Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Haraksha posted:

I'm at Ban's.

:clint:

Have fun... I don't like Ban's but the Fishbowl is pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

caberham posted:

My tuk tuk driver asked if I could spare 10 minutes of time and he would drive me to the tailor and then get a coupon for a free tuk tuk ride. I have taken a look inside the place and the salesmen are very aggressive. Cutting wise is not bad and the cloth selection is pretty wide. Too bad they don't have a colour swatch so you can't compare textiles too well.

A good tailor for a suit take 2 or 3 more reffittings. Regardless of what the salesmen say you should allocate enough time to get it right. Price wise if you picked a shirt extra, and 2 ties they can knock off 1000-1500 THB right off. They sell really aggressive and I don't like it too much. However, they promise to deliver it to your hotel which is a great bonus. If you are in the holiday mood and want a suit, go for it. Go see some touristy stuff near the old town and before you head back to khaosan or your hotel ask your tuk tuk for a FREE TRIP. He gets a gas coupon and bargain hard that you will buy something and he should give you a free ride in return.

tl, dr: Price wise for a suit it's not too bad. Hong Kong is slightly cheaper by 10% for the same fabric. Shop orders a bunch of lemmings in the countryside to get it done ASAP .

Thanks, but since we don't have enough time to go back a couple of times for a refit, I'm gonna try to persuade my brother to go do something else instead.
Also, I heard so much bad stuff about tailors in bangkok that now that I asked around that I really don't feel like taking the risk anymore.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
How is traveling solo through Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore?

I have almost a month of vacation I have been saving up and I can't seem to convince anyone to go with me during my sweet spot between graduate course semesters in August. Thinking of just doing it myself.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

How is traveling solo through Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore?

Absolutely ideal.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

Absolutely ideal.
Agreed. And provided you're not a total aspie you won't be traveling solo for long unless you want to.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Just finished ten days in Vietnam. Ho Chi Mihn, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay. WHAT A COUNTRY. The food, oh my god the food, I ate more good food in ten days in Vietnam then 6 months in Korea. If you get a chance to drink Huda beer I highly recommend it, it's fantastic, and I rather like Larue as well.

The weather was poo poo once we got out of Nha Trang, but got nice again in Halong. A friend got mugged by hookers in Nha Trang, and I got quite forcefully felt up, and literally got asked "I SUCK YOU LONG TIME GOOD PRICE". I just wanted to laugh but I was really drunk and didn't want to get robbed.

Long story short awesome awesome awesome country, spent the last night teaching Aussies and South Africans beer pong and flip cup while drinking unidentifiable alcohol from plastic buckets for 100000 dong each.

Going back as soon as is feasible.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Just finished ten days in Vietnam. Ho Chi Mihn, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay. WHAT A COUNTRY. The food, oh my god the food, I ate more good food in ten days in Vietnam then 6 months in Korea. If you get a chance to drink Huda beer I highly recommend it, it's fantastic, and I rather like Larue as well.

The weather was poo poo once we got out of Nha Trang, but got nice again in Halong. A friend got mugged by hookers in Nha Trang, and I got quite forcefully felt up, and literally got asked "I SUCK YOU LONG TIME GOOD PRICE". I just wanted to laugh but I was really drunk and didn't want to get robbed.

Long story short awesome awesome awesome country, spent the last night teaching Aussies and South Africans beer pong and flip cup while drinking unidentifiable alcohol from plastic buckets for 100000 dong each.

Going back as soon as is feasible.

To just give a different perspective on Vietnam. I met up with two of my best friends in Thailand who just spent 9 days in Vietnam. They intended to arrive in Thailand earlier but due to extreme food poisoning in North Vietnam both of them spent 4 days in some makeshift hospital that they were lucky to get to just in time. When I say extreme I mean puking up blood extreme. They were just lucky to get out of Vietnam alive. So I guess everyone has a different story. Their advice to me was to not eat food by any rivers in North Vietnam, just stay out of North Vietnam in general. They liked Ho Chi Minh City though.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Your friends should just stay locked in their rooms.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm not gonna say that it's not dangerous. gently caress, I nearly got mugged by hookers in Nha Trang. But use common sense, don't travel alone after dark, don't go into dangerous areas alone or after dark, don't carry what you don't need (You don't need a wallet, don't need a cell-phone, just cash).

