Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm thinking of running forwards 9, and unloading everything into the enemy blackjack. Good idea/bad idea?

More or less. Blackjack D4 is a bit closer than the others, so there's no real reason not to gang up on him first. Can you make it to a hex with a bit of cover and/or elevation?

This may go against everything the Caballeros stand for, but you might want to stick with just firing one or two weapons rather than everything, and save your heat for when you can get a better shot. Maybe.

Oh, you probably want to move your sapper off that hilltop - right now he's in what would be a great sniping position for one of PTN's 'Mechs, he may get trodden on.

(Disclaimer: I feel it's only fair to warn you that I have no idea what I'm doing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My question is, would I have range to the Vindicator? Also, should I move my sapper closer to the infantry, and does his power only apply to the Death Commandos, or all infantry?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Any capellan infantry. It'd be kinda silly to blow up your own friendly infantry.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

bunnyofdoom posted:

My question is, would I have range to the Vindicator? Also, should I move my sapper closer to the infantry, and does his power only apply to the Death Commandos, or all infantry?

I don't think the sapper's going to be much use against the infantry. They're most likely going to hang out with the hostages or the surrounding buildings, which both negate the sapper's power. I think your best option is to have him retreat a little into the woods and hit any of the Cap mechs that set up on that ridge line with fireworks. Remember that if he goes out in the open he's pretty much dead.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hey, PTN, I just realized I forgot to send in that I wanted Lady Death to do her distraction move (the one with 50% chance of saving a hostage).

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Polaron posted:

Hey, PTN, I just realized I forgot to send in that I wanted Lady Death to do her distraction move (the one with 50% chance of saving a hostage).

You should probably state that you want to do that move every turn, unless we get some note that an important hostage is likely to be killed next.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Woops may have missremebered never mind.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Let's see, tactical advice, tactical advice...

Harry: Alright, pop quiz. Capellans with a dozen hostages, using them for cover, they're almost to a dropship. You're a thousand meters away. What do you do?
Jack: ...
Harry: Jack?
Jack: Shoot the hostages.
Harry: What?
Jack: Take them out of the equation. Go for the good wound and they can't get to the dropship with them. Clear shot.
Harry: You are deeply nuts, you know that? "Shoot the hostages"... jeez...

Warning: Tactical Advice from Keanu Reeves blockbusters may not be applicable or advisable in all situations.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 6, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

The answer to if you can shoot the Vindicator? No, not really. I can't see any way you'll even get within 20 hexes of it, and all those shots will be through multiple hexes of woods - there's really no point in shooting at the Vindie, you'll never hit the drat thing.

AS for the sappers, for the moment I'd say drop off that hilltop and into the rear woods (say, 1606?) and just pyrotechnic D3 to possibly slow it down. None of the infantry units are vulnerable from where you are, so leave 'em be right now. There'll be opportunities to blow them up soon enough, I'm sure.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Mukaikubo posted:

Let's see, tactical advice, tactical advice...

Harry: Alright, pop quiz. Capellans with a dozen hostages, using them for cover, they're almost to a dropship. You're a thousand meters away. What do you do?
Jack: ...
Harry: Jack?
Jack: Shoot the hostages.
Harry: What?
Jack: Take them out of the equation. Go for the good wound and they can't get to the dropship with them. Clear shot.
Harry: You are deeply nuts, you know that? "Shoot the hostages"... jeez...

Warning: Tactical Advice from Keanu Reeves blockbusters may not be applicable or advisable in all situations.

If someone headshots a Capellan mech, they are now required to reply with "Yeah, well I'm taller."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

KnoxZone posted:

At first I scoffed at the thought, but drat, over 3000 posts in half a month? If this thread lasts for a year you may be right.

Poptartsninja, the Pied Piper of Battletech.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Teledahn posted:

You should probably state that you want to do that move every turn, unless we get some note that an important hostage is likely to be killed next.

Yeah, that's a good thought.

PTN? I hereby state that I want to do this every turn (unless I choose to do the riskier one in case of Important Hostage, of course).

