Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

SilverSliver posted:

I just learned how to cast on with my thumb! :rock:

This was the only way I knew how to cast on until recently :D I assumed it was the only way!!

Now I prefer long tail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Helanna posted:

This was the only way I knew how to cast on until recently :D I assumed it was the only way!!

Now I prefer long tail

I generally prefer longtail, but I've done the thumb thing for specific patterns that require it. The scallop-edge beaded necklace in 101 Designer One Skein Wonders requires you to do the thumb cast-on with your lefthand (Backwards Loop Cast-on). It's an easy cast-on, but makes knitting the first row a suckfest, because it binds down on itself as you knit, and it's no kind of help that on that pattern you're wrangling beads too.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Thanks! I've been obsessed with the pattern for over a year now so I tore right through it (cast on January 3rd).

So each slipped stitch is two rows, and I one three for every four rows, that means basically pick up one in one slipped stitch and then two in the next? If I do that I get 137 stitches on each front band. The pattern calls for 108 and my fronts are the right size as far as I can tell (the little diagram doesn't actually have a measurement for the whole front edge - it has two separate ones, one for the bottom part and one for the yoke, so I added them up). But the pattern has a garter band so maybe that accounts for the discrepancy? I know garter compresses vertically but does it compress horizontally too?

I don't even know how to block a cardigan that's all in one piece. Should I just sort of lay it out and pin the fronts down right through the back? This is only the 4th sweater I've ever made, and only the second cardigan so yeah, I pretty much don't know what I'm doing at all when it comes to this stuff. :)

When it's all in one piece, I lay it flat--on the back, front on top. Like how you have it posed in the picture, only smoothed down more.

Garter stitches does have a different pick-up ratio, which may account for it. Buttonbands are funny things; I knit a sweater that called for 130 stitches, and I could only pick up 108. If it isn't rumpling or puckering, then it's fine really. I think of the number as a suggestion because even if you do get that same number, it doesn't always work on everyone's knitting.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

I've been working on a sweater! I had intended to get it done within the month but I've still got the whole button band left and that's clearly not going to get done all in one day, even if it is my day off...

The pattern is "03 Heart Yoke Cardigan" from the Holiday 09 Vogue Knitting. It's so weird, in the last dozen issues of Vogue I've only liked about four patterns and three of them are in this one issue.

The pink bits at the edges are a turned hem, they'll be folded inside and sewn down later.

I'm actually considering looking up the legality of marrying a sweater.

Does anyone have advice on picking up stitches for the button band? Should I block it first? I stupidly did a slipped stitch edge along the fronts because I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that for button bands. Plus I'm doing a stockinette band instead of garter so I don't know maybe I need a different number of stitches...argh. It has to be perfect!

OH MY GOD I HATE YOU :mad:

I want to knit a bajillion sweaters like this. Seriously. I love Bohus style sweaters so loving much, but I can't even finish the first sweater I started, let alone a mitten that was due on Christmas.

Aaaaaaaaaa

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

OH MY GOD I HATE YOU :mad:

I want to knit a bajillion sweaters like this. Seriously. I love Bohus style sweaters so loving much, but I can't even finish the first sweater I started, let alone a mitten that was due on Christmas.

Aaaaaaaaaa

I would seriously probably sell my left tit for a Wild Apple Bohus kit. I assume I can't afford one since the website doesn't list the price (that usually means I can't afford it). Of course, having only one tit would make the sweater hang funny, wouldn't it.

I was just thinking about it this morning and realized that the other three sweaters I knit were all cabled projects. I think the colorwork yoke is very flattering to my particular figure ("huge rear end").

Right now I'm knitting a snail though:

I put beads in. :3:

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
very nice! I've got the book thats from on order from knitpicks. I decided to do the "crafty pay it forward 2011" that was going around on facebook, so I've got 5 to do from facebook and 5 to do from another networking site. All of them are going to be from this book besides two projects (maybe). I am also going to do the jackalope for myself (first) :3

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Those Bohus kits are super expensive. I asked to find out the price (I was contemplating whether to do it for super birthday present), and it's kind of crazy expensive--exchange rate on that day said $188.

I opted for a russian spindle.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Those Bohus kits are super expensive. I asked to find out the price (I was contemplating whether to do it for super birthday present), and it's kind of crazy expensive--exchange rate on that day said $188.

FFFFFF. That's a goddamn lot.

I wonder how good a substitute Knitpicks Pallette is? It's fingering weight and sort of fuzzy. And it's $2 a ball.