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOOSE BOWELS
I'm going to book a hotel for my first couple nights in Bangkok because I'll likely be jet lagged, miserable, and possibly sick so I'd like a couple nights in a hotel to decompress before I find a guesthouse and start roughing it a bit more. Plus I get in at 1 AM on my first night and don't want to deal with finding a guest house then.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not looking to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or anything, was more thinking 3-4 star for under 1000 baht/30 dollars a night. I'm checking out kayak.com and there certainly seems to be an abundance of hotels but it's hard to tell just how accurate the descriptions are and I don't want to find out my hotel blows rear end as I'm arriving in the middle of the night on a weekend.

Anyway, if anyone has a place they've stayed which they recommend (or, just as important, a place they stayed that was complete crap) I'd appreciate a heads up one way or the other. I will likely book through F^2 and ask his opinion too but I thought I'd ask you guys for help narrowing it down first.

For what it's worth, I'm mainly looking for a decent, (relatively) quiet, private room preferably with its own bathroom. Wifi (or at least in-room corded internet) would be a serious bonus too. A pool would probably be nice but certainly not necessary. I'm not trying to stay too close to Khao San but something relatively central or at least near public transport would be nice.

Thanks!

E: Even if you don't have specific place names any general tips (such as "stay away from X district" or "Y alley by Khao San is far enough away to be quiet at night but near enough to walk to the action") would be appreciated too.

BigSuave fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 6, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Steve. posted:

:clint:

Have fun... I don't like Ban's but the Fishbowl is pretty good!

It was OK.

I was kinda disappointed in Ko Tao, though. It was advertised as really off the beaten path, but it was mostly just an inconvenient place to see a lot of hippies. I felt more like I was in Europe than in Thailand.

At the end of the trip, a guy from Texas overheard my friends and I talking and just wanted to see proof that there were other Americans on the island.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Haraksha posted:

It was OK.

I was kinda disappointed in Ko Tao, though. It was advertised as really off the beaten path, but it was mostly just an inconvenient place to see a lot of hippies. I felt more like I was in Europe than in Thailand.

I'd never really heard it described as off the beaten path, just as a great scuba/snorkeling destination. I mean yea it's more lowkey than Koh Phangan (haad rin anyways) and less touristy than Samui but I only stayed as long as it took to finish my scuba course. I would have been bored stiff otherwise.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It was the impression my friends got from wikitravel and their guidebook. It was certainly a beautiful place, but it wasn't what I was looking for in an island resort. I did get really, really drunk with some Europeans though.

All in all, Thailand was a very different experience from other Asian countries I've been to. I didn't really get to see much of it, and I suspect what I did see was specifically designed with foreigners in mind, but I never felt like I was in a "foreign" country the way I did in Japan, Korea, or Taiwan.

It was cheap. I got some cool souvenirs. The food was amazing everywhere I went. The people were all friendly. But everyone I met was a tourist.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haraksha posted:

It was cheap. I got some cool souvenirs. The food was amazing everywhere I went. The people were all friendly. But everyone I met was a tourist.

Yeah, that's mostly because you were in tourist areas, and tourism is such a big industry there. If you want to go off the rails, just rent a motorbike somewhere and go riding. Iisaan (the northeast) is basically one vast podunk, tourist-free haven.

MA-Horus posted:

I'm not gonna say that it's not dangerous. gently caress, I nearly got mugged by hookers in Nha Trang. But use common sense, don't travel alone after dark, don't go into dangerous areas alone or after dark, don't carry what you don't need (You don't need a wallet, don't need a cell-phone, just cash).

I've heard this a couple of times about Nha Trang, they should probably have one of those yellow diamond-shaped signs with the outline of a swarm of roving prostitutes to warn the tourists off.

North Vietnam is blessedly free of that sort of poo poo, although the touts in Sapa (tourist trap town) are pretty annoying.

BigSuave posted:

I'm going to book a hotel for my first couple nights in Bangkok because I'll likely be jet lagged, miserable, and possibly sick so I'd like a couple nights in a hotel to decompress before I find a guesthouse and start roughing it a bit more. Plus I get in at 1 AM on my first night and don't want to deal with finding a guest house then.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not looking to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or anything, was more thinking 3-4 star for under 1000 baht/30 dollars a night. I'm checking out kayak.com and there certainly seems to be an abundance of hotels but it's hard to tell just how accurate the descriptions are and I don't want to find out my hotel blows rear end as I'm arriving in the middle of the night on a weekend.

