Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Yeah, calling them chapbooks is kind of a stretch. It seems like, at most, he just organized a bunch of his random ideas into loosely-connected threads and scribbled them into a dollar-store notepad.

It's possible that the loose, random feel of them is what he was going for. If so, he did a good job with it. If not, then I'm not clear on what the selling point of them would be outside of "New content by the Achewood guy, in lieu of actual new strips." With that said, I did kind of enjoy them -- it's always fun to feel like you see into an artist's head & the "chapbooks" gave me that feeling. They're a poor substitute for new strips or in-character Fanflow updates, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ProfZoom posted:

So to anyone who has made the beercan chicken recipe, a question: Would using a smaller bird complicate things?
I just made this today, and I would say use a taller can, anything 20 ounces. I used a 12 ounce can and it barely stayed upright, and I had to stand it back up at one point. As long as the can fits the hole (and the hole can be expanded with a quick knife cut) it's good to go.

It's an easy way to make good chicken.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anyone still seasoning their dishes with Ray's Rad Chilies, or has a sauce embargo been enacted in protest of slow updates?
It's surprising how long a case of that stuff will last you.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 28, 2011

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
This thread should probably just be in GWS now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
More chapbook stuff today, if you have fanflow/still care. Looks like it's going to be a one-update month...

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ugly In The Morning posted:

More chapbook stuff today, if you have fanflow/still care. Looks like it's going to be a one-update month...

Yep. Onstad is "back" :rolleyes:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

phuzzylodgik posted:

The store being down is a huge bummer.

I really wanted the cookbooks. I mean, the second one is less than a year old, right?
My girlfriend keeps saying "I should really read Achewood," and I keep saying "Yes, you should really read Achewood." She says "You should get me the hardcopies for Christmas/birthday/whatever," I say "The store's been down like forever and the first volume isn't available on Amazon. Ache wood dot com dammit!"

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

So, I'll be the rear end in a top hat and ask an obvious-but-unpleasant question:

If Onstad took a bunch of money from fans in pre-orders and hasn't delivered at all, has made no notice of his intention to deliver the items that were pre-ordered, and in fact appears to no longer operate his online store from which they were ordered... should fans start discussing fraud charges against him?

I have no desire to throw the guy under the bus but I can't really see this behavior as anything but fraudulent, unless I'm missing something here.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

picosecond posted:

So, I'll be the rear end in a top hat and ask an obvious-but-unpleasant question:

If Onstad took a bunch of money from fans in pre-orders and hasn't delivered at all, has made no notice of his intention to deliver the items that were pre-ordered, and in fact appears to no longer operate his online store from which they were ordered... should fans start discussing fraud charges against him?

I have no desire to throw the guy under the bus but I can't really see this behavior as anything but fraudulent, unless I'm missing something here.

but brain problems

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

picosecond posted:

I would at least try to get a chargeback, unless you've have an order for so long that it's not possible (I dunno the time limits for those things).

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's six months for Paypal transactions.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Maybe try and ask a man on a twitter?

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I was all ready to come in here with a hurf durf about how great Achewood used to be but how it's pretty much tailed off and when it is updated can seem like it's a bit phoned in and then I read about the brain problems and saw Onstad describing himself as having a summer/autumn/winter of discontent and now I feel like kind of a dick and like I might be just feeling butthurt about not getting my three free doses of talking cats a week anymore (I did buy a hardcover so that counts as contributing right?). Get well soon.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

glug posted:

Maybe try and ask a man on a twitter?

Or e-mail the guy like a regular human being?

As someone who has enjoyed years of free comics I don't believe I'm 'owed' more Achewood or anything, but I don't think its unreasonable to bitch about Achewood petering out, either.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Or e-mail the guy like a regular human being?

