Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gimme ideas for a job tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I know I'm not a regular contributor to this thread, but I have to chime in here. I have been married for 11 years and have two children, both in school. In my years before law school, I was an active duty Marine (4 years) and a police officer (5 years) in a small city.

Anyone looking to leave a government position making one hundred and forty thousand dollars per year needs to have their head examined.

When I was working as a police officer, and my wife had an office job, we had a combined income of about $55,000 per year. We had a nice house in a new subdivision, two nice cars, two motorcycles and a nice lifestyle that allowed for a little disposable income.

I left my $30,000 dollar job to come to law school, leaving my wife as the sole income. Even though she was promoted when we moved to Lexington, we have lived the last three years on around $40,0000 per year. We still have two cars. We bought a nice house in the best school district in the city. My children don't want for things and we still have disposable income.

After the July bar this year, I will start at a small law firm making a little less than $50,000 per year, representing a more than 50% increase to my previous pay. My wife and I will combine for $95,000 (or so) per year. I acknowledge that Lexington, KY has a lower cost of living than Washington, DC, but there is no way that the DC cost of living is so high that it cannot be overcome by an additional $55,000 per year.

The most insane thing is that "topping out" (not counting COLA increases) at age 29 making $140,000 is somehow seen as a problem. After all of the derision and "no jobs" posts in this thread, this is the most ridiculous turn of events.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

evilweasel posted:

Any kid is going to have a much much easier life without student loans than with (see: this thread). There's not really any learning that goes on from getting them.

Uh no you get to learn what it's like to be forced to make a major financial decision with damning repercussions when you're seventeen so that the next time that exact situation happens you'll be in better shape.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 4, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

Any kid is going to have a much much easier life without student loans than with (see: this thread). There's not really any learning that goes on from getting them.
Agreed - if I can do this for my putative children, I would be ecstatic. I graduated undergrad debt free and it was amazing, but I totally hosed it up by going to law school.

That said, I agree with defleshed and think anyone who can these days would certainly qualify as "rich."

gvibes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 4, 2011

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Barauch's incredibly lucky; Canadian patent examiners cap out at 110k, and there are like a thousand steps and ranks to go through to get there :argh:

I'm not a lawyer or going to law school but I am going into patents at an overseas firm (engineering background) and am hoping to eventually come back and land a job with the Canadian government as a patent examiner.

evilweasel posted:

I learned a lot about fiscal responsibility.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
For those of you who don't want to paint models but still want blood for the Blood God.

$5 http://store.thq.com:80/store/thq/en_US/pd/Warhammer-40000-Dawn-of-War-II/productID.107185400
$5 http://store.thq.com:80/store/thq/en_US/pd/Warhammer-40000-Dawn-of-War--Chaos-Rising/productID.164916500

Dawn of War II Review: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/warhammer-40-000-dawn-of/6584
Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising Review: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/warhammer-40-000-dawn-of/12302

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

Uh no you get to learn what it's like to be forced to make a major financial decision with damning repercussions when you're seventeen so that the next time that exact situation happens you'll be in better shape.
Non-dischargeable damning repercussions. That'll learn 'em.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

the job of reading the goddamn paper i sent you

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Petey posted:

Hahaha this is so good.

Edit: the ll.m. interrview program is coming up, and I put in bids for interviews, but I feel so guilty about looking at other jobs while still working for my current boss.

entris fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 4, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petey posted:

joke's on you. I read it a while ago and it's pretty good.

I'm going to start adding to it soon

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Defleshed posted:

I am married, have 2 kids, and live in Chicago. I would not do what he is considering doing. I would also murder a homeless man to have the setup he has now.

This is part of the entire problem with dialogue in this country as a whole. There are people who actually think it would be difficult to raise a family on what Barauch is currently making.

That is utterly loving ridiculous.

My wife and I have a combined income from all sources of about 95k and I can afford: a car payment, insurance on two cars, $1500/mo rent (I could pay higher, that's just what ours is right now), a sizeable contribution to my 401k, a large chunk into savings for a down payment on a house, and have plenty of money left for incidental expenses. We have all new furniture, and I upgrade electronics whenever I feel like it. Until last year, I was sending our kids to private school, too.

This is why we have people who make 250k/year claiming they are not rich. They are loving rich. If they'd bought more reasonable house/car/etc they wouldn't be struggling to make ends meet every month. Similarly, while I'll help my kids with incidental expenses while they are in college, I'm not going to straight up pay for it. They need to learn what it means to have responsibility for paying back something that was loaned to them so that they could improve their chances in life. Little Madison and Tucker having their goddamned college entirely paid for is not "middle class", it's rich.