Anyway, if anyone has a place they've stayed which they recommend (or, just as important, a place they stayed that was complete crap) I'd appreciate a heads up one way or the other. I will likely book through F^2 and ask his opinion too but I thought I'd ask you guys for help narrowing it down first.

For what it's worth, I'm mainly looking for a decent, (relatively) quiet, private room preferably with its own bathroom. Wifi (or at least in-room corded internet) would be a serious bonus too. A pool would probably be nice but certainly not necessary. I'm not trying to stay too close to Khao San but something relatively central or at least near public transport would be nice.

Thanks!

E: Even if you don't have specific place names any general tips (such as "stay away from X district" or "Y alley by Khao San is far enough away to be quiet at night but near enough to walk to the action") would be appreciated too.

I've stayed at A-One Inn, which is a five minute walk from National Stadium BTS and maybe 7-10 from Siam Square proper. It was like 750/night, and they've got wifi if you don't mind paying extra. Nothing special as far as character or friendliness, but a pretty good deal for the location.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that place.

I never got clarification on the textbooks from you; did you get that sorted? Or was it that you need books to go from Thailand to the US, in which case I won't be much help for several months. If you do need to get them from US -> Thailand though I might have a little more room than I initially thought so let me know.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BigSuave posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that place.

I never got clarification on the textbooks from you; did you get that sorted? Or was it that you need books to go from Thailand to the US, in which case I won't be much help for several months. If you do need to get them from US -> Thailand though I might have a little more room than I initially thought so let me know.

Nah, it's just Thailand to US. I should find out in the next two months if I get the job I'm going to be interviewing for on the 17th, and if that's the case I'll finally be able to ditch my Thai study... so here's to hopin' :toot:

I actually am getting together some stuff (not a ton) to send to Ringo R, but it seems iffy I'd be able to get it to you Priority before you leave, and I don't want to put you out or anything. I'll just send it regular airmail when the time comes.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Nah, it's just Thailand to US. I should find out in the next two months if I get the job I'm going to be interviewing for on the 17th, and if that's the case I'll finally be able to ditch my Thai study... so here's to hopin' :toot:

I actually am getting together some stuff (not a ton) to send to Ringo R, but it seems iffy I'd be able to get it to you Priority before you leave, and I don't want to put you out or anything. I'll just send it regular airmail when the time comes.

Aah, gotcha. Well good luck with that.

Yeah, probably not enough time to get things here via Priority unless you are relatively near Seattle. If it's anything available via Amazon Prime I could probably get that to him though. Dunno what kind of stuff you're sending but I thought I'd throw that out there because yay for free 2-day shipping.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Haraksha posted:

It was OK.

At the end of the trip, a guy from Texas overheard my friends and I talking and just wanted to see proof that there were other Americans on the island.

It's changed a lot even over the past four years since I first visited. Sairee and Mae Haad are turning in to mini Phuket shitholes, though thankfully they're still free of an obvious sex industry and pushy touts.

Some of the smaller beaches are more off the beaten path, but probably still infested with dirty hippies.

There are a lot of Europeans there, but I found plenty of people from elsewhere - Canada, USA, fellow Australians, New Zealanders, and whatever. Overwhelmingly European, though.

I don't know if I like Koh Tao as much as I used to. I will go back to do a dive master (well, dive controller) course but if it were a long term work-in-diving-industry proposition, Khao Lak would be my first choice. That's overwhelmingly German, though.

Maybe it's time to head to Lombok or Pulau to go diving instead!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've heard this a couple of times about Nha Trang, they should probably have one of those yellow diamond-shaped signs with the outline of a swarm of roving prostitutes to warn the tourists off.

Dear mother of god, I want this now.

"WARNING: Bitches leave."

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just a heads up on the little slapfight between Cambodia/Thailand - not that I think anyone would be headed there, but Preah Vihear/Prasat Phra Wiharn is currently the site of some minor clashes between Thai and Cambodian troops. More relevantly, tensions between the two countries are running high, so if you're in Thailand it'd be tactful to leave your Cambodia t-shirt in the laundry bag, and vice-versa, and just generally be discreet when it comes to talking about the matter/other country with local people. AFAIK the borders at Poipet and Ko Kong are still open to travelers.