The Wild Apple pattern is available in Knitting Traditions magazine (which is $15, which...goddamn). Someday maybe.

I showed the pattern to a friend once and she flatly said "I don't like the colors". Well, I wasn't offering to make it for YOU! You're obviously blind.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I could see buying one for a really special treat--the yarn is 50% wool and 50% cashmere, and it knits finer than the KnitPicks (around 9 st/inch). Plus, the woman who does the kits basically recreated all the yarns used in them since they were otherwise no longer manufactured.

But definitely only for a special occasion.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Right now I'm knitting a snail though:

I put beads in. :3:

Oh god, want.

The thrift store gods have been good to me lately. Found a pepto-pink US15 single needle, tiny crochet hook (8?) for 25c each, and a whole box of tapestry wool for $1. I'm not sure what to do with it yet, but I was thinking of maybe doing an awful Dr. Who-style scarf..

The dollar store down the street also has aluminum crochet hooks in a million sizes and colors. Maybe I'll pick up crochet just as an excuse to buy some..

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mizufusion posted:

Oh god, want.

The thrift store gods have been good to me lately. Found a pepto-pink US15 single needle, tiny crochet hook (8?) for 25c each, and a whole box of tapestry wool for $1. I'm not sure what to do with it yet, but I was thinking of maybe doing an awful Dr. Who-style scarf..

The dollar store down the street also has aluminum crochet hooks in a million sizes and colors. Maybe I'll pick up crochet just as an excuse to buy some..

When I was in college I found a poo poo ton of tapestry wool as well, and ended up making a felted bulletin board out of all of it using a log cabin blanket pattern.

Shame my roommate turned out to be allergic to wool. :ohdear:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Over the weekend I'm going to post a thread full of cheap (very nice) fiber and wool that I'm trying to destash!

I am moving and have far too much stuff :(

So look out for that! I will post a link when I've set it up.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Back panel of The Dude done...Four weeks, two days to finish the rest.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's looking good. Knit like the wind!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Lookin' good!

I misread it as taking four weeks total to do the back and having only two days left to finish the rest and I had a little panic attack on your behalf. Whoops.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

They have that book called Poems of Color or something that's all Bohus patterns. One day I'll get it...One day when I have free time...

I am currently stuck in the "Second Mitten Syndrome". I made one mitten for my boyfriend and I can't be bothered to do the other now. It's his Christmas gift, I need to get on it.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
How do you pick up 60 stitches when the cast on was only 53? Is this impossible or am I just confused since I've never done it before? Same with the 100 row sides, would I would just skip over a few here and there to get to 60? Any advice appreciated as usual! Working on the border for this blanket and that's the instructions : http://www.purlbee.com/bulky-baby-blankets/

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

zamiel posted:

How do you pick up 60 stitches when the cast on was only 53? Is this impossible or am I just confused since I've never done it before? Same with the 100 row sides, would I would just skip over a few here and there to get to 60? Any advice appreciated as usual! Working on the border for this blanket and that's the instructions : http://www.purlbee.com/bulky-baby-blankets/

Yeah, basically take the number you want to pick up, subtract the number you HAVE, and that's how many extra to pick up, and then you can divide that into the total number again to see how often to pick up an extra one. I usually do it kinda like a KFB, pick up one from the front and then one from the back through the same hole.

That said, if you pick up 60 stitches from a row with 100 you're gonna have some issues - instead of slavishly following the pattern in this case, I would pick up stitches determined by how many rows you have. Did you do garter stitch for the inside square?

That blanket looks amazingly cushy and I love the border. :)

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Yeah, basically take the number you want to pick up, subtract the number you HAVE, and that's how many extra to pick up, and then you can divide that into the total number again to see how often to pick up an extra one. I usually do it kinda like a KFB, pick up one from the front and then one from the back through the same hole.

That said, if you pick up 60 stitches from a row with 100 you're gonna have some issues - instead of slavishly following the pattern in this case, I would pick up stitches determined by how many rows you have. Did you do garter stitch for the inside square?

That blanket looks amazingly cushy and I love the border. :)

yay for math...yes the middle is the all garter version, so I was thinking picking up the end bumps for 50/60, but then I was like WHAT ABOUT THE HOLES! And thought what you were suggesting would be better but first timer anxiety :) So sounds like just pick up 53 on the CO and BO ends, and every other row garter bump on the sides for 50? Its a really interesting border just fiddly confusing to my poor fibro fogged brain!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

zamiel posted:

yay for math...yes the middle is the all garter version, so I was thinking picking up the end bumps for 50/60, but then I was like WHAT ABOUT THE HOLES! And thought what you were suggesting would be better but first timer anxiety :) So sounds like just pick up 53 on the CO and BO ends, and every other row garter bump on the sides for 50? Its a really interesting border just fiddly confusing to my poor fibro fogged brain!

