connection sharing on the macbook you can turn it into a base station and connect the iPod to it. But if your workplace has a real no-wifi rule (rather than just not bothering to set it up) this may be frowned on.
My office does have a problem with me doing that, but I tried it anyway, to no avail. The ipod sees the network, connects to it, gives me three blue bars...and it still tells me I have no internet connection. App store, Safari, whatever, there's nothing there.

So there's just no way for the ipod to consider itself "tethered" to the laptop?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I mean like a particular number of lines or verses.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

john mayer posted:

When I worked in retail, a lot of stores used these. It works just fine. Really though, I think it's more work than just folding your poo poo once you get the hang of efficiently folding.

I worked at F21 for a while, and since having to fix those tables after a bunch of preteen girls tore them apart I've gotten into the habit of just hanging everything. I hate folding so much.

Aw ballsack. I think I'll give it a try though, if my shirts are all neat and equally folded it might be worth it. Folding pants with this thing looks kind of weird on the commercial though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

So anyway Fringe had a line where Peter says Malasadas and takes out a piece of Texas Toast, and it made me wonder if most people even know what malasadas are.

Do people not from Hawaii know what malasadas are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malasada

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

kapalama posted:

So anyway Fringe had a line where Peter says Malasadas and takes out a piece of Texas Toast, and it made me wonder if most people even know what malasadas are.

You're saying that they used "Texas Toast" instead of the appropriate doughnut? You know that it's just fat bread, right?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Why doesn't my timg work properly with Chrome? I can't make the images bigger.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

kapalama posted:

I had never heard of them before today. I'd be surprised if any of my friends had, either. If I was presented with one, I'd just call it a donut. (Washington State)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

I had never heard of them before today. I'd be surprised if any of my friends had, either. If I was presented with one, I'd just call it a donut. (Washington State)

Same here, and I've been to Hawaii.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Orzo posted:

Why doesn't my timg work properly with Chrome? I can't make the images bigger.

Same for me. The only way I've found is to quote the message and then copy & paste the image URL.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

marshmallard posted:

Same for me. The only way I've found is to quote the message and then copy & paste the image URL.

For Chrome, right click on it, and then open in a new tab. Does that not work? It does for me.

And those malasadas look like donuts. I'd never heard of them either, and I do a fair bit of food journalism.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

This is a dumb question about the atmosphere and the earth's rotation. Say there's a huge volcano spewing smoke directly on the equator, would this smoke be spread along the equator by the earths rotation (and the difference in speed between the source of the smoke and higher up in the atmosphere) or would it continue going directly upwards?

It would be spread by the prevailing winds, which could be going in any direction. The Earth's rotation has almost as little effect on gases as it does solids or liquids.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

TremendousMajestic posted:

For Chrome, right click on it, and then open in a new tab. Does that not work? It does for me.

And those malasadas look like donuts. I'd never heard of them either, and I do a fair bit of food journalism.

Ah that's a better workaround than mine - thanks.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
For some reason Tinypic.com never loads for me; not images, not the main page, nothing. It's very frustrating as it's one of the prevalent image hosts on this forum. I use Firefox... Any ideas? I don't think it's blocked anywhere. The same problem happens in IE.

Bonus question: Is there software I can use to do some sort of accounting for where all my harddrive space is being taken up? Like I know my music folder is 60gb, World of Warcraft took like 23gb, but is there a program that could generate a list for me?

edit: you guys are neat, thank you! vvv

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 7, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Same here, and I've been to Hawaii.

Obvious but worth pointing out: Going there and living there/growing up there are much different things. Everyone from Hawaii knows what malasadas are, and everyone in Hawaii saw him pick up that thing he was eating and said "Hey that's not a malasada!"

Everyone, thanks for the responses. Just another part of life in Hawaii that is unique to Hawaii, I guess. Lucky we live Hawaii.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 6, 2011

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

kapalama posted:

[...] Lucky we live Hawaii.

Are you still talking about being able to recognize a malasada?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
How great is alcohol's impact on muscular development? If I've been looking after my muscle tone, lately, and I drink a beer tonight, am I going to regret it?

My stepfather is keeping some Guinness in the fridge. Never had it, before.

Edit: This poo poo sucks. It tastes like booze and water. I have no desire to take another sip.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 6, 2011

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Bonus question: Is there software I can use to do some sort of accounting for where all my harddrive space is being taken up? Like I know my music folder is 60gb, World of Warcraft took like 23gb, but is there a program that could generate a list for me?

TreeSize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Spacemonger is a more visual version, it's pretty handy.
http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php