Preah Vihear is actually pretty cool if you're not all templed-out by Angkor, it's definitely worth seeing when things calm down. A lot easier to get to from the Thai side, and there's some other cool stuff to see and do in that part of Iisaan (plus everything isn't overrun with foreign tourists, if that's your thing).

Preah Vihear by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Preah Vihear by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Sovereignty by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Son is a really neat temple complex as well, about an hour outside of Nha Trang. Americans bombed the poo poo out of it in the 60s because VC were hiding there, so there's lots of craters and poo poo, and some of the temples are flattened, but it's still very pretty.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I may stand corrected: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/440987-thai-cambodia-border-close-indefinitely-as-conflicts-continue/

It looks like Poipet is open, but the article seems to contradict itself about the Trat/Ko Kong one. Plan accordingly, I guess.

Laos is pretty nice this time of year, just sayin' :v:

spotswood
Feb 25, 2006
gary
If you're planning on going to ko tao then i would recommend staying somewhere on the southern part of the island. at night have a declicious barbecue on the beach, meet some people and then get drunk at night with the scuba instructors at the Buddha bar. Talk to the drunkest guy there... he is an American divemaster with blond hair and will buy you tequila shots.

I've been travelling for a month now. Koh phangnan, Koh tao, Ao nang, ko phi phi, Koh lanta, Bangkok, Chaing Mai, and just got to Laos. So far Koh tao has been my favourite place.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Yeah, I don't know who would ever refer to Koh Tao as off the beaten track. Less built up than Phuket, Samui and Phangan, but still a lot of tourists. Way more fun than the other major islands though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I gone bitches. Get in to BKK (the new one...) on the 11th. SA won't see much of me for the next month because I'll be hosed if I'm typing in that password any more than I have to and I'm not bringing my laptop.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Why Sheep-Goats is probably already married to someone from Yetsatorn or something and is currently eating ant egg salad on the ceremonial stage while karaokeing to some look toong. It is the 11th after all!

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin
Hi guys and gals,

A group of four of us are heading to Phuket Island in early May where we will be departing for a bike tour of Southern Thailand. I've been preparing a map of sorts that passes through some towns that may or may not be of interest to us. Keep in mind that of the following places, none of us have ever visited them apart from Phuket Island. In order of destination the places of interest are as follows:

Phuket Island
Pak Nam - should be Pac Man :)
Tab Teing
Satun - the town within the Province
Hat Yai
Bo Yang
Nai Muang
Surat Thani - once again the town not the Province
Takua Pa
Back to Phuket Island

Back in December i rode around Phuket Island for 8 days and loved it (technically half the island). This time im looking to find a mix between the tourist and rural areas. I have deliberately excluded the provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat due to the ongoing violence in those areas. I know there have been some bombings in Hat Yai but i think our mode of travel (bike/scooter) is more likely to result in injury than our destination of travel.

What i wanted to ask the wonderful members of SA is; Have any of you had any experience with the aforementioned areas of Southern Thailand and do you have any recommendations including additional places of travel (or excluding any places)?

Here is the link to my trip in Google maps: http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?h...69,8.442993&z=8

Cheers

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
If Takuapa is like the rest of Khao Lak, it'll be incredibly boring but very beautiful off shore. Otherwise, it's missable. I drove through it several times, and can barely remember it..

I'd make time to visit Khao Sok and do one of the two day/one night packages that involve staying in a raft house on the lake. Good times.

I was there only a couple of months ago but I'd happily go back now; it's a beautiful place.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 12, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hey all!

I'm a Junior at a US college who studied abroad last semester in northern India and taught English for two months to a class of Tibetan Buddhist monks and loved it so much that I want to do English teaching for a year or more after I graduate.

I am eying Thailand as my number one spot for teaching English abroad and will try to win a Fulbright ETA grant to teach there. If I don't get it, I would be more than happy to try other alternatives in east and (especially) south-east Asia.