Ok so the cast on and bind off rows are 53 stitches but you want to pick up 60. That actually sounds doable to me because garter stitch compresses a bit so you would want a bit more since your border is in stockinette. I would do something like one in every stitch for 10 stitches and two in the next one. That should get you very close, maybe at the end you skip one of the two in ones.

On the SIDES I would just pick up one stitch for each garter ridge and whatever number I get is what I get. Is the center square visibly square or is it obviously a rectangle? That pattern is kinda written funny in that they say to just "knit until you run out of yarn" and then act like it's automatically going to be a perfect square with the same number of stitches picked up on every side.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Ok so the cast on and bind off rows are 53 stitches but you want to pick up 60. That actually sounds doable to me because garter stitch compresses a bit so you would want a bit more since your border is in stockinette. I would do something like one in every stitch for 10 stitches and two in the next one. That should get you very close, maybe at the end you skip one of the two in ones.

On the SIDES I would just pick up one stitch for each garter ridge and whatever number I get is what I get. Is the center square visibly square or is it obviously a rectangle? That pattern is kinda written funny in that they say to just "knit until you run out of yarn" and then act like it's automatically going to be a perfect square with the same number of stitches picked up on every side.

I just knit until it was square since that's what I wanted, and seemed like it was expected, but the pick ups didnt seem like I could get an even number like it was calling for with how it ended up. Glad it's not just me that got a bit confused then. Time to throw caution to the wind :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: Hi knitting thread.

I made a very teeny tiny drawstring coin purse.

Click here for the full 271x600 image.

It's my first actual finished project. I can knit squares! And.. really long squares. And more squares!

I'm trying to figure out how those neat, mystical circular knitting needles work.

...That uh. That's about where I should be after a few months toying and playing around, right?

Also, what's picking up stitches?

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's my first actual finished project. I can knit squares! And.. really long squares. And more squares!

I'm trying to figure out how those neat, mystical circular knitting needles work.

...That uh. That's about where I should be after a few months toying and playing around, right?

That is awesome for toying around for a few months! (Pretty colours too!)
Picking up stitches is what you do when you want to add to an already finished piece. For example: you have knitted a hat but want to add elongated earflaps to the sides. It means to put the already knitted stitches onto your needle so that you can continue to knit in a different direction/add on to the product instead of knitting it seperately and sewing/crocheting it on.
Examples:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/FEATwin04TT.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35Rt9MqMr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c5IzAE_hn8

Unless you mean picking up dropped stitches. This is what you frantically do when you've 'dropped' a stitch to place it back on the needle. (When a stitch falls off the needle and starts unraveling it's way downwards.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Awesome job there! :D Squares are useful for tons of things, so don't feel bad you haven't gotten to round things yet.

I generally only use DPNs for the tiny projects, like say socks, or finishing larger things like a hat. Some people are crazy enough to use DPNs the whole time instead of circs first, its your preference :) This ladys videos are all awesome, check out this one on DPNs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1El_m_A-M and this one on circs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUxXOMnpTzk

As for picking up stitches, if you mean what I just learned with that blanket: It's pretty much sticking a needle into the end stitch on a row (usually slipped before) and knitting into it to "pick" it up, and knit from it. It's used on socks, adding those ear flaps to ear flap hats and all sorts of things. I thought it was p scary until I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF34R6KX-cc

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's the cutest little purse. As everyone else has said, that's pretty sweet for a few months of toying around. I hope your enjoying it!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Am I nuts for thinking that something like this would be perfect for blocking?

http://www.amazon.com/Tadpoles-Solid-Playmat-Set-Blue/dp/B003ZYEEIC/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1297028882&sr=1-2

Tell me why I'm wrong before I spend money!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Moms Stuffing posted:

Am I nuts for thinking that something like this would be perfect for blocking?

http://www.amazon.com/Tadpoles-Solid-Playmat-Set-Blue/dp/B003ZYEEIC/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1297028882&sr=1-2

Tell me why I'm wrong before I spend money!

