Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

MMAgCh posted:

This definitely was not the case for me – having completed the game (with all pieces collected), the armour wasn't available when I unlocked Open Air Parking, though I did have to destroy the helicopter three times before it finally took.

I really think it's just completely random whether the game deigns to recognise any given achievement or the Abyssal Armour unlock.

Yeah, that could be the case, for some reason it decided to not notice I collected the Tremor Gauntlet...I mean, you need that to get the drat game finished, and I don't have the achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

zxqv8 posted:

Yeah, that could be the case, for some reason it decided to not notice I collected the Tremor Gauntlet...I mean, you need that to get the drat game finished, and I don't have the achievement.
After finishing Darksiders, I was missing no less than four achievements that technically are impossible not to get (Tiamat, Chaos Form, Abyssal Chain, Chronosphere). It's a great game, but its Steamworks implementation really is not that hot, and it's pretty sad that THQ/Vigil haven't been supporting it at all.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
It's probably a long shot but does anyone have tips on how to handle Drankensang: The river of time ?

I never played this series of game and so I created a warrior. I gained a level but I have no idea where to put my levelling points.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Anything for Jade Empire?

I'm playing on the PC with the 'extra stuff' that I guess the Steam version includes if that matters at all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm playing on the PC with the 'extra stuff' that I guess the Steam version includes if that matters at all.

Your enjoyment of the combat will go up immensely if you don't think of it as an action-RPG but instead think of it as traditional RPG gameplay in real-time. If you're expecting a brawler you'll hate it, if you expect a Bioware RPG with real-time combat you'll probably like it more.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CaptainPsyko posted:

As always with Bioware games, you want to go good or evil all the way for the best benefits, and your ending will depend on one endgame decision. (you may be initially fooled into thinking that they're doing an ME style "not exactly good and not exactly evil" thing. That's 100% false)

Gamebreaker styles: Jade Golem, Mirabelle, sperging by alternating the paralysis style with a damage dealing style, pausing and switching every few seconds.

Check the cemetery in the capital very carefully - there's a sword or staff upgrade hidden in an inconspicuous spot, and those are quite rare.

If you're a dude and you want to bang another dude, avoid expressing interest in any girls.

Like in 90% of the quests where the option is available, if you can avoid a resolution or delay it (like if you're asked to give someone flowers and have to choose between giving them cheap flowers right now or going to look for more expensive ones) you should do so, because the reward will be better.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I asked in the Steam thread, but just in case anyone here knows: How am I meant to avoid the souls that this guy fires at you when you kill enemies near him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQMjmXf_a8&feature=player_detailpage#t=60s

They home in on you, and I'm not sure what the best way to avoid them hitting you is.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's a Bioware RPG. From this, we can extrapolate...

• Nosing around gives you bonus points, so much so that it's pretty much required.

• You will have a motley band of companions. Talking to them will give you rewards. If you do 'evil' stuff, some of them will bitch and moan, but you can ignore that. You can boink about half of them, including the same sex.

• :nws: Gut-wrenchingly bad fan fiction will be written about boinking your companions.

• There will be a puzzle based on combining primary colors into secondary ones.

• There will be another puzzle based on getting a group of people to make up their minds about something.

• You can be good, evil or neutral, which determines which video plays at the end, but most people you meet don't give a poo poo. You get special abilities for being good or evil enough, so there's no reason at all to be neutral.

• As a final kick in the nuts, the last decision you make gives you so many good or evil 'points' that all your previous choices are irrelevant.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Coulis posted:

It's probably a long shot but does anyone have tips on how to handle Drankensang: The river of time ?

I never played this series of game and so I created a warrior. I gained a level but I have no idea where to put my levelling points.

I guess this means the game finally came out in English, unless you are some sort of Ger-Man.