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
It might be a bit to metagamey but constantly begging for their lifes probably will have repercussions later on, not only will the girl's behavior in some way be reflected further down the line storywise, future hostage situations will probably end in a massacre way faster or begging moves her up in line so she get's shot earlier.

It's too tempting to use this ability every turn, so PTN will make you pay dearly for abusing it. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it but maybe the right thing to do isn't to let them die screaming and begging for their lifes, maybe the right thing to do is to have them put out of their misery by their own people.

hankor fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 6, 2011

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

hankor posted:

It's too tempting to use this ability every turn, so PTN will make you pay dearly for abusing it. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it but maybe the right thing to do isn't to let them die screaming and begging for their lifes, maybe the right thing to do is to have them put out of their misery by their own people.

That's certainly something important to keep in mind. We're not only playing battletech, we're playing PTN's game too.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Is it just Me or is the hit-detection in MW2:Mercs messed up?

Been trying to shoot them in the drat cockpit from point blank with a machinegun and it only works rarely unless it's a Jenner...

How the gently caress DO I hit them right?

edit:

Arquinsiel posted:

Pure dumb luck.

MW2 and (I think) the expansions randomise "hits" to determine if a shot will actually be counted or not. I've seen multiple shots pass right through enemy mechs and not do any damage before. I've also seen a single CERLL shot hit a mech in the head at 1800 meters range and kill it dead. Game be trippin'.

What the hell, that could explain everything, so what IS the best weapon for headshots?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 6, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Koorisch posted:

Is it just Me or is the hit-detection in MW2:Mercs messed up?

Been trying to shoot them in the drat cockpit from point blank with a machinegun and it only works rarely unless it's a Jenner...

How the gently caress DO I hit them right?
Pure dumb luck.

MW2 and (I think) the expansions randomise "hits" to determine if a shot will actually be counted or not. I've seen multiple shots pass right through enemy mechs and not do any damage before. I've also seen a single CERLL shot hit a mech in the head at 1800 meters range and kill it dead. Game be trippin'.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I've been doing some more research (read googling) on Battletech since that last link to the Japanese version and wel. Apparently Battletech was released in German as well. From the looks of it they almost got all of the game related books though only maybe 10 of the novels (no loss there really).

The Japanese pulled the plug on the series a lot earlier it seems.

They did have some nifty stuff like

Seems to be some kind of Battletech for dummies book. :D

But also crap like this

:negative:

The illustrations for the earliest novels well, I'll just leave it up for you to decide, it's not like the American releases where Rembrandts themselves

At least one of the Black Widow source books looks good!

Images mostly courtesy of yahoo auctions.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Those 'mechs look like they came straight out of Armored Core. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I hate all of those incrementally more than the last. MECHS DO NOT NEED SPEED HOLES.

edit: Holy poo poo one of them looks like it just has two pump-action shotguns for arms. Those are the biggest wooden grips I have ever seen.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Defiance Industries posted:

I hate all of those incrementally more than the last. MECHS DO NOT NEED SPEED HOLES.

edit: Holy poo poo one of them looks like it just has two pump-action shotguns for arms. Those are the biggest wooden grips I have ever seen.

..... There's no speed holes on any of those mechs. And those "pump action grips" are the Large Lasers mounted underneath that Rifleman's Autocannons.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kodiak-3? I figure that's a mech that deserved shotgun arms if I ever saw one. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

..... There's no speed holes on any of those mechs. And those "pump action grips" are the Large Lasers mounted underneath that Rifleman's Autocannons.

The entire bottom row has speed holes on various parts of their legs. That, or they have jump jets that fire straight forward from the sides of their ankles.

And yes, I am aware that is supposed to be a Rifleman. However, they made the large lasers out of wood, and made the AC/5s totally featureless. Hence, it looks like they just stuck shotguns on a robot with no arms. Thus, making it look retarded.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

The entire bottom row has speed holes on various parts of their legs.

Defiance, what the hell kind of hyperweed do they smoke out there on Hesperus II?

