Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How about the SW game you wasted the most money on? I'm going to go ahead and post for Joe Don Baker: Star Wars Trilogy arcade, holy crap dude, I'm sure I've seen you dump atleast a thousand dollars in quarters into that toilet.

Well when the parties involved won't port it to any system what else is a guy supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
My favorite Star Wars Arcade game was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MAS9IH4Vns

They made a meh port of it for 32X. It and Knuckles' Chaotix were the only games I had for it. And to my knowledge, the only worthwhile 32X games ever.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 5, 2011

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm a little late to the shirt discussion, but a couple of years back I found my old horribly tacky and worn 1995 Star Wars Insider catalog exclusive shirt with a big collage of Rebel heroes...I can't find a picture online so this fb pic is the best I have

There was a red one with all the baddies too but I didn't have that one...hoping someone that does posts it up.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Best Star Wars game discussion is now over.

:ninja: e: mentioned once, but I brought pictures :colbert:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gently caress yes those games owned.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
ah man what was that SW beat 'em up called? That was pretty dreadfull...

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Favourite Game: Knights of the Old republic II Great story,great characters, great at de constructing the standard star wars type story.

Least Favourite: (limited to one of the star wars games I have actually played.) Masters of Teras Kasi a subpar fighting game for the PSX with clunky controls and boring and nonsensical fighters.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Silver Brushes posted:

Han Solo has a mullet.

Game discussion : I always enjoyed Galactic Battlegrounds even though it was AoEII with AT-ATs. The two Starfighter games for the ps2 were pretty decent as well.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Rebel Assault 2 was literally my first video game. I thought I was such a badass after I finally beat that speeder bike level for the first time, took me like a million tries though.

But yeah, my favorite Star Wars game is probably Kotor 2, followed closely by X-Wing Alliance and Jedi Outcast. Sure Jedi Academy really improved the actual gameplay and lightsaber combat, but the plot of Outcast was loving sweet.

And worst Star Wars game that I have played is definitely Force Commander. I've never played either TFU though.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I played through Jedi Knight and installed Jedi Outcast to continue. I was somewhat disappointed to be reminded that the saber combat in Outcast is, comparatively, complete dogshit after JK. In JK it's quick and deadly, while JO is too drat floaty and slow.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Admiral Goodenough posted:

And Ralph McQuarrie is seriously the greatest. This image right here is the most badass loving thing. How is this not on my wall right now?

I agree a lot. In the 90's, when I was really into Star Wars, they had a lot of good art in magazines and on trading cards that reimagined the original trilogy in all sorts of different ways and it all felt right. My favorite were the walkers (both types) three times their movie size and more dynamic and practical. That and Hoth looked much more inhospitable. Wish I could find the images.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Honestly, when I looked at this concept art in the past, I always thought Luke's equipment was part of his face and it was an alien profile, and it was one of those "Luke was supposed to be a space reptile humanoid" types of concepts that Lucas dropped.

A closer look, and now I know better.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
That incredible fan made documentary just makes the first movie look better again. So much they had going on.

The everyday life of Luke's friends is charming and makes life look good when it's not the empire fuckin things up. If that had been left in then maybe there would be less dumbass arguments about the empire not being evil, or the need to fixate on the sith and all that PT poo poo. And that bit about the Empire nationalizing trade :laugh: gently caress you all!
Probably most fans are more interested in what a Jawa looks like without its hood (I always just imagined two light bulbs, with or without cardboard to hold them)

It makes me wonder: if there is going to be an EU, why is it so consistently bad? I read the first Thrawn book because of hempraise people gave it in TBB but it was not good.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, what would you want out of an EU, if the Thrawn books aren't good enough?

The Thrawn trilogy introduced a reasonable threat to the post-RotJ heroes, kept the oddball technology and built off of it (like the Noghri web/tentacle shooting gun), remembered that it was a book and didn't try to be a movie that happened to exist in text form (ever seen a straight-up written version of a wirefu movie stunt scene?), was pretty good about keeping characters consistent with their movie portrayals, and upped the ante just slightly and kept stuff interesting by separating "evil Force user" from "the Empire".

