Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

SassySally posted:

I finally decided to start an Etsy shop. Mine is at http://www.etsy.com/shop/nmfolkman. It's crochet items including Kindle/ E-reader covers, stuffed animals, and will soon have bibs and booties.

Example:

The Kindle cover is cute but I have some feedback. You may want to explain / better photograph what you mean by cover. For instance I looked at it but I'm a little confused about what kind of cover it is. Is it a pouch with a side opening or a top? or is it something that goes over the kindle, but with a window so you can read with it on? You also might want to specify that it's sized for a Kindle 3.

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
What can I do if I see somebody selling something illegal on Etsy? There are a number of people on Etsy that sell animal skulls which is mostly fine, but I just came across someone selling a real skull of a bird species which is illegal to possess and WAY illegal to sell.

Having or selling wildlife parts from certain species can net a person a hefty $5,000 fine or even jail time.

I'm sure it's simple ignorance on the seller's part but what do I do?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Comrade Quack posted:

The Kindle cover is cute but I have some feedback. You may want to explain / better photograph what you mean by cover. For instance I looked at it but I'm a little confused about what kind of cover it is. Is it a pouch with a side opening or a top? or is it something that goes over the kindle, but with a window so you can read with it on? You also might want to specify that it's sized for a Kindle 3.

Thanks! I'll make those clarifications. :)

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

razz posted:

What can I do if I see somebody selling something illegal on Etsy? There are a number of people on Etsy that sell animal skulls which is mostly fine, but I just came across someone selling a real skull of a bird species which is illegal to possess and WAY illegal to sell.

Having or selling wildlife parts from certain species can net a person a hefty $5,000 fine or even jail time.

When you are looking at an item, there's a spot on the right side of the screen, above the price, that says "report this item to Etsy." Other than that, I guess calling Fish and Game? If you don't want this person arrested, reporting it to Etsy will probably get them to take the listing down, as I am sure they don't want illegal activity happening on their site.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!

razz posted:

You can also press the link for "contact seller" from the listing and it will bring up a conversation box with the link to the item in it, and you can tell the seller directly what the issue is. That is if you don't want to immediately get them in trouble. Reporting them to etsy likely won't get it taken care of in a timely fashion (they're horribly swamped), so that might be the best first step, and if they're rude to you, you can always report them to the authorities in their state.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Chaco posted:

When you are looking at an item, there's a spot on the right side of the screen, above the price, that says "report this item to Etsy." Other than that, I guess calling Fish and Game? If you don't want this person arrested, reporting it to Etsy will probably get them to take the listing down, as I am sure they don't want illegal activity happening on their site.

Okay, thanks, I will do the "report to Etsy" thing. Wildlife laws are a little vague and confusing and I know ignorance isn't an excuse but I'd still hate to see someone get busted over something like that.

EDIT: Didn't see flutterbyblue's response until I posted. I think I might try that first.

razz fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 7, 2011

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I really would urge that if you think it's a case of the seller being ignorant. I know I would want to know if I were selling something illegal before possibly getting in trouble with the law/etsy.

But I'd definitely contact the fish and game authorities in their state if they're rude/dismissive/ignore you before I'd go to etsy over it. They're so swamped any response is usually slower than molasses covered snails attempting to go uphill on black ice.

raxor
Nov 26, 2003
Hi everyone,

Seeing as this is an Etsy Lovefest, I thought it would be a good time to give myself a shameless plug.

My store is https://raxor.etsy.com, the same items are also listed on https://raxor.artfire.com (where I don't pay 3% yay!) - I specifically target spinners, knitters and crocheters. It's a niche group but a nice community.

If any knitters/crocheters/weavers like any of the spinning batts I've listed, they can be spun into any size yarn free of charge (goons only, everyone else pays).

I'm starting to switch from using commercial wool to washing, dying and blending my own fleeces which is awesome fun - and vegans may even consider using this wool as it's from pet sheep who are purely pet sheep that need to be shorn for their own comfort and don't end up at the butchers.

I also have soy, corn, seaweed and bamboo fibre so can do pure vegan yarn on request.

