Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think it just has more to do with Tommy Wiseau's complete lack of understanding of basic human interaction. Like how his idea of a bunch of guys hanging out is to stand around a few feet from each other and awkwardly throw footballs at each other.

I love that little smile he gives the camera at the end.

Watching that you'd think Wiseau was blind.

bobkatt013 posted:

Well he does have a drug problem.

Oh yeah,that drug problem that is mentioned once and than never touched upon again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Was Scorcese just trying to convey some biographical information or is there some underlying meaning/message that I didn't get?

Character study on paranoia and OCD is what I got out of it.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
Do you guys feel that we give certain movies more praise and credit than they deserve simply because they came out during "our" generation. For instance, the Star Wars trilogy was groundbreaking and an amazing set of movies that tapped into what people wanted at the time. Indiana Jones was also successful but since that time what has Lucas made that proved to be praise worthy? Same goes for a guy like Kevin Smith who made a good movie that was exactly what his generation wanted, propelling him to the status of average director.

Those are two glaring examples to me. Some call those films "timeless" only because it brings them back to that point in time. It reminds them of the "simple" style of filmmaking and how everything was done by hand. Maybe they remember the day they took their date to see it or what it inspired them to do.

I am a fan of "timeless" directors that adapt to trends and make movies that are widely popular no matter the year. Scorsese, Spielberg (Except Indy 4), Cameron, and even Zemeckis come to mind. They create amazing films on a regular basis because they love to do it and it's what they do best.

I can't think of any other examples but basically what I'm trying to say is I didn't "get" A Clockwork Orange. Help me out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lando2 posted:

Do you guys feel that we give certain movies more praise and credit than they deserve simply because they came out during "our" generation. For instance, the Star Wars trilogy was groundbreaking and an amazing set of movies that tapped into what people wanted at the time. Indiana Jones was also successful but since that time what has Lucas made that proved to be praise worthy? Same goes for a guy like Kevin Smith who made a good movie that was exactly what his generation wanted, propelling him to the status of average director.

Those are two glaring examples to me. Some call those films "timeless" only because it brings them back to that point in time. It reminds them of the "simple" style of filmmaking and how everything was done by hand. Maybe they remember the day they took their date to see it or what it inspired them to do.

No. Liking these films isn't generational or nostalgia-specific. When kids watch the Star Wars original trilogy today, they love the films because there's action and adventure and robots and laser swords and good characters and a fun story. When I first saw Clerks in high school in 2002 I liked it because it spoke to my insecurities and brought up interesting thoughts on the world and on friendship and relationships and had pop culture references that I enjoyed. I wasn't of Kevin Smith's generation, I didn't long for the early 90s, I just liked the movie for being fun and funny and well written.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Well what do you think of Kubrick's other movies? If you don't think you get those either I guess he's just not your type or his directing style just doesn't click with you. It's kinda hard to help you if you're so incredibly specific on the surface yet omit any details about the film you're actually asking about and what it does and doesn't do for you. I wouldn't put A Clockwork Orange with Star Wars or Indiana Jones, or even Terminator.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Lando2 posted:

Indiana Jones was also successful but since that time what has Lucas made that proved to be praise worthy? .

Wait are there people who think Indian Jones was a 'good' movie, rather than a good popcorn movie? Almost every other than the surface action of that film is fairly repellent.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 6, 2011

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

kapalama posted:

Wait are there people who think Indian Jones was a 'good' movie, rather than a good popcorn movie?

What exactly do you mean? Indiana Jones is the cream of the crop within its genre. That makes it a "good movie". I don't know why you have to slap on that derogatory term.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
So, I've fallen in love with the soundtrack to Superfly. Is the movie itself anything special? Is it more than just another blaxploitation flick? Moreover, is the film worthy of the songs Curtis Mayfield wrote for it?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

This is not meant to be a trolling post or anything of the sort, so please do not take it that way.

I watched A Serious Man with my suite mate and I'm honestly wondering why it's gotten such good reviews. The dialogue is good, as well as the acting and cinematography, but it just feels like a series of random events that have little to nothing to do with each other, broken up by random cliche dream sequences (I enjoyed these at first, but by the 5th one, or however many there were, it just got really drat annoying). Then after the random events occur, it actually starts to get semi-coherent and then ends. Is it getting such good reviews because of the clever dialogue? Is there an overlying joke that just flew right over my head? What am I just not getting?