I see no problem with topping out income at 29 if the top is what Barauch is saying it is. As a government worker he'll get regular COLA increases and what they are paying is plenty to have a comfortable life.

Christ, before I went to law school I was supporting my family on 40k a year.

I am married, with three kids, 2 cars, and live in a 2400 square foot house in the middle of the midwest. We made, combined, $175,000 last year. My two cars are 2003 domestic models and are paid for. My furniture is literally hand-me downs and stuff I bought from a neighbor. Not because I am too broke, but rather the three kids are going to gently caress up the furniture regardless of price, so why spend money on it? The kids go to public school. We spend around 10% on health care (a blend of pre and post tax money through an HSA), around 10% pre-tax goes to retirement accounts, and around another 7% goes to saving for kids college. We eat out at restaurants around twice a month. We go to the movies once every couple of months.

We pay mortgage, groceries, utilities, child care, and two sets of student loans, car insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, kids clothes, kids sports costs, vet bills, etc. etc. etc. and I never have any loving money at the end of the month.

It sure doesn't feel like I am living extravagantly driving my 8 year old Ford Taurus around. I thought my $185,000 house was reasonable in price, but maybe that's the problem. I guess I am just utterly loving ridiculous.

evilweasel posted:

That is my goal as well. Student loans have turned me into a wage slave. I have bypassed a dozen opportunities in my career to take a risk and swing for the fences because I have to make that monthly nut. I want more for my children.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Amway.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

nm posted:

Non-dischargeable damning repercussions. That'll learn 'em.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Anyway, I think it is a parent's duty to pay for their kid's education if they have the ability. Parents should make some sacrifices to take care of their kids and make sure they don't start $50k or $200k in the hole when they finish school.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

poofactory posted:

I think he was being sarcastic.

Anyway, I think it is a parent's duty to pay for their kid's education if they have the ability. Parents should make some sacrifices to take care of their kids and make sure they don't start $50k or $200k in the hole when they finish school.
If tuition continues to increase at 8% a year, and you have a kid now, how much money would you have to put away to pay a kid's way through? Like 10 grand a year per kid?

That makes me nauseous.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

gvibes posted:

If tuition continues to increase at 8% a year, and you have a kid now, how much money would you have to put away to pay a kid's way through? Like 10 grand a year per kid?

That makes me nauseous.

Public schools outside of CA are still relatively cheap aren't they? $5k/semester or so should do it. That's $40k total today and maybe $150k after 18 years if costs keep rising at this rate which I doubt they do. That's not $10k/year. That's more like $5k/year. That shouldn't be too difficult. That's also assuming the kid can't get any scholarships or other money. Push the kid to do well in school and s/he can get a decent scholarship to grad school.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm moving back in late May. Whenever Barbri starts. In re barbri, should I do online only or go to the class?

Should I even take barbri? It's $2,700 and I'm the one paying for it.

Nevermind, now a law firm is paying for it and I won't be living with my mom.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

Nevermind, now a law firm is paying for it and I won't be living with my mom.

Is this a subtle way to say "I got a job"??!

Congrats, if so!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

poofactory posted:

Public schools outside of CA are still relatively cheap aren't they? $5k/semester or so should do it. That's $40k total today and maybe $150k after 18 years if costs keep rising at this rate which I doubt they do. That's not $10k/year. That's more like $5k/year. That shouldn't be too difficult. That's also assuming the kid can't get any scholarships or other money. Push the kid to do well in school and s/he can get a decent scholarship to grad school.
At Illinois, it's over $10k for residents now. Plus, there are additional expenses. I was assuming all in - current total estimated cost is 27k-31k a year - http://admissions.illinois.edu/cost/tuition_freshman.html

Also, I was under the impression there is fairly limited aid scholarship funding available to rich kids going to state schools. I know I only got like $1k in non need-based grant money, and I was pretty loving exceptional. Fortunately, my parents were poor.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

gvibes posted:

At Illinois, it's over $10k for residents now. Plus, there are additional expenses. I was assuming all in - current total estimated cost is 27k-31k a year - http://admissions.illinois.edu/cost/tuition_freshman.html

Also, I was under the impression there is fairly limited aid scholarship funding available to rich kids going to state schools. I know I only got like $1k in non need-based grant money, and I was pretty loving exceptional. Fortunately, my parents were poor.

So your point is that it is too much money so you prefer your kid pay it?

Anyway, UIC is $5k or less and the kids can live at home. Graduate with a 3.5 and get a decent LSAT score and they can get a scholarship to one of the 10 law schools in Chicago. It shouldn't be too much to ask a parent to sacrifice a bit for their kids. Why have them if you aren't willing to raise them?

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/undergrad/tuition_undergrad/tuition_ug_fal10_spr11.html

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

poofactory posted:

So your point is that it is too much money so you prefer your kid pay it?