Currently working on spinning and making accessories for my next market stall in Melbourne, Australia.. if you're around Seddon on the 26th March tell me you're a goon and I may just give you a gift for free ;-)

Critiques, comments, hatemail accepted.

raxor
Nov 26, 2003
PS can I say the link provided by the OP, http://www.etsy.com/shop/loop, is HEAVEN to spinners.. I've seen quite a few Loop pieces in person and they are all amazing. As a spinner, I'm happy to say she's one of the BEST fibre artists providing supplies out there. Although pricey, once you go Loop you'll never go back - you get more than what you pay for!

goon spotted
Nov 13, 2009
I ordered some Wuzzes cat toys from another etsy seller, sparklehorse. SA goons will recognize a lot of the emoticons when you see the listing. They arrived today and they are amazing!! I kinda don't want to let our cats play with them because they are so nice. The banana is my favorite and my hubby (Taco Box) likes :byodood: best.

Click here for the full 1161x706 image.

:gonk: :stare: :byodood:

You can find the Wuzzes here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sparklehorse

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Well, my sister sold a couple of her abstract paintings, and I thought maybe we'd throw one up on etsy and see what happens.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67872549/boxes-abstract-painting

It's the only item in me shop so...

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Recently unemployed, I decided to start making stuff with my hands and found myself with a bunch of perler bead coasters, card holders, needlepointed 8-bit characters and a bunch kitschy stuff of that sort. Has anyone had any luck selling stuff like that, and would I be considered a copycat seller for going into a market that uses a lot of really old designs?
Thanks!

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009

LurkLurkLurkLurk posted:

/shamelessness https://snakeriversoap.etsy.com

After I posted this she yelled at me because "MY PAGE IS NOT FINISHED YET" but welcomes any constructive criticism.

I figure I might add something here. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on bath stuff and her shop is missing a few things I consider essential. One is smell descriptions need to be more elaborate.

From Creamy Fresh Goat Milk and Honey Shea Butter Soap:
"It's so smooth and creamy and it smells soooo good.
Like eggy french toast or graham crackers."

This brings to mind cinnamon and bread, not milk and honey.

Her descriptions are a little too casual for me but might appeal to other people. Using "filler garbage" and "dr." instead of "doctor" throws me off.

Finally, and the most important, I will almost never buy a one-scent product. For the money, I need complexity.

I did really like her breakdown of the ingredients on the bath salts and usage suggestions.

If you would like, I could link you to examples of soaps I have bought and tell you what appealed to me.

Dangereuse
Dec 27, 2009

Terrain is bumpy, vegetation may be thick. Proceed with caution.

raxor posted:

Currently working on spinning and making accessories for my next market stall in Melbourne, Australia.. if you're around Seddon on the 26th March tell me you're a goon and I may just give you a gift for free ;-)

Melbourne CBD goon obsessed with crochet here. Tell me more about this market...

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

We did a couple of markets over the past couple of months without much success. I don't think it was our fault - just both didn't have a lot of customers. The feedback was generally good though. However, this has left us with an enormous amount of stock. So much that we can't even store it. I'm not quite sure what to do with it because the vast majority of our products are customised (customer chooses the colour).

I've begun listing some of our larger items like our jewellery storage trees as 'premade' items at a discount. http://www.etsy.com/shop/Weaselfactory?section_id=6446107 But for the little things like earrings and hairpins I just don't know what to do with them. We both have ultra-full time jobs and we don't have the time to photograph and list every item that we have. Not to mention that we're not home during daylight hours so it's difficult enough to photograph things.

I was thinking of listing some sale sets of items to save some time and clear some space - for example, a mirror pink ring with matching mirror pink brooch - groups of items that match. Opinions about this or other suggestions?

Lastly, we're approaching our 500th sale - which I could have never, ever imagined. Through our Facebook promotion page, we're giving whoever orders our 500th sale an extra £30 to spend in our shop (about US$50). Remember to tell us if you are a goon when ordering, as we'll send you freebies - and right now, we have a lot to send!

We're putting the shop of vacation from Tuesday for about 1.5 weeks because I'm going to visit the USA and the other Weasel from Weaselfactory - xdrquinnx - is spending the week playing Call of Duty.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Selling things as sets might work well for you then. If you were to give a small discount for hair pins that you were selling as sets of three, four, six, what have you, that might also have good results.

One other thing is to put up a listing for a brooch, photograph all your brooches together or in groups, and state that the customer should tell you which brooch, earring, hair pin, etc they would like at checkout. Sometimes you have to prompt the customer with a convo, and it has more of a potential for involving conversations, but if you don't have time to photograph everything individually it might work well, especially since you can just cross off what is available when you sell out on one of the things/colors in the picture and just relist the listing. I've seen it work for other sellers.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

zoecore posted:

Lastly, we're approaching our 500th sale - which I could have never, ever imagined.