In addition to my other courses and my experience with the Buddhist monks, I was able to formally study Tibetan Buddhist philosophy while I was in Dharamshala/McCleod-Ganj and, while I still consider myself to be an atheist, I really have a deep fascination with Buddhism and Buddhist cultures. I'm also madly in love with the whole "throwing myself into a different culture and radically shifting my perceptions of the world" thing. Thailand is also the number one place on my list to visit in general and to trek in. I'm also interested in learning more about the current political issues between Buddhist Thais and Muslim Malays and the Red Shirt movement which I only very briefly researched and wrote about before.

What are some programs available to teach English in Thailand or elsewhere in south-east Asia? What are other good alternatives to Thailand (eg Vietnam, Cambodia, etc) as additional back-up plans to Thailand? I'm also looking at options in Japan and China as well as further back-ups to my back-ups. I would (ideally) like to get to other countries like Bhutan and Nepal in the (long-term) future as well.

Essentially, what would you guys recommend for someone like me?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 11, 2011

chockomonkey
Oct 14, 2004
anyone know any sweet programs in south-east asia where you can either volunteer/teach/?? and either get paid a small amount or have boarding or something else taken care of?

What's the cheapest way to get back to SEA? >_>

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

chockomonkey posted:

anyone know any sweet programs in south-east asia where you can either volunteer/teach/?? and either get paid a small amount or have boarding or something else taken care of?

What's the cheapest way to get back to SEA? >_>

It's not too hard to put together a DIY volunteer thing in Cambodia for free (pretty chill about visas there), might get room covered and a meal or two, but don't expect any money. There are also some opportunities for teaching English short term (a few months at a time or longer) at refugee camps on the Thai/Burmese border, I think they pay for room/board but it's a pretty modest standard of living. In general, unless you have some specialized skills you will be teaching English as a volunteer everywhere.

Depending on how much time you are (and assuming you're American) you can look into that Fulbright teaching thing or the Peace Corps. Neither pay particularly well, but it won't be the probable black hole on your resume that just going over there and teaching English on your own would be.

OrangeGuy posted:

Hey all!

I'm a Junior at a US college who studied abroad last semester in northern India and taught English for two months to a class of Tibetan Buddhist monks and loved it so much that I want to do English teaching for a year or more after I graduate.

I am eying Thailand as my number one spot for teaching English abroad and will try to win a Fulbright ETA grant to teach there. If I don't get it, I would be more than happy to try other alternatives in east and (especially) south-east Asia.

In addition to my other courses and my experience with the Buddhist monks, I was able to formally study Tibetan Buddhist philosophy while I was in Dharamshala/McCleod-Ganj and, while I still consider myself to be an atheist, I really have a deep fascination with Buddhism and Buddhist cultures. I'm also madly in love with the whole "throwing myself into a different culture and radically shifting my perceptions of the world" thing. Thailand is also the number one place on my list to visit in general and to trek in. I'm also interested in learning more about the current political issues between Buddhist Thais and Muslim Malays and the Red Shirt movement which I only very briefly researched and wrote about before.

What are some programs available to teach English in Thailand or elsewhere in south-east Asia? What are other good alternatives to Thailand (eg Vietnam, Cambodia, etc) as additional back-up plans to Thailand? I'm also looking at options in Japan and China as well as further back-ups to my back-ups. I would (ideally) like to get to other countries like Bhutan and Nepal in the (long-term) future as well.

Essentially, what would you guys recommend for someone like me?

As far as programs I don't know, beyond the Fulbright thing you are applying for, and the Peace Corps (which is a two-year commitment). You can show up in pretty much any country and get a job teaching, although you won't have a lot to show for it by the end in most cases.

Cambodia is pretty relaxed about visas and teacher standards, but it doesn't pay terribly well. Vietnam is currently (I think) the best in the region as far as pay and cost of living. Some travelers knock Vietnam but I personally found people there to be really friendly and no "worse" than Thais as far as ripping foreigners off or otherwise hassling you. As far as language, Indonesian and Malay are far and away the easiest to learn (no tones, western alphabet, and Indonesian is a constructed language based on Malay, designed to be as easy as possible to learn, basically SEA Esperanto). Laos is probably my favorite country to visit, but pay is probably worse than Cambodia and living there is probably a bigger adjustment than most people would be willing to make.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I gone bitches. Get in to BKK (the new one...) on the 11th. SA won't see much of me for the next month because I'll be hosed if I'm typing in that password any more than I have to and I'm not bringing my laptop.

