Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

CSammich posted:

Also the baby who complained about it would be blacklisted, so that would be fun.
I was joking, but in all seriousness it's absolutely horrid that this type of bullying and intimidation is permitted in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Knowing about stuff like wrestler's court made RAW a few weeks ago where King was denouncing the merit of group hazing so much more funny.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Isn't alot of that nonsense pretty much a thing of the past now? Guys like Miz and Cena have talked about how different the locker room is in present day compared to the past and with Undertaker out in long stretches from injury/being broken, Benoit being dead and JBL being retired it seems as if alot of the backstage bullies are no longer there. Add some of the older guys leaving/being released/retiring and alot of new younger talent mixed in and it'd probably be different from those days.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is it too late to agree that there was absolutely nothing the least bit funny about the Arn Anderson impersonation? Not that I really know anything about CSammich, but his(?) avatar combined with my knowledge that Kevin Nash is actually capable of being funny made me assume that it would be hilarious and people were just not understanding.

But, no. Literally painfully-unfunny-in-all-ways unfunny. When was that impression from, anyway?

Edit: I suppose to be fair I should mention that Nash at least looked amazing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Arn Anderson had to pull out of the War Games match due to injury, and gave his spot on the 4 Horsemen team to Curt Hennig. It was a very emotional promo and it really emphasized how important he felt the spot was.

So of course the next week the NWO does a spoof of it the next week to suck all of the emotion out

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Quarex posted:

Is it too late to agree that there was absolutely nothing the least bit funny about the Arn Anderson impersonation? Not that I really know anything about CSammich, but his(?) avatar combined with my knowledge that Kevin Nash is actually capable of being funny made me assume that it would be hilarious and people were just not understanding.

But, no. Literally painfully-unfunny-in-all-ways unfunny. When was that impression from, anyway?

Edit: I suppose to be fair I should mention that Nash at least looked amazing.

It was a shot at Arn. I hate Arn.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

This is the first time I've ever seen someone say they hated Arn Anderson.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is the first time I've ever seen someone say they hated Arn Anderson.

My best friend needs to go on Maury and find out if his real father is either Brooklyn Brawler, Tommy Dreamer or Arn Anderson.

If it's Arn, I'm sure he'll both love and hate him at the same time.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

ChampRamp posted:

arnandersonspinebustertoundertaker.gif

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Arn ruins every DVD he's been in by talking in kayfabe, gently caress Arn Anderson.

And it was funny. Although the funniest part was hearing about Arn act like a baby about it.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Arn ruins every DVD he's been in by talking in kayfabe, gently caress Arn Anderson.

I'd like to think that Ric Flair has been pranking Arn his whole wrestling career into thinking it's all real, and everyone else just follows along with it when he's around.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
the most offensive wrestling impersonation was easily oaklahoma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTji6GP_ZAM

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Sugar Blaster posted:

Was there a reason besides the general WWF/WCW rivalry that Ferrara and Russo wanted to do this?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is there a reason for anything Russo does?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Captain Charisma posted:

What he didn't tell say is that the check was for $-95,000. Jericho just never realized it.

This reminds me of something I read once (maybe in the whole sleaze list so it could be fake?) that when WCW had action figures, it was set up so that if someone bought a Jericho or whatever lower carder figure it'd actually register as a sale of a figure of Hogan and other guys like that thus loving the lower carders out of royalties.

On the flipside, I heard that in one of the two pack figures it was Cena and Funaki of all people. Apparently Cena insisted that Funaki's figure get that spot because it'd mean more money for Funaki.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Suben posted:

This reminds me of something I read once (maybe in the whole sleaze list so it could be fake?) that when WCW had action figures, it was set up so that if someone bought a Jericho or whatever lower carder figure it'd actually register as a sale of a figure of Hogan and other guys like that thus loving the lower carders out of royalties.

On the flipside, I heard that in one of the two pack figures it was Cena and Funaki of all people. Apparently Cena insisted that Funaki's figure get that spot because it'd mean more money for Funaki.

I believe that was in A Lion's Tale, but I could be wrong.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Suben posted:

Cena is a ridiculously great person

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'd like to think that Ric Flair has been pranking Arn his whole wrestling career into thinking it's all real, and everyone else just follows along with it when he's around.

It's a running joke with my friends that in a world of OTT people in general that Arn Anderson's gimmick is just someones dad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sugar Blaster posted:

This is tangential, but why is there a shot of a man whacking a blue furry creature with a broom? The announcers imply that that's Madusa, but in none of the other footage is she a neon yeti so I'm confused.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

And it was funny. Although the funniest part was hearing about Arn act like a baby about it.

