Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have an original verizon Droid that I love, but the wife is begging for it and letting me use her upgrade to get the latest and greatest. She isn't letting me wait for the Thunderbolt :(.

I suppose my two choices are either the Samsung Fascinate or the Droid X (or Droid 2?).

I am very unclear about what I can and cannot do with these phones with regards to "rooting" them. The Droid I use is rooted, has SPrecovery, all that bullshit on it, and I greatly enjoy putting new roms on it every few weeks to try things out.

My understanding is that this isn't completely possible with the Droid X, as it can be rooted, but you can't replace the boot loader? How exactly does this limit me? When I look at droidforums.net they seem to have plenty of ROM options for the Droid X, so how is that happening?

At the same time, the Fascinate seems to be fully rootable (whatever that means), but looking at droidforums.net there doesn't seem to be much going on with it. Hardly a single rom.

Can some one please clear this up for me?!

Looks like they have tons of information at XDA regarding the Droid 2:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=741

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khong Phai
Apr 19, 2006

Drevoak posted:

My phone does get hot enough to make me think I have it running but it never is. It just feels like too much of a coincidence, battery life was fine before root, now it heats up and drains the battery big time.

Tried downloading the Spare Parts app and going into battery history? It gives you a list of programs and their battery usage under partial wake usage that should show the culprit.

Khong Phai fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 4, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have an original verizon Droid that I love, but the wife is begging for it and letting me use her upgrade to get the latest and greatest. She isn't letting me wait for the Thunderbolt :(.
I'm sure you know the Thunderbolt is only like 12 days away at this point--she can't give you a week and a half?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure you know the Thunderbolt is only like 12 days away at this point--she can't give you a week and a half?

If that's true, just give her your phone swap SIMs or something for some old dumbphone for a week, bam everyone happy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sniep posted:

If that's true, just give her your phone swap SIMs or something for some old dumbphone for a week, bam everyone happy.
Can you do that for Verizon? I thought CDMAs had to be activated by the carrier (I don't know, I've never used a non-GSM carrier)?

Even if you can't just give her the OG Droid and take her phone until the 14th when the Thunderbolt comes out.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

LastInLine posted:

Can you do that for Verizon? I thought CDMAs had to be activated by the carrier (I don't know, I've never used a non-GSM carrier)?

Oh, yeah, that's true, I'm with AT&T so it didn't come to mind. But yeah, the principle still stands.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Yeah I'd definitely wait for the Thunderbolt iiwy.

It's got a newer processor and more ram than the others and it'll probably have a lot of roms down the road. The screen is not as nice as the Fascinate's, but it'll have a working gps, no lag, froyo and likelihood of gingerbread. Also video chat Skype.

E: so does anyone using CM7 know if they have lockscreen gestures? (Should be under input settings)

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 4, 2011

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

Yeah I'd definitely wait for the Thunderbolt iiwy.

It's got a newer processor and more ram than the others and it'll probably have a lot of roms down the road. The screen is not as nice as the Fascinate's, but it'll have a working gps, no lag, froyo and likelihood of gingerbread. Also video chat Skype.

E: so does anyone using CM7 know if they have lockscreen gestures? (Should be under input settings)

Do you mean the screen lock pattern under Location & security settings?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Does CM7 have Facebook integration with contacts like the Sense ROMS do (Facebook picture as contact picture for example)?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

Yes, CM7 has lockscreen gestures. It's in CyanogenMod settings > Lockscreen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugh, text messaging on my phone is pretty hosed up right now and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm on a CDMA Hero running AOSPMod-0.9.9.2 right now. Every time I try to compose a text the screen flashes black, I lose signal for a second (the icon turns to an X) and then it just dumps me back to my inbox. Last week I was having issues with texting in CM, nobody was receiving texts that I was sending, and the phone was generally acting weird. Then of course at 4 in the morning it sent out all the texts that nobody got all at once. So I reflashed with a AOSPMod and things were okay for a while but I'm starting to get some issues again. Last night it resent every text I sent since last weekend, which was pretty loving annoying too.