That's basically what I use, but mine's bigger. I got it at Walmart, in the area that sells freeweights and yoga balls. It was packaged for using as flooring under your equipment in your home gym. I'm pretty sure it's 24 sq feet and I paid $19.00 for it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, that stuff is basically the perfect blocking material. Saves me having a damp bed!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Sweet! I just spent money thanks to you guys.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I impulse-bought some yarn this weekend (in my defense, it's a hand-dyed, actually self-striping and not variegated, cashmere blend sock yarn in hot pink, black, and white) and found a pattern I'd really like to use for it, Parallel Twist. But it looks like the only way to get the pattern is to order it from the website and have a physical pattern shipped. With paid PDF downloads being so easy and pretty much everywhere it seems kind of silly that the site still does this. I much prefer having a PDF and I don't want to shell out an extra $2 for the pattern.

This pattern looks similar and is free, but I just finished two projects which had single traveling stitches. Plus Parallel Twist has some new techniques I wanted to try out, and I prefer the overall look of it better.

Can anyone recommend an awesome sock pattern to use with self-striping yarn?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I don't know if you have Sock Innovation or can get it from the library for a day, but Rick ( rav link ) might work; it's got a similar ribbing with a diagonal band traveling across. Any scallop based design (seafoam or chevrons) look really good in self-striping yarns too. And the Anastasia socks ( rav link ) also have a diagonal bias to them, though it's a really simple lace.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
After stopping by Michaels on a whim Friday night I've now started two new projects!

I decided to try out cables, so I'm making the Palindrome scarf that people were talking about before. It's way easier than it looks! I decided to try Wool-Ease yarn, rather than the 100% wool I had been using for my fiance's scarf, and I like how much softer it is. It seems like I'm knitting a little looser.

I also finally cast on the hat I was going to make my fiance for Christmas. I bought some circular needles to try out and I'm digging how self contained it is. I can sit on the bus without poking people with my long needles. I initially started the hat, which is 112st, on my long needles and it kept popping off the end, I couldn't deal with it anymore.

Anyways, after 2 days I have 6 inches of scarf and an inch of hat knitted!

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

This is a great thread. I've wanted to learn to knit for a while, so I finally picked up some cheap acrylic and needles (6mm - I figured that fat needles might be easier for a beginner, though if I'm wrong, I'll still have some if I ever want to knit something fat).

Of course, compared to the magnificent projects in this thread, I am terrible. I managed to work out how to cast off (using the loop-round-the-thumb method, which I understand is not the best, but is the only one I could do properly from the instructions I found on the net), but I think I'm pulling the yarn wrongly when I try to knit new rows. I've been ending up with a length of yarn in between the needles when I knit a new stitch, and that means I end up with a big loop when I get to the end.

I think what I'm doing there is letting too much come in from the ball end, on account of not holding the yarn correctly. Of course, if I try to correct it, I pull it too tightly and then it won't be pushed down the needle. Practice, I suppose, makes perfect. I think I may see if there are any knitting groups in my town to join. It might be easier if I have a real person prodding at me.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Jollity Farm posted:

This is a great thread. I've wanted to learn to knit for a while, so I finally picked up some cheap acrylic and needles (6mm - I figured that fat needles might be easier for a beginner, though if I'm wrong, I'll still have some if I ever want to knit something fat).

Of course, compared to the magnificent projects in this thread, I am terrible. I managed to work out how to cast off (using the loop-round-the-thumb method, which I understand is not the best, but is the only one I could do properly from the instructions I found on the net), but I think I'm pulling the yarn wrongly when I try to knit new rows. I've been ending up with a length of yarn in between the needles when I knit a new stitch, and that means I end up with a big loop when I get to the end.

I think what I'm doing there is letting too much come in from the ball end, on account of not holding the yarn correctly. Of course, if I try to correct it, I pull it too tightly and then it won't be pushed down the needle. Practice, I suppose, makes perfect. I think I may see if there are any knitting groups in my town to join. It might be easier if I have a real person prodding at me.

Welcome to the group!

If you absolutely cannot find someone to show you, knittinghelp.com is pretty great for beginners too--she has videos for various methods of all the basic stitches and then some.

And it is practice--some of it is muscle memory that builds up, and let's your hands get used to it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Drei posted:

But it looks like the only way to get the pattern is to order it from the website and have a physical pattern shipped. With paid PDF downloads being so easy and pretty much everywhere it seems kind of silly that the site still does this. I much prefer having a PDF and I don't want to shell out an extra $2 for the pattern.
Wow, that's really dumb of them -- it's like they're trying to create as much impetus for :filez: as possible. I'm actually always surprised there isn't a bigger scene for knitting patterns. Maybe it's on usenet or something?