Who the gently caress cares? When you buy a WWE DVD you are pretty much getting kayfabe. You are getting their version of the history of a company, person or feud that doesn't match history. So who cares if Arn Anderson is keeping kayfabe? In a way that is more real. You are at least getting the character's thoughts on the real fake world on screen rather than fake words on the real world.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I will never be able to hate Arn Anderson. Even when I was a young kid and was the markiest of marks I still knew that he was one of the best in the ring and on the microphone. He looked like a regular dude but could kick rear end like a legend.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is tangential, but why is there a shot of a man whacking a blue furry creature with a broom? The announcers imply that that's Madusa, but in none of the other footage is she a neon yeti so I'm confused.

She always had ridiculous fur coats that quite often were red, white and blue. But in that video it does look like he's hitting a muppet or something.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
Silly "barely related to Arn Anderson" Arn Anderson story.

When I was like 10, my dad took me to a WCW house show. At the time, my dad bore a striking resemblance to Arn Anderson, who was booked at that show. We get the entrance of the floor seating section, and the usher just starts staring at my dad. My dad then goes, "Don't worry. I know where I'm supposed to go," and we walked off to our seats.

What I'm saying is if you hate Arn Anderson you apparently hate my dad, and they're both cool dudes, so gently caress you.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

savinhill posted:

Was there a reason besides the general WWF/WCW rivalry that Ferrara and Russo wanted to do this?

Ferrara and Russo clashed a lot with JR in his role as head of talent relations, behind the scenes at WWF. Russo just couldn't understand how someone could be so serious about wrestling.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Ferrara and Russo clashed a lot with JR in his role as head of talent relations, behind the scenes at WWF. Russo just couldn't understand how someone could be so serious about wrestling.

add them to the list of JR haters. Haters for passion! At least Johnny Ace hate is justified.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Who the gently caress cares? When you buy a WWE DVD you are pretty much getting kayfabe. You are getting their version of the history of a company, person or feud that doesn't match history. So who cares if Arn Anderson is keeping kayfabe? In a way that is more real. You are at least getting the character's thoughts on the real fake world on screen rather than fake words on the real world.

It's irritating as gently caress. Hearing Ric Flairs dogsbody talk like wrestling is real is just awful. He's also a petty mother fucker if you believe dirtsheets.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He also was pissed at them saying that he had a drinking problem and it was personal. Also what do they say about him being petty? Arn Anderson is awesome and that is just the way that he thinks of the business, that it should be treated as real.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

What exactly is happening with Nigel McGuinness/Desmond Wolfe/whatever? I only ask because I'm someone who follows wrestling but not religiously - I watch it when it's on and I'm awake - but when Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson debuted on NXT I saw posts talking about his matches with Nigel McGuinness, so I looked them up and they were really good, and he seems like the type who should be a bigger name than he is. He's not tiny, isn't poo poo on the mic, and is a good wrestler. And English, so sort of like Wade Barrett minus some mic skills but plus a lot of pro wrestling skills. He doesn't seem to be doing anything in TNA and his wiki is just confusing so I'm just wondering what the deal is? TNA being TNA?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lionel RichTea posted:

What exactly is happening with Nigel McGuinness/Desmond Wolfe/whatever? I only ask because I'm someone who follows wrestling but not religiously - I watch it when it's on and I'm awake - but when Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson debuted on NXT I saw posts talking about his matches with Nigel McGuinness, so I looked them up and they were really good, and he seems like the type who should be a bigger name than he is. He's not tiny, isn't poo poo on the mic, and is a good wrestler. And English, so sort of like Wade Barrett minus some mic skills but plus a lot of pro wrestling skills. He doesn't seem to be doing anything in TNA and his wiki is just confusing so I'm just wondering what the deal is? TNA being TNA?

He was originally signed with WWE but during his physical it revealed a condition that made him unemployable, popular assumption is concussions. He then went to TNA and he got more concussions and he is not doing anything.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's irritating as gently caress. Hearing Ric Flairs dogsbody talk like wrestling is real is just awful. He's also a petty mother fucker if you believe dirtsheets.

lol he really really does. But "maintains kayfabe during wwe dvd interview" is a pretty petty reason to hate someone imo.

I never watched wcw so the only thing i know about arn anderson is that he's ric flair's friend, did a great spinebuster, and got beat up by nexus last year. Someday kids will be saying the same thing about the kurt angles and stings who havent been a part of modern wwe :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I recall, JR used to be an announcer for WCW then quit for WWF. So that probably explains the Oklahoma thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Arn Anderson had to pull out of the War Games match due to injury, and gave his spot on the 4 Horsemen team to Curt Hennig. It was a very emotional promo and it really emphasized how important he felt the spot was.