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks

Zwille posted:

Well what do you think of Kubrick's other movies? If you don't think you get those either I guess he's just not your type or his directing style just doesn't click with you. It's kinda hard to help you if you're so incredibly specific on the surface yet omit any details about the film you're actually asking about and what it does and doesn't do for you. I wouldn't put A Clockwork Orange with Star Wars or Indiana Jones, or even Terminator.

I love his other work, The Shining, 2001, I watched Killer's Kiss for the first time last year and it wasn't the greatest but I get what he was doing. Full Metal Jacket is a favorite of one of my friends so we watch it often and I don't remember Eyes Wide Shut other than that long close up of Nicole Kidman when it first came out.

When I finished watching the movie (Clockwork) I thought to myself why would someone write a script like that and who would fund it? I had no idea WHY it was an actual movie that people go to the theaters to pay and see. It felt like an experiment that Kubrick wanted to try out just to see what people thought of it. Not that it failed or succeeded, but it just was there, for people to talk about.

By the way that sentence had nothing to do with my original question, I just put that in there for laffs.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Lando2 posted:

When I finished watching the movie (Clockwork) I thought to myself why would someone write a script like that and who would fund it? I had no idea WHY it was an actual movie that people go to the theaters to pay and see. It felt like an experiment that Kubrick wanted to try out just to see what people thought of it. Not that it failed or succeeded, but it just was there, for people to talk about.

By the way that sentence had nothing to do with my original question, I just put that in there for laffs.

This isn't really saying much at all. Exactly what is off-putting about the existence of the film itself?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I just watched The Aviator, and while I found it to be enjoyable I'm not sure what the point was. I learned a lot about a few decades in Howard Hughes' life, but there wasn't really a strong central plot and it just kind of ended at a very arbitrary point. Was Scorcese just trying to convey some biographical information or is there some underlying meaning/message that I didn't get?

The point is that Hughes was able to do all this incredible stuff in his life and stood up to industries, yet couldn't control his own mind. He was able to stand up to the aviation industry, the government, and even the MPAA, yet couldn't eat dinner if peas were not arranged in the correct way. It's pure tragedy served up in a film.

Zwille posted:

I firmly believe A Clockwork Orange is really a horror movie. It's softened by it being presented almost entirely from Alex's point of view, which is conveniently sympathetic and humorous.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cowman posted:

I watched A Serious Man with my suite mate and I'm honestly wondering why it's gotten such good reviews. The dialogue is good, as well as the acting and cinematography, but it just feels like a series of random events that have little to nothing to do with each other, broken up by random cliche dream sequences (I enjoyed these at first, but by the 5th one, or however many there were, it just got really drat annoying). Then after the random events occur, it actually starts to get semi-coherent and then ends. Is it getting such good reviews because of the clever dialogue? Is there an overlying joke that just flew right over my head? What am I just not getting?

The whole point of the movie is that it's a dark comedy-ish sort-of retelling of the Book of Job, where Larry keeps getting poo poo on left and right, with no end in sight. It's part character study, part dark comedy (like I said before). There's more, but mostly because it's well-made. I will definitely admit that it's not for everyone, but whatever it was, it sort of clicked for me after a while.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Lando2 posted:

I love his other work, The Shining, 2001, I watched Killer's Kiss for the first time last year and it wasn't the greatest but I get what he was doing. Full Metal Jacket is a favorite of one of my friends so we watch it often and I don't remember Eyes Wide Shut other than that long close up of Nicole Kidman when it first came out.

That's strangely similar how I used to feel about Kubrick - liked his other movies, FMJ was a favorite of mine (mostly for the boot camp part) and I didn't quite like Clockwork Orange for some reason, and didn't remember much of Eyes. Then I watched it again after a while and it clicked and I liked it like his other movies. I don't think it's that rare for a movie not to hit the mark on the first viewing. Maybe you should give Clockwork Orange another chance? Since you brought up the commercial viability of his movies, I think Kubrick didn't even make that successful films in the commercial sense, at least from what I remember having read. Cult following sure, but no box office hits.

