Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

peanut- posted:

He's not reading "trick" to mean a flick from the foot to the head or chest then.

'Trick' to me means 'method of fashioning an intentional back pass where normally the opportunity to legally do so would not exist', not in the sense of 'flick it up to head it' (though it covers both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

In regards to #3, if the player was literally on the ground like in the picture, I would give an indirect kick and a caution. In reality, to me, it is a judgement call and would be different in every situation it happened in. Same with #1. It depends on the body language and intent of the player and the circumstance it occurred in.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
A Very Special YATR this week:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
1) Well the whole of the ball hasn't crossed the whole of the line so I guess technically it's a free-kick, but I'd just give a penalty so I don't get called 'diabolical' on motd

2) Give the goal. It would have gone in if it was a real goalpost. Also fine the league for using goalposts that are a fire hazard. Seriously who still uses wooden goalposts

3) Go home. You don't get paid enough for this kind of hassle. On the way out march up to the press gantry and punch Gary Neville in the face one last time

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

SteadfastMeat posted:

1. Red card the defender for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Free kick on the edge of the box.

2. Might be asking for trouble allowing the goalposts to be manipulated this way, but I don't think you can give a goal here.

3. I don't think you can red-card substitutes, and yellows would be too soft for punches being thrown. Tell the managers that the offending substitutes will not be allowed on the pitch, and put their names in your match report to have them suspended.

edit- misread no. 2

atomic gog fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 4, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You can red card substitutes.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
In that case, send them all off for violent conduct.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Want the linesman as an av

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

Want the linesman as an av

here you go m8

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

cat scratch achiever posted:

here you go m8

I lol'd irl but that's actually the ref's assistant (fourth official? I think)

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

a beggar whose also a chooser, you say;

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

A greek god amongst men

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

needs a cock dangling in front of her face

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
1) I would say penalty. A keeper can handle the ball when it's on the line, so a foul there would be a penalty.

2) I'm stumped with this one. Don't think you can give the goal, but not sure what to do.

3) Send them off.

vvvvv :hfive:

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 4, 2011

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Is the first one not a penalty? If the ball is on the touchline not over it then it's in play, so surely if it's on the line of the penalty box it's in the penalty box?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The ball isn't considered to have passed from one area of the field to another until the whole of the ball is over the line, so it's still outside the box.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

sassassin posted:

The ball isn't considered to have passed from one area of the field to another until the whole of the ball is over the line, so it's still outside the box.

But by that if the keeper were to pick the ball up when it was on the line it would be outside of the box

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I think he's getting at it being dependent on the direction of the ball. I've never heard of that as a rule, but it might make sense. I would say it'd be given as a penalty, though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

JingleBells posted:

But by that if the keeper were to pick the ball up when it was on the line it would be outside of the box

:eng101: not if it were rolling out from inside the box

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

sassassin posted:

What makes you say this? It's my understanding that the line is part of the penalty area, in much the same way the touch/goal lines are part of the playing field.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jerkhammer posted:

What makes you say this? It's my understanding that the line is part of the penalty area, in much the same way the touch/goal lines are part of the playing field.

It's pretty much how the rule works on any part of the pitch. A ball rolling out of play isn't out of play until the ball is all the way over. Same for a goal. Most borderline decisions work on the same basis, with the ref/linesman giving the benefit of the doubt that way. A player getting hacked on the edge of the box is usually a freekick unless he's clearly all the way over.

No clue how it's written in the rulebook.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I see what you're getting at, but if an attacker is closing in on goal and the keeper dives at his feet, touching the ball with his hands when it's on the line, I think it would be legal?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mickolution posted:

I see what you're getting at, but if an attacker is closing in on goal and the keeper dives at his feet, touching the ball with his hands when it's on the line, I think it would be legal?

Legal to the extent that the ref probably wouldn't punish him for it, sure.