I thought it was just Handcent being annoying, but I deleted that and the stock messaging app is doing the exact same thing. I'm pretty stumped here, any ideas?

Edit: I think I'm just going to wipe everything again and go back to CM

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 4, 2011

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Tried CM7 nightly 31 on my N1. It's pretty cool, but I had too many problems with audible. It's a required program for my usage.

It was very strange error, I couldn't download the books. "File Assembly Error"

I'm reverting to my froyo backup rom, I guess a black statusbar can wait for the stable release.

edit: gently caress still not working.

edit2: apparently it was a bug in audible, not related to rooting at all, but to the case of the first letter of your login name. Who knew?

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 4, 2011

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Thanks Merv Burger! i'm thinking of selling my G2 but not having lockscreen gestures would be unbearable

chestnut santabag posted:

Do you mean the screen lock pattern under Location & security settings?

it's like drawing a w on the lockscreen to launch whatsapp

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Gah, I am at a loss for my EVO.

Firstly, the USB problems I have are driving me crazy. I need to look into getting a replacement, but it seems silly to have to swap the phone and I assume that'll be a process.

Second, I've been tinkering with ROMs and have been plagued with issues. I tried CM7 early compile builds from Lithid which worked perfect, beyond GPS issues. Nightlies spawned, so I started using them and discovered my phone gets into a freeze mode. I can turn on the phone, unlock it, reboot, but the home Launcher is frozen and the status bar is missing. I've tinkered with alternate launchers to get the same issue. The only solution is to reboot. Now I wouldn't mind this so much, except my alarm clock doesn't go off when the device goes into a freeze.

So then I switch to the MIUI ROM which I love, except it has same GPS issues and USB is nearly completely broken with my wall charger not even being able to push some life. (Apparently it could trickle some minor charge barely keeping the phone online)

So, now I switch back to CM7 with hope that GPS and memory leak would be fixed, but alas I still seem plagued by issues.

Does anyone have any recommendations on why this memory leak occurs?

Also, for the GPS fix, I was told you can dial a phone number and type in your MSL number to update the device and resolve the issue. Anyone know about this?

I need to look into getting a device swap, though I expect that'll result in the 004 EVO to add even more problems.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I got Honeycomb working on my Nook. Man, I cannot wait till they get this working from internal memory as opposed to from the SD card, and get it a bit more stabilized. it's slick as hell.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

JerseyMonkey posted:

Also, for the GPS fix, I was told you can dial a phone number and type in your MSL number to update the device and resolve the issue. Anyone know about this?

I'm not sure where it stores its GPS data for this to work, but, yeah, that's apparently what you need to do, though it has to be from a Sense ROM since CM doesn't support those dialer codes. From what I've heard, you flash to a Sense ROM (doing a full data/cache/Dalvik cache wipe, of course), enter that code and your MSL, reboot back into the Sense ROM, then boot back into your recovery and either restore a Nandroid backup or wipe and flash a new ROM.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I suppose my two choices are either the Samsung Fascinate or the Droid X (or Droid 2?).

I am very unclear about what I can and cannot do with these phones with regards to "rooting" them. The Droid I use is rooted, has SPrecovery, all that bullshit on it, and I greatly enjoy putting new roms on it every few weeks to try things out.

My understanding is that this isn't completely possible with the Droid X, as it can be rooted, but you can't replace the boot loader? How exactly does this limit me? When I look at droidforums.net they seem to have plenty of ROM options for the Droid X, so how is that happening?

At the same time, the Fascinate seems to be fully rootable (whatever that means), but looking at droidforums.net there doesn't seem to be much going on with it. Hardly a single rom.

Can some one please clear this up for me?!

If she honestly can't wait another ten days and swapping with her until then* isn't an option, and rooting/aftermarket support is a big deal, you might actually be interested in the Droid Incredible. Smaller screen than the X and Fascinate, but no locked bootloader BS and it's got a great ROM community since it's so similar to the N1 in terms of hardware. It still holds up great against the X and blows the Fascinate out of the water in aftermarket support.