So of course the next week the NWO does a spoof of it the next week to suck all of the emotion out

Wasn't there a planned run-in by the Horsemen to hype the feud during that segment, that got nixed by Nash or Bischoff or someone?

And I always heard the Oklahoma thing was a personal animosity that either Ferrara, Russo or both had towards JR from WWE. I don't remember if it was just that JR spoke out against their shittier ideas or what.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

He was originally signed with WWE but during his physical it revealed a condition that made him unemployable, popular assumption is concussions. He then went to TNA and he got more concussions and he is not doing anything.

Ah right, that's a shame. Wikipedia says he left for the WWE at the same time as Danielson so I wonder if the original idea was to have him on the first NXT

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't there a planned run-in by the Horsemen to hype the feud during that segment, that got nixed by Nash or Bischoff or someone?

Yes, you're right

Lionel RichTea posted:

Ah right, that's a shame. Wikipedia says he left for the WWE at the same time as Danielson so I wonder if the original idea was to have him on the first NXT

I don't think NXT was even a glimmer in anyone's eye at that point

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As long as we are talking tangentially-related wrestling stories, I have a personal distaste for Nigel McGuinness/Desmond Wolfe. He wrestled an old friend of mine at a show in Chicago, started shooting on him for fun, and my friend returned the favor. Thus my friend never wrestled for them again because McGuinness complained about the unprofessional behavior.

On the plus side ... ... no, I really do not wish concussions and a failed career on anyone, so there is no plus side.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lionel RichTea posted:

I'm not sure they'd really come up with NXT at that point, but yeah, WWE grabbed them both at the same time, and people were thrilled at the idea. Then it was announced that TNA had signed Nigel, and people were both confused and considerably less thrilled; you could probably hear Jerusalem's heart break three states away.

TNA tried to play it off as a WWE target preferring TNA and signing with "the better company," but it pretty quickly came out that Nigel had failed his physical so hard that WWE either greatly reduced their offer to him or yanked it altogether (there were differing reports at the time). His absences in TNA have gone almost wholly unexplained, which leads us to assume they're very much related to whatever caused him to fail his WWE physical, and TNA just doesn't want to admit that they spent money on a guy the WWE considered potentially unfit to wrestle who is currently, indeed, unfit to wrestle.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Suben posted:

To be fair, which I shouldn't because Hogan, but that is not a WCW or Hogan problem, it is a toy store inventory problem. Unless Hogan owned the toy store. SWERVE~

And the Arn parody was hilarious, especially Konnan as Mongo rubbing his hands together like a goof. So like Mongo, basically. I recall hearing somewhere, I forget where, that Arn et al were cool with it, but people in Arn's family got all whiny and in Arn's ear about it and only then it became a Thing.

I'm not defending the Horsemen never getting their heat back and actually beating the NWO fair and square, but that is different than the parody itself.

And only sort of related, but my favorite Dysfunctional WCW stories also come from Chris Jericho, the time he got a Fed Ex package with nothing in it, and the time he got a royalty check for $0.00 :wcw:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

whatsabattle posted:

To be fair, which I shouldn't because Hogan, but that is not a WCW or Hogan problem, it is a toy store inventory problem. Unless Hogan owned the toy store. SWERVE~

And the Arn parody was hilarious, especially Konnan as Mongo rubbing his hands together like a goof. So like Mongo, basically. I recall hearing somewhere, I forget where, that Arn et al were cool with it, but people in Arn's family got all whiny and in Arn's ear about it and only then it became a Thing.

I'm not defending the Horsemen never getting their heat back and actually beating the NWO fair and square, but that is different than the parody itself.

And only sort of related, but my favorite Dysfunctional WCW stories also come from Chris Jericho, the time he got a Fed Ex package with nothing in it, and the time he got a royalty check for $0.00 :wcw:
Isn't Lance Storm still owed money for a WCW video game?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Gaz-L posted:

And I always heard the Oklahoma thing was a personal animosity that either Ferrara, Russo or both had towards JR from WWE. I don't remember if it was just that JR spoke out against their shittier ideas or what.

The other reason comes down to Russo's attempts to be an on air character. He pushed hard for "Vic Venom" to become the announcer, reasoning that he would be best placed to explain his stories (and not in anyway down to any desire to be a star). JR basically pointed out he was the announcer and that Russo was better suited to something that didn't involve him talking as his voice wasn't quite right. As a result Russo went out of his way to make JR look like poo poo in angles, trying to turn him heel and destroy his credibility.

If I recall correctly theres heat between Michael Cole and Russo as well, as Russo got pissed that Cole was brought in to be developed as the long term successor to JR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Where does the "Broke/ripped 6000 somethings and never drew a dime" thing come from? Who was it in reference to originally?