Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

Vomik posted:

Thanks much both of you. I picked up Money, Everything Matters!, and Breakfast of Champions. That plus these other authors should keep me busy. I also found a novel Infinite Jest (a link to David Foster Wallace from Don DeLillo's wiki actually) and think I might read that at some point too.

The goons are crazy for Infinite Jest all of a sudden. I can't even count how many people have read it so far this year (and it's 1000+ pages and only the beginning of February!). I've heard nothing but great things about it and fully intend to read it myself soon as well. :D Let me know what you think about Money - it isn't my favourite of his books, but it's what I would most recommend based on your likes.

The people in front of me in class are discussing book recommendations right now. At my uni there are various literature genre appreciation classes, but they're full as soon as class enrollment starts (I was on waitlist for two of them months and did not get in). drat bastards! I just heard one of them say they didn't really like Neuromancer! Pearls before swine, I say. Pearls before swine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I searched his name back to page 53 and didn't see anything-- anybody wanna drop me a suggestion of where to start with Ernest Hemingway? Haven't read a thing by him, I don't think.

\/\/Thanks!\/\/

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 3, 2011

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Soul Glo posted:

I searched his name back to page 53 and didn't see anything-- anybody wanna drop me a suggestion of where to start with Ernest Hemingway? Haven't read a thing by him, I don't think.

The short stories or Sun Also Rises. Think both are available in wildly overpriced kindle editions, thanks Simon And Schuster!

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land
e: Oops wrong thread.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I'm looking for a good version of Miltons Paradise Lost for my kindle. I would like one with footnotes. I clicked on a bunch of versions on amazon.com but the reviews for the kindle versions were all pretty negative, saying they lacked any footnotes.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Lrdcthulu
Jan 7, 2007

Dopilsya posted:

For my own request, does anyone have any particularly good histories on Canada and Australia. I'm mostly looking for something general and my interest basically runs from colonisation up to WWII. Thanks for anyone's help.

I can offer two generally related things on Australia. 'The Great Shame: The Triumph of the Irish in the English Speaking World' by Thomas Keanealy has a lot of information about the founding of Australia, and 'The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding' by Robert Hughes is the standard popular account of the early history of the colony. I don't specifically know of any general histories, but I bet there is an 'Oxford History of Australia' or something similar.

Lrdcthulu
Jan 7, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I know someone asked before about books on the French Revolution, but I'm going to ask again. I was looking for books more about the events leading up to it, but nothing too textbook-y.

I know absolutely nothing about the French Revolution, but I want to learn, so that's a start.

Ok, well, one of the massive general histories is called 'Citizens: a Chronicle of the French Revolution' by Simon Schama. It's...big, kinda dense, but it was a really cool read and was full of awesome cultural details and other cool stuff. The only negative is that it's heavily tilted to the early stuff, and kinda moves faster and faster the farther you go along. (side note: it was published in 1989, 200 years after). 'The French Revolution: A Very Short Introduction' by William Doyle was pretty good, but like all of the books in that series, it's short, to the point and has little detail, but a good overview. It's also got a good bibliography in the end for further reading. Doyle's 'The Oxford History of the French Revolution' is also a really good overview, continent wide, rather than just so narrowly focused on France. Hope that helps!

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!

Soul Glo posted:

where to start with Ernest Hemingway?

It might seem an obvious choice, but 'The Old Man and The Sea' is absolutely fantastic. It's pithy and direct, and you could hardly find one stray or superflous word in the whole book.

Fedaykin
Mar 24, 2004
I've always loved reading but my strong areas in school were math and science not English. I recently finished this book and it opened a new appreciation for literature that I previously lacked. I would love any recommendations for books on literary theory or criticism that will increase my understanding and enjoyment of reading.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
I've worked my way through most of the (now obsolete?) Book Barn Hall of Fame and was just wondering if anyone could either recommend any other lists of 'must reads' or just recommend some books that I really should read? Vague question I know but I'm really up for anything that's highly regarded.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Weatherproof posted:

I've worked my way through most of the (now obsolete?) Book Barn Hall of Fame and was just wondering if anyone could either recommend any other lists of 'must reads' or just recommend some books that I really should read? Vague question I know but I'm really up for anything that's highly regarded.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/

I found this list which has alot of classics/must reads, the three I would recommend first would be the Vonnegut ones and the Kerouac novels in the list. But alot of those books are considered "must reads" pretty universally.

Dazzling Double V
Jul 26, 2007
Better than Rick Santorum's red boxers

Weatherproof posted:

Here's a list of lists of great books http://www.interleaves.org/~rteeter/greatbks.html I think that there was chatter about the Bloom list somewhere in this thread.

I have no idea what to make of a list that includes multiple biographies of Theodore Roosevelt, A Separate Peace, and whatever The Dangerous Book for Boys is.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Do good steampunk books exist?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gmq posted:

Yes, but they're rare, and are usually written by China Mieville. Try Mieville's Perdido Street Station, or for a runner-up, The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Jean-Christophe Valtat's Aurorarama is set in a pretty steampunky fictional city in the Arctic Circle and it's amazing.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Turns out the Sandman Slim series doesn't have another book out like I thought it did so I need something to read. In addition to that series, I liked the Dresden Files and Codex Alera, Ender's Game series, Sherlock Holmes, and The Hunger Games Trilogy. I liked the aSoIAF series too I guess.