What sort of novel could it have been to be better?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

stawk Archer posted:

It makes me wonder: if there is going to be an EU, why is it so consistently bad?

Short version is if you are a legitimately good writer you are PROBABLY going to be writing your own material, not borrowing from others.

Even if you a great writer and choose to write EU stuff, you're chained down by the limitations of the source material. KOTOR2 is good writing...for a video game. I'm not quite a Chris Avellone apologist, I think he's overrated in some areas, but for a video game story writer he's still one of the best if not the best. He still probably couldn't pen a novel that would change the world though. If he could, he would.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

RagnarokAngel posted:

Short version is if you are a legitimately good writer you are PROBABLY going to be writing your own material, not borrowing from others.

Even if you a great writer and choose to write EU stuff, you're chained down by the limitations of the source material. KOTOR2 is good writing...for a video game. I'm not quite a Chris Avellone apologist, I think he's overrated in some areas, but for a video game story writer he's still one of the best if not the best. He still probably couldn't pen a novel that would change the world though. If he could, he would.

I am a Chris Avellone apologist, and even I can't really defend the comic book stuff he did for the EU. It's one of those "it's just there" things. The man excels at video game plots, but getting too far beyond that is kind of 'meh'. I believe he said that he wanted nothing more to do with Star Wars after KOTOR II, simply because the source material was so limiting for him.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Even Bioware stopped taking licenses because they didn't like being confined by source material. And they're not exactly shakespeare.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
One reason the EU went to hell:

Kevin. J. loving. Anderson.

The second they gave him the reigns it went to hell.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Moreover, they mostly all do the same things (at least the opponents do the same types of movements in a fight, natch, since they need to have a matching choreographical scene) in the same fights. The fights themselves change quite a bit over the course of the films, even just the prequels.

So forms are mostly an afterthought meant to sell books about lightsaber forms.

Forms were written as an article by the fight coordinator. They are based in character backstory that created the movies. They were transcribed into wookiepedia from the original Star Wars Insider article. Form 2 explains the flashy old school salutes and movements of Dooku. Form 7 was designed to explain why Mace Windu was supposed to be the greatest swordsman in the universe but moved awkwardly because Sam Jackson is actually old as all get out. Et cetera et cetera.

There's a great doc on Netflix that features Bob Anderson called Reclaiming the Blade where he discusses the backstory of the original trilogy fights as well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a couple of Star Wars shirts, but that was when I was ten and they no longer fit me, I think they probably got sold in a rummage sale. Nowadays I'm too embarrassed to wear one, except maybe that Chewbika shirt.

Favorite games would have to be the entire X-wing series, Rogue Squadron (Have not played 2 or 3), The Jedi Knight series (Minus Academy which was kind of mediocre), and both Rebel Assaults.

Hated games would include TFU, and Force Commander. (Also somebody mentioned the A New Hope Gameboy game; Finally made it to Death Star, rescued princess, get lost in horrible elevator maze).

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 5, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I guess my favorite game is KOTOR. I still love 2 and acknowledge it as the better written of the two but just...I think KOTOR is more Star Wars-y. The stark light and dark side feels like a Star Wars game, 2 just isn't a Star Wars game, for all the right reasons, but it doesnt make me look at it as "The best Star Wars game".

Least...that's tough. There's been a ton of Star Wars garbage and I've been smart enough to avoid the worst. I'd say Jedi Power Battles of what I've played though. I just hated every part of it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Rogue Squadron for N64 is terrific (remember those AT-PTs at Fest? :argh: ), as is RSII for the cube. Forget RSIII unless you want to go through II's campaign with a friend. God knows how many hours I spent on Galactic Battlegrounds as a kid. I also liked cutting off Imperial officers' hands in Jedi Knight.

I haven't played too many Star Wars games, for instance I've never played any X-wing or TIE fighter games (I was always more of a Red Baron fan concerning flight sims), but if I were to choose a worst, it'd be Jedi Academy. Yuck.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Force Commander was my first RTS. Because of it, I can't enjoy RTS games. It killed an entire genre for me.