Since somebody brought up Clockwork Orange as a horror movie, that made me think of The Big Lebowski, which essentially is a film noir - and this brings me to a totally unrelated question: Are there any other movies like The Big Lebowski that follow the rules of a certain genre to a T but other than that are completely different in mood and tone?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Rake Arms posted:

So, I've fallen in love with the soundtrack to Superfly. Is the movie itself anything special? Is it more than just another blaxploitation flick? Moreover, is the film worthy of the songs Curtis Mayfield wrote for it?

No, not really. As with Black Caesar (James Brown) and Trouble Man (Marvin Gaye), the soundtrack outperforms the film in quite a spectacular manner.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Definitely check out more Curtis Mayfield, though! His albums are a bit uneven, but the "People Get Ready" box set collects most his best songs.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Howard Hughes really liked soap.

He sort of invented Netflix On Demand too by buying his own Las Vegas TV station and then calling them up and making them play Ice Station Zebra whenever he felt like watching it again, which was quite often.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Zwille posted:

Since somebody brought up Clockwork Orange as a horror movie, that made me think of The Big Lebowski, which essentially is a film noir - and this brings me to a totally unrelated question: Are there any other movies like The Big Lebowski that follow the rules of a certain genre to a T but other than that are completely different in mood and tone?

Well, there's Fargo, which is basically an anti-noir. It follows the structure of your classic noir but subverts all the tropes. For example, instead of the hard-boiled loner detective, we have the happily married pregnant lady. Instead of a dark palate, the film is very white (being in Fargo and all).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lando2 posted:

Do you guys feel that we give certain movies more praise and credit than they deserve simply because they came out during "our" generation. For instance, the Star Wars trilogy was groundbreaking and an amazing set of movies that tapped into what people wanted at the time. Indiana Jones was also successful but since that time what has Lucas made that proved to be praise worthy?

There are some franchises that receive unjust praise just because of when they came out (see: everything to do with Transformers), but Star Wars and Indy are pretty much just archetypal stories in their basest form. For the former, you have "Kid from the boonies finds out he's the chosen one and saves the land", and for the latter you have "badass survives ancient horrors to get treasure". You could take someone from, say, Ancient Greece, and as long as they understood the basic elements of who's who (eg Persians instead of Nazis) you could pretty much tell the exact same story with no real confusion.

Lucas's problem is mainly that he can't easily refine these ideas, which wasn't a problem when he had competent editors around. The Prequels in their very basest form could have easily been made into an Oedipus-like story, if only someone had kept Lucas in check.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Underflow posted:

No, not really. As with Black Caesar (James Brown) and Trouble Man (Marvin Gaye), the soundtrack outperforms the film in quite a spectacular manner.

Good to know. I'll probably still check it out, but now I know not to expect a particularly emotional or meaningful story like the music suggests. Thanks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was putting out the Oscar winner Blurays at work, and when I came to Crash I remember all the childish sour grapes from the Brokeback Mountain crew over their loss.

I googled, but I was unable to find any other instances of people being really pissy about their loss at the Oscars. I'm sure they exist though, considering that an Oscar is pretty much the most well regarded award anyone can get that isn't a Nobel Prize.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

twistedmentat posted:

I was putting out the Oscar winner Blurays at work, and when I came to Crash I remember all the childish sour grapes from the Brokeback Mountain crew over their loss.

I googled, but I was unable to find any other instances of people being really pissy about their loss at the Oscars. I'm sure they exist though, considering that an Oscar is pretty much the most well regarded award anyone can get that isn't a Nobel Prize.

I would be especially mad if I lost to Crash, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

He sort of invented Netflix On Demand too by buying his own Las Vegas TV station and then calling them up and making them play Ice Station Zebra whenever he felt like watching it again, which was quite often.

Ever since I heard this I've wondered: was it actually his favorite film or was it just some OCD reason he picked it? Is it actually a good movie?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Ever since I heard this I've wondered: was it actually his favorite film or was it just some OCD reason he picked it? Is it actually a good movie?