There's not a single speed hole on those goddamn BattleMech's legs.

quote:

And yes, I am aware that is supposed to be a Rifleman. However, they made the large lasers out of wood, and made the AC/5s totally featureless. Hence, it looks like they just stuck shotguns on a robot with no arms. Thus, making it look retarded.

Exactly what sort of features is a honking great gun barrel supposed to have? Speed holes?

I like the look of the Japanese Rifleman, and frankly it's a much better alternative to the Harmony Gold 'mechs than the Project Phoenix bullshits were.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Defiance, what the hell kind of hyperweed do they smoke out there on Hesperus II?

There's not a single speed hole on those goddamn BattleMech's legs.

quote:

[i]Exactly what sort of features is a honking great gun barrel supposed to have? Speed holes?

I like the look of the Japanese Rifleman, and frankly it's a much better alternative to the Harmony Gold 'mechs than the Project Phoenix bullshits were.

I know it's called a Rifleman, but I don't think ACTUAL rifle is what you want your weapon to look like. They're also way too goddamn long in proportion to the rest of the chassis and makes them look like Long Toms. I mean, the Atlas uses an AC/20 and that thing can barely nudge itself in the elbow with it.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Those aren't speed holes, numbnuts!

Speed holes are when you put holes in solid structure that shouldn't have any goddamn holes in it, like the saucer or the nacelle pylons on a Starship in STO.

On the first one, the red one, those are built-up portions on the side of sufficiently-study mech legs. Call 'em extra ablative armor plates or whatever.

On the second one, there's no loving holes at all! Those are the goddamned jump-jets sticking out of the side of the legs!

And on the third, that hole on the front? Yeah, that's there so the foot can actuate without getting caught up on the shin cowling. The others? More freaking jump jets!

quote:

I know it's called a Rifleman, but I don't think ACTUAL rifle is what you want your weapon to look like. They're also way too goddamn long in proportion to the rest of the chassis and makes them look like Long Toms. I mean, the Atlas uses an AC/20 and that thing can barely nudge itself in the elbow with it.

That's really more of a flaw with the Western mechs' cannon barrels. The Rifleman's barrels actually look appropriate to firing a shell out to a significant range, let alone a "stream" of said shells like Autocannons' supposedly launch; the western mechs' "autocannons" are all retardedly small.

Also, have you checked the length of the barrels on the western Rifleman any time recently? They're also about that long - oh, and for some retarded reason some imbecile decided that a large laser and an AC/5 should look identical.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Exactly what sort of features is a honking great gun barrel supposed to have? Speed holes?

You should stop being such a stuck up prick about poo poo that doesn't really matter. It's nice that you're pro-Japan and stuff, but seriously. As a quasi-neutral third party, you seem to have an enormous stick up your rear end and are using a disproportionate level of force in response to someone saying that the Japanese variants look goofy compared to the American versions.

But yeah, keep white knighting for the honor of GLORIOUS NIPPON!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Let's Play Battletech: Spergin' Out Over Speed Holes

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Zaodai posted:

You should stop being such a stuck up prick about poo poo that doesn't really matter. It's nice that you're pro-America and stuff, but seriously. As a quasi-neutral third party, you seem to have an enormous stick up your rear end and are using a disproportionate level of force in response to someone saying that the American variants look goofy compared to the Japanese versions.

But yeah, keep white knighting for the honor of DEMOCRATIC EAGLELAND!

Sorry, what? We were discussing the particulars of those specific battlemechs and whether or not there were, in fact, "speed holes" present in the design. You decided to bring art style in general up.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
What a great new derail this tread has taken!

Honestly, the japanese release mech designs are all really generic and bland. The artist is just mixing stuff around on a few basic designs and it ends up feeling really samey. My guess is they gave this guy 2 weeks to come up with 30 mech designs and this is the best he could do in such a short timespan. The 3055 IIC designs were much better even if they apparently neglected to tell the artist that some of the mechs were actually supposed to carry weapons.