Although in all honesty it's probably because I'm ADD as hell and if a game is really slow and if I'm not running around blowing poo poo up all the time I'll get bored.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My nightmares are haunted by that lovely metal version of the Imperial Theme trying to get past a billion menus.

Also, I just remembered that Star Wars Demolition Derby game for the PSX that should really been a Arcade sort of game.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Casimir Radon posted:

(Also somebody mentioned the A New Hope Gameboy game; Finally made it to Death Star, rescued princess, get lost in horrible elevator maze).

The way past that is a random blind jump into a particular bit of the abyss. Really. It's where you can walk to the edge and there's three elevator tubes together, but there's no clue to tell you that that's jump point the first time. I only ever had two Gameboy games; I played that one to death for lack of options.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not necessarily my favorite Star Wars game but one I thoroughly enjoyed was Star Wars: Obi-Wan. I played the poo out of that game. I think I liked it so much because you played Obi-Wan and he's freakin' awesome. According to Wikipedia it was a terrible game :(

Edit: Also found this sweet Wikipedia article. There are so many games I have forgot about like Starfighter, X-Wing Alliance, and Yoda Stories. I can't believe I forgot about Yoda Stories!!

Favorite SW game: Star Wars: Yoda Stories

Poopelyse fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 5, 2011

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Force Commander was my first RTS. Because of it, I can't enjoy RTS games. It killed an entire genre for me.

Although in all honesty it's probably because I'm ADD as hell and if a game is really slow and if I'm not running around blowing poo poo up all the time I'll get bored.

I played and enjoyed force commander but I think it was because I was too sstupid to realise how legitimately bad of a game it was.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

KaosFactor posted:

I'm not sure why you're ignoring the Dark Empire series which kicked off the current EU in the early 90s. The idea of the Emporer being back because he can clone himself at will? The idea of Luke joining him to "understand" what his father went through? That's like a poo poo in the mouth the original trilogy right there.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cheesus posted:

I'm not sure why you're ignoring the Dark Empire series which kicked off the current EU in the early 90s. The idea of the Emporer being back because he can clone himself at will? The idea of Luke joining him to "understand" what his father went through? That's like a poo poo in the mouth the original trilogy right there.

Though the art was pretty amazing I thought.

Fid
Dec 2, 2010

'Bout time this town had
a new Sheriff

Poopelyse posted:

Not necessarily my favorite Star Wars game but one I thoroughly enjoyed was Star Wars: Obi-Wan. I played the poo out of that game. I think I liked it so much because you played Obi-Wan and he's freakin' awesome. According to Wikipedia it was a terrible game :(

OH GOD

I forgot about this abomination. I think somebody bought it for me? I don't remember why I owned it, but it was so loving god awful, and this was when I was far less discerning in my gaming tastes and didn't really follow reviews or anything.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
^
yeah, same. Totally forgot about it too. I remember it being really awkward to control.

Got to agree with KOTOR as the best games, the second one is probably one of my favourite games ever. I like how they tried to do something a little different and blur the lines between good/evil, lightside/darkside, and there were a lot of memorable characters in there.

Other than that, Battlefront is brilliant as multiplayer. Haven't played it in a good long time though, and these things don't allways age well. Will have to dig it out again and see.

I always wanted to check out Galaxies back when it first came out, and if it had come out today I'd probably be all over it. Still undecided on TOR though.

RedTeam fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 5, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I played through Jedi Knight and installed Jedi Outcast to continue. I was somewhat disappointed to be reminded that the saber combat in Outcast is, comparatively, complete dogshit after JK. In JK it's quick and deadly, while JO is too drat floaty and slow.

I'm playing through JO for the first time, and I agree. Also, gently caress Gran. And those Rodian snipers. I'm a loving Jedi...no, I'm goddamned Kyle Motherfucking Katarn and my lightsaber is too goddamn floaty/weak to deflect/kill poo poo fast.

Seriously, thermal detonator throwing motherfuckers. I just hear the 'clink clink clink' and I know those fucks are around.

Also, Galactic Battlegrounds was awesome (As a kid anyways). Re-skinned AOE, plus units that have never appeared in anything else (naval units come to mind).