As someone who has never played this game but loved the first one in the series and bought the table-top books out of obsessive fanhood, I think you should focus on raising whatever combat skills seem most useful if you are going to play a warrior. As in, if the game is throwing one-handed swords at you, just keep raising your one-handed swords skill. There is no harm in keeping the points around, either; the more you have, the easier it is to drastically fix a shortcoming once you notice it (like if you keep getting tripped in combat, you can suddenly raise your sturdiness or whatever the trait was that helps resist that; willpower?).

In the first game, most people agreed you could not get by without magic, so try to recruit a useful magician wherever you can find one (assuming the game still has party dynamics). Still, I personally, said "I hate you, conventional wisdom" and stuck to my character-personality-favoring party of three fighters and a rogue, and still made it through with only a few big problems, so your mileage may vary.

Also please tell me if the game is awesome. Not that you have played the first one to compare.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Your enjoyment of the combat will go up immensely if you don't think of it as an action-RPG but instead think of it as traditional RPG gameplay in real-time. If you're expecting a brawler you'll hate it, if you expect a Bioware RPG with real-time combat you'll probably like it more.

The Towers of Hanoi are in there somewhere, but not till the endgame.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Quarex posted:

I guess this means the game finally came out in English, unless you are some sort of Ger-Man.

As someone who has never played this game but loved the first one in the series and bought the table-top books out of obsessive fanhood, I think you should focus on raising whatever combat skills seem most useful if you are going to play a warrior. As in, if the game is throwing one-handed swords at you, just keep raising your one-handed swords skill. There is no harm in keeping the points around, either; the more you have, the easier it is to drastically fix a shortcoming once you notice it (like if you keep getting tripped in combat, you can suddenly raise your sturdiness or whatever the trait was that helps resist that; willpower?).

In the first game, most people agreed you could not get by without magic, so try to recruit a useful magician wherever you can find one (assuming the game still has party dynamics). Still, I personally, said "I hate you, conventional wisdom" and stuck to my character-personality-favoring party of three fighters and a rogue, and still made it through with only a few big problems, so your mileage may vary.

Also please tell me if the game is awesome. Not that you have played the first one to compare.

I don't know if it came out in England, but it sure did in France. :)

Ok, then I'm going to follow your advices. I was going to put points in 2H Swords because I started with one but now it seems that most merchants & quest rewards give you a 1H Sword and Shields. So...

Graphics are nice, the story seems enjoyable and Das Schwarze Auge appears too be a nice heroic fantasy setting. I'm sold on this one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
About to start Dragon Quest 8 and its the first DQ game I've played. Any advice?

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Any tips for the first Assassins Creed? Thanks!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

AuntJemima posted:

Do the bare minimum amount of side missions needed or you'll go crazy.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

Volitaire posted:

About to start Dragon Quest 8 and its the first DQ game I've played. Any advice?

The hero's Courage skill eventually gives you an ability to avoid enemy encounters for a while, it's very useful when exploring since you don't see enemies on the map.

Before a boss, have some of your non-casters carry some healing items instead of dumping them all in the bag. Also put all your money in the bank since you lose half of it when you die.

Psyche Up is powerful if doing a multi-hit attack, but not too great if your just gonna single target attack twice.

More advice here: http://anthonyhobday.com/misc/wsik/index.php/Site/DragonQuest8

lactomangulation fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 4, 2011

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

AuntJemima posted:

Collecting flags gives you nothing (well ok, achievement if you're on a console).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've changed the address in this quote, but could you edit the address in your post?

That hosting is actually my old hosting, so something could happen to it at any point that would render the address useless.

I changed it a while ago to:

http://anthonyhobday.com/misc/wsik

or

http://ahobday.com/misc/wsik

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
You don't need to do all the investigations. Try them for the heck of it, but there's literally no reward for doing them all. Not even an achievement. Chances are the extra info it gives you about your target will be useless anyway.

As for collections, there is a website with a full map and checklist for everything, but like the other poster said, it's really not worth it.

