Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kenlon posted:

Two Archers, a Zeus and a Griffin. Best Steiner fire lance.

Best Steiner assault lance circa 3025?

Banshee-S, another Banshee-S, a third Banshee-S, and to finish it out? THAT'S RIGHT A FOURTH BANSHEE-S.

Scratch that, that's best 3025 assault lance whether you're Steiner or not. Cept if you're not, you don't get it.

e: new page, new image. This is how we do poo poo in Caesar's Legion.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

This picture really calls for a Rocky montage. With Battlemechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Bunnyofdoom has inherited a fine battlemech, a Lancelot!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

inflatablefish posted:

This picture really calls for a Rocky montage. With Battlemechs.

The Atlas getting up early eating raw eggs...

The Atlas blasting some beef with its autocannon...

The Atlas running up some steps...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bunnyofdoom has inherited a fine battlemech, a Lancelot!

I thought Bunnyofdoom was co-piloting the Rifleman. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

I thought Bunnyofdoom was co-piloting the Rifleman. :v:

Believe it or not, Annie Sue Hurd is a canon character. As is bunny-bear.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TildeATH posted:

Set to "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of the Tiger"?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

For those who aren't aware - in Close Quarters, she gets headhit by an Atlas that kills Bunny-bear, then a Marauder takes the head off her Rifleman with a followup hit. Yes, they kill the teddy bear first.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

W.T. Fits posted:

I think it depends on the faction it belongs to.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

W.T. Fits posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyCTfHYgWBA&feature=related

Tempest_56 posted:

For those who aren't aware - in Close Quarters, she gets headhit by an Atlas that kills Bunny-bear, then a Marauder takes the head off her Rifleman with a followup hit. Yes, they kill the teddy bear first.

gently caress, I had forgotten about that. The bastards. :argh:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

And this is why you never go into point-blank range against an Atlas. He doesn't really have any reason not to punch you nad 10-damage cluster on the punch location table are BAD MOJO.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Magni posted:

And this is why you never go into point-blank range againstmess with an Atlas.

Fixed that for you. :ohdear:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And now I need to find my copy of Close Quarters again.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

TildeATH posted:

gently caress this is the best I could do. Mechs are hard to draw. No wonder they look so goofy in the source books.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Considering it was originally written for Rocky III (they decided to go for Eye of the Tiger instead), this would also be an acceptable choice.

And let's see if we can't save Bunny Bear this time around; after all, this thread is about rewriting the history of the Inner Sphere is it not?

FOR BUNNY BEAR! ¡NO PUEDO HABLAR ESPAÑOL! :ese:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Chance II posted:

gently caress this is the best I could do. Mechs are hard to draw. No wonder they look so goofy in the source books.

That's pretty great, although it does help that the Atlas is nice and humanish-shaped.

Now I have the image of a Jenner flailing its little stub arms around impotently as it tries to grab a beer stuck in my head. :rubshands:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Chance II posted:

That's gonna get so much use...

Now what about running up the steps of 1 ComStar Plaza?

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Anyone wanna play Megamek?

Edit: I setup the IRC from yesterday #megamek just msg me there if you want to play.

SageSepth fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Y'all are on a roll with the fanarts lately. Sorry about the delays, I'm still waiting on an action since I hadn't realized Mahoshonen had dropped off the roster.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Let me tell you all a story about Bertrand Melczewsky, the greatest scout tank pilot there ever lived.

See, a pair of mixed mech/armor/infantry lances ran into each other, up 'round the ruins of a castle, little town in its shadow. Now the Davions, they had this hotshot newly minted tank pilot, scars up and down his face, bitter as rancid almonds, all hot to show the Capellans what was what. So- he was new, you understand, to the unit, and so he only had this little five ton skimmer. A few pounds of armor, maybe, but screamingly fast, you know? Bertrand, he hopped in that skimmer and he ROARED off down the road fans a screaming, way out ahead of anyone else. Swore he was gonna find those Capellan forces first thing. And he did; he was almost a kilometer ahead of the rest of the Davion lances, but halfway across a bridge he made contact with an entire lance of Capellan mechs. Well now, some of those Capellans had been taking the long way around to an abandoned base, and we hadn't had the forces to garrison it; the back door to our position now, it was entirely empty. They were pushin' that way, but at Bertrand Melczewsky's charge, those Capellanspanicked thinking he was going for their armor support. So they turned around and they never did investigate that southern road much.

