Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm trying to figure out the name of a book I owned as a child (likely published before 1995). iirc, it had a cover that was done in pastel-y sunset colours, and possibly had some kind of reflective mirror sheet on it to make it look like a real mirror. What I remember of the plot: it took place in Winnipeg for at least part of the book, in a shopping mall. The protagonist(s) was(were) a young boy and possibly his sister? I think there are from some alternate universe or something (maybe medieval times, a prince and a princess?) , because they find the concept of the shopping mall and money strange, and I think at one point end up begging for money in the mall food court. The only other thing I really remember is them talking about the snow outside the mall.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I'm trying to remember a book I read maybe 15 or so years ago. It was a sci-fi book that took place I guess some time in the future. Pretty much everyone except religious fundies would upload their minds to some big computer and then cremate their bodies, then they would live forever in the computer unless they chose to commit suicide. The main character was a guy, a teenager or young adult, and he didn't want to upload himself, but he wasn't religious. His parents did, and sometimes he would upload his mind temporarily to go visit them, but he couldn't stay for long or he would get a big headache or something when he came back to his real body. Also his best friend or caretaker was a robot or android thing.

Any ideas? I've tried looking online without success. Funny I can remember the exact bookstore I got it from and who I was with but not the title or author or the main character's name or anything.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006
When I was younger there was this book in the comedy section at bookstores about a guy who would write fake letters to people/corporations and get a real response back. One page would feature the note he wrote the other would be like a photocopy and transcript of the one he would receive back.

I've tried goggling various parts of what I posted but haven't found any clues about an author or title.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Darth Brookz posted:

When I was younger there was this book in the comedy section at bookstores about a guy who would write fake letters to people/corporations and get a real response back. One page would feature the note he wrote the other would be like a photocopy and transcript of the one he would receive back.

I've tried goggling various parts of what I posted but haven't found any clues about an author or title.

First one I thought of is Henry Root, but a few people have done that and if it isn't him then the answer's probably on this page.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Darth Brookz posted:

I think you mean The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper. (Found via Unkempt's Wikipedia link.)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

About 4 years ago I read a historical novel about a young girl growing up in (I believe) Japan that had a fairly graphic description of foot binding. I thought it was Memoirs of a Geisha but just finished rereading that and it's not in there. Any ideas what it might have been?

e: looks like it was probably Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, though the description sounds only vaguely familiar. Jesus I have a terrible memory.

e2: vvvvv think that's it, thanks.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 7, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? It's 19th century China, but includes a lot about foot binding.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

regulargonzalez posted:

About 4 years ago I read a historical novel about a young girl growing up in (I believe) Japan that had a fairly graphic description of foot binding. I thought it was Memoirs of a Geisha but just finished rereading that and it's not in there. Any ideas what it might have been?

e: looks like it was probably Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, though the description sounds only vaguely familiar. Jesus I have a terrible memory.

e2: vvvvv think that's it, thanks.

That is definitely it. It's pretty similar to Memoirs of a Geisha in terms of story structure and language, except it takes place in China.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!

Darth Brookz posted:

Letters from a Nut, perhaps?

http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Nut-Ted-L-Nancy/dp/0380973545/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297133079&sr=8-1

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."
written from the perspective of a kid keeping a journal. some highlights include:

dressing as a girl

Inventing a watch??

claiming used condoms are part of a balloon collection.

Writing his journal in code

my friend had this book while traveling the trains in Europe and lacking reading material i borrowed it whenever she was asleep.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There is also the similar (but much funnier imo) Idiot Letters
http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-Letters-Paul-Rosa/dp/038547508X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297143308&sr=8-1

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Hello again, thanks for the help with my last request.

Once again I have a forgotten title nagging at my mind.

The main character was a girl with the power to speak with animals. There other people with powers generally feared/mistreated. At one point in the book she is captured and put into a place where a country has been training such people to be a military force. But eventually she leads a revolt and breaks out.

Eventually she ends up at a castle I think, where she discovers there are 2 dragons, which were thought to be extinct. And it comes to light that the powers people have gained are a result of having lived on land were dragons used to reside.

Any ideas?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Florida Betty posted:

I'm trying to remember a book I read maybe 15 or so years ago. It was a sci-fi book that took place I guess some time in the future. Pretty much everyone except religious fundies would upload their minds to some big computer and then cremate their bodies, then they would live forever in the computer unless they chose to commit suicide. The main character was a guy, a teenager or young adult, and he didn't want to upload himself, but he wasn't religious. His parents did, and sometimes he would upload his mind temporarily to go visit them, but he couldn't stay for long or he would get a big headache or something when he came back to his real body. Also his best friend or caretaker was a robot or android thing.