Get through it. AC2 and Brotherhood are awesome and worth your time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OilSlick posted:

Get through it. AC2 and Brotherhood are awesome and worth your time.

I should also point out that AC2 is a HUGE improvement over AC1. This comes from someone who hated AC1 and found AC2 to fix all the right things. I haven't played Brotherhood yet but the series found the right track.

Echoing that one should just ignore the side mission stuff in AC1. Just play the storyline so you're up to speed for AC2.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I should also point out that AC2 is a HUGE improvement over AC1. This comes from someone who hated AC1 and found AC2 to fix all the right things. I haven't played Brotherhood yet but the series found the right track.

Echoing that one should just ignore the side mission stuff in AC1. Just play the storyline so you're up to speed for AC2.

It really is astounding how much better AC2 is over the first game. Brotherhood is great too (I really love how they improved the combat system) though I think some of the missions are a step backwards from 2. They seemed to have a lot more missions where you have to either tail someone (who's walking very slowly) or remain undetected, where getting seen fails the mission. Those were the absolute worst types of missions in AC2, but they used them sparingly. I found that there were noticeably more of them in Brotherhood, which was annoying, but overall it's still an excellent game. Definitely worth buying if you liked 2.

So yeah, if you find AC1 boring, wishing it were better, just put it down and play 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd just like to pound in the fact that you really should skip the side poo poo in Assassin's Creed 1. I did all the Eagle vision sights (I forget what they're called) and all the townspeople missions and it was such a slog. I have no idea why I bothered.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Gynovore posted:

Don't hoard cash, there's nothing big to buy.

You are also rolling in money, all of the time, to the point where you're constantly turning down cash because your wallet is maxed out at $500. Unless your aim is terrible and you keep wasting ammo, I guess. Then you may spend a lot on buying it back.

But generally, in Bioshock, the wrench is the best weapon if you use all the tonics for it. The guns are kind of situationally helpful.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Speaking of DQ games, I'm about to start Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation I've played all the other DQ games (even 7), is this one any different? I had heard that it was made by a different developer but also that it's pretty much Dragon Quest III:2 in terms of gameplay/mechanics.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Speaking of DQ games, I'm about to start Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation I've played all the other DQ games (even 7), is this one any different? I had heard that it was made by a different developer but also that it's pretty much Dragon Quest III:2 in terms of gameplay/mechanics.

The gameplay isn't too much different than VII, except it's not super long. You don't register your party like in III or IX, but you can have anyone become any class. You can recruit monsters though- I never bothered with them and some of the good ones are rare.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Just grabbed King Arthur - The Role-Playing Wargame for cheap on steam, any tips? Heard it's possible to gently caress you up badly if you make some wrong moves.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
A specific question about Final Fantasy IX, just wondering who the ideal characters are to have in my party. I'm not too used to each character having a defined role and am not too sure on which party can be handy in most situations, i'm thinking Amarant, Steiner, Vivi and Zidane but that leaves me without a healer...

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kid Moe posted:

A specific question about Final Fantasy IX, just wondering who the ideal characters are to have in my party. I'm not too used to each character having a defined role and am not too sure on which party can be handy in most situations, i'm thinking Amarant, Steiner, Vivi and Zidane but that leaves me without a healer...

Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, Dagger covers all your bases.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Kid Moe posted:

The game gives you plenty of items so you can survive without a healer, and I am pretty sure Amarant has a healing ability anyway. If it matters that much though switching out amarant for dagger (if you like summons) or eiko (who gets holy, which has a blissfully shorter animation then summons) is as balanced of a party as you can get. (also freya is interchangeable with stiener since late game magic sword loses its punch compared to other abilities, and jump is always useful). Quina is very good if you bother to put in the effort to get him/her the right abilities but i never bothered.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Coulis posted:

If it's like the original Drakensang, magic blows. Just load up on fighters with a healer in the back row.

Also, prepare to be really bored.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Just grabbed King Arthur - The Role-Playing Wargame for cheap on steam, any tips? Heard it's possible to gently caress you up badly if you make some wrong moves.