Basically I'm interested in quick, easy books since I mostly read at work. Any suggestions? I tried starting Infinite Jest and The Magicians but I didn't care for either one,

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Have you checked out Jhereg by Steven Brust? It's the first book in a fairly light but well-written series following a sorcerer-assassin named Vlad Taltos that works for his world's Mafia. It's my favorite book series and if you like Butcher's writing style you'll almost certainly like Brust's.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Quid posted:

Turns out the Sandman Slim series doesn't have another book out like I thought it did so I need something to read. In addition to that series, I liked the Dresden Files and Codex Alera, Ender's Game series, Sherlock Holmes, and The Hunger Games Trilogy. I liked the aSoIAF series too I guess.

Basically I'm interested in quick, easy books since I mostly read at work. Any suggestions? I tried starting Infinite Jest and The Magicians but I didn't care for either one,

you wanted something quick and easy, so you picked up.... Infinite Jest?

well, at the risk of repeating myself, if you like the Dresden Files and Sandman Slim you might want to check out Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, which is now at five books, or possibly Jeff Vandermeer's Finch, which can be read alone or as part of his larger Ambergris world.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Haven't posted in this thread before; hope I'm doing it right...

I just finished the surprisingly excellent Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series, and I'm jonesing for some books with a similar flavor, by which I mean epic mystical kung fu quest-type stuff. Anybody have any good ideas?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

BusError posted:

Haven't posted in this thread before; hope I'm doing it right...

I just finished the surprisingly excellent Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series, and I'm jonesing for some books with a similar flavor, by which I mean epic mystical kung fu quest-type stuff. Anybody have any good ideas?
Journey to the West.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

you wanted something quick and easy, so you picked up.... Infinite Jest?

well, at the risk of repeating myself, if you like the Dresden Files and Sandman Slim you might want to check out Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, which is now at five books, or possibly Jeff Vandermeer's Finch, which can be read alone or as part of his larger Ambergris world.
Haha, no that was just poor sentence planning on my part. I was looking for anything good to read when I started Infinite Jest and it led me to the relization that such an involved book doesnt fit my reading schedule. I am hoping to get back to it if I can find more time to devote to reading it.

I'll check out Felix Castor and Jhereg soon, thanks for the suggestions. While I'm waiting for them to ship I borrowed the Mistborn series from a friend on his suggestion and the first book is pretty good so far. Just putting it out there in case anyone else is in the same boat as I am.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

The Ninth Layer posted:

Have you checked out Jhereg by Steven Brust? It's the first book in a fairly light but well-written series following a sorcerer-assassin named Vlad Taltos that works for his world's Mafia. It's my favorite book series and if you like Butcher's writing style you'll almost certainly like Brust's.

You know I've heard nothing but great things about this book and this series, and it really drives me nuts that Barnes and Noble only have a few of the books (not even the first one) for the nook. Not that I couldn't go pick it up at a bookstore or anything, but I really enjoy my nook.

Anyways, I just finished Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential in about 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Does anyone have any other reccomendations for books that give you an insider's look to the 'gritty' underworld of professions that are similar to this?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Ckwiesr posted:

Anyways, I just finished Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential in about 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Does anyone have any other reccomendations for books that give you an insider's look to the 'gritty' underworld of professions that are similar to this?

"gritty underworld"? try Tom Jonkinen's Curtains: Adventures of an Undertaker-in-Training. as for something related to Bourdain's book, one of my fellow booksellers really liked Marco White's The Devil in the Kitchen. Mary Roach's books are a great mixture of information and humor, but they might not meet your grit requirement.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

funkybottoms posted:

"gritty underworld"? try Tom Jonkinen's Curtains: Adventures of an Undertaker-in-Training. as for something related to Bourdain's book, one of my fellow booksellers really liked Marco White's The Devil in the Kitchen. Mary Roach's books are a great mixture of information and humor, but they might not meet your grit requirement.

Hmm maybe I should have phrased that better. By 'gritty underworld' I was moreso talking about (and to quote Bourdain) the 'underbelly of the culinary world' type stuff.

Ticonderoguy
Feb 10, 2011
Alright I just have finished a 3 month stretch of reading where I have only read non-fiction and Heart of Darkness however I am in dire want of something like a Steve Berry or Dan Brown book which I can finish in a short time. Anybody have any kind of recommendation?

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick.
Oh god no. I read this and it was not what I wanted at all. I read the whole thing, hoping it would improve suddenly or pull some kind of amazing twist ending out its rear end, but no, it was just bad. There was a twist ending, but it made the whole book even worse in retrospect.