Any ideas? I've tried looking online without success. Funny I can remember the exact bookstore I got it from and who I was with but not the title or author or the main character's name or anything.

Found it!

Circuit of Heaven by Dennis Danvers

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
Vague memories of what's probably a sci-fi anthology short story read fifteen or twenty years ago. The world's been subjugated by nonhumanoid aliens (feathery, tripodish?) that can telepathically detect emotions, meaning that any would-be assassins get zapped by mind rays or whatever before they can attack. A character is able to snipe them by focusing on their beauty, loving them as he pulls the trigger. Pretty sure that this isn't a large-scale resistance. No idea if this was the entirety of the story or why I'm thinking of it, but any guesses?

There's also a sci-fi book read around the same time, maybe part of a space opera series. There's three things I remember: people that might as well be gods that burn entire stars to power wormhole-spacefold things, some kind of sentient (whale?) spacecraft that might have a link with a human pilot, and swarms of black-clad amber-eyed cyborg child soldiers that carve each other up with eyelasers in space. Imagine it's terrible, internet's pretending that it never existed.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OG17 posted:

Vague memories of what's probably a sci-fi anthology short story read fifteen or twenty years ago. The world's been subjugated by nonhumanoid aliens (feathery, tripodish?) that can telepathically detect emotions, meaning that any would-be assassins get zapped by mind rays or whatever before they can attack. A character is able to snipe them by focusing on their beauty, loving them as he pulls the trigger. Pretty sure that this isn't a large-scale resistance. No idea if this was the entirety of the story or why I'm thinking of it, but any guesses?
It's by Damon Knight; I can't remember the title offhand....

The Uber Skull
Feb 2, 2010

Death is pretty in pink

The Uber Skull posted:

This was a novel I skim read at a holiday house so my memory's not that great, it was a trashy, faux-historical, romance which started with the main character being raped by some important dude. Later she fell in love with him, then she fell in love with someone else and they went on a boat. For some reason there was a hot tubbing scene on the boat where she "lovingly washed his man jewels". Then while possibly still on the boat the first guy showed up and fought a duel with the second guy over the lady. The first guy won and took her as his prize and that's all I remember.

Any suggestions to what this book could have been?

I finally found this book after trawling through a shitload of romance novel sites. It's "Savage Surrender" by Natasha Peters.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Darth Brookz posted:

The original and best letter hoax - by Don Novello aka Father Guido Sarducci aka Lazlo Toth
The Lazlo Letters

superuser
Sep 11, 2001

Auctorita tergo solium
Grimey Drawer

Silent Bobble posted:

I read this book probably about 13 or so years ago. It takes place in modern times and the 1940's and deals with a boy. He lives with his mother and his abusive father. Somehow the kid discovers a doorway that puts him about 50 years in the past and goes back and forth through this doorway a few times. At one point the boy goes through the doorway for good in hopes that he can save his mother if he waits 50 years to catch up to present times.

Don't know if it helps any, but I remember there being a scene when he's back in the 40's where he attempts to but a Detective Comics #2 or something but can't due to modern currency not looking like the way 1940's currency looked like.

I've been trying to track this book down for a couple of years now and have had no luck so far. Thanks in advance!

This is a great book--it's Mr. Was by Pete Hautman.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green
I'm trying to remember the title of a YA book I read in middle school; this would have been mid-90s.

It was set in the future (I think), pretty dystopian; the main theme was that there was a class of poor/oppressed people who worked in some sort of mines, and it was bitterly, utterly cold, all the time. Maybe something happened with the weather and the sun didn't shine in their area, something like that. Anyway, the higher-class people lived in these towers, maybe on a hill... and they had access to heat and sunlight. I recall that there was a young girl from the poor group who for whatever reason was able to go stay with the rich folks, and... somehow ended up liberating her people, and bringing back the sun? This description keeps getting more vague the more I add to it, but the most significant thing about the book is that it got across so clearly and strongly the depth of how cold their world was, and how precious and life-changing being in the warmth of the sun could be. Like, I remember reading it and just getting literal chills.

Any ideas?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sarah synonymous posted:

I'm trying to remember the title of a YA book I read in middle school; this would have been mid-90s.