Will be directing everyone in this thread to mainland China while your guard is down!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Want to teach in SEA, or China :neckbeard:

If you guys are interested in teaching in Shenzhen(next to Hong Kong) China, there's a program called CTLC. http://www.chinaprogram.org/

The only requirement is having a degree and there are around 100ish spots every year. Plane ticket is reimbursable at the end of the year and the pay is decent (6k-7k RMB? + year end completion bonus) for the amount of work needed (11-17max). It is a city wide English teaching program. It ranges from elementary to seniors. Accommodation is included but most of the time its in campus. The nice thing about the program is that there is a bubble of foreigners for you to cling to. You probably know this but living abroad for work is much different from traveling. You might get home sick during Christmas, the constant amount of foreign food, inexistent deodorant, the lack of socks, and the accumulation of other small things make live living abroad difficult.

Shenzhen is next to Hong Kong so it is very convenient to fly to other SEA countries (Air Asia!).

tl, dr: http://www.chinaprogram.org/ 7k/month/11-17hrs with accommodation teaching in Shenzhen for a year.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

caberham posted:

tl, dr: http://www.chinaprogram.org/ 7k/month/11-17hrs with accommodation teaching in Shenzhen for a year.

The site looks kinda sketch. Is this a program you have experience with?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My Ex girlfriend which is on her 2nd year :negative: Instead of flying to Japan for the Chinese New Year holiday, I was planning on spending Valentine's Day with her :qqsay: MY VACATION :emo:

There are 2 sketchy things part of the program. Chinese Class curriculum is a joke and turns out to be more of an excuse for the teachers getting a free ride to the city centre. The experienced coordinators are supposedly mentors/monitors/holy poo poo help I punched a police officer help me staff but don't expect too much help from them.

And it may be a frustrating experience because some schools are just lovely schools. Cambodian kids just astound me. Their level of English is infinitely better and can guilt trip tips carry a basic conversation where as most East Asians with years of English schooling(I'm pointing at you Japan!) can barely utter a sentence.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
edit: yeah, the level of bootstraps Cambodian kids exhibit is loving phenomenal. In 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the head of the UN was a former Cambodian street urchin.

eviljelly posted:

The site looks kinda sketch. Is this a program you have experience with?

Heh, obvious China-n00b spotted. :smugdog: That website is actually pretty good for China.

Peking University (in Beijing), where you do the training, is pretty much the Harvard of China.

Thanks for posting that caberham, may apply for that as a fallback. Looks like applications are due at the end of March. I know you live in HK, how true is it that Shenzhen is a Mandarin-speaking city? I did a semester in Beijing, but aside from a two week uni internship out in Qinghai I don't have much China experience outside of that. Would I be getting exposed to a lot of hosed-up flipper-baby Chinese?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Since Shenzhen was one of China's first get rich quick hodgepodge cities, there are immigrants from all over the country. Hence, Mandarin is widely used. But don't expect people with Harbin voices :smith: It's Mandarin with a huge southern accent, dropping h's and lots of f's when it is supposed to be h.

If you really want to improve your Chinese, you can request staying at one of the outer districts and be exclusively with locals. With your China hard experience the job should not be too hard to get for you. With over 100 people every year, there are a few daddy's girl/spoiled brats/neck beards (oh god)/JERSEY SHORE PARTY TIME who just flake out in the middle of the year so I think you can get the job if you want. Just don't be "that guy".

I'm not exactly sure what a hosed up flipper baby Chinese is but my impression that most Chinese kids are pretty sheltered and :emo: Some kids are really smart and bright so you would have a easier time teaching at a better school, but the returners get first dibs on what they want. I don't know the head national coordinator but I can ask around the prospects of getting hired.

You should come to Shenzhen if you don't know what to do! We can dork out with cameras.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

Since Shenzhen was one of China's first get rich quick hodgepodge cities, there are immigrants from all over the country. Hence, Mandarin is widely used. But don't expect people with Harbin voices :smith: It's Mandarin with a huge southern accent, dropping h's and lots of f's when it is supposed to be h.

If you really want to improve your Chinese, you can request staying at one of the outer districts and be exclusively with locals. With your China hard experience the job should not be too hard to get for you. With over 100 people every year, there are a few daddy's girl/spoiled brats/neck beards (oh god)/JERSEY SHORE PARTY TIME who just flake out in the middle of the year so I think you can get the job if you want. Just don't be "that guy".

