Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

What in the blue gently caress. I feel like I should do a ride-along some time and learn all the secrets to finding these deals.

Well, the more people you have looking for you the better. Some of the deals have been found by friends who forward me CL links when they know I'm looking for bikes. The 320$ 250 was one of those. I scan local forums, local craigslists pretty regularly, at least once a day. I finally set up an RSS feed to my iphone for my local craigslist so when I'm bored I'll check that.

The dirty secret is misusing craigslist. Post up an ad in the For sale section that says you're looking for a bike for a project bike for xxxx$ or less. I had half a dozen offers from my last ad that I posted. The last couple of offers were a Eliminator 250 for 850$(Running, non-op, cosmetics plus odds and ends), a 84 Sabre for 1000$ (Running, registered, good shape), and a BSA 250 for 1000$ (in pieces but complete), as well as the F2 I ended up buying. He didn't actually suggest a price, just a few lines in an e-mail about the bike and wondering if I was interested, we went back and forth for a little bit, I offered 500$ after a picture, and he accepted. Turns out he lived 3 blocks from me, so I went over, picked up the bike, and chatted with him for a bit. Nice guy, he was happy with the deal, I was happy with it. I'll send him pictures once it's all cleaned up.

They usually get flagged after 3-4 days, but I don't really care, saves me taking them down.

The other thing is...vever treat anyone on CL like a scammer until it's confirmed, and never go out of your way to meet up with them, they fit in your schedule not the other way around. My ZX6R sold to a french guy who was visiting the states for school. Skype phone number, bad grammar/spelling, difficult to get ahold of, from San Diego when I'm in Santa Barbara...as it turns out, he took the train 8 hours to come pick up the bike with 3500$ or so in cash, sight unseen, based off of 2 phone conversations we had. You never know...

You might also have to call repeatedly to actually get the bike. 250 guy was like that, really difficult to get ahold of, and I was trying to schedule a time to come get it like crazy...if you want deals you need to be ready to get on the phone with someone and be out the door if they're available now. Doesn't hurt to be a little pushy about it, if they suggest this evening or 4PM on sunday I'll try and get them to meet me sooner, there's a thousand people out there with stories about how they arranged to meet on sunday and the bike got sold to someone with cash in hand for less money on saturday.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

They usually get flagged after 3-4 days, but I don't really care, saves me taking them down.

Strange, this is common practice on my local Craigslists, they never get taken down :smugdog:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

Strange, this is common practice on my local Craigslists, they never get taken down :smugdog:

Santa Barbara is filled with white people with nothing better to do than rage about flagging. There have been people trying to have a conversation through ads in the motorcycle section about flagging assholes and it's hilarious. Of course, they're all getting flagged :xd:

Edit:
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcd/2197410085.html

Puzzle? More like you are a p.o.s. COWARD posted:

I just DONT LIKE PEOPLE like you that are overly eager flaggers and are so self riotous.

What an idiot you are. DON'T make any mistake about it, I don't care about them. In fact, last time I went into their shop I got crappy service and havn't been back since. And I don't give a poo poo if anyone on here shops there.

Ahh, yes, the self riotous flaggers.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 4, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Ahh, yes, the self riotous flaggers.

To be fair, it seems like all CLs attract these people. I can't find it, but there was a post complaining about the prices of some guy's junkers, saying that he was taking up valuable space.

A rant post complaining about sale ads clogging up the for sale pages.
:ughh:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
What's the secret to selling for big bucks?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2197709579.html

(Someone please buy my GS)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

What's the secret to selling for big bucks?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2197709579.html

(Someone please buy my GS)

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332028

If that were my bike to sell, I'd sell the luggage with mounting racks seperately on ADV rider (if possible), same with the shocks, and then list the bike for 4200$ minus what you got for the upgrades.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332028

If that were my bike to sell, I'd sell the luggage with mounting racks seperately on ADV rider (if possible), same with the shocks, and then list the bike for 4200$ minus what you got for the upgrades.

Everyone keeps telling me this, but given that I got zero response from here, CL and BARF over several weeks trying to sell a BRAND NEW ohlins SV650 shock for $200 less than retail, I'm skeptical.

(P.S. That loving thing is still in my garage somewhere too I think)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Bunway Airlines posted:

I do often complain to Conan about how some guys are assholes to me when we're at the track.

That sucks, in what way? My girlfriend comes to the track with me to shoot photos and just kind of watch the events unfold, and everybody always was nice to her and complimented the fact that she was willing to go out to a "boys' event." She even got a moped to borrow for scooting around!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

Everyone keeps telling me this, but given that I got zero response from here, CL and BARF over several weeks trying to sell a BRAND NEW ohlins SV650 shock for $200 less than retail, I'm skeptical.