All that said, the Thunderbolt is a relatively minor upgrade over the Incredible (and X and Fascinate), but it would definitely be worth waiting for if you can convince her to wait that long.

* You can do this manually through your My Verizon account online; I forget exactly what the option is, but it's something like "Activate a new device" under your line. You just enter the ESN of the "new" phone and do a *22899 afterwards. Not sure if it'll work with a device that's already activated on another line on your plan, though; you may need to go into VZW for that.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

In case anyone's wondering, the latest Sholes (OG Droid) nightlies for CM7 are pretty drat stable, occasional reboots but they're infrequent, and it runs very snappy, much better than stock does. My girlfriend's very happy with it.

Is she having the weird screen redraw thing in Gmail?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nate fisher posted:

Does CM7 have Facebook integration with contacts like the Sense ROMS do (Facebook picture as contact picture for example)?

Thats standard in AOSP

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump
Flashed CM7 alpha 2 onto my NS earlier today.

my opinion is that it's still very alpha, not quite good enough for a daily driver for me, considering I'm on 2.3 anyway, the only obvious improvement of the ROM was the notification bar power control.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does MIUI auto brightness act wonky for anyone else? I can have it sitting on my desk and it will fade in and out, its really annoying. I just flashed today so its not out of date.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

kri kri posted:

Does MIUI auto brightness act wonky for anyone else? I can have it sitting on my desk and it will fade in and out, its really annoying. I just flashed today so its not out of date.

A bunch of the MIUI ROM's have funny brightness settings (HTC Vision/G2). If I get that dim flourescent flickering light effect, I'll just disable it.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Galaxy Tab owners, you now have CM7!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=931857

an alpha, but that's all anyone has.

Iananan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 5, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Iananan posted:

Eh, you should clarify it's for GSM Galaxy Tabs.

Us Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Tab owners can't use that yet.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

I just drove to my nearest mall to test CM6 Wimax capabilities. Right when I post my results on the XDA thread, they release CM7 WiMax. This looks rad.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

They added a 4G icon. Going to test now.

Also, it looks like Sprint expanded their 4G network as my backyard has 4G, yet my front yard has none. :{

For the curious, check 4G coverage here- http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov

Sitting in my backyard in freezing cold, but 4G!

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 5, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dijkstra posted:

Is she having the weird screen redraw thing in Gmail?

No. No major issues really.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Iananan posted:

That's awesome. I actually PMed the guy last week to ask about the beta

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

JerseyMonkey posted:

I just drove to my nearest mall to test CM6 Wimax capabilities. Right when I post my results on the XDA thread, they release CM7 WiMax. This looks rad.

It'd be nice if the 4g networks here worked that well :smith:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The Nook Color not only has Honeycomb, but the NC Honeycomb build has been rooted. Holy crap.

http://www.androidcentral.com/honeycomb-nook-color-rooted

Iananan
May 3, 2007

fishmech posted:

Eh, you should clarify it's for GSM Galaxy Tabs.

Us Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Tab owners can't use that yet.

Ah... yeah. Forgot that there was a difference there

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Aatrek posted:

The Nook Color not only has Honeycomb, but the NC Honeycomb build has been rooted. Holy crap.

http://www.androidcentral.com/honeycomb-nook-color-rooted

Considering it was ripped from the emulator and it is an aftermarket ROM, isn't adding root pretty basic part of building the ROM?

Also, on CM7 oddities. I fixed my GPS and am running a .34 kernel to use WiMax, no issues with this kernel. Curious of the .35 kernel which adds support for 004 EVOs has something special that discriminates against my phone.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

except root may be an entirely new implementation on honeycomb, you still need to figure out a way round the new operating system.

I'm curious as to whether there will be a cyanogenmod honeycomb release, and if CM8 and CM7 will be developing side by side.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
With the Honeycomb SDK out now, has anyone been able to install the Music.apk on other phones?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
It seems to me that it would make more sense to have cm7 development alongside a cyanogenmod tablet edition of something similar.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

No. No major issues really.