He had...issues. Reportedly later in life he would watch a print of John Wayne's The Conqueror every night over and over.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Glass Joe posted:

He had...issues. Reportedly later in life he would watch a print of John Wayne's The Conqueror every night over and over.

I thought that was because he financed it, and he was guilt-ridden over all the cancer deaths from it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

penismightier posted:

I thought that was because he financed it, and he was guilt-ridden over all the cancer deaths from it.

He also shipped a bunch of the soil for reshots

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

feedmyleg posted:

I certainly am giving it a try. It's an insane based on real life events story, and it was name-checked in SeaLab 2021, which is pretty much all I need to get me to check it out.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

penismightier posted:

There is that too, but he was still pretty OCD about it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Glass Joe posted:

There is that too, but he was still pretty OCD about it.

Ain't no arguing that fact.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I am starting 'Spartan' right now, and it has a great two minute opening that makes me want to watch it. But I will probably fall asleep because Superbowl overeating made me tired.

Is it a good movie?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

kapalama posted:

I am starting 'Spartan' right now, and it has a great two minute opening that makes me want to watch it. But I will probably fall asleep because Superbowl overeating made me tired.

Is it a good movie?

Well, Kristen Bell flashes her tits towards the end. You don't actually get to see them, though, because the camera is behind her. Does that answer your question at all?

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

twistedmentat posted:

Quentin Tarinto was pretty pissy about Pulp Fiction losing everything to Forrest Gump and he went off about it at the MTV Movie Awards, but I cant find a video of it.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

KillRoy posted:

Quentin Tarinto was pretty pissy about Pulp Fiction losing everything to Forrest Gump and he went off about it at the MTV Movie Awards, but I cant find a video of it.

And the "South Park" guys trashed Phil Collins for an entire episode, culminating with a shot of him with his Oscar shoved up his rear end after he beat them out for Best Original Song in 1999.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Tender Bender posted:

I just watched The Aviator, and while I found it to be enjoyable I'm not sure what the point was. I learned a lot about a few decades in Howard Hughes' life, but there wasn't really a strong central plot and it just kind of ended at a very arbitrary point. Was Scorcese just trying to convey some biographical information or is there some underlying meaning/message that I didn't get?

It helps to remember that originally The Aviator was a Michael Mann project that he gave to Scorsese because he didn't want to do three biopics in a row.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

KillRoy posted:

This wouldn't necessarily surprise me, but hasn't Tarantino been quoted praising Forrest Gump?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

twistedmentat posted:

I'm fairly certain people are still pissed that Citizen Kane got beat out by How Green Was My Valley back in 1941 but, you know, How Green Was My Valley was infinitely better...at least the book was. :colbert:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zwille posted:

I think Kubrick didn't even make that successful films in the commercial sense, at least from what I remember having read. Cult following sure, but no box office hits.
Not counting Spartacus (the #3 highest-grossing film of 1960), 2001: A Space Odyssey (#2 of 1968), or A Clockwork Orange (#7 of 1971).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

SubG posted:

Not counting Spartacus (the #3 highest-grossing film of 1960), 2001: A Space Odyssey (#2 of 1968), or A Clockwork Orange (#7 of 1971).

Strangelove, The Shining, and FMJ also made bank.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Rake Arms posted:

This wouldn't necessarily surprise me, but hasn't Tarantino been quoted praising Forrest Gump?

His praise was something along the lines of Gump being a brilliant black comedy satirizing the American dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

I really like Ice Station Zebra. It's a good spy thriller film elevated by a great cast (Rock Hudson, Patrick McGoohan, Ernest Borgnine -- I'd include Jim Brown too but he's barely in it). In some ways, it has a lot in common with The Thing in that it centers around an exclusively male cast put into a paranoia inducing situation and most of the movie takes place in ice and snow (*). Hudson considered it his favourite of his own films.

Now all that considered, Hughes being obsessed with the film was probably his OCD. Themes of paranoia, isolation, and having a mysterious saboteur in your midst must have struck a chord in his head at that point in his life. Also, he was always a fan of planes and boats and other big military toys of which there are many in this film. I don't think he randomly chose it to obsess over at least. Is it a film that only appeals to crazy people though? Hardly.

(*) I just checked the wikipedia page for the film and discovered that John Carpenter loves this film - go figure.