(P.S. That loving thing is still in my garage somewhere too I think)

Retail is around 1000$ on those, right? I'd figure the value of one that's been installed on a bike is about 600$. Maybe as low as 400$ in today's market and considering that gen 1s are getting really long in the tooth. Everyone wants a deal these days, and you can get 20% off from just about any store out there for a shock that's brand new in the box.

SVRider is the place to sell SV parts, btw. I hate that site but it's a huge market of SV owners.

If you want I can make a thread for it and probably get it sold. I've got a good amount of trader rep on that site from parting out SVs.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Wait how is that thing a 96? Honda came out with the F3 by 1995....

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That sucks, in what way? My girlfriend comes to the track with me to shoot photos and just kind of watch the events unfold, and everybody always was nice to her and complimented the fact that she was willing to go out to a "boys' event." She even got a moped to borrow for scooting around!

It wasn't an issue when we went to Salt Lake City, I think it's the worst in CA. I'm also not a very typical girl, I often joke that I'm secretly a man and some guys who are insecure around forward women don't like me. I also ride and I think that sometimes changes things. I can't tell you how many blank stares I used to get when I had the Z1000. "Do you ride?" "Yeah I have a Z1000 right now" :stare: Can anyone explain that? My friend Tori (who some of you will meet at the upcoming track day says "It's because chicks on liter bikes are hot". Well thanks Tori, but I suspect something else is going on ;)

The worst experience I had actually was when I volunteered for a local race weekend championship. I have never encountered so many unfriendly people in my whole life. I was doing registration (the first person they had to interact with that morning) and people wouldn't even say "Hi" or "How's it going" or even look at you sometimes. It could have been race day anxiety/competitiveness coming in early but I don't really think that is an excuse for basic politeness. The girl doing registration with me had been volunteering for years so a lot of the guys knew her pretty well. However, there was one glaring difference between the two of us: she was very pretty, aggressively marketing her cleavage and winked/kissed at/flirted with every dude who came through under the age of 50. She had also recently gotten engaged and the drama surrounding that was worthy of :rolleyes: I've never seen so many guys desperately falling over themselves to get her attention. Not to go all feminist up in here but I clearly wasn't worthy of their basic attention because I wasn't putting myself on display. That was just one experience, and maybe that was just that group: people weren't friendly to Conan either that weekend.

Also, most events I go to are AFM races and the atmosphere there is very different. It's not your small gathering of friends just having fun at the track, but rather many guys who think too highly of themselves running around and trying to be important. Don't get me wrong, I think that 90% of AFM racers I've met are pretty nice guys who are super friendly and are just there because they love racing. The other 10% are pretentious douche-bags who think they're hot poo poo and then go home with their tail between their legs at the end of the day when they've come in dead last :xd: Racing is a very humbling experience and the guys who come rolling in with their brand new lifted truck and fulled modded brand new CBR or whatever with a smug look on their face are usually the first to end up on their rear end. Coincidentally, these guys are also usually the unfriendly ones.

Sorry for the long rant, I think there's a lot of factors that come into this, my personality and background being a big one. I'm very happy to talk with people and get to know them but I'm also not going to fall all over you for attention. For the upcoming track day I'm just going to go with my own thing, I'll be the one with the cowboy hat and grill :clint:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

infraboy posted:

Wait how is that thing a 96? Honda came out with the F3 by 1995....

Yeah you got an F3 Z3n, if it's a 1996 vehicle. F2's were from 1991 (?) to 1994, with 1994 being the year they added a remote reservoir for the rear shock, aluminum passenger peg brackets, and cartridge forks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I checked the title, it's actually a 94. The guy had the year wrong. Should have double checked earlier :v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I checked the title, it's actually a 94. The guy had the year wrong. Should have double checked earlier :v:

Not quite the $500 buy you thought, eh? :colbert:

seroiusly buy the goddaamn :colbare: emote I really wanted to use it there :saddowns:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Img tags work fine in the middle of sentences, newb.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So I got to the F2 this weekend. I checked and the tank was rust free, and the gasoline hadn't turned to varnish. I pulled the carbs, 1 pilot jet was clogged, 2 were cleared with compressed air, and one was clear. No varnish in the carbs or gunk in the petcock. I think the PO must have run the bike dry before parking it, because nothing else really makes sense.