Hrmm, I may try a newer nightly then. I was having this problem where the gmail screen was doing this weird thing... it kept shifting to the right really quickly every few seconds, like it was redrawing itself or something. It made it next to impossible to do any screen input.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Do any of the apps in the market that claim to be a2sd actually work. I've been using leedroid and various roms and although they seem to be better than stock the battery life is just awful. If I could get a2sd in stock it would be great. Since I have and desire lack of space is a real problem. Also if I want to put stock back on do I just run the recovery I made of it or is it better to download a zip of stock and flash it?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

JerseyMonkey posted:

4g Evo Gingerbread ROM stuff

Every time I try to turn Wimax on, it just cycles between Scanning, to turning off, right back to loving scanning. I have my RSA keys, I have coverage at my house, I erased switchpro like it says to do in the OP of the XDA thread, what is wrong with my phone?

Traintruction
May 14, 2004

Hey, I'm about ready to throw my phone at my big, dumb face!

I attempted to install Team Whiskey's Bionix-V ROM on my Samsung Vibrant last night. I made a backup using the paid version of Titanium Backup, and I used ROM Manager to back up my ROM and all that fun stuff. I was having so much fun dicking around with all this poo poo that I lost track of all the beer I was drinking and completely hosed something up. I remember getting confused about the difference between the two SD cards in my phone at one point, which would have been a good ending point. Nope. Super Beer Genius just had to plow ahead. It all culminated with me partially deleting components of Awesome!

Anyway, this morning I restored the stock ROM, with the intention of starting fresh. It's running Eclair 2.1. I downloaded ROM Manager and Titanium Backup again, and ROM Manager is giving me some trouble--particularly the ClockworkMod component. I think it's haunted. When I try to flash recovery (2.5.1.2), it throws up a "An error occurred while downloading your recovery" message. It's almost instantaneous, like it's not really trying all that hard. I get the same error when I try to use earlier recoveries at the bottom of the utility, too.

If I reboot into recovery the only options I have are reboot system now, reinstall packages, delete all user data, and delete cache data. It also says it's using the Samsung recovery instead of ClockworkMod.

Is there a way to really, really uninstall this damned ClockworkMod thing and try again? I've uninstalled and reinstalled ROM Manager, and it seems to remember this phantom 2.5.1.2 thing. Is there a relatively easy workaround for installing the other ROM that would just let me bypass ROM Manager? I tried restoring ROM Manager from my backup, but that didn't solve the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get this sorted out, and I can assure everyone that I will remain sober during phase two of figuring this damned thing out.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm looking for some troubleshooting advice, and I don't know where to pinpoint the problem.

A while back I bought a used Droid from a member here that was already rooted and had "simply stunning" running on it. Everything was great except when I turn the ringer to vibrate, it doesn't vibrate on notifications. Calls and actually turning it to vibrate makes the phone vibrate though.

Figuring it was the ROM, I tried "bugless beast" last night but the same issue followed. I checked all the options on the phone, and the applicable ones are checked, I'm just wondering if there is something that may have been missed when it was rooted that caused it to act this way.

tl;dr - Rooted phone doesn't vibrate on notifications, just calls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm looking for some troubleshooting advice, and I don't know where to pinpoint the problem.

A while back I bought a used Droid from a member here that was already rooted and had "simply stunning" running on it. Everything was great except when I turn the ringer to vibrate, it doesn't vibrate on notifications. Calls and actually turning it to vibrate makes the phone vibrate though.

Figuring it was the ROM, I tried "bugless beast" last night but the same issue followed. I checked all the options on the phone, and the applicable ones are checked, I'm just wondering if there is something that may have been missed when it was rooted that caused it to act this way.

tl;dr - Rooted phone doesn't vibrate on notifications, just calls

When you checked all the options, did you check each individual app's notification settings? Most apps like Gmail, SMS, and the like have their own individual "Vibrate Always/Only on Silent/Never" option. As an added bonus, most of them don't have the currently selected option displayed, so you have to tap the option to check/set it.