Congratulations!! I always loved the happy day/crappy day rings, I wish I had money so I could buy stuff from you ^^'

raxor
Nov 26, 2003

Dangereuse posted:

Melbourne CBD goon obsessed with crochet here. Tell me more about this market...

It's at Seddon Uniting Church (don't worry - completely un-church related) on 26th March, 9:30am - 3:30pm.

It's located on the corner of Gammon and Mackay streets in Seddon. As far as I know I'm the only person spinning/selling wool. And I just got a shipment of weirdo freaky fleece in - camel, yak, norwegian sheep and black welsh sheep wool - so if you like something different come check it out.

http://www.maribyrnongmakersmarket.com.au/our.makers.html

goon spotted
Nov 13, 2009
I created a coupon code this morning for members of SA to use. The code is SAGOON15 and you'll save 15% off your purchase in my shop. I make catnip cat toys and cat mats. Browse my shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheCatFarm

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Would anyone care to share their thoughts on shipping? Right now I have everything going flat rate priority mail but I see other shops with much lower shipping. Do you think the higher rate is suppressing response?

I have some new yarns going up in the shop. I'd appreciate any feedback on listings, pricing, etc. Also, I finally figured out how to make a coupon (thanks, goon spotted). It's GOONKNITS and for 15% off. Here's the shop:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TwoSiberiansFiber :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Flat rate priority isn't the best option (in my opinion) unless you're shipping heavier things. If your general shipment only weighs an ounce or two it would only cost you a couple of dollars to ship even overseas if you go first class USPS. My average package weight is about 1.2 ounces, which costs approximately 3$ to ship to France or even Australia. My domestic shipping usually isn't more than 1-2$. Or, if you can get more than one skein in a box, consider just charging the initial shipping and nothing extra for the others if you still want to go flat rate.

goon spotted
Nov 13, 2009

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Would anyone care to share their thoughts on shipping? Right now I have everything going flat rate priority mail but I see other shops with much lower shipping. Do you think the higher rate is suppressing response?

Have you checked to see if the regular priority boxes would be less expensive? It can be a crap shoot finding the regular priority boxes at some post offices because the postal system seems to be all about pushing the flat rate stuff.

What about shipping in padded envelopes? If the total shipping weight is 13 ounces or less you can ship at the First Class mail rate. First Class Mail International allows you to send a maximum of 4 pounds which is a bargain! I would go to an office supply store and get some envelopes then divide the cost of each envelope and build it into your shipping costs. This would allow you to bring down the cost of your international shipping (I think the US shipping looks fine in your listings).

I would suggest editing each listing to say what the shipping method is for your destinations. I recently purchased something and the shipping was pretty pricey so I thought I was paying for Priority. Called me shocked when the item finally arrived and it was marked Parcel Post!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

goon spotted posted:

What about shipping in padded envelopes? If the total shipping weight is 13 ounces or less you can ship at the First Class mail rate. First Class Mail International allows you to send a maximum of 4 pounds which is a bargain! I would go to an office supply store and get some envelopes then divide the cost of each envelope and build it into your shipping costs. This would allow you to bring down the cost of your international shipping (I think the US shipping looks fine in your listings).

Do this. My the kittens I sell are light and soft enough to be sent First Class in a padded envelope so it only costs me total about $2 to ship instead of $5+.

MephistosBistro
Apr 25, 2010

We're not half as bad
as God is good.
Hey guys. I made bookmarks. :3: They're pretty cheap but sturdy and cute. I haven't sold any yet because they're my first item, but I've been giving them to friends for a while and they're a big hit. They're neat.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/6826610..._facet=handmade

By the way, if any of this is some sort of copyright infringement, do I need to say "credit to X author" for each of the books I use? I figured I made it clear that I'm cutting pages out of books, not creating the images or text.

Just checking. :ohdear:

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Sounds great; we'll (i.e. the husband) will work on changing that right now. Thanks for the great advice! :)

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
My wife creates personalized stationery, calling cards and greeting cards.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/brittanylaurendesign

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I make little paintings from my watercolor sketches, and I do regular sized paintings as well. I also do commissioned portraits of people or animals, there's a few samples listed to have a look at...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagpiesMissStarlight

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I've finally got my shop up! I'm selling dollhouse miniature foods and mini food jewelry. How does everything look?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/petitePastries

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I've finally got my shop up! I'm selling dollhouse miniature foods and mini food jewelry. How does everything look?