I went to the dealership, bought plugs, oil, filter, and a new battery, installed the plugs and the battery, and it fired up. It smoked a bit from sitting, but cleared up after a minute or so and settled into a nice idle. I rode it over to TarzanPuma's place on a quick shakedown, shot the poo poo with him for a bit, and the headed home. On the way home I fell into temptation and attempted to clutch up a wheelie but instead ended up doing a half block rolling burnout because the tires are so toast that the bike lights the rear at any provocation.

I knocked the dirt off of it and took this picture:

Today I'm dropping into the DMV to register it. I've got a fresh chain on order for it (the current one is so shot I'm afraid to do any more riding on it), and a new right side clipon to replace the somewhat bent one. Besides that, it's pretty much good to go. I'll list it for 1950$ and hopefully get somewhere close to that, the bike's in drat near perfect condition for a 17 year old supersport.

Retsalb
Feb 6, 2011

by Ozma
Why sell it? Besides the well documented and easily fixable stator issues, it's a really, really solid and well handling bike. Reasonable fast too. I'd prefer this bike over your GSX-R, but that's probably just me. It could be a very reliable daily drive. Sell the car instead ;)

I understand that you need new tires. Judging from your pictures (I might be wrong here) you currently run 160 rear, right? Try a 170/60/17 instead, it'll clear just fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DMV went smoothly. Appointment means I'm in and out in under 15 minutes, which is nice. Got the appropriate sticker and hopefully the title will show up shortly so I can list it on CL.

Retsalb posted:

Why sell it? Besides the well documented and easily fixable stator issues, it's a really, really solid and well handling bike. Reasonable fast too. I'd prefer this bike over your GSX-R, but that's probably just me. It could be a very reliable daily drive. Sell the car instead ;)

I understand that you need new tires. Judging from your pictures (I might be wrong here) you currently run 160 rear, right? Try a 170/60/17 instead, it'll clear just fine.

Money. Can't turn down earning a grand or so for a few hours of work. Thanks for the reminder on the stator, I need to check that and make sure it's in good shape. The GSX-R can't be street legal so there's not many concerns for comfort there. The car is for the wife for work, I have the truck for getting the racebike to and from the track, so there's no option for selling either. I much prefer commuting on my bicycle, keeps me in shape and is a nice way to start and end the work day.

I was super impressed with the chassis, even on tires that are completely toast. I'll be taking it up to a friend's motorcycle get together next weekend, I'm pretty sure it'll be about the perfect bike for that. In the huge stack of tires you see, I've actually got a set of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas that'll fit (120/160, the rear was originally for the DRZ, glad I didn't toss it out...). I've also got a chain on order, and before it gets listed for sale I'm tearing it down and cleaning EVERYTHING. Also need to change the oil, although it's probably fine judging from the dipstick.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Is one of those bad boys my old front tire?! :swoon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Is one of those bad boys my old front tire?! :swoon:

That was a dragon supercorsa. I'm pretty sure it went with the wheels :(

Retsalb
Feb 6, 2011

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Thanks for the reminder on the stator

No problem ;) If it's not already fixed, it'll remind you itself.

Z3n posted:

Money

I know it's a cruel world world out there, but seriously. This is a bike you will regret flipping. Sell some organs instead.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Retsalb posted:

No problem ;) If it's not already fixed, it'll remind you itself.

I know it's a cruel world world out there, but seriously. This is a bike you will regret flipping. Sell some organs instead.

No, it's a very fair point. It is an excellent motorcycle. That just means I'll hold out for top dollar on it though. I'm in no rush to sell, I'll enjoy it for as long as I can, and the money will go towards probably another long term bike...

Edit: And despite being a honda, it doesn't leave me with bloodied hands when I work on it, which is nice. :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 8, 2011

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Retsalb posted:

My car is way cooler and I don't like this bike; it's old and stupid :colbert:

Conan and I just don't like riding supersports on the street. Too uncomfortable over long distances :(

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Bunway Airlines posted:

My car is way cooler and I don't like this bike; it's old and stupid :colbert:

YOU ARE OLD AND STUPID!!!

:(

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!
drat you two have been busy. Eliminated some bikes and gained a new one. I should be coming down in two weeks. Hopefully we can hang out and I can check out the new pretties.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheFonz posted:

:(

HEY SETTLE DOWN THERE BUDDY

It's actually not old and stupid. I quite like it, but she's a hater. :shobon:

Arcane posted:

drat you two have been busy. Eliminated some bikes and gained a new one. I should be coming down in two weeks. Hopefully we can hang out and I can check out the new pretties.