I don't use Twitter and I've sent several e-mails that went unanswered (and I'm not the only one who's reported this when inquiring about when our stuff is arriving). I have no other points of contact. Jeez, it's not like I just jumped straight into ARREST THIS GUY mode. I'm a fan but this behavior is shady to me, "brain problems" or not.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The link that gets floated on assetbar when this comes up is http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/reporting.php

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buh-buh-but who will draw Achewood for us if Onstad goes to court?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Who's drawing Achewood for us now?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No one. :downsrim:

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
OK having just finished the third hardcover I thought I'd come back to this thread to see what was what (last time I posted here Onstad was posting responses to questions as I recall).

It seems like Achewood has died and/or gone on hiatus, which is a drat shame - I know Onstad's been active on Twitter and whatnot - what's the back-story here?

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Jeremys Iron posted:

It seems like Achewood has died and/or gone on hiatus, which is a drat shame - I know Onstad's been active on Twitter and whatnot - what's the back-story here?

You know pretty much everything we know at this point.

The only thing I would add is that Onstad posted a new strip a while ago, citing "brain problems" as the reason for the lack of strips, and claiming to be back. But that was forever ago, and no strips since.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

The saddest thing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

My annoyance with the update schedule has given way to worry for Onstad. I'm actually really concerned now.

Please be okay, Mr Onstad.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to keep assuming he's busy with these hardback full-on published books. Every since he started with the Great Outdoor Fight the update rates have been noticeably declining to what we're seeing now.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Onstad posted another one of his little sketchbooks on the fanflow today with this little note:

Onstad posted:

Oh, I want to get back to cartooning, believe me. I've just been lost in the woods a bit with it. Stay in touch.

XO,
/C

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

choobs posted:

Onstad posted another one of his little sketchbooks on the fanflow today with this little note:

Well that explains it; he's been in a hotel room next door to John Goodman

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.

Javid posted:

The link that gets floated on assetbar when this comes up is http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/reporting.php
that website itself looks really unprofessional; I'd be worried about a scam from them

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Maybe he should wrap up the high school van storyline with Nice Pete repeatedly screaming I WILL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Erebus posted:

Maybe he should wrap up the high school van storyline with Nice Pete repeatedly screaming I WILL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND

LOOK UPON MEEEEEEEE

Nice Pete does seem like the sort of fella that would give a guy a mysterious box and tell you to look after it for him.

Also I will never understand why more people don't know about the most awesome scene of John Goodman's career.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Utterly terrifying and hilarious, I can see Nice Pete staying in Hotel Earle.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Also I will never understand why more people don't know about the most awesome scene of John Goodman's career.
I guess you're leaving us to guess, then?

For anyone else who wanted to know what Rev. Bleech_ was being cryptic about, he's talking about a movie called Barton Fink, courtesy of several minutes of googling.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If mention of John Goodman in a hotel doesn't immediately make you think of Barton Fink then I am sorry for the sad, dull life you must live.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Get some culture you mooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKm-_VyNVoM

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's on Netflix. Watch it. You should already have.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
That was actually John Turturro in Barton Fink

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Gomi posted:

That was actually John Turturro in Barton Fink

Surely you aren't saying that John Goodman wasn't in a hotel room in Barton Fink. Because he totally was.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"They say I'm a madman, Barton, but I'm not mad at anyone. Honest, I'm not."

Man, that's a Nice Pete line if ever there was one.

(Goodman's second most awesome scene? People Like Us. True Stories rules.)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Halloween Jack posted:

My girlfriend keeps saying "I should really read Achewood," and I keep saying "Yes, you should really read Achewood." She says "You should get me the hardcopies for Christmas/birthday/whatever," I say "The store's been down like forever and the first volume isn't available on Amazon. Ache wood dot com dammit!"

FYI the second hardcover covers a lot of the early stuff and is probably the best place to start as a reader.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
So is this the longest the strip has gone without an update? This is fairly disappointing after the "I'm back..." alt-text from about 36 days ago. I know the chap-books have been coming out, but after reading the free one, I can't get excited enough to subscribe to the fan-flow. That, and I feel like the donate link at the top of the page is just mocking me. I still check the page every day, but it just leads to disappointment, so I need to break the habit. Has anybody gotten a response into inquiries about their purchases since the recent discussion in the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Where's the donation link to keep the cartoonist lit and firing?