My favorites: Rogue Squadron 3D, TIE Fighter (the LP of this is amazing), KOTOR2 (Obsidian :qq:)

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

movax posted:

I'm playing through JO for the first time, and I agree. Also, gently caress Gran. And those Rodian snipers. I'm a loving Jedi...no, I'm goddamned Kyle Motherfucking Katarn and my lightsaber is too goddamn floaty/weak to deflect/kill poo poo fast.

Seriously, thermal detonator throwing motherfuckers. I just hear the 'clink clink clink' and I know those fucks are around.

Also, Galactic Battlegrounds was awesome (As a kid anyways). Re-skinned AOE, plus units that have never appeared in anything else (naval units come to mind).

My favorites: Rogue Squadron 3D, TIE Fighter (the LP of this is amazing), KOTOR2 (Obsidian :qq:)

woah woah woah. There's a LET'S PLAY of TIE Fighter? What's the link?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

NeonTurtle posted:

woah woah woah. There's a LET'S PLAY of TIE Fighter? What's the link?
Prepare to be disappointed.

http://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is mostly just some dude going over the top with MS Paint.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

ZeeToo posted:

Well, what would you want out of an EU, if the Thrawn books aren't good enough?

The Thrawn trilogy introduced a reasonable threat to the post-RotJ heroes, kept the oddball technology and built off of it (like the Noghri web/tentacle shooting gun), remembered that it was a book and didn't try to be a movie that happened to exist in text form (ever seen a straight-up written version of a wirefu movie stunt scene?), was pretty good about keeping characters consistent with their movie portrayals, and upped the ante just slightly and kept stuff interesting by separating "evil Force user" from "the Empire".

What sort of novel could it have been to be better?

I would have been a lot less annoyed if they didn't quote themselves from the movies so much. It wasn't very likely that they actually would have remembered saying those lines while running from the bad guys.
Having bizarre enemies is a good thing and keeps with the originals. The way the movies worked was that it had normal people (and their non-human but definitely good friends) against a hostile and freakish universe or the opposite: the sterile, lifeless, hopeless, monochromatic empire. I think they tried to mix these elements when making Thrawn's henchmen and the wizard. I really didn't like the whole thing about the force making the battle go one way or another because of the user. It's another one of those instances of the mystique being taken away and the force becoming more like an app.

My main problem is that they won't let the characters move on. It's like they're stuck in some sort of purgatory of space adventures, or that they are like comic book characters. A good writer wouldn't need to squeeze water out of a rock like this, so that whole thing about source material is kind of true. Still you'd think that there would be enough $ and interest to get a good writer or writing team. Instead you expect me to believe that Wedge is the ultimate badass just because he was in both OT space battles.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cheesus posted:

And yet the take-away theme and message of the Dark Empire run was more on-point than basically anything else in the entirety of EU and especially the modern poo poo. And for the most part (excepting the weird rear end proportions) I loved the art.

stawk Archer posted:

I would have been a lot less annoyed if they didn't quote themselves from the movies so much. It wasn't very likely that they actually would have remembered saying those lines while running from the bad guys.
Having bizarre enemies is a good thing and keeps with the originals. The way the movies worked was that it had normal people (and their non-human but definitely good friends) against a hostile and freakish universe or the opposite: the sterile, lifeless, hopeless, monochromatic empire. I think they tried to mix these elements when making Thrawn's henchmen and the wizard. I really didn't like the whole thing about the force making the battle go one way or another because of the user. It's another one of those instances of the mystique being taken away and the force becoming more like an app.

My main problem is that they won't let the characters move on. It's like they're stuck in some sort of purgatory of space adventures, or that they are like comic book characters. A good writer wouldn't need to squeeze water out of a rock like this, so that whole thing about source material is kind of true. Still you'd think that there would be enough $ and interest to get a good writer or writing team. Instead you expect me to believe that Wedge is the ultimate badass just because he was in both OT space battles.