It was set in the future (I think), pretty dystopian; the main theme was that there was a class of poor/oppressed people who worked in some sort of mines, and it was bitterly, utterly cold, all the time. Maybe something happened with the weather and the sun didn't shine in their area, something like that. Anyway, the higher-class people lived in these towers, maybe on a hill... and they had access to heat and sunlight. I recall that there was a young girl from the poor group who for whatever reason was able to go stay with the rich folks, and... somehow ended up liberating her people, and bringing back the sun? This description keeps getting more vague the more I add to it, but the most significant thing about the book is that it got across so clearly and strongly the depth of how cold their world was, and how precious and life-changing being in the warmth of the sun could be. Like, I remember reading it and just getting literal chills.

Any ideas?
Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan?

vvv Yay! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 16, 2011

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

Cross posting from the general book barn thread, because I didn't see this one :(

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for a children's book I had when I was little. I'm 32 now, and I started reading very young, so it could easily be 30 years old. It was a picture book about a little house in a meadow where a bunch of sisters lived. Each sister was different, one was book-ish, another baked, another one was super pretty. One day they found a bunny and nursed it back to health. Anybody have any clues?

edit: Google failed me, but ebay didn't! http://cgi.ebay.com/Once-Upon-Time-Meadow-Rose-Selarose-/190474803641?pt=US_Childrens_Books&hash=item2c592ed9b9#ht_483wt_1171

Lealoo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 15, 2011

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

deety posted:

Never read them, but Google thinks maybe it's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_series

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah it's the Tomorrow series. Check out the movie adaptation that came out this year, too!

I know these were posted over a month ago, but this was it, thanks to both of you.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

Engelbrecht posted:

Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan?

Holy poo poo, yes. You're my hero. Thank you!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

OG17 posted:

There's also a sci-fi book read around the same time, maybe part of a space opera series. There's three things I remember: people that might as well be gods that burn entire stars to power wormhole-spacefold things, some kind of sentient (whale?) spacecraft that might have a link with a human pilot, and swarms of black-clad amber-eyed cyborg child soldiers that carve each other up with eyelasers in space. Imagine it's terrible, internet's pretending that it never existed.

Actually, it's not terrible at all. The book is called "Light on the Sound" by Somtow Sucharitkul, and it was really interesting stuff. He wrote several books that followed and made up a series, and some of his other writings around that time were pretty cool. I have hears that his writing has gone downhill since the 80's and 90's, but I haven't read anything recent.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I'm trying to remember a book I've read about 15-18 years ago. I was a bookworm at a young age but this is the only book that has stuck with me to this day.

The book was about these people who passed on their memories/feelings. There were keepers of memories whose responsibilities were to pass it on the the next generation. Once memories were passed on, they could not "remember/possess" it anymore. The memories were passed by touch.
I believe near the end of the book, the people were being attacked or their world was coming to an end. One of the keepers was protecting a child. As their world started crumbling, he would pass on his memories/feelings to the child so the child could understand and feel them.

As I've last read this book many many years ago, my memory is very vague but I hope someone could identify this book as I would love to to be able to read it again.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

iLikeMidgets posted:

I'm trying to remember a book I've read about 15-18 years ago. I was a bookworm at a young age but this is the only book that has stuck with me to this day.

The book was about these people who passed on their memories/feelings. There were keepers of memories whose responsibilities were to pass it on the the next generation. Once memories were passed on, they could not "remember/possess" it anymore. The memories were passed by touch.
I believe near the end of the book, the people were being attacked or their world was coming to an end. One of the keepers was protecting a child. As their world started crumbling, he would pass on his memories/feelings to the child so the child could understand and feel them.

As I've last read this book many many years ago, my memory is very vague but I hope someone could identify this book as I would love to to be able to read it again.

The Giver by Lois Lowry

It is an excellent book and well worth a reread as an adult. There are also two sequels (Gathering Blue and Messenger) which are pretty good but still somehow sort of ruined the magic of the first book for me, maybe because I didn't read them until last year.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 20, 2011

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

iLikeMidgets posted:

Pretty sure that's The Giver.

EFB

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Florida Betty posted:

The Giver by Lois Lowry

It is an excellent book and well worth a reread as an adult. There are also two sequels (Gathering Blue and Messenger) which are pretty good but still somehow sort of ruined the magic of the first book for me, maybe because I didn't read them until last year.

