Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

If I recall, JR used to be an announcer for WCW then quit for WWF. So that probably explains the Oklahoma thing.

JR was fired from WCW due to being Bill Watts' second in command and the Watts era ending. They forgot to remove him from the WCW sponsored radio show in Atlanta. So JR signed with the WWF and had Vince on as his guest on the radio show to announce he would be calling WM 9. WCW everybody.

JR working for WCW had nothing to do with Oklahoma. Russo and Ferrera are just childish and petty people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jack Krauser posted:

Where does the "Broke/ripped 6000 somethings and never drew a dime" thing come from? Who was it in reference to originally?

I think it was something someone said about Jeff Jarrett. "Broke 1000 guitars and never drew a dime."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Suben posted:

This reminds me of something I read once (maybe in the whole sleaze list so it could be fake?) that when WCW had action figures, it was set up so that if someone bought a Jericho or whatever lower carder figure it'd actually register as a sale of a figure of Hogan and other guys like that thus loving the lower carders out of royalties.
He went to a Toys R Us and bought his own figure. The receipt said Hogan. Now anybody with even a basic understanding of point of sale systems can tell you that this event had absolutely nothing to do with distribution of royalties and the error was on Toys R Us's end, not WCW's.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LividLiquid posted:

He went to a Toys R Us and bought his own figure. The receipt said Hogan. Now anybody with even a basic understanding of point of sale systems can tell you that this event had absolutely nothing to do with distribution of royalties and the error was on Toys R Us's end, not WCW's.

But there was that poll that when you votes for Flair it gave votes to Hogan.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I'm pretty sure the story was that WCW/the toy company were intentionally putting the wrong barcodes on the figures to have them show up as Hogan figures, not a TRU thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

That absolutely did happen, yes.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think it was something someone said about Jeff Jarrett. "Broke 1000 guitars and never drew a dime."

Yeah it was about Jarrett. 6000 guitars actually and Mike Graham said it in the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not a huge fan of Jarrett but Mike Graham is such a shithead that I can't really consider it a good burn

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

tzirean posted:

I'm not sure they'd really come up with NXT at that point, but yeah, WWE grabbed them both at the same time, and people were thrilled at the idea. Then it was announced that TNA had signed Nigel, and people were both confused and considerably less thrilled; you could probably hear Jerusalem's heart break three states away.

TNA tried to play it off as a WWE target preferring TNA and signing with "the better company," but it pretty quickly came out that Nigel had failed his physical so hard that WWE either greatly reduced their offer to him or yanked it altogether (there were differing reports at the time). His absences in TNA have gone almost wholly unexplained, which leads us to assume they're very much related to whatever caused him to fail his WWE physical, and TNA just doesn't want to admit that they spent money on a guy the WWE considered potentially unfit to wrestle who is currently, indeed, unfit to wrestle.

Thanks for the info, he must be in a pretty bad way for both WWE and TNA to keep him out. Pretty sad really, I can only go by the 10 or saw matches I've watched but from what I have he seems really good.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

JR was fired from WCW due to being Bill Watts' second in command and the Watts era ending. They forgot to remove him from the WCW sponsored radio show in Atlanta. So JR signed with the WWF and had Vince on as his guest on the radio show to announce he would be calling WM 9. WCW everybody.

JR working for WCW had nothing to do with Oklahoma. Russo and Ferrera are just childish and petty people.

Does that radio show exist?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Sugar Blaster posted:

the most offensive wrestling impersonation was easily oaklahoma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTji6GP_ZAM

I'm no fan of Ed Ferrara, but I give credit where credit is due--for a writer, he took some really good bumps in that match.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Correct.