Well, there's only one way that story can end, right stranger? The bold tank driver dies a blaze of glory. Well, one Lynx, it shoots a hole right through Bertrand's engine and the whole damned skinner falls to the ground. But Bertrand wasn't done, oh no. Screaming curses into his radio, Bertrand Melczewsky took up his infantry rifle and he charged that Capellan mech that shot out his ride.

The Capellans didn't know what to do. One crazy tanker on foot, a whoopin' and a swearin', charging an entire mech by himself. That Lynx, he backed up, and began firin' all his lasers. Bertrand just kept on coming, and then with lasers kicking up dirt around him he dove into an old abandoned bunker. And Bertrand Melczewsky, he kept firing his tiny little rifle, bullets bouncing off that Capellan Lynx's armor like spitballs.

Now you gotta understand, by this time we and they'd engaged on a hilly road, mechs and infantry and armor going at it tooth and nail. But that Capellan Lynx... hundreds of meters from the main battle, he bent down and ripped out a tree and began pounding that bunker with it, firing all his weapons in a rage instead of going to support the others. Bertrand kept firing his little rifle and cussin' out the Capellan pilot as the bunker shuddered around him, stubborn as a mule. Eventually the Capellans retreated. And when we caught up to the ruins of that bunker, there was old Bertrand Melczewsky, out of ammo but without a drat scratch on him.

So raise a glass for Bertrand Melczewsky, friends. That one tank pilot sabotaged an entire Capellan reinforced lance or two all by his lonesome with a rifle, a 5 ton recon hovertank, and more gumption than a barrelfull of cacti.

:patriot: :davion:

(This is almost entirely unexaggerated from the shenanigans in Megamek earlier tonight. I wanted to compose a fitting paean to the legend of my new favorite soldier, Bertrand Melczewsky.)

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 5, 2011

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
That is more or less exactly what happened, it was a good fight.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Davions, gently caress yeah!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Let me tell you about every pilot in the goddamn inner sphere...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Felime posted:

Let me tell you about every pilot in the goddamn inner sphere...

I always find the pilot anecdotes more impressive when they do stuff in a total shitbox of a machine. When you have some pilot who gets a bunch of kills in a Devastator that's one thing. When they're doing it in a Commando? Holy poo poo that means they basically sandblasted every scrap of armor off each kill.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

TildeATH posted:

Well, I was more thinking of the plucky little Commando facing off against the evil Russian Atlas. You know, jump-jet like a butterfly, alpha like a bee?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Atlas? Nay, that man was a Thug.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kenlon posted:

The Catapult is thus an excellent brawler, despite it's lack of arms for punching, and makes a superb machine to use for dogging heavier mechs. (Especially 3/5 assaults.) This is especially apparent in the CCAF, where the Catapult is most common - pair it up with Vindicators and watch the enemy fall. (PPCs to tear holes in armor, plus piles of 5 damage hits to critseek.)
Personally I love the K4 Catapult. Sooo smashy.

Mukaikubo posted:

Let me tell you all a story about Bertrand Melczewsky, the greatest scout tank pilot there ever lived.

EPIC :words:

(This is almost entirely unexaggerated from the shenanigans in Megamek earlier tonight. I wanted to compose a fitting paean to the legend of my new favorite soldier, Bertrand Melczewsky.)
When I get home tonight I'm making a Davion version of :patriot:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Will the Hostages die? Have the commandos decided to steal all the food in the place and have a party? is the teddy bear going to die?! :ohdear:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Axe-man posted:

Will the Hostages die?