In ShadowDragon8685's defense he was responding to some specific complaints put forward about "speed holes" and a "featureless barrel". If anybody think those little black slits on the legs of those mechs are speed holes then I hope they never take a close look at the legs of 3025 designs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The problem I see with those mechs is that they all like kind of the same. They're all just bulgy humans and not mechanical enough. 'Mechs are supposed to be big and those could be 5 meters or 500 - you'd never be able to tell just from looking at them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Sorry, what? We were discussing the particulars of those specific battlemechs and whether or not there were, in fact, "speed holes" present in the design. You decided to bring art style in general up.

No, see, someone mentioned speed holes (which you wrote off as ablative armor) and you just barge in and start screaming profanity like a madman rather than trying, oh, I don't know, being a civilized human being.

I realize that it's SA, and that it's not required. But the nice part about that is that it means when you're being an overbearing rear end in a top hat, I can call you an overbearing rear end in a top hat.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah, a lot of them are kind of samey, I'll grant that: But not all of them.

I kind of like the art style involved; generally more rounded, more human-like, definitely a lot like Armored Core. Besides, we're already ignoring all kinds of physics to have BattleMechs not only be viable war machines at all, but the premier, unbeatable war-machine of the setting. Given that much, why must they look like someone stuck legs and arms on a main battle tank and why can't they look a little more whimsical?

Hell, I like to imagine that the Japanese mechs are different production runs of the same 'mechs:

So you could have this:

And this:

Fighting side-by-side. Or more likely standing about five 'mechs removed from one another at the manufacturers' company museum. :)

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 6, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Zaodai posted:

No, see, someone mentioned speed holes (which you wrote off as ablative armor) and you just barge in and start screaming profanity like a madman rather than trying, oh, I don't know, being a civilized human being.

Profanity? Screaming?

What are you on about? Does the word "hell" still get considered profanity? Is Sister Mary Sade going to come over and beat me about the mouth until my jaw needs to be wired shut for uttering the word "H-E-Double-Hockeysticks" in any company at all?

For crying out loud, the sentence "Read the goddamn forum rules before posting!!!" (with three exclamation points) is located to the left of this very post entry-box.

If I offended Defiance by calling him "numbnuts," when I saw him talking what appeared to be nonsense, then I'll apologize - to him. You are getting all offended on his behalf.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

STALKER IMG

What's with that guy's fetish for checkerboards? Why is it in every stupid drawing he does? Also that picture contains a spoiler.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

What's with that guy's fetish for checkerboards? Why is it in every stupid drawing he does?

You're focusing on the checkerboards rather than the fact the guy drew essentially a walking dildo?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

What's with that guy's fetish for checkerboards? Why is it in every stupid drawing he does?

Maybe it's so the high-speed gun cameras can get good footage of fire incoming on the 'mechs and the velocity of the incoming weapon can be measured? :iiam:

But yeah, I think it looks pretty stupid on any 'mech that's not meant to be an industrial 'mech (where you could imagine it's yellow and black alert patterns) or a police 'mech (same thing.)

quote:

Also that picture contains a spoiler.

GAH, crap! I didn't even see that there!

Replaced it with another image.

anakha posted:

You're focusing on the checkerboards rather than the fact the guy drew essentially a walking dildo?

That too. It's either a walking dildo, bristling with weapons, or somebody chopped the aft and wings off an aerospace fighter and put on big old shitkickin' legs.

To be fair to checkerboard guy, though, the image I switched it too, the one without the <Redacted by order of <Redacted>> is much older and also looks like a walking dildo aerospace fighter. So he was just faithfully recreating something else retarded.

Compared to both of those, though, I prefer the MekTek stalker that they made for MW4Mercs, but I prefer the Japanese Stalker to it.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
What I dislike with most of the Japanese designs (and the lower left crusader in particular) is the legs themselves. With their short stubby legs and gigantic feet they seem to be more for posing than walking. Try imaging most of these run at 60-120kph without cringing. Most of them looks like they glide on their feet or have tracks or wheels there or something.
That said there are details I like on them and the rifleman looks good. I really like the Locust in particular but then again it is quite true to the original fasa design.