Anyway, UIC is $5k or less and the kids can live at home. Graduate with a 3.5 and get a decent LSAT score and they can get a scholarship to one of the 10 law schools in Chicago. It shouldn't be too much to ask a parent to sacrifice a bit for their kids. Why have them if you aren't willing to raise them?

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/undergrad/tuition_undergrad/tuition_ug_fal10_spr11.html
1) Those are per-semester
2) JFC, I'm planning on paying for their schooling
3) JFC, I'm not letting my kids go to law school
4) Living at home would make things more reasonable, but I would like for them to be able experience college

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Did someone just equate "funding law school" to "raising children"?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

gvibes posted:

1) Those are per-semester
2) JFC, I'm planning on paying for their schooling
3) JFC, I'm not letting my kids go to law school
4) Living at home would make things more reasonable, but I would like for them to be able experience college

I've consistently written per semester in each of my posts on this topic. $5k/semester * 8 = $40k in today's dollars. See Supra.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Just found out an opinion I helped author got overturned. Rage!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

poofactory posted:

I've consistently written per semester in each of my posts on this topic. $5k/semester * 8 = $40k in today's dollars. See Supra.
Blarg

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

gvibes posted:

I know a number of children with genuinely wealthy parents (officers of banks, partners in big law, C-level execs) who thought it would be good for character for their kids to pay for everything. They were in worse shape after college than the kids of poorer parents who actually got need based aid. FASFA fucks these kids because even if dad won't give you a penny, his income is considered.
Remember that at $100k+, your children are likely to be in the hosed by FASFA group and graduate with that $100k+ of non dischargable debt to weigh them down forever.
(Oh and for computing tuition costs remember cost of living. Thats often just as bad, if not worse than tuition and those loans are just as non-dischargable).

This whole dept to get your education thing is stupid anyhow. I love all the right-wing, baby-boomer nutjobs calling for increased tuition because it costs them money when those assholes went to a UC for $.50/credit.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Solomon-

While being able to fund two or more entire college educations from beginning to end would certainly be a great thing to be able to do; the fact that I can't doesn't mean I (and you) don't make a good amount of money. If I made 175k per year I could not only do that for my kids but I could pay the 10 year quick repayment plan on my own entire law school loan balance as well as maintain our current standard of living.

I'm not trying to be a dick but something is wrong. Are your student loan payments 10g's per month? Are you spending two grand a month on groceries? Do you have crippling credit card debt? We don't go out very much either, and I have health insurance through my employer that covers everyone so I could see I am saving money over you on that one. I'm just unable to see how, under any circumstances, I could make what you make and say there was no money left at the end of the month.

I've been down this road before, in other forums or in person with people. It almost always in my experience comes down to an unrealistic idea of how others live. People who have trouble making ends meet on a six figure income usually have little understanding of the term "making ends meet".

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

Is this a subtle way to say "I got a job"??!

Congrats, if so!

Yep, thanks!

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Defleshed posted:

I've been down this road before, in other forums or in person with people. It almost always in my experience comes down to an unrealistic idea of how others live. People who have trouble making ends meet on a six figure income usually have little understanding of the term "making ends meet".

I CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING PERFECT FOREVER!!!

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Defleshed posted:

Solomon-

While being able to fund two or more entire college educations from beginning to end would certainly be a great thing to be able to do; the fact that I can't doesn't mean I (and you) don't make a good amount of money. If I made 175k per year I could not only do that for my kids but I could pay the 10 year quick repayment plan on my own entire law school loan balance as well as maintain our current standard of living.

I'm not trying to be a dick but something is wrong. Are your student loan payments 10g's per month? Are you spending two grand a month on groceries? Do you have crippling credit card debt? We don't go out very much either, and I have health insurance through my employer that covers everyone so I could see I am saving money over you on that one. I'm just unable to see how, under any circumstances, I could make what you make and say there was no money left at the end of the month.

I have to say that I had no trouble paying my expenses and saving a lot of money when I made ~$175k/year or even when I made less than that. Also, I paid ~3x what Soloman did for his house and have kids.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

poofactory posted:

I have to say that I had no trouble paying my expenses and saving a lot of money when I made ~$175k/year or even when I made less than that. Also, I paid ~3x what Soloman did for his house and have kids.

That's because of your awesome tax savings due to marrying a church.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Defleshed posted:

Solomon-

poofactory posted:

We haven't been making that much for very long. It is not as if we got jobs out of law school making $70k each. Our first years we made $35k and $29k. There was no IBR back then, we went into deferment, the unpaid amounts being added to principal. We have been handcuffed ever since. Our income would rise and we would pay more to debt. Add in some bad luck (house fire, health problem, etc.) and you go into further debt. We are making great strides now, as our income has gone up dramatically the last two years. But we still have a long way to go.