Some of them will.

quote:

Have the commandos decided to steal all the food in the place and have a party?

I don't think they have the time to sack the place for food.

quote:

is the teddy bear going to die?! :ohdear:

I hope not. Poor teddy doesn't deserve that.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I don't think they have the time to sack the place for food.

Only our cookies.

War... war is hell. :negative:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

I always find the pilot anecdotes more impressive when they do stuff in a total shitbox of a machine. When you have some pilot who gets a bunch of kills in a Devastator that's one thing. When they're doing it in a Commando? Holy poo poo that means they basically sandblasted every scrap of armor off each kill.

They are in a total shitbox of a machine. I was talking about pilot-pilots, AERO pilots. Those things crash if you so much as sneeze on them.

Is it bad that I kinda like the commando? It's worked well as area denial to light jumpjetty mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

Will the Hostages die? Have the commandos decided to steal all the food in the place and have a party? is the teddy bear going to die?! :ohdear:

We'll know once I get bunnyofdoom's orders, won't we?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Felime posted:

They are in a total shitbox of a machine. I was talking about pilot-pilots, AERO pilots. Those things crash if you so much as sneeze on them.

Is it bad that I kinda like the commando? It's worked well as area denial to light jumpjetty mechs.

Not at all. Some variants of the Commando are very solidly put together 25 ton mechs; i mean, at tech 1 and 25 tons you're not going to get a worldbeater, but they can play very nice roles in a lance. The variants with a large laser in them make a surprisingly vicious light sniper; the variant with two SRM-6s (a possible alpha strike over 30 damage for the -3A; whenever you can deal more damage in a round than you weigh in tons, you are a pretty nasty customer in a brawl!) is great for dissuading mechs from coming nearby and I often pair it with a Catapult or some other missile boat as a cheap guard. Two Catapults and two Commandos is a low-BV but really effective fire support lance!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, good news everyone! Only two of the Wolf Spider variants are brutally powerful. The others are actually pretty ok for Clan 'mechs. My tests were slightly flawed since I forgot to actually equip the C variant with weapons, but the five (the four that worked and one that didn't) of them did surprisingly ok against two lances of IS heavies.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 5, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, good news everyone! Only two of the Wolf Spider variants are brutally powerful. The others are actually pretty ok for Clan 'mechs. My tests were slightly flawed since I forgot to actually equip the C variant with weapons, but the five (the four that worked and one that didn't) of them did surprisingly ok against two lances of IS heavies.

so glad i get to pilot in the early days when the wins were easy :ohdear:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

so glad i get to pilot in the early days when the wins were easy :ohdear:

so glad i get to pilot in the later days when the glory is massive :ohdear:

:v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Actually I'm just glad i got to pilot for the Kells, it may not have been in my normal hunchy with an Ac10 but it was nostalgic to say the least.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Not at all. Some variants of the Commando are very solidly put together 25 ton mechs; i mean, at tech 1 and 25 tons you're not going to get a worldbeater, but they can play very nice roles in a lance. The variants with a large laser in them make a surprisingly vicious light sniper; the variant with two SRM-6s (a possible alpha strike over 30 damage for the -3A; whenever you can deal more damage in a round than you weigh in tons, you are a pretty nasty customer in a brawl!) is great for dissuading mechs from coming nearby and I often pair it with a Catapult or some other missile boat as a cheap guard. Two Catapults and two Commandos is a low-BV but really effective fire support lance!

As Chronotron learned when 2 alphas from my COM-2D completely wrecked his jenner. the 2D is a tough little SOB and can put out almost as much hurt has the more fragile 3A.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

When they're doing it in a Commando? Holy poo poo that means they basically sandblasted every scrap of armor off each kill.
Critseekers, mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Chance II posted:

This is unitentionally funny given the canon mercenary unit Reed's Brew. Yeah, that's an Atlas holding a pint of beer they have as their unit insignia. Their background is hilarious, too.

• Locked thread