Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arglebargle III posted:

Is it bad that I'm rooting for the Death Commandos here?

Yes. Yes it is. A root for the Death Commandos is a root for terrorism, communism, fascism, totalitarianism, schism and ismism. It's anti-Marik, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

:911: :Marik: :patriot:

Never Forget. Never Forgive.

Would you like to know more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Arglebargle III posted:

Sup, insane inbred space-Chinese brotha? :hitler::respek::commissar:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Slaan posted:

i think the death commandos got their work cut out for them they need tons of support! :v:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arglebargle III posted:

Nothing wrong with rooting for the winners. :colbert: Whether or not they can win depends entirely upon what their piloting skills are like. That blackjack is already dead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah what's up with that Blackjack hanging out like a kilometer south of its lance?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah what's up with that Blackjack hanging out like a kilometer south of its lance?

Well, PoptartsNinja hates standard-configuration Blackjacks. Maybe he wants to demonstrate how worthless it is?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You'll notice they're all traveling in the same direction? It's running a perimeter sweep to delay and distract any Marik forces that might turn up. The tank is doing likewise.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Or it's bait.

Or else its some crazy mother who just really likes his Blackjack. I'm fairly certain someone said a while back people who still use the stupid Mechs when they get really good are almost always /really/ good.

Also, good luck you crazy texican bastards.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Slaan posted:

We Tikonovians are space-fuckin'-Russians. And don't you southerners forget it.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

ProfessorCurly posted:

Or else its some crazy mother who just really likes his Blackjack. I'm fairly certain someone said a while back people who still use the stupid Mechs when they get really good are almost always /really/ good.

The Blackjack isn't really that bad - you have enough ammo to take even low percentage shots, and the ML battery is actually solid firepower for it's weight in 3025.

EDIT: Doubleposted because I'm a retard. :hurr:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arglebargle III posted:

As long as we're fighting against guys marching under the banner of a rat's anus I think the Death Commandos even count as the Good Guys.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 7, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Death Commando's own. House Liao owns.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Under the rules of Battletech can Death Commandos be like hiding inside houses or in the woods between our intrepid heroes and their target?

How do mines work?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Arglebargle III posted:

I know you didn't mean it literally but it might be interesting nonetheless: A hex is about 30 meters in diameter if I recall. And a Mech is always assumed to be dodging and weaving within those 30 meters, which is why it can't occupy the same hex as another mech.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Why is Mashonnen still listed as driving the gently caress You?

I am, I swear.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Mukaikubo posted:

...air support.

...air support?

...AIR SUPPORT! D:

Okay, yeah, poo poo just got real-er. But hey! No dead hostages yet! That's a positive!

On the bright side the Rifleman was conceived of as an anti-aircraft Mech, so we may get to see if it's really made for the job. At least aerospace fighters have to make Pilot checks in atmosphere on any hit, so pretty much anything hitting them will eventually lawn dart the suckers. Though if any of you stand in a row with your backs in one direction you deserve what will happen next. Real issue might be that bombs and/or artillery can do serious damage to infantry as AOE weapons if memory serves, and they aim for hexes not units so there's no joy trying to run up the target mods. Oh, and with artillery you can pretarget hexes. Just pray the Capellans didn't rediscover Arrow IV munitions yet; originally they discovered 'em in the 3040s, might be earlier in this universe. Guess you'll know if the Death Commandos hit you with TAG... :D

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Joe [Red_Mage], you're better at bullshit. Challenge their leader to a duel, see if he's dumb enough to answer. I wanna know who to alpha strike."

Music for the round: Nightmare

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

MadDogMike posted:

On the bright side the Rifleman was conceived of as an anti-aircraft Mech, so we may get to see if it's really made for the job.

I think that's more of a fluff thing - what with it having good AA weapons in arms which look very easy to rotate upwards. It also looks like it has a cockpit with a lot of upwards viewing room and that radar-looking thing on top. Tabletop wise I can't think of a reason it'd be a better AA mech than any other with similar weaponry.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Go Death Commandos kill some space mexicans dead

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why is Mashonnen still listed as driving the gently caress You?

I am, I swear.

Fixed, sorry

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

DatonKallandor posted:

I think that's more of a fluff thing - what with it having good AA weapons in arms which look very easy to rotate upwards. It also looks like it has a cockpit with a lot of upwards viewing room and that radar-looking thing on top. Tabletop wise I can't think of a reason it'd be a better AA mech than any other with similar weaponry.

The rifleman can get -2 to hit airborne targets if you use the mech quick rules from the rpg.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Longinus00 posted:

The rifleman can get -2 to hit airborne targets if you use the mech quick rules from the rpg.