If the keeper took the man instead of the ball he'd probably give a free kick, though (after sending the keeper off)

Refs will usually go for the safer option. Lines are thin and the game moves fast. Who the gently caress knows really (please respond people who actually know not you Hackett you spaz)

edit: In your example the Ref could argue that the Keeper wasn't all the way over the line when he touched the ball in my fantasy nonsense rulebook.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

A player can be totally off the pitch but touch the ball to keep it in play, it's nothing like American sports.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Keeper's hands, then?

Who cares?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Who cares?

I think you're somewhat missing the point of YATR

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

Who cares?

It's all to do with where the ball is, rather than the player.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
If somebody commits a foul on the line, it is a penalty. It came up in a game some time in 2010.

1) Penalty and red card

2) My instinct is to play on but I'm really not sure why. I mean, play doesn't stop if the referee gets in the way of the ball because he's just part of the equipment, same goes for the post. Mention in your report that the home club needs to get better poo poo.

3) Send off the subs. Sheffield Wednesday had a player sent off after he'd been substituted a couple of years ago in the Steel City Derby.

edit: changed answer to number 2 to 'play on' because I misread the question and thought the ball had gone in off the post

Psybro fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 4, 2011

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
1. Penalty: The lines form part of the area (Very amused at the comments earlier about the lines changing purpose depending on which way the ball is going... WHAT?!). Also there is no 'rulebook'. Dismiss the defender for DOGSO.

2. EDIT: Oops, I misread this as the ball being deflected in! No goal as it never crossed the line etc so cannot possibly be awarded.

3. Dismiss the three substitutes for Violent Conduct.

Mewcenary fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 6, 2011

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Of course there's a rulebook? But yeah, the line counts as part of the penalty area so red card the defender and award a penalty.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

Of course there's a rulebook? But yeah, the line counts as part of the penalty area so red card the defender and award a penalty.
It's the Laws of the Game. Not Rules of the Game.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SteadfastMeat posted:

1. red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity and a direct free kick on the line

2. award the goal

3. send off everyone involved for violent conduct

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

2. Write to the FA asking them to adopt the hilarious NFHS carebear rule that allows goalposts to be padded.

(If anyone wants to see what football might be like if Americans had invented it, go to this PDF and check out page 12 or page 70, but don't blame me if it gives you a headache.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 4, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

1. Penalty and red card.

2. You cannot allow a goal when the ball did not enter the goal. I would probably award an indirect free kick from the spot of the foul to the attacking team and issue a yellow card for usporting behavior.

3. Send-off any and all players/coaches who struck another person. If there are no coaches left on a team and this is a youth game, abandon the game.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

1) Pelanty and a Red card, The line is part of the area and it's a clear denial of goalscoring opportunity.

2) No goal. Stop play to have the goal moved back into position, restart with a drop ball on the goal line just inside the post.

3) Send off all 6 subs. Depending on the severity of the fracas send off both managers and coaching staff, abandon game and have a cuppa.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I'm sure I've seen padded goalposts at some point in my youth, perhaps for indoors football.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1) On the line I'd think I'd give the free kick but it's probably a red.

2) No goal. Stop play if the ball is still in, fix the goalposts and start with a drop ball wherever the ball was when you stopped play or whatever throw in / goal kick / corner is appropriate if the ball had gone out.

3) Send them off.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
And here is Hacketts verdict:

Keith Hackett posted:

1) It's a penalty. On the line counts as part of the penalty area, so the decision is clear-cut. And, if you believe the defender has denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity, send him off.

2) Stop play. It may seem unfair, but you can't award goals out of sympathy: the only time a goal is scored is if the whole of the ball crosses the goalline between the posts and under the bar. So calm the players down, have the goal frame repositioned, then restart with a dropped ball on the six-yard line, parallel to the goalline, at a point nearest to where the player collided with the post.

3) Send off the six substitutes for violent conduct, making sure they leave the technical area, well away from the playing area. This does not change the number of players on the pitch, or the number of substitutions both teams can make: they simply have fewer options on the bench. Restart with a dropped ball and, after the match, request that the authorities view footage of the incident to be sure that all the guilty players were dismissed. Both clubs can expect further sanctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fairly simple one this week, confusion over exactly what the error is notwithstanding.

• Locked thread