Do you folks have life and disability insurance? That is a major cost item in our household, as we have 3 kids to take care of if we die/get disabled, so we can't do without. My premiums are astronomical because I have a heart diagnosis, which makes carrying the insurance even more important.

I am not sure how this relates to having an unrealistic expectation of how other people live. I went to law school with the express expectation that I would end up a bachelor, working at legal aid, living over someone's garage, wearing short sleeve dress shirts with knit ties and driving a LeCar. I got so in debt in law school that I had to go work for the man for a little whle. Then I got married, and started having kids, and I am still working for the man.

In terms of making ends meet, we do what we can. Every time Suze Orman shows up on Oprah talking about ways to cut your expenses, we already do all that stuff. We clip coupons, and comparison shop. I get my suits at Men's Wearhouse.

I don't think my current expectations are out of line. Comfortable middle class existence, retire in my early sixties, and send my kids to college. Is that so wrong?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
No Solomon, it isn't, and you've been over your finances before, and I don't think it's an unreasonable situation. I do think "wait why can't you make ends meet above six figures" is a reasonable kneejerk reaction, though.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

joke's on you. I read it a while ago and it's pretty good.

I'm going to start adding to it soon

ok good, I'm going to be under water with work the next few weeks but let me know what if anything you do before I pick it up again. rereading it, there are already some changes I would make, some stylistic, some conceptual, but you take a crack at it first.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Solomon Grundy posted:

In terms of making ends meet, we do what we can. Every time Suze Orman shows up on Oprah talking about ways to cut your expenses, we already do all that stuff. We clip coupons, and comparison shop. I get my suits at Men's Wearhouse.

Somewhere, a chill just went down Mookie's spine.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MaximumBob posted:

As if a million bespoke suits cried out...and were suddenly silenced.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

MaximumBob posted:

If you find me a bespoke tailor who guarantees that I will like the way I look, I will consider saving up my lunch money.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Solomon Grundy posted:

If you find me a bespoke tailor who guarantees that I will like the way I look, I will consider saving up my lunch money.

Here's my list: All of them. At least get up to made to measure instead of off the rack.

Buy nice suits, it ends up working out to the same cost over time and you won't look like poo poo. It doesn't need to be a Kiton... just not Men's Wearhouse for the love of god.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Solomon Grundy posted:

i laughed i admit it

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Omerta posted:

Here's my list: All of them. At least get up to made to measure instead of off the rack.

Buy nice suits, it ends up working out to the same cost over time and you won't look like poo poo. It doesn't need to be a Kiton... just not Men's Wearhouse for the love of god.

(That was a joke about the Men's Wearhouse slogan: "You are going to like the way you look, I guarantee it.")

It is not the same cost over time, not even close. It is 1/5 the cost, at least. If you gently caress up once with a bespoke suit, it is just as ruined as a Men's Wearhouse horsehair special. Having barfing kids and a very hairy dog around makes good suits a bad investment.

I have no use for a bespoke suit. If I were to try a case in a bespoke suit in my depressed corner of the Midwest, I would totally alienate myself from Joe Sixpack. I would be "putting on airs" and tagged for it.

I was sitting lunch during a trial in my third or fourth year, and listened to the jurors speculate on the cost of the defense lawyer's shoes for about 15 minutes. They hated on the dude and I got my best plaintiff's verdict in my career. I learned from it, and keep a pair of holey scuffed up broughams for trials.

I wear my shittiest, baggiest suits for trial, which are not hard to find at the Wearhouse. I practice in some courthouses with hitching posts for horses, and others with parking meters that don't have slots that will take quarters. I can just see myself showing up in a handmade suit... jesus christ.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Having [...] a very hairy dog

These are the best kinds of dogs so don't second-guess yourself for a minute.

Also the parking meters you were talking about, what do they take?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

prussian advisor posted:

These are the best kinds of dogs so don't second-guess yourself for a minute.

Also the parking meters you were talking about, what do they take?

Credit cards, obviously!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I spent 12 hours today sitting at a desk given an impossible task/deadline combo in an area that I have no experience in, with absolutely no help forthcoming from anyone in the office that knew what they were doing, desperately trying to figure out the proper course of action from practice guides, compiling what I think were the proper documents and declarations with visions of malpractice suits dancing in my head.

I honestly prayed for massive heart attack, but instead I was gifted with the client calling and giving me information that made all the work I had done null and void. Now I will have to begin on a new, even less familiar course of action, with a similar lack of help next week.

gently caress my life and gently caress ever having chosen the law as my vocation. Yet I'm one of the lucky ones because I have a job.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 5, 2011