Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

crm posted:

Any suggestions on what string I should use on my Ibanez Artcore AS73?

Jazz players who use that guitar would put a medium to heavy set of flatwound strings on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm about to put my Jackson SLSMG in Standard D. What are the best string guages to use? I normally play a standard set of 9s and the general consensus for D standard online seems to be 11-52s. Sound about right?

I've not intonated it properly yet (can't see it making a huge difference though), but I put 11s on my Pacifica when I tuned it to D standard and they feel a bit floppy to me - pretty sure they were 11-49 though. The lower strings are the worst, a tiny squeeze on the bottom string and you get a serious pitch bend, but the heavier strings in the 11-52 set might fix that.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
The 6th string on my guitar buzzes really badly (unplayable) at the neck of my guitar. It's fine to play with a capo (or fretting somewhere on the string). This seems like a pretty minor repair to me, but can anyone suggest how I might do it myself instead of bringing it somewhere to have it looked at?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Newf posted:

The 6th string on my guitar buzzes really badly (unplayable) at the neck of my guitar. It's fine to play with a capo (or fretting somewhere on the string). This seems like a pretty minor repair to me, but can anyone suggest how I might do it myself instead of bringing it somewhere to have it looked at?

Sounds like the nut slot is cut too deep for that string. You could pop off the nut, stick a shim underneath it (paper works fine) and glue it back on.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
What the hell is wrong with my output?

Oh.

Do I just solder this back together and put the screws back in, or what?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

uncle jimbo posted:

What the hell is wrong with my output?

Oh.

Do I just solder this back together and put the screws back in, or what?

pretty much

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hate those nights when I can't get poo poo to come out of it and end up just doing chord changes over and over.

I love those nights when I can just sit on the floor and get into a groove for two hours just noodling up and down scales with bends, vibratos and slides and it actually sounds good to me for a change. That was tonight, my fingers are on fire and I basically got stoned without smoking anything.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Are there any other guitar forums out there worth frequenting besides sevenstring, metalguitarist, and talkbass? Preferably something not metal. I haven't found anything that comes even close in terms of activity and expertise.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Harmony Central, The Gear Page, and Ultimate Guitar is all I got. Every brand also seems to have quite a few dedicated sites as well. Most of it is "NEW GUITAR DAY", but they seem to be clamping down on that a bit lately.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
The only other guitar forum I've really visited is Offset Guitars, but I don't know if I would recommend it. The build threads are usually interesting, but I really don't like the userbase on that site. Maybe its just my own personal hangup, but when I see forum users calling each other by their real life first names I tend to think its creepy and weird.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I really like TDPRI. The user base tends to be mature and professional, and yet not snobbish. Liking Telecasters is sort of a prerequisite, though.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 5, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

pretty much

Yay, it worked.

New question - I come from a classical background, so the neck on this Jackson I inherited feels really small. For the next time I get a new guitar, are there any brands or models out there known for having a particularly wide nut width?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
What can I do about buzz on a low E? I can't raise my bridge any higher. I've taken it to three different places who all basically put a new set of strings on it and said "oh well it's not that big of a problem" and charged me 30 bucks. Asked them to do any truss rod adjustments, check the neck, etc. All claim no problems. The problem is slightly less of an issue when I use thicker gauged strings but I'd like to stay around a .11 at the largest.

It's not a very very nasty buzz, more like a "ping" or something. Problem is that occasionally it comes through the amp when playing clean or running directly to the board and that's an annoyance.

quote:

New question - I come from a classical background, so the neck on this Jackson I inherited feels really small. For the next time I get a new guitar, are there any brands or models out there known for having a particularly wide nut width?

My favorite neck profile is thin at the nut but thick otherwise. I call it Petite since I don't know much about what to call what type of neck. May want to check into something with a Fender spec on it. You can change out the neck for a fatter 50's style Tele neck. A buddy of mine did this and it's a pretty huge neck, fat and wide.

I pretty much am never 100% comfortable with Gibson's/Ibanez/Hagstrom because they have wide and thin necks, so you can check them out too.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 6, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been digging into blues a lot lately, and I'm finding playing with my thumb over a pick is giving me drastically better tone. I am coaxing out sounds I don't think I could ever do with a pick. Is this going to get me stuck later on when I move into metal and such? I am basically a total beginner still as far as I am concerned.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can anyone tell me how to play these chords properly in Harry Chaplin's "Cats in the Cradle"?