I should know, I work in a supermarket :smug:

jeffersonlives posted:

I'm pretty sure the story was that WCW/the toy company were intentionally putting the wrong barcodes on the figures to have them show up as Hogan figures, not a TRU thing.
Surely they'd still have an idea of how many were being sold if this were correct because they'd know the number of figures being produced by the manufacturer and sold to stockers.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 5, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Was Smackdown always intended to be the b - show?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Sue Denim posted:

Yes, RAW will always be WWE A show in their eyes. even though theres been priods the stories/wrestling was better on smackdown.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

I know fans tend to project a kind of personality onto the brands but what you're asking whether the taped show on a worse night with less viewers has ever been valued over the live show on a night with more viewers.

fwiw SD usually wins the bigger interbrand matches for some reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

I know fans tend to project a kind of personality onto the brands but what you're asking whether the taped show on a worse night with less viewers has ever been valued over the live show on a night with more viewers.

fwiw SD usually wins the bigger interbrand matches for some reason.

To make it seem like there's at least some kind of parity. And there was a period, I think when Heyman was doing the Smackdown Six stuff, where Smackdown was actually outdoing Raw in sheer viewership, even if the ratings were technically lower due to the network vs cable thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

No. At first it was a big deal and drew more viewers than Raw so they would be crazy to see it as the be show. At best Raw was A and Smackdown was A-. As the ratings decline in the post Attitude era happened, Smackdown slipped more than Raw, and then was moved to Fridays where ratings got even worse. It would still draw the same number of viewers as Raw, but only rarely when Raw did a poor number. By the move to Fridays it was clearly a B show.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Smackdown was TREATED as the B Show as early as 2002, but thanks to Heyman's booking and use of the best wrestlers in the company, it didn't become an actual B Show until 2004, when they kicked him off the writing team and made JBL champion.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

bobkatt013 posted:

This was a part of an onscreen storyline. They wanted to fix it so Flair would lose for sure. In the storyline, he was jealous of Hogan's popularity and knee dropped a copy of WCW magazine. I think that kind of makes it even funnier.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 5, 2011

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

Smackdown was TREATED as the B Show as early as 2002, but thanks to Heyman's booking and use of the best wrestlers in the company, it didn't become an actual B Show until 2004, when they kicked him off the writing team and made JBL champion.

That was the exact period I came back to watching wrestling. If I hadn't found ROH I probably would have quit right then and there.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

and then was moved to Fridays where ratings got even worse.
I thought the ratings went up on Friday, since Thursday had tons of competition on other channels.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Atticus Finch posted:

I thought the ratings went up on Friday, since Thursday had tons of competition on other channels.

Ratings went way down after the move to Friday. They were doing above a 3 in 2005 before the move, and after the move ratings dove into the low 2s, but recovered to the upper 2s by the end of the year for about a 10% decline. A year after the move ratings had declined more than half a point.

The move was made because Friday is a terrible night for ratings and UPN felt that Smackdown would maintain its rating no matter what. They could then use the Thursday night slot for other shows they felt would do worse on Friday.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Ratings went way down after the move to Friday. They were doing above a 3 in 2005 before the move, and after the move ratings dove into the low 2s, but recovered to the upper 2s by the end of the year for about a 10% decline. A year after the move ratings had declined more than half a point.

The move was made because Friday is a terrible night for ratings and UPN felt that Smackdown would maintain its rating no matter what. They could then use the Thursday night slot for other shows they felt would do worse on Friday.

Of course, this does not explain why MyNetwork and SyFy have not moved it back, in spite of the former definitely not having any reason not to. :argh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Of course, this does not explain why MyNetwork and SyFy have not moved it back, in spite of the former definitely not having any reason not to. :argh:

MyNetwork: They are stupid idiots

Syfy: They probably have shows they think would suffer on Fridays but think Smackdown will do the same rating regardless of the day.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I kinda hope they keep it there because otherwise I'd have to DVR it on Thursdays.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Why is pro wrestling on a channel about science fiction?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DannoMack posted:

Why is X-files on BBC America? $$

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The Croc posted:

Yes, RAW will always be WWE A show in their eyes. even though theres been priods the stories/wrestling was better on smackdown.