Good point. So, Poptarts: is the rifleman actually any good as an AA 'mech, or is it just what it is, and no more, no less?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Edit: Whoops.

Go Death Commandos!

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 7, 2011

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
You guys should probably not worry that much about the chances of hitting planes, when in reality the DCs just ordered an artillery strike on the hostages.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Joe [Red_Mage], you're better at bullshit. Challenge their leader to a duel, see if he's dumb enough to answer. I wanna know who to alpha strike."
These are the Death Commandos, they're currently executing women and children, honourable combat is not their MO.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, these are the Capellans, not the Draconis.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fixed, sorry

What about the sapper?

Also, I think I know what my moves are right now, but give me ten minutes to consider

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

hankor posted:

You guys should probably not worry that much about the chances of hitting planes, when in reality the DCs just ordered an artillery strike on the hostages.

Somehow I doubt they'd call in an artillery strike on the hostages when they could just as easily have their infantry gun them all down at once.

I have an idea where that artillery strike might be going, but I'm gonna keep it to myself for now in case it turns out I'm right. Which I'm probably not. Probably. :ohdear:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

They are probably hot-dropping a few lances right on top of the now barely defended base the Caballeros just rolled out of.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
They're probably just reporting enemy contact. I mean, if the Capellans had artillery set up and ready to shell the site, they wouldn't need an elite commando team trained in fighting alone for this fight.

Also, to those people worrying about using La Dama Muerta's abilities too much, remember that she isn't begging for her life or the lives of anyone else. Rather, she is using her dazzling interpersonal skills in order to distract the executioners. I mean, the abilities are call Distracting Tirade and Scream and Berate. With names like that, I heartily doubt she's playing to the DC's softer sides. Hell, that second one stands a good chance of her being shot. I really can't see her personality changing because she was begging too much. If anything, she's just getting some practice.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xmas Future posted:

These are the Death Commandos, they're currently executing women and children, honourable combat is not their MO.

Yeah the Dracs will play fair and do duels and all the honor stuff, the Caps will just agree to it then shoot you in the dick at their first opportunity; there's no honor or fair play going on here, just kill them before they kill you(r civilians). :black101:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xmas Future posted:

Every company is infected with hot shots. And what's the point of open com channels if not to play mind games with the enemy?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Every company is infected with hot shots. And what's the point of open com channels if not to play mind games with the enemy?

The Northwind Highlanders have lostech laser-comms (extremely expensive). They FLOOD every normal-radio comm channel with bagpipe music to inspire their own troops and gently caress over everyone else's communications. It's pretty neat, actually.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Northwind Highlanders have lostech laser-comms (extremely expensive). They FLOOD every normal-radio comm channel with bagpipe music to inspire their own troops and gently caress over everyone else's communications. It's pretty neat, actually.

I actually made reference to that earlier in the thread. I didn't know we were supposed to be spoilering it out. Whoops. Still, that was by far my favorite part of the fluff about the Northwind Highlanders. Functional and irritatingly dickish.

On an unrelated note, Chrome's spellchecker suggests "Spenglerian" as an alternative to "spoilering".

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

You'll notice they're all traveling in the same direction? It's running a perimeter sweep to delay and distract any Marik forces that might turn up. The tank is doing likewise.

...Huh. Huh.

Possible idea: Could we conceivably keep out of LOS for another turn or two? If they're coming south in a patrol route, we could get their forces rather well split up. Looks like we'd have D2-4 and V2 coming down on that patrol. We could rip them apart with an ambush if they don't see us and raise an alarm. Get a leg up on 'em.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Would someone please explain to me how laser comms are supposed to be lostech?

For crying out loud, these guys use the primary mechanism in it all the goddamn time!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Maybe they cannot make detectors sensitive enough for use on mechs in the field?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A lot of stuff is lostech because the great houses are more focused on stabbing faces and backs than developing new technology, so research tends to be more along the lines of "We have come up with the newest improvement in LRM technology. Rather than the old launchers which could fire a paltry 15 rounds per volley, this one fires 20!" rather than innovation.

[EDIT] And communications technologies in particular tend to end up with your research team having their lab mysteriously explode courtesy of ComStar.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 7, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
All of the above, plus: If you have a system to hold a laser on target perfectly and make minute adjustments to keep it pointed perfectly at a jumping Wasp that's over ten kilometers away, why the gently caress aren't you using the same system on a larger scale to headshot everyone with a large laser?

It's not the lasers themselves that're lostech. It's the systems that let them do their thing that are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008

Music for the round: Nightmare

I'm very sorry but this is the music that is playing for the round.

Badass

• Locked thread