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/h/harry_chapin/cats_in_the_cradle_ver3_crd.htm

D/C#, D/B, D/A, D/G, D/F#

I just cant seem to make it sound right

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Philthy posted:

I've been digging into blues a lot lately, and I'm finding playing with my thumb over a pick is giving me drastically better tone. I am coaxing out sounds I don't think I could ever do with a pick. Is this going to get me stuck later on when I move into metal and such? I am basically a total beginner still as far as I am concerned.

Fingerstyle's going to give you a different sound for sure, and there's definitely nothing wrong with playing that way - a few rock guitarists do it too (Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits is the first one that comes to mind). For something like the blues expressive is very good.

That said if you're relying on that exclusively you will have trouble with metal, where speed and precision are usually really important. A pick gives you a very clean, focused sound with a strong attack, and you can play very quickly too. Fast rhythm playing with chugging power chords probably won't come out too well without a pick either. I mean I'm sure there are a couple of metal players out there who play fingerstyle (there's always someone) but if that's your goal you should keep your hand in with both techniques. But use what works!

Thoren posted:

Can anyone tell me how to play these chords properly in Harry Chaplin's "Cats in the Cradle"?

Those are slash chords, all they are are D chords with a different note in the bass. So say you're playing open D, xx0232, the lowest note there is a D. For D/C# you just need to change that low D to a C#, like x4x232 (if you left that open string there it would clash something horrible). D/B would be x2x232 and so on - if you notice that bass note is walking down to the E chord at the end. If you're having trouble actually playing the chords let me know, sometimes with this kind of thing you can keep the chord fretted somehow and just move spare fingers around, other times you have to change your fingering as you go.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 7, 2011

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I almost finished the telecaster build I posted about a few pages back. I'm just waiting for the tuners to arrive so I can set it up and play it. Here are a few pictures of it:

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I'm about to throw this stupid floyd rose tremolo in the trash. I spent a few hours the other night dialing in the correct spring tension and intonation, then i snapped a string. I replaced them all one by one, tuned it 8,000 times, and stretched out the strings so they stay there. The problem is that whenever the tremolo gets bumped, it doesn't come all the way back to where it was. So if everything is exactly in tune and my wrist hits the tremolo bending everything up, it will settle back down to ~20 cents sharp. If I pull up on the bridge and bring all the strings down, it will settle about 20 cents flat. Is there a part I can lube or replace to fix this, or should I sell it and move on?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

superdylan posted:

I'm about to throw this stupid floyd rose tremolo in the trash. I spent a few hours the other night dialing in the correct spring tension and intonation, then i snapped a string. I replaced them all one by one, tuned it 8,000 times, and stretched out the strings so they stay there. The problem is that whenever the tremolo gets bumped, it doesn't come all the way back to where it was. So if everything is exactly in tune and my wrist hits the tremolo bending everything up, it will settle back down to ~20 cents sharp. If I pull up on the bridge and bring all the strings down, it will settle about 20 cents flat. Is there a part I can lube or replace to fix this, or should I sell it and move on?

I think the bodies are routed just for those super trems. Take it to the shop if you're not sure, and ask what your bridge replacement options are. You'll get fine tremolo action and consistent tuning with a regular tremolo bridge and locking tuners.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can look into getting a tremsetter
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

There is another product that does something similar but I can't remember it right now.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Koth posted:

I almost finished the telecaster build I posted about a few pages back. I'm just waiting for the tuners to arrive so I can set it up and play it. Here are a few pictures of it:

Gorgeous. When I first saw the die on the lever switch, I thought it was really tacky. Then I realized it was perfect.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Thumposaurus posted:

You can look into getting a tremsetter
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

There is another product that does something similar but I can't remember it right now.

This is really weird, and it seems over complicated. Instead of removing the plate that the two claw screws go into entirely, why not just fab the same plate with a hole in the middle, then mount the tremsetter onto that plate with a bolt-on system? Might need custom replacement claw screws that hold the plate from both sides.. But theres gotta be an easier way.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 8, 2011

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Manky posted:

Gorgeous. When I first saw the die on the lever switch, I thought it was really tacky. Then I realized it was perfect.