2003 Smackdown was wayyyyyy better than Raw that year.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

DannoMack posted:

SyFy is slowly moving away from its science fiction roots and trying to reach a more generalized audience. Additionally, WWE has a contract with NBC Universal where they have to offer any new or moved shows to any NBC Universal channel before offering it to another one. When the time came for SmackDown to move off of MyTV, NBCU's choice was to put it on USA--which they didn't want because it would make USA too much of a wrestling channel--or put it on SyFy, or let WWE try to sell it to a competing cable channel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Goog posted:

SyFy is slowly moving away from its science fiction roots and trying to reach a more generalized audience. Additionally, WWE has a contract with NBC Universal where they have to offer any new or moved shows to any NBC Universal channel before offering it to another one. When the time came for SmackDown to move off of MyTV, NBCU's choice was to put it on USA--which they didn't want because it would make USA too much of a wrestling channel--or put it on SyFy, or let WWE try to sell it to a competing cable channel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I believe the deal is that NBCU has the exclusive rights to WWE on cable. So if WWE could not find a network home for Smackdown, they had to go into the NBC family. Superstars gets away with this because WGN is considered a network, despite being on WGN America.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Wasn't WWE's ECW the first WWE program on what is now-SyFy? I remember them either justifying the channel or parodying the channel (never could decide which I thought it was) for the first couple weeks with Sandman.

I want to say that the first show started with an appearance by 'a ghost' (which, if you look closely, was someone covered in ghostly white powder also imitating the Ultimate Warrior [notice the facepaint], going "BUH RBUH BRUH") who then got the flour caned off of him by Sandman. He did that kinda thing for a few weeks until he had a real feud with someone, I believe.

So they started out by acknowledging the Sci-Fi stuff at least, anyway.

--: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ96WvwHvGM haha okay so it was a zombie, not a ghost. still, promo of the year

Twisted Eye fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 6, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ColeM posted:

2003 Smackdown was wayyyyyy better than Raw that year.

And 2002. Momentum shifted after WM20.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In fact Smackdown was so much better than Raw that they actually made a storyline about how Vince was getting on Bischoff's rear end for failing to keep Raw up with Smackdown. This lead to Bischoff going through a series of panicky desperation moves to up the ratings like Hot Lesbian Action, gate-crashing Billy and Chuck's wedding (the infamous,"Did I just hear myself say....?" bit), making out with Stephanie while wearing a Vince McMahon mask (yes he did this), engaging in bidding wars over the likes of Scott Steiner and Shawn Michaels, and pledging that he would return Stone Cold Steve Austin to Raw.

I'll aways remember the week after Billy and Chuck, Michael Cole saying something like,"The fact is Raw has sucked recently and the one time, THE ONE TIME, that guys from Raw have done anything interesting in WEEKS.... they did it on Smackdown!"

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

SD ruled as soon as the split happened, since in the original draft, SD took Rock, Angle, and Benoit, while RAW took Undertaker and the nWo (Hall, Nash, and I think X-Pac).

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I've been watching wrestling for work for a couple months now and I can see how they can pull punches for most of their moves, but what do they do to cushion or mitigate the pain of getting dropped onto a ladder during a ladder match?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

McNutty posted:

I've been watching wrestling for work for a couple months now and I can see how they can pull punches for most of their moves, but what do they do to cushion or mitigate the pain of getting dropped onto a ladder during a ladder match?

A lot of the time, they don't. If there's a spot where the ladder breaks in half, the ladder is gimmicked but other than that, they're pretty solid. They shift their weight so that it hurts less but it's still something that's not to be done often.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

McNutty posted:

The old cliche "they know how to fall" is pretty much true as well. They learn how to fall so the impact is spread over a large area of their body, which lessens the chances of injury. Or so Mick Foley's book told me.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Captain Charisma posted:

Strange what losing Kurt, Brock, Edge and Benoit can do to a show...

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

DannoMack posted:

The old cliche "they know how to fall" is pretty much true as well. They learn how to fall so the impact is spread over a large area of their body, which lessens the chances of injury. Or so Mick Foley's book told me.

Of course, it still hurts like hell, but would otherwise hurt like super hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McNutty posted:

Look at the 6 big ladder match wrestlers. Jeff and Matt? Well less said the better. Edge? Does not really work high risk style anymore. Same with Christian. Only ones that have careers that are not jokes Bubba and D'von? Just got fat