Was it just me? :ohdear:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ticonderoguy posted:

Alright I just have finished a 3 month stretch of reading where I have only read non-fiction and Heart of Darkness however I am in dire want of something like a Steve Berry or Dan Brown book which I can finish in a short time. Anybody have any kind of recommendation?
I can't say I'm familiar with Steve Berry, but as far as Dan Brown goes, you might like the Ethan Gage adventures by William Dietrich, starting with Napoleon's Pyramids. It's kind of like a mix of Dan Brown and the Sharpe's Adventure series by Bernard Cornwell. The main character is a Han Solo or Indiana Jones type 'charming rogue' sort of character, who travels to Egypt and the Holy Land alongside Napoleon's army in the late 1800s as he tries to find an ancient magic artifact before the bad guys can get their hands on it. It's got a nice mix of action, humor, history, and intrigue (the Masons and their secrets are a pretty big part of it, which is what made me think of Dan Brown and his shadowy conspiracy groups), and is better written than Dan Brown, too (I don't have the hatred for Brown that a lot of people here do, in fact I quite like his books, but still). The first two need to be read in sequence, but the latter two seem to be stand-alone, although I've only read the first couple so I might be wrong about that.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

gmq posted:

I like all the books by Cherie Priest, starting with Boneshaker. They're set in a steampunk Civil War time period. They're not super duper highbrow literature or anything, but they're fun and have some interesting and original concepts.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hello clarice posted:

I like all the books by Cherie Priest, starting with Boneshaker. They're set in a steampunk Civil War time period. They're not super duper highbrow literature or anything, but they're fun and have some interesting and original concepts.

seconding that. Priest is also highly-intelligent and well-educated on the time period, so most of her writing is historically accurate, obvious technological liberties aside.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
My brain needed a rest after Joyce, and I'm working my way through (again) Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, and The Warlord of Mars. I'm looking for some recommendations for other good, pulp-style sci-fi (not by Mieville) once I'm done. Any ideas?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Roark posted:

My brain needed a rest after Joyce, and I'm working my way through (again) Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, and The Warlord of Mars. I'm looking for some recommendations for other good, pulp-style sci-fi (not by Mieville) once I'm done. Any ideas?

The Demon Princes series by Jack Vance

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I'd like something FUNNY. Any genre will do, fiction or non-fiction. Heck, it doesn't even have to have a plot/subject, though that'd be a bonus. Double-bonus if I can get it on Kindle.

edit: Something like "Catch-22" or "Deep Thoughts"

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 12, 2011

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Professor Moriarty posted:

I'd like something FUNNY. Any genre will do, fiction or non-fiction. Heck, it doesn't even have to have a plot/subject, though that'd be a bonus. Double-bonus if I can get it on Kindle.

I just finished Patton Oswalt's new book, Zombie, Spaceship, Wasteland. It's about half-off on Kindle. Or was yesterday.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Professor Moriarty posted:

Without having much of any idea what you've already read, here are some recommendations for funny books:

Almost anything by David Sedaris. My favorite story is called "Six to Eight Black Men," which is in Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (and you can google it to read it and get a sense of Sedaris' style), but all of his books are pretty funny.

If you like British humor I'd recommend Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Good Omens is usually the first book I think of when a friend is looking for something funny. HHGTTG is just a classic and everyone should read it.

You could also check out A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, Ignatius Reilly is one of the best characters ever, provided you don't mind your protagonist to be a little bit frustrating. Won the Pulitzer for fiction in 1981 - the story behind this book's publication is also really interesting.

I thought Candide by Voltaire was quite funny, but I might be alone on that one.

Hope this helps.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd like some recommendations please for the following;

• Good general history non-fiction about the building of railroads during frontier expansion and their effect on the shrinking of trade routes, eg: the Transcontinental Railroad in the US, Cecil Rhodes' African railroad, etc.

• Fiction relating to the above

• Good colonial-period fiction, I'm especially interested in trade routes/ports such as Hong Kong, San Francisco, etc

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Can anyone recommend me a book explaining the European scenario of World War II, if it can be found on the Kindle store the better.

Is a Short History of World War II by James Stokesbury any good?

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I'm looking to gift a book to my teenage brother who has never read a book more complex than something like Goosebumps. He was recently sentenced to jail time and has asked me to find him something he could get interested in considering how much time he has on his hands now.

I am sort of lost here, my best ideas for novels were Holes and The Catcher in the Rye (probably a bad idea), but I'm honestly not so sure that a novel is the best idea. Maybe something easier to digest like short stories? I'm looking for anything that is optimistic and thought provoking for a teenager who has serious trouble reading.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Pete Zah posted:

I'm looking to gift a book to my teenage brother who has never read a book more complex than something like Goosebumps. He was recently sentenced to jail time and has asked me to find him something he could get interested in considering how much time he has on his hands now.

I am sort of lost here, my best ideas for novels were Holes and The Catcher in the Rye (probably a bad idea), but I'm honestly not so sure that a novel is the best idea. Maybe something easier to digest like short stories? I'm looking for anything that is optimistic and thought provoking for a teenager who has serious trouble reading.
Harry Potter

Also, Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.

Pete Zah posted:

I always liked Ray Bradbury's short story collections, try one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Any book of short stories would probably do the trick - they're usually not too complex or hard to read. Here's some collections I liked that range between different writers, styles and lengths.