Heh, yeah I thought the same thing when I put it on.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Koth posted:

I used to want a telecaster but I don't think I can have one now, I know I will never own something as beautiful as this.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

superdylan posted:

I've heard good things about the Tremel-No. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it might be an easier solution than replacing the bridge.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koth posted:

As someone who loathes teles, that's loving awesome.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

crm posted:

Any suggestions on what string I should use on my Ibanez Artcore AS73?

Regular set of 10s with a wound G.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I know gently caress all about electronics or amps - most of my experience is with a classical guitar. What can I do about a 'noisy' rig? The tubes are like 3 months old, so I don't think that's it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Are you using a guitar with single coil pickups and playing with lots of gain? That will cause noise. Humbuckers would be quieter, and/or you could buy a noise gate.

Sometimes you'll get a little bit of hum or hiss no matter what you do though. Could be cheap cables, poorly grounded electrical sockets, other electronics in the room, etc.

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006
I bought a Yamaha Pacifica on ebay. The guitar only works puts out sound when the volume knob is turned all the way up to 10 (the seller neglected to mention this issue, btw). Is this an easy fix?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

uncle jimbo posted:

I know gently caress all about electronics or amps - most of my experience is with a classical guitar. What can I do about a 'noisy' rig? The tubes are like 3 months old, so I don't think that's it.

Is there a computer or something nearby? Are you using a compressor or distortion pedals of any sort? What amp are you using? What guitar are you using?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

rt4 posted:

Is there a computer or something nearby? Are you using a compressor or distortion pedals of any sort? What amp are you using? What guitar are you using?

Just a tv and xbox maybe 15 feet away; stock Jackson DK2 through a Peavey Vypyr 60.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 10, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hypersober posted:

I bought a Yamaha Pacifica on ebay. The guitar only works puts out sound when the volume knob is turned all the way up to 10 (the seller neglected to mention this issue, btw). Is this an easy fix?

Been a while since I did any electronics but it's probably just that the potentiometer needs replacing - should be easy if you have basic soldering skills.
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/electric-guitar/electronics.php
Cleaning it might help too, although in my experience dirty pots tend to at least crackle and produce some signal as you turn them. This might not be the issue but it shouldn't be a problem if it is

uncle jimbo posted:

Just a tv and xbox maybe 15 feet away; stock Jackson DK2 through a Peavey Vypyr 60.

Is your phone in your pocket near the guitar? And are we talking hiss or hum or what

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a loose volume pot. What's the safest way to pry off the knob without damaging my knob or body?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Have a look at that link I just posted, it shows how you can pop them off with a rag or a couple of picks

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

rt4 posted:

I have a loose volume pot. What's the safest way to pry off the knob without damaging my knob or body?

Like this:

Please ignore the lovely carpet scrap I used to do my redneck lutherie on.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ha! Thanks for the effortpics :)

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN
My humbucking pickup is hosed up. It still works, but I don't get enough volume from it. I took it apart a while ago to check something and I couldn't get it to sit right after that. It has been bothering me ever since. I don't want to take it apart for fear of me loving it up more.

Question: Are you suppose to be able to push down on your pickups and have them move? Mine one is kind of wobbly, and doesn't sit up as high/close to the strings. I want to fix this but I am kind of scared to do it, and I'm not sure how I could raise it up.

Sorry for the bad quality, its phone camera =/

On the pickup closest to the neck it sort of dips in on one side, and I think it has been affecting my sound. The second picture shows both pickups, and the back pickup near the bridge is seated correctly, its even and flush with the pickup pot.

Any advice?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

pixfix posted:

My humbucking pickup is hosed up.
Super easy to fix.

Remove strings, remove the 4 screws at the corners of the pickup ring but not the two on the sides yet, and pull the whole pickup assembly out (leaving the wiring intact... should be enough slack to pull the assembly out).

The two screws left in the assembly should enter through the ring, run through a spring and be screwed into the pickup's "ears". For your guitar, something will be wrong with that last sentence. Missing screws? Replace them. Missing springs? Replace them. Screw not in pickup ear? Screw it into ear while the assembly is out of the guitar to make it catches (don't worry about pup height for now, just screw in a couple revolutions).

Put the assembly back, screw in the 4 corner screws and check pup clearance against where you think the springs would be (i.e.: pup should be well below the fret board). Restring. Play and adjust pickup upwards (tighten two side screws) until you get it where it needs to be.

If the assembly is correct and you still have issues, take a better pic while the assembly is out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What are the best current options for 8-string guitars under $800 right now?