I have thus far failed to track down any Japanese Battletech figurines. Would be kind of fun to have some of those. With their gigantic feet they wouldn't need a base to stand. :D

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm pretty sure the original stalker is just a Leopard CV with legs.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

On a gun it's called an "air-cooling jacket!" :eng101:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

They were done by the same people that originally drew the Unseen:eng99:

Personally I think the Japanese designs look like muck, and sadly a lot of the Catalyst modern designs have gone that way too :smith:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm pretty sure the original stalker is just a Leopard CV with legs.

Like I said: they chopped the rear end off something that flew and welded on legs instead.

quote:

On a gun it's called an "air-cooling jacket!" :eng101:

Perhaps, but since when has Battletech actually done "form-follows function" instead of "this form kinda sorta looks like it followed function, even though we did in fact put the cart before the horse."

quote:

They were done by the same people that originally drew the Unseen:eng99:

You mean 20 years later after their personal art styles had shifted, and they were working under the restriction of "it has to look as much like the original thing as you can make it look without giving the lawyers a room to say it's the same thing?"

Honestly...?

Unseen Marauder, Reseen Marauder, Japanese Marauder, and MekTek's Marauder before going "legit" made them strip the Unseen out of the MekPak, for good measure.

Yes, the J-Marauder is fugly. It has a few too many widgets and the feet are probably unnecessarily articulated in both directions. But it at least has the advantage of not trying to be what it is not allowed to be.

It's like the artist was given a very vague description of the Marauder as being a reverse-joint legged 'mech with two heavy weapon arms containing a PPC and a laser, and a big cannon hanging over the top, some pew pew on the side torsos with a distinctly non-humanoid torso shape and was told to go nuts. And he did.

It may be fugly, but it is its own 'mech.

The Reseen, on the other hand, is literally a knockoff. The off-brand, store brand, generic Marauder, if you will. It was done by someone quite competent, yes, but he was obviously trying to copy the original Marauder as much as he could without the lawyers getting involved. The torso is a hellish mishmash of humanoid and non-humanoid, like someone took a hacksaw to a proper nose-forward body, and stuck the arms up way too high for that design.

Frankly I think the Marauder from the MekPack is probably the best. It's a re-imagining of the original Marauder so it doesn't look quite so goofy, but it's clearly the same machine. Marauder 1.02A, if you will, the new model. Unfortunately that's not good enough for the lawyers, and it never will be.

quote:

Personally I think the Japanese designs look like muck, and sadly a lot of the Catalyst modern designs have gone that way too :smith:

Translation: You want your 'mechs to look like tanks with arms and legs. They don't look like "muck," they just don't look like srsbizness. The J-designs and the Catalyst modern designs say "gently caress it, this is a game about goddamned giant robots, we're not going to draw like this is a grognard tank game with legs. We're going to draw some goddamn giant robots."

Ahhh crap, we're getting into an art debate, aren't we?

Maybe we should make a new thread for this somewhere? Anyone want to make it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You mean 20 years later after their personal art styles had shifted, and they were working under the restriction of "it has to look as much like the original thing as you can make it look without giving the lawyers a room to say it's the same thing?"
No, I mean the Japanese mechs were literally drawn by the same people that drew the Unseen within the first release of the game as "Battletech".

The Reseen range from better than the Unseen by far to absolutely dire. I love the Reseen Locust and Archer. The Reseen Warhammer? Pass.

I'm more talking about stuff like the WoB Celestials as having the specific greeblyness and odd proportions that most of the Japanese re-designs have (the Japanese designs have HUGE feet and odd torso/arm proportions. A few of the Japanese designs are awesome, like the Dragon, Stalker and Stinger, the rest leave me wondering how the gently caress they're supposed to move or are just generally aesthetically unpleasing to me.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Translation: You want your 'mechs to look like tanks with arms and legs. They don't look like "muck," they just don't look like srsbizness. The J-designs and the Catalyst modern designs say "gently caress it, this is a game about goddamned giant robots, we're not going to draw like this is a grognard tank game with legs. We're going to draw some goddamn giant robots."
Translation: "I'm going to tell you what you think because I know your mind better than you do". Seriously, gently caress right off with this poo poo.

• Locked thread