Which weekend? If it's the weekend after president's day, I might be out at Kevin's bachelor party but Kristin will be around. Also, a duck.

Edit:

Swapped the tires out on the F2, that went smoothly. What didn't go smoothly is figuring out why the gently caress the battery is dead. It's on the charger now, hopefully I just got a bad battery, but otherwise :argh: Honda electronics. The battery was completely, utterly flat dead, so I'm thinking that it's probably a short somewhere. :sigh:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 9, 2011

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

TheFonz posted:

Your butt is old and stupid :colbert:

It's a fine bike, I just never cared for the supersports. The older ones were awesome for their time and even still cool today, but I'm just a supermoto girl.

Arcane posted:

OHOHOHOH COME VISIT ME WE CAN PAINT OUR NAILS AND TALK ABOUT GIRL THINGS!

Or maybe we can ride motorcycles and laugh at boys ;)

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!

Z3n posted:

Which weekend? If it's the weekend after president's day, I might be out at Kevin's bachelor party but Kristin will be around. Also, a duck.

I guess technically it's next weekend. Feb 18-21. oh yes! DUCK!

Bunway Airlines posted:

OHOHOHOH COME VISIT ME WE CAN PAINT OUR NAILS AND TALK ABOUT GIRL THINGS!

Or maybe we can ride motorcycles and laugh at boys ;)

Yes to both please! Also I've been craving pistachios. You guys have a farmer's market on the weekends right?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

What didn't go smoothly is figuring out why the gently caress the battery is dead.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Normally I'd immediately point a finger at your R/R since my F2 had a complete poo poo R/R, but you definitely know when that fails because the stator cooks the battery and it smells like the world's worst fart emanating from your seat area.

Too predictable man, too predictable. I like how these bikes have such a glaring weakness that you can basically predict that no matter how good shape it's in, it'll have charging issues.

Could be worse though. This was the melted remains of my hackjob R/R compliments of the PO of my F2:

:ughh:

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 9, 2011

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Arcane posted:

I guess technically it's next weekend. Feb 18-21. oh yes! DUCK!

Yes to both please! Also I've been craving pistachios. You guys have a farmer's market on the weekends right?

Well we'll be here Saturday for sure :) We have a trackday Sun/Mon and then we're getting the duck Tuesday so you'll just miss her :(

There are excellent pistachios at the farmer's market here. The Saturday morning one is the biggest in the area and there's a nut guy there :parrot:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Confirmed this morning that the CBR has a charging issue, as well as potentially some form of parasitic loss. :negative:

Hopefully it's just a wiring problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Honda build quality! :parrot:

The r/r on this bike is insanely tiny. It's no wonder they fail all the drat time.

I'm just going to wire in a new r/r and hopefully it'll be up and running later tonight :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha, -same- thing happened to my F4i. Only much worse. It involved flames.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Honda build quality! :parrot:

The r/r on this bike is insanely tiny. It's no wonder they fail all the drat time.

I'm just going to wire in a new r/r and hopefully it'll be up and running later tonight :)

Are you sure it's because the R/R is tiny, or is the ground maybe really inadequate? My buddy fixed a melted harness near the R/R on his TLR. The problem was the bike had a single ground for the entire wiring harness.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

SUZUKI!! :argh:

oh wait

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

Are you sure it's because the R/R is tiny, or is the ground maybe really inadequate? My buddy fixed a melted harness near the R/R on his TLR. The problem was the bike had a single ground for the entire wiring harness.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because the R/R is tiny. There's a couple of grounds in the system. Plus it was torched on one of the AC lines from the stator. I swear to god if you curse me on this though I will never forgive you. :v:

sirbeefalot posted:

SUZUKI!! :argh:

oh wait

Yeah where is that guy anyways? :xd:

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahaha, -same- thing happened to my F4i. Only much worse. It involved flames.

Same thing happened on my 929. I fixed it the same way, by wiring in a Kawasaki R/R. :laffo:

Old and busted vs. new hotness:

Getting 14v at the battery at 5k now :) Chain should be in tomorrow. :w00t:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that a Kawi R/R? What's the deal with the wiring doing the swap?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that a Kawi R/R? What's the deal with the wiring doing the swap?

Yeah, ZX10 R/R. Wiring's exactly the same, 3 AC in, ground and charging line out, honda ground is green, kawi one is black, the hot wire is red on both. I wired it in directly because the connector was already torn up and this way it's highly unlikely that resistance will build up again and cause another failure.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Clearly Kawasaki parts are the best and most reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit:Nevermind

• Locked thread