JollityFarm, definitely watch videos, if you haven't been already. It's so much easier to learn that way instead of by drawings or descriptions. I think I know what you're talking about -- I would just try a different cast-on until you get the right feel for tension.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Jollity Farm posted:

Yeah, just keep going - much sooner than you think your hands will work out a good tension that makes a nice fabric that isn't all loopy but without being so tight you can't move it around on the needles.

Are the needles you got plastic or metal? If they're plastic that might add to the "grip" they have on the yarn making it a bit tough to move the stitches around. My sister in law tried to teach my niece how to knit and bought this fluffy yarn (impossible to see any stitches) and huge plastic needles that might as well have been coated in glue. The poor kid.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Hi Knitters,
I need your help deciphering something please. I'm planning on making a basket weave blanket, inspired by this:

zamiel posted:

And I went on the Lion Brands website and got a pattern but it's kind of confusing. It says:

Cast on 100 sts. Work 6 rows in Seed st.
Begin Basketweave Pattern
Row 1: (K1, p1) twice, k1, p18, *k18, p18; rep from * to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Row 2: (K1, p1) twice, k1, knit to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Rows 3-24: Rep last 2 rows 11 more times.
Row 25: (K1, p1) twice, k1, k18, *p18, k18; rep from * to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Row 26: (K1, p1) twice, k1, knit to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Rows 27-48: Rep last 2 rows 11 more times.
Rep Rows 1-48 two more times. Work 6 rows in Seed st. Bind off.

Most of it is no problem. I'm just really confused about the instructions for Row 2. Wouldn't it just be the reverse of Row 1? If I knit all the way across Row 2, it would come out Purl on the other side's knit and that wouldn't make for a very even basket weave. Am I just missing something or are the instructions screwed up?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Nibblet posted:

Hi Knitters,
I need your help deciphering something please. I'm planning on making a basket weave blanket, inspired by this:

And I went on the Lion Brands website and got a pattern but it's kind of confusing.
Most of it is no problem. I'm just really confused about the instructions for Row 2. Wouldn't it just be the reverse of Row 1? If I knit all the way across Row 2, it would come out Purl on the other side's knit and that wouldn't make for a very even basket weave. Am I just missing something or are the instructions screwed up?
What's the name of the pattern on Lion's site? I looked at all the baby blanket patterns and couldn't find one that seems to have these instructions. The instructions as you are pasting them certainly don't seem like they would make a basketweave pattern.

Look at their pattern for "Twin Lakes Blankie" (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90657AD.html?noImages=), it should look something like that, with whatever changes you need to make to account for difference in weight & fiber content of your yarn and your desired finished size.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Nibblet posted:

Hi Knitters,

And I went on the Lion Brands website and got a pattern but it's kind of confusing. It says:

Cast on 100 sts. Work 6 rows in Seed st.
Begin Basketweave Pattern
Row 1: (K1, p1) twice, k1, p18, *k18, p18; rep from * to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Row 2: (K1, p1) twice, k1, knit to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Rows 3-24: Rep last 2 rows 11 more times.
Row 25: (K1, p1) twice, k1, k18, *p18, k18; rep from * to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Row 26: (K1, p1) twice, k1, knit to last 5 sts, (k1, p1) twice, k1.
Rows 27-48: Rep last 2 rows 11 more times.
Rep Rows 1-48 two more times. Work 6 rows in Seed st. Bind off.

It won't be reversible is all. If you want it to be like mine was, then you'd do row 1 again, just reverse Ks and Ps when you get to the blocky part. It really looks like a giant version of the one I did if I found the right pattern on Rav :)

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90332AD.html?noImages=0 looks to be what you're working on
http://yellowhousedesigns.blogspot.com/2008/07/simple-basketweave-blanket.html is what I made, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

zamiel posted:

It won't be reversible is all. If you want it to be like mine was, then you'd do row 1 again, just reverse Ks and Ps when you get to the blocky part. It really looks like a giant version of the one I did if I found the right pattern on Rav :)

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90332AD.html?noImages=0 looks to be what you're working on
http://yellowhousedesigns.blogspot.com/2008/07/simple-basketweave-blanket.html is what I made, for reference.

oooh, I see what it is there, the Lion Brand one looks like it's squares of garter stitch and squares of stockingette. I did one really similar to the one you made, it's a basketweave of stockingette and reverse stockingette.