Everything looks great, your attention to detail is stunning!

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010
My girlfriend likes to sew and thought she'd post up some of her bags on Etsy. She's planning on doing a more professional Etsy store soon but wanted to list some things to see if they'd sell. What do you guys think? Any feedback would be great.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/masseya

owsley
Feb 23, 2011
My mom and aunt have a shop on Etsy selling embroidered pillow covers. They create their own designs, but you can also order custom designs. If you like one of their designs, you can also customize the colors.

check them out: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SistudioDesign

They make quality pillows, but you would also be helping out my mom in particular, because the small company she worked for went out of business just last week. Not trying to use this as a selling point...I think that the pillow covers speak for themselves. If you do decide to buy though, please don't mention her employment situation, I think it might embarrass her. If anything just tell them that Alex turned you on to the shop :)

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Just wonderful! Do you think French macaroons would be quite difficult? I've seen a couple on different dolls food etsy shops, but they never look very good.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

HardCorey posted:

My girlfriend likes to sew and thought she'd post up some of her bags on Etsy. She's planning on doing a more professional Etsy store soon but wanted to list some things to see if they'd sell. What do you guys think? Any feedback would be great.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/masseya

One of my top pieces of advice for people new to etsy is take time to get good photographs. Your girlfriend's bags are adorable :3: but the shadows and blurriness of the photos really take away from their marketability. Their stationing/positioning is good but improving the quality of the photos and lighting would be a big help.

Drunk Bettie
Oct 28, 2007

squeeze my head for
delicious juice

owsley posted:

My mom and aunt have a shop on Etsy selling embroidered pillow covers. They create their own designs, but you can also order custom designs. If you like one of their designs, you can also customize the colors.

They make quality pillows, but you would also be helping out my mom in particular, because the small company she worked for went out of business just last week. Not trying to use this as a selling point...I think that the pillow covers speak for themselves. If you do decide to buy though, please don't mention her employment situation, I think it might embarrass her. If anything just tell them that Alex turned you on to the shop :)

Wow! Those are gorgeous! I love the Lily design especially; I may have to custom up a pair of brown covers with green lilies on 'em for my living room.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Thank you both! :3: I could certainly give macarons a try, Namenlos, they'd be fun since they leave a lot of room to play with colors. I might attempt those over spring break, I'm looking forward to having time to make some more stuff.

owsley posted:

Wow, these are beautiful! I love the sunflower design.

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

One of my top pieces of advice for people new to etsy is take time to get good photographs. Your girlfriend's bags are adorable :3: but the shadows and blurriness of the photos really take away from their marketability. Their stationing/positioning is good but improving the quality of the photos and lighting would be a big help.

Thanks for the advice! Taking pictures is probably the hardest part of this process for her haha. We'll have to keep experimenting to get the right lighting, etc.

SkitterSkatter
Oct 20, 2006

Look, Its been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Im an 'artist' on etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/KimberTastic?ref=si_shop I starting painting in pixels because many of my painter friends said it was too hard and too time consuming. They were right about the time, but hey, I found out its fun! I had been doing video game characters but recently starting doing my own original artwork. Im also a co founder of a geek blog, Momsbasement. Check it out at http://momsbasement.org/ we are doing a contest this month and are starting a giveaway today for one of my custom door knob hangers.

E: holy crap image size

SkitterSkatter fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 11, 2011

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009
Hey altazakin, I got my order today from you (forgot to write about being a goon) and in it was a sample of berry fizz soap. I NEED to know when this will be on your etsy so I can buy all of it. It smelled so good it overshadowed the order and my boyfriend (who refuses to smell/dislikes most of my bath stuff) voluntarily picked it up and took a whiff.

Its also gorgeous, which I've only ever encountered in one other seller's samples. Doesn't normally matter but I spent a good amount of time admiring it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Question about treasuries.. I just started a couple, and every now and then an item will disappear. Is it because the seller deleted it, sold it, or is Etsy just being a bitch? I'm guessing the items were deleted, but I'm not sure why, since they were all awesome.

Either way, I've been meaning to post this here.. It's a sampling of goony arts and crafts that I've compiled for your viewing pleasure. I would buy all of these things if I could. :3:

I'm thinking of making another list for art and craft supplies.. Convo me on Etsy if you want to get in on it and I haven't already included you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Thanks for putting me in your treasury! But that reminds me:

Please check out my friend Merry's store! She's a lurker goon that just got screwed over by her job and needs money to survive the week. :ohdear: