Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

evil_bunnY posted:

What's funny if that if this happened to me I'd have everything back online as fast as my home link can handle it.

You would re-upload 5 years worth of stuff to the same site that just deleted it? What about all of your contacts, favorites, links, sets, collections, tags, emails, groups, etc?

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I don't think because if you do something silly and trust something you shouldn't, you deserve to lose your life's work of photography.

Take the concept one step left, and it's like "bitch be wearin' a short skirt, she want it".

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

All those glitter comments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

You would re-upload 5 years worth of stuff to the same site that just deleted it?
Well it's not flickr for one. And sure, why not. Especially if they gave me a couple years free, and all I'd have to do was click publish and crack open a beer.

Helmacron posted:

Take the concept one step left, and it's like "bitch be wearin' a short skirt, she want it".
Ugh.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I think in Lightroom 3, all the comments and the like from Flickr are downloaded and backed up on your machine. It always seems to be downloading my comments and other things when I upload something new.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Interesting thing going around about Gap using a modified version of a CC licensed photo from Flickr without permission on t-shirts http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdevers/5402217217/

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

beeker posted:

Interesting thing going around about Gap using a modified version of a CC licensed photo from Flickr without permission on t-shirts http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdevers/5402217217/

Smells like an out of court settlement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mannequin posted:

Smells like an out of court settlement.

Sounds like "oops our bad some intern found the image and we totally thought it was in the clear, so yeah we fired him and we're cool now, okay?"

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Not to sound like a douchebag, but it's just a snapshot of an old car. If Gap were to really want to use that photo, couldn't they have just found another old e-type and taken a picture of it from the same angle? Especially since they didn't use the background at all- there has to be thousands of pictures of the same model from roughly the same angle floating around the internet.

Couldn't they just have used this one?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

Not to sound like a douchebag, but it's just a snapshot of an old car. If Gap were to really want to use that photo, couldn't they have just found another old e-type and taken a picture of it from the same angle? Especially since they didn't use the background at all- there has to be thousands of pictures of the same model from roughly the same angle floating around the internet.

Little man getting picked on by the big corporation is pretty much the rallying cry of the internet. It's not that stealing the picture is a big deal, it's that someone has the opportunity to embarrass a large corporation.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

Couldn't they just have used this one?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Yeah they could have, but they didn't, that's the important part. Dumb on their part. Especially since they could have contacted people and I bet someone on flickr would have let them use it for free.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Anyone else hooked on old lenses? I don't have much money to spend on glass, so the bang/buck ratio of vintage lenses suits me just fine.
Got this in the post today, 135mm f2.8 Super Albinar for Minolta MD.

Best part? It cost $20.
Right here :hfive:
Also, 'sup Minolta MD buddy :hfive: Nice find, especially at that price!

I bought a 70-200mm F/3.5 in MD less than a month ago, and got the pictures from the first roll of film that passed behind that glass back from the shop today. Much fun, and new life injected into my X-700.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Reading the comments has me confused. You don't have to register photos for them to be copyrighted, but you can not sue unless they have been registered? Then what's the point of the default copyright- is it just a moral victory? "Ha! You are infringing my (c).. I just can't do anything about it"

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
The way I understood is that you can still sue, but you're only going to get a smaller amount of money if you win. Once they are properly registered you can get a larger settlement.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The way I understood is that you can still sue, but you're only going to get a smaller amount of money if you win. Once they are properly registered you can get a larger settlement.

gently caress that, the most important thing about copyright is that you can bitch on the Internet about someone ganking your poo poo.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
According to that page, and I have no idea if this is correct, you can sue for actual damages without a registered copyright - like how much money you would have been making had the theft not occurred. If you register your copyrights, you can sue for punitive damages and go buy an island somewhere.

e: ^ yeah, basically what they said. ^

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

I am inclined to agree. A generic image of a mass produced vehicle? Who gives a poo poo.

Selling photo prints claiming or implying it belongs to them? Bad.

Selling a t-shirt with a stylized image using the photo as a source image? Eh. They could very easily say they contracted the design out to an artist and that artist just used the photo as a source to draw his design, which happens all the loving time.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ola posted:

Anyone else hooked on old lenses? I don't have much money to spend on glass, so the bang/buck ratio of vintage lenses suits me just fine.

Got this in the post today, 135mm f2.8 Super Albinar for Minolta MD.

Woop woop! I love my MC TeleRokkor 135/2.8, Auto Aragon 28/2.8 in MC, and the newest acquisition, MD Zoom 70-300/4.5-5.8. The Goodwill next to work is a specialized gravity well into which MC and MD mount bodies and lenses are inexplicably drawn.

I really have to start checking film inidcators, though, I've had two cameras with fully shot rolls of film that I exposed by opening the backs that I could have wound and had developed. Probably nothing groundbreaking since they were both Kodak Gold, but I'm sure one of the lost photos sites would have posted them or maybe I could have identified people and given them their late grandpa's pictures.

I almost picked up the super 8 camera toda with a roll of Kodachrome 40 in it for $7 to develop it in B&W, but the battery was popped and the camera ruined.

edit: There'a also a 2x MC teleconverter for $7.50. I'm going to pick it up on Saturday, not sure why I passed on it today.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 4, 2011

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Buy a Sony NEX and you can use those things on a modern digital with extremely little fuss.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I am inclined to agree. A generic image of a mass produced vehicle? Who gives a poo poo.

No one, except it happens to be a photo he took. It's his. And Gap stole it. Obviously, there are issues with that regardless of how ordinary the photo looks.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Yeah you guys are right. Who gives a poo poo. It's just a photo of a car. I'm sure everyone of you wouldn't give a poo poo if it was your image.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

Whitezombi posted:

Yeah you guys are right. Who gives a poo poo. It's just a photo of a car. I'm sure everyone of you wouldn't give a poo poo if it was your image.

If anyone should be upset, it's Jaguar. The print shows nothing of the photo's original artistic merit. I understand copyright, but poo poo.

This is another matter entirely.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mannequin posted:

No one, except it happens to be a photo he took. It's his. And Gap stole it. Obviously, there are issues with that regardless of how ordinary the photo looks.

"Stole" implies motive. You have no evidence of this. Like I said, they could have easily contracted out to a designer who used the photo as source image and had no idea it was taken without permission. Or the CEO of Gap could have saved the photo off Flickr and photoshopped it himself. You don't know, but to accuse them of stealing just because it's a big corporation is unfair. How would they check to make sure it wasn't stolen? "Oh, let me just look for frontal images of Jaguars on the Internet and make sure it doesn't match any of them."

Whitezombi posted:

Speaking in hypotheticals on an Internet forum is completely meaningless, but I honestly would not care. I'd probably post "holy poo poo gap used my photo for a shirt" on my facebook and buy one and wear it for a while and then not care. But then I'm not a professional photographer and this isn't my livelihood so it's irrelevant.

I think it would have been nice if they asked permission, but seriously, artists use source photos for their art all the time. Some cite the source, but a lot don't, and it probably only gets noticed a fraction of the time especially if they alter it in some way. For example, if the artist had repositioned the window glare, then nothing would separate his frontal shot of the Jaguar with anyone else's. Then nobody could claim anything was copied, even though it totally was.

quote:

Now this is hosed up.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 4, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

"Stole" implies motive. You have no evidence of this.

My evidence is the t-shirt itself. You can't just say that looks like any generic E-type Jag. It's the same photo. They used it without permission. That's called theft. Now whether or not they can get away with it legally because of 'artistic interpretation' or whatever, I don't know. But it doesn't make it right.

Speaking in hypotheticals on an Internet forum is completely meaningless, but I honestly would not care. I'd probably post "holy poo poo gap used my photo for a shirt" on my facebook and buy one and wear it for a while and then not care.

I seriously doubt that.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

How would they check to make sure it wasn't stolen?

By using an image they do have the rights to exploit commercially, and not one their lazy designers googled?

It doesn't matter if you think it's a generic image, clearly if Gap is willing to put it on a t-shirt it has value.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

brad industry posted:

By using an image they do have the rights to exploit commercially, and not one their lazy designers googled?

It doesn't matter if you think it's a generic image, clearly if Gap is willing to put it on a t-shirt it has value.

This, working as a designer with my previous company, we refused to work with clients that either didn't us give access to their stock photo library, or at least allocated some budget for us to purchase some.

Most of our larger clients actually had huge libraries of stock photos, though. The progress of getting the actual hi-res photo out of them is head-ache inducing, but not really part of this discussion.
So, I must say I'm surprised GAP doesn't seem to have such a library at ready.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Unregistered = sue for actual damages (economic loss)
Registered = sue for actual damages and statutory damages. Statutory is similar to punitive, in that it's there to punish, but it's more fixed.

http://www.photoattorney.com/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Buy a Sony NEX and you can use those things on a modern digital with extremely little fuss.

I bought an adapter for $8 on eBay and use it on my Olympus E-420 with no fuss. Focal range and metering is fine although perhaps not without issues. An MD 50mm 2.0 and an Oly 28mm 2.0 focuses slightly past infinity, the 135mm is fine at infinity but I think it might not focus to its closest distance - I haven't measured, just going by eyeball and the distance markings. They all tend to underexpose a bit at the widest apertures. Either way, it's fun to get very useful, high quality optics for practically no money.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

torgeaux posted:

Unregistered = sue for actual damages (economic loss)
Registered = sue for actual damages and statutory damages. Statutory is similar to punitive, in that it's there to punish, but it's more fixed.

http://www.photoattorney.com/

Actually unregisted you can sue for actual PLUS a punitive punishment. Otherwise they would always just go for it, hoping they don't get caught, if they do, they just pay the amount they'd have to anyway. The punitive amount isn't as much as registered, but it is more than just actual damages. It has a cap I believe.

brad industry posted:

+1

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

If anyone should be upset, it's Jaguar. The print shows nothing of the photo's original artistic merit. I understand copyright, but poo poo.

That is almost an identical situation. Picture is lifted and edited to make it look generic then printed X number of times without paying for the image.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

Now this is hosed up.

Why is this different?

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 4, 2011

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

Whitezombi posted:

Why is this different?

It might not be in a legal sense, you're right. But there is an artistic Grand Canyon between the two.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
LOL. What a great description.

craigslist ad posted:

The scratches and scuffs on the camera are artificial...I deliberately scratched it when traveling overseas to deter theft. It has never been dropped.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pho/2197001030.html

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
You Goons probably already know about this, but there is a treasure trove of old camera stuff on the Goodwill website.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listbycat.asp?catid=170

You'll have to wade through poo poo, waist deep, but there are some gems to be had. Before the site got as popular, Nikon prices were flat, three and four dollars for an N8008 with a 50mm f1.8. Now, anything with a Nikon lens is always bid up, but you can still get some great bargains on old glass.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Just a warning: these links contain images of two kids getting hit by a car. They lived and everything, but it's kind of distressing.

This is kind of hosed up.

This photo in the Boston Globe Year in Photos:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/2010_in_photos_part_3_of_3.html#photo20
is captioned: An Israeli motorist runs down a masked Palestinian youth who was standing among a group of youngsters throwing stones at Israeli cars on October 8, 2010 in the mostly Arab east Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan. (ILIA YEFIMOVICH/AFP/Getty Images)

This is kind of bullshit. If you watch the video of this incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwDt8C4LVU it's pretty clear to see that the motorist was trying to get out of there, and starts driving away, initially swerving out of the way of the people throwing rocks at the car. It swerves back when it's about to hit the curb, and that's when it hits the kids, who are running directly at the car. As a photojournalist, the caption "runs down a masked Palestinian youth who was standing among a group of youngsters" is straight-up lying.

I'm not making any statements about the Palestinian - Israeli conflict, but to say a car is running down someone who was "standing among a group" is simply not stating the truth. Maybe the photographer was in shock when they wrote the caption; I know I'd be pretty messed up after witnessing that. But this caption clearly makes the insinuation that the driver purposely ran down this kid, and that kind of statement can't be made in this situation. It's violating journalistic ethics.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

Just a warning: these links contain images of two kids getting hit by a car. They lived and everything, but it's kind of distressing.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/2010_in_photos_part_3_of_3.html#photo20
is captioned: An Israeli motorist runs down a masked Palestinian youth who was standing among a group of youngsters throwing stones at Israeli cars on October 8, 2010 in the mostly Arab east Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan. (ILIA YEFIMOVICH/AFP/Getty Images)

This is kind of bullshit. If you watch the video of this incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwDt8C4LVU it's pretty clear to see that the motorist was trying to get out of there, and starts driving away, initially swerving out of the way of the people throwing rocks at the car. It swerves back when it's about to hit the curb, and that's when it hits the kids, who are running directly at the car. As a photojournalist, the caption "runs down a masked Palestinian youth who was standing among a group of youngsters" is straight-up lying.

I'm not making any statements about the Palestinian - Israeli conflict, but to say a car is running down someone who was "standing among a group" is simply not stating the truth. Maybe the photographer was in shock when they wrote the caption; I know I'd be pretty messed up after witnessing that. But this caption clearly makes the insinuation that the driver purposely ran down this kid, and that kind of statement can't be made in this situation. It's violating journalistic ethics.

I saw that and my rage is way up there...at the parents of the kid. Jesus, I'm not sure what the driver is supposed to do under those circumstances. I don't need to know what "side" is what, all I can see is the aggressor was the rock throwing mob.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

dakana posted:

Wow. There just happened to be 5-7 photographers there watching this go down?

That caption is BS.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The car also stops after it hits the kids, and doesn't start moving again until they have started moving. If the driver was just trying to plow through the kids then there was no reason to stop after he/she hit them.

E: That photo right below it is really sad.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

The caption is totally wrong, they're just playing popular middle eastern kid's game 'Rock, Speeding Car, White Phosphorus'. It's just like rock paper scissors except the Palestinian side is only allowed to pick rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
In that video, it looks like the kid doesn't want to go into the car. He's holding onto the car door resisting being taken away, at first I thought it was a medical transport, I guess its some kind of police?
edit: And whats with so many photographers being there? It's all very suspicious.