Not all of your post is dealing with failings of the Thrawn trilogy though. Zahn legitimately tried to move the story forwards in terms of characters and arcs, with mostly minor callbacks to the original movies. It's not his fault people like KJA and Troy Denning etc. took all of that and trampled it into the ground.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 5, 2011

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

My fave SW game's a tie between TIE Fighter (ohohoho) and Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. They were pretty incredible when they came out and are still thoroughly enjoyable today. I love the other X-Wing games as well, but TIE Fighter's definitely the best. Also, JK was the first game I played online, and I was involved in its wonderful community for several years, so I have very fond memories of the whole JK experience.

I don't think I've ever bought a SW game I ended up actively disliking, but I probably had the least fun with The Phantom Menace and can't really see myself ever playing it again. Doubt I'll play Force Commander again either, though at the time - in spite of the crap graphics, interface, and AI pathseeking - I actually did enjoy it.

KaosFactor posted:

You know, this is one of the reasons why I've always felt ambivalent about KotOR II. I think many people tend to ignore this because of Kreia and its well-written dialogue, but it's guilty of the same Force abuse that Kevin J. Anderson's books are. You've got a Force vampire who goes around rendering planets lifeless, a Force zombie who's effectively immortal (until you tell him that nobody loves him and he's a failure, at which points he just lays down and dies), and the story hinges on the existence of a character who's essentially a mobile black hole in the Force. It's obscured by Kreia's ambiguous lessons, debates about the Mandalorian Wars, philosophising about chaos theory, and the peculiar and frequently somewhat socially-challenged people you bring around with you, but beneath it all lurks something straight out of the worst the EU has to offer.

stawk Archer posted:

I really didn't like the whole thing about the force making the battle go one way or another because of the user. It's another one of those instances of the mystique being taken away and the force becoming more like an app.
Just to offer a different perspective, I've always rather liked this about Zahn's approach to Star Wars. Rather than having characters blithely waving around Force-powered wands and accomplishing astonishing feats, he implements the Force simply as a very useful tool - but also a dangerous one. Luke and other Force-using characters always have to struggle to a greater or lesser degree to find the right balance between relying on the Force and relying on 'natural' faculties. It's a major theme in Zahn's work, which incidentally seems to be reflected somewhat by Kreia in KotOR II.

quote:

On the whole this is certainly true, but in the context of the Thrawn trilogy it's important to realise that Heir to the Empire was the first new EU book in years - possibly the first to be set after RotJ as well, though I'm not completely certain of that - and it was the official start of the further progression of the Star Wars timeline. I think LucasFilm was fairly involved in its creation for that reason, moreso I expect than in the writing of later EU novels. It's not really surprising, then, that it's set only a few years after RotJ and that it stars main characters from the films.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Poopelyse posted:

I'M NOT SUUUURE
I'M NOT SUUUURE

Terrible voice acting, but I do shamefully admit I enjoyed it way more than I should. Using the second analog stick to control lightsaber movement was rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
I can easily picture Luke taking part in all of he new things in the Zahn books, and possibly Lando because that would fit with his character arc. Not so for Han or Leia. It didn't feel right for them to stay as action heroes because Han had so much time doing grunt work that he should be running things or using his experience to lead instead of refusingmto mature and go back to space pirate mode. Leia in the book didn't come across as the same character at all. In the movies, she was a likeable character but she had an element of bitchiness and haughtiness which made her better as a character that could get things done by force of personality and will. Like the original concept of Yoda, she could have been powerful and good without ever using a lightsaber in her life. (I'm jumping ahead here, but I think it started to go wrong when Zahn got her started on the part with being Luke 2.0). I was never really a fan of the sister thing either. Maybe she went with Solo because she fell in love with him and not Luke. Is that so hard to believe or did they have to be related too?

My biggest problem is the idea of the children of the main characters becoming the next group of central characters, which I've gathered from TBB's thread. It's like poetry, it rhymes~ with the whole Citizen Vader flaw that Plinkett pointed out in his Ep. III review. I appreciate that Zahn, at least, introduced some interesting new characters but why did no one else (apparently) pick up on this? Also why does everyone have a full name of three syllables? There are just to many bad trends that keep Star Wars from being anything but a great movie series with bad spinoffs, in my opinion.

stawk Archer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 5, 2011