Thank you!! You too as well Piell. Ordered it from Amazon.
I just read a summary of the book and it's definitely deeper than I remembered it.
I can't wait to read this again. I never knew there were sequels but will check them out after.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
doublepost

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Florida Betty posted:

The Giver by Lois Lowry

That is exactly my reaction to the two sequels as well. And I didn't read The Giver for the first time as a kid; I was in college when I first read it.

woober
Jun 4, 2005

A sci-fi novel was on the recent additions shelf at the library, my phone ate the author's name I had written down, and someone else has nabbed it in the meantime. Can't remember enough details to get google to work in my favor.

Recent-looking solid paperback with nothing but a starfield and text on front/back covers, a spaceship crew on the way back from a long trade mission arrives home but finds everyone's dead. Something or other on the ship forces them to the surface where they're exposed to it and they've got 30 days before they all fall victim to the same thing that killed the rest of the planet.

edit: Found it. Nexus: Ascension, Robert Boyczuk. Now to see if its any good.

woober fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 6, 2011

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
Trying to find a scifi/fantasy novella I read a number of years ago.

In it there are dragons that are actually mecanical/AI who are piloted by elves(?) one of them crashlands in this little podunk village and the pilot dies. The dragon demands that someone from the village interface with it and tries everyone before settling on the protagonist (can't remember why, think he was secretly part human or something). Protagonist acts as dragon's mouthpiece to the village, and he gets addicted to the stuff that gets injected into his veins when he interfaces with the machine and begins to abuse his power. I remember that some of the villagers try to rise up, headed by the protagonists ex-best friend, and he decides to have the best friend crucified as an example.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Philo posted:

Trying to find a scifi/fantasy novella I read a number of years ago.

In it there are dragons that are actually mecanical/AI who are piloted by elves(?) one of them crashlands in this little podunk village and the pilot dies. The dragon demands that someone from the village interface with it and tries everyone before settling on the protagonist (can't remember why, think he was secretly part human or something). Protagonist acts as dragon's mouthpiece to the village, and he gets addicted to the stuff that gets injected into his veins when he interfaces with the machine and begins to abuse his power. I remember that some of the villagers try to rise up, headed by the protagonists ex-best friend, and he decides to have the best friend crucified as an example.

The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Which is a sequel/follow up to The Iron Dragons daughter, which is well worth a read.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
You guys just made my week! Thanks a ton!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've got one I read when I was a young teenager. I can't remember whether it was a short story or a novel. It was sci-fi and I can really only remember one detail about it. This guy took off from earth on a ship that would be traveling at light speed. At first he would recieve messages from his wife once a week or so, but as he increased up to light speed and time got all screwy he would be getting them every second or something like that. That's really all I can remember. Anyone have any ideas?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

.Z. posted:

Hello again, thanks for the help with my last request.

Once again I have a forgotten title nagging at my mind.

The main character was a girl with the power to speak with animals. There other people with powers generally feared/mistreated. At one point in the book she is captured and put into a place where a country has been training such people to be a military force. But eventually she leads a revolt and breaks out.

Eventually she ends up at a castle I think, where she discovers there are 2 dragons, which were thought to be extinct. And it comes to light that the powers people have gained are a result of having lived on land were dragons used to reside.

Any ideas?

Found it. The Secret of Dragonhome

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
I'm looking for a sci-fi novel that I read in the late 90's but judging by the cover it may have been written in the 70's or 80's.

It starts with a college professor who finds an old slot machine in the basement of his office building. He uses the slot machine and gets a token which transports him to another world.

He meets up with a group of people from various parallel dimensions. I remember an android, a priest, and a woman who was from a society run by women instead of men. They explore their surroundings and find:

* A giant cube in a sand pit surrounded by traps
* An abandoned city with portals that switch between parallel universes
* A desert with an infinite sand cliff that falls into nothingness
* A totem pole that sings some kind of siren song
* A werewolf type creature stalking them

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mammon Loves You posted:

I'm looking for a sci-fi novel that I read in the late 90's but judging by the cover it may have been written in the 70's or 80's.

It starts with a college professor who finds an old slot machine in the basement of his office building. He uses the slot machine and gets a token which transports him to another world.

He meets up with a group of people from various parallel dimensions. I remember an android, a priest, and a woman who was from a society run by women instead of men. They explore their surroundings and find:

* A giant cube in a sand pit surrounded by traps
* An abandoned city with portals that switch between parallel universes
* A desert with an infinite sand cliff that falls into nothingness
* A totem pole that sings some kind of siren song
* A werewolf type creature stalking them

Special Deliverance, Clifford D. Simak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
In fifth grade I read a fiction book about about a girl who was being held prisoner on a ship and was tried by the captain at a trial-by-sea. Parts of the book were about how bad the conditions at sea were, and hardtack.