I'm not exactly sure what a hosed up flipper baby Chinese is but my impression that most Chinese kids are pretty sheltered and :emo: Some kids are really smart and bright so you would have a easier time teaching at a better school, but the returners get first dibs on what they want. I don't know the head national coordinator but I can ask around the prospects of getting hired.

You should come to Shenzhen if you don't know what to do! We can dork out with cameras.

I'll keep it in mind, I'd love to go back to the PRC but the lovely pay is kind of a non-starter for me now :-\ (Looking at Taiwan or maybe a private company in Japan if JET doesn't work out.) Do you know if the program minds if you moonlight somewhere else or pick up private students on the side? I would be interested to hear how selective it is, at any rate. Shenzhen would be pretty cool to live in - an Air Asia flight away from lots of neat stuff in SEA, plus the chance to buy a 200cc Lifan enduro and tool around the countryside on weekends. (Is Shenzhen one of those dick Chinese cities when it comes to motocycles?)

Oh, the flipper-baby thing was a kind of obscure colloquialism, was asking if Shenzhen Mandarin was really weird. Hopefully there aren't any actual flipper-babies in Shenzhen from the factories and whatnot :ohdear:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this is derailing about teaching in Shenzhen than being info about SEA. The nice thing about shenzhen is that it is only a night train ride away from Guilin and Yangshuo. Pretty cool karst mountains!

YangShuo Black and White 2 by caberham, on Flickr

With some pretty interesting villages

*****teacher stuff****

The main city centre of shenzhen do not allow any bikes but the out skirts outside of the Shenzhen Economic Zone (SZE) does not seem to care. But do know that the outside of the SEZ is kind of like an industrialized Poipet. PRC pay is not the highest pay and this program is more like a foot in the door into PRC. However, moonlighting tutoring gigs and weekend/night teaching can earn you a decent amount of money and sometimes even more than salary (7k) if you are willing to sacrifice your free time/social life. Extra work often gets introduced to you by your school or program wide email. The closer you are to the city centre, the easier it is for you to get extra work. However, that means no motorcycles :( I don't know how much Taiwan pay is but being a JET can be expensive and not allow you to save much.

If you really want money, then I suggest you bring some sort of skill set and work for a private company. Teacher pay is teacher pay. Unless you are an international school teacher. CTLC is good more of a "I don't want to work too hard" gig.

The program itself is supposedly somewhat prestigious or selective in the East Asian Studies circles but that I do not really know for sure. Even with its so called rigorous process there are a few who slip through the cracks... Most of the teachers are actually fresh-off-the-boat-new-to-china college graduates so you have been around SEA you should be able be accepted (personal opinion). If you don't mind, you can PM your skill set or what you are looking for. Perhaps I can ask around and see if there's any employment opportunities in Hong Kong. Might be a long poo poo since droves of Americans and Canadians are coming to SEA to flee the recession.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Anyone visited the Stung Meanchey garbage dump in Phnom Penh before? I'm in the city now and would like to check it out as well as volunteer for a day or two before moving on. So if anyone has any information about this stuff it'd be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pompous Rhombus posted:

edit: yeah, the level of bootstraps Cambodian kids exhibit is loving phenomenal. In 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the head of the UN was a former Cambodian street urchin.
Could not agree with this more. I am utterly dumbfounded when I meet these kids and I feel compelled to buy them dinner just to talk with them because they know so much and are so multilingual. I understand why, but I enjoy talking to them about it to try to understand what the actual journey is like. They're easily the most impressive kids I've ever met given their circumstance.

Then I remember I'm a 36 year old white guy sitting at a table full of Khmer kids that I'm talking to and I pay the bill quietly and quickly shuffle out the back door before some NGO reports me to the State Department for a crime I didn't commit, heh.

Laopooh posted:

Anyone visited the Stung Meanchey garbage dump in Phnom Penh before? I'm in the city now and would like to check it out as well as volunteer for a day or two before moving on. So if anyone has any information about this stuff it'd be greatly appreciated!
Dammit, I don't. I met a group of really cool Christian missionaries at the FCC bar one night who spend their entire year organizing events to fund schools for those kids and then come over to help them and build schools a couple times a year, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Maybe Google around? Like most Christian missionary outfits, it's American and they're on the web I'm sure.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 12, 2011