I don't know if this is the right way or the wrong way, but this is the situation that I've found myself in. I focused heavily on Archery, and auras for my heroes. Then I'd hide archers in nearby forests and devastate everything. Now enemies are casting magic that wipe out my units in less then a minute. Oops.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SpazmasterX posted:

Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, Dagger covers all your bases.
You could switch Dagger with Eiko and a Holy boost item, along with the other details said before.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Clever Spambot posted:

Quina is very good if you bother to put in the effort to get him/her the right abilities but i never bothered.

If you're giving Quina a try, immediately open up a blue magic guide for him/her and start on it, do not try and grind it out later. There's actually some very powerful abilities like Lvl-5 Death and Mighty Guard that you can pick up very close to the Marsh Quina appears at.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Groselgar posted:

If you're giving Quina a try, immediately open up a blue magic guide for him/her and start on it, do not try and grind it out later. There's actually some very powerful abilities like Lvl-5 Death and Mighty Guard that you can pick up very close to the Marsh Quina appears at.

I hate to tell people to go to guides but seriously, I don't know how they expect you to find some of the blue magic spells. Same for Enemy Skills in FF7. One in FF7 involved you having to get a monster to cast a healing spell on you, there's no way I would have ever figured that out.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Not only that, but the "good old" days of beatng an enemy down, eating it, and seeing "Taste Bad!" pop up and turning my PSX off right that second. :suicide: Blue Magic is fun and useful, but gently caress the hoops you have to jump through for it.

Anyway, I'm starting to play Breath of Fire IV for the first time, any general tips?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Picked up Tales of the Abyss after getting all excited for Graces F. I was always told Abyss is the better of the two PS2 Tales games. So, any tips or things I should definitely know about while I play through this?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I hate to tell people to go to guides but seriously, I don't know how they expect you to find some of the blue magic spells. Same for Enemy Skills in FF7. One in FF7 involved you having to get a monster to cast a healing spell on you, there's no way I would have ever figured that out.
That goes for every Blue Mage spell in every game that uses it. It is not simple like Leap that has a list of what you know, or that scan can do a lot more than being so limited.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anything I should know about Yakuza 3?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Twitch posted:

Anything I should know about Yakuza 3?

You can solve all your problems with a little diplomacy. Fist diplomacy.

Be sure to get the special moves from revelations as soon as possible, when you're first in Kamurocho, you'll meet with a friend. you need to take him to a special place, be sure to talk to everyone you can talk to to get direction to said place. The game doesn't tell you outright to go there and it's a side-quest, but it'll give you lots of XP.

You need to have tokyo issowan or something like that (it's a magazine) in your inventory (that is, not in storage) if you want to get the 4 secret food items in Kamurocho. You can get it in a convenience store.

Don't bother buying jewelry or with the Heart meters with dates, those functionalities were removed during the localization.

You will probably hate minigames if you're a completionist.

This is basically an RPG with Beat-em up levels instead of RPG battles.

The items that let you cheat in gambling games? you can get one or two at most, at specific places. Be sure to use them only when you can bet the max amount or it's a waste.

Keep restoratives on you at all times. They sort of break the game in how potent they are.

Pliers have 2 heat actions. one as a counter (press triangle when an enemy is trying to punch you) and one as a finisher on an enemy on the ground. Both are quite gruesome.

If you see a piece of rope, try grabbing it and using a heat action from behind an enemy.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Should I just force lightning my way through Force Unleashed 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Skeezy posted:

Picked up Tales of the Abyss after getting all excited for Graces F. I was always told Abyss is the better of the two PS2 Tales games. So, any tips or things I should definitely know about while I play through this?

The Tales series is well known for missables. There is one point in the game that you exit an area at a "Spring". Check back at that spring after every plot point for a side quest that starts off most of the later game sidequests. After a certain point, you can't start that quest again.