Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
El Topo & The Holy Mountain 4/26 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Deadwood: The Complete Series is today's deal of the day on Amazon. Only $85.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00129AJFO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00129AJFO

doctor thodt posted:

El Topo & The Holy Mountain 4/26 :)

Are those Criterions? - edit Anchor Bay, hmmm, can't wait to see what they bring to the table.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 3, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

The Holy Mountain 4/26 :)

:worship:

If they do a good job on this I'll be delighted.

Where are all the Tarkovsky Blu-Rays at though?
I want Stalker :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Deadwood: The Complete Series is today's deal of the day on Amazon. Only $85.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00129AJFO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00129AJFO

Couldn't pass it up this time. Ordered.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
StudioCanal just can't quite get there, can they?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Tron and Tron: Legacy pre-orders are up on Amazon. They also have an instant coupon for select titles located on the pages for each item: $5 off the 3D Combo, 2-Movie Combo and Limited Edition packs, and $8 off if you buy the 2D Legacy and Tron releases together.

The 2-movie collection ends up being $50.99 after coupon. Unfortunately, since the Tron Classic release says it has both a blu-ray and dvd, and the 2-movie collection only has 1 more disc than the Legacy 3D release, I'm guessing collection buyers don't get the extra dvd. Buying the 3D release with coupon and the Tron release together ends up costing $57, so if you pay 7 bucks more you get a dvd of Tron and separate cases. I decided to pre-order all 3 and just make cancellations of what I don't want as we get closer to release. The coupons are active until February 10th.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Not to stir the pot after my ill advised posting about Sunshine...........but my copy came. They even sent a brand new case with it instead of just throwing it in a sleeve, and a week early too.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

If any of you nerds want a new computer background, I just threw this together in Photoshop:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

:stat: So, what did you think of The Stranger on Blu-Ray?
:wal: It ain't half bad!
:stat: It ain't half good, either!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Haha, what the hell was the "remastering" process on that?

Upscale.
Upscale.
DNR.
Sharpen.
DNR.
Sharpen.
DNR.
DNR.
Sharpen.
DNR.
Contrast boost.
Brighten.
DNR.

Fayez Butts posted:

If any of you nerds want a new computer background, I just threw this together in Photoshop:

Awesome.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Ay yi yi, this doesn't bode well for Kansas City Confidential. I'm glad I decided to hold on to my DVDs and wait for reviews.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Not really anywhere else to put this:

Got Monsters on Bluray today, and it was surprisingly good. The mixed reviews had me worried, but Ebert pretty much never steers me wrong.

It's also pretty cheap $16.99 at Best Buy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha, what the hell was the "remastering" process on that?

Actually, I think it is a new transfer from a 35mm print, but they filtered the hell out of it. Without seeing the disc in motion, I don't see the waxiness of the usual DVNR fare, but rather the DVD-style noise filtering. It would be interesting to see what the raw transfer looked like... probably a lot of dirt and scratches, but decent sharpness and detail.

It's definitely not an upscale of the MGM DVD, nor an upscale from the usual PD dreck.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just got my Deadwood boxset in the mail yesterday. Holy poo poo is the packaging phenomenal. Other boxsets need quality like that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, I think it is a new transfer from a 35mm print, but they filtered the hell out of it.

That just makes it extra tragic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Awesome... Amazon has Tron/Tron Legacy 5-disc Blu for $45 shipped after a coupon. I sold the DVD for $40. $5 to upgrade and get the new movie. :smug:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That just makes it extra tragic.

At least it's passable to anyone unknowing. No one is going to think "aw, old movies look like crap!" like they would with Gulliver's Travels.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

Aren't you supposed to end every Waldorf and Statler exchange with :wal: :stat: AH HO HO HO HO HO HO

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

drat, Europe is getting a bunch of stuff we aren't... yet.

Mean Streets
The Hustler
L'age D'or
Sympathy for the Devil

Red posted:

Aren't you supposed to end every Waldorf and Statler exchange with :wal: :stat: AH HO HO HO HO HO HO

I thought it would be overkill.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Man Who Would Be King digibook, June 7th

no new extras, just the same old vintage featurette

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Apocalypse Now (the two disc edition) dropped to $12.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XMXZCW?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003XMXZCW

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: nevermind

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Holy cow, that's awesome. I didn't expect that this would ever make it so soon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: nevermind

I figured you were talking about the three disc version with Hearts Of Darkness (which I do wish would go on sale :()

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2011

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sporadic posted:

I figured you were talking about the three disc version with Hearts Of Darkness (which I do wish would go on sell :()

Yeah I had it in my head that it was criterion but it wasn't. I'd love to grab the three disc for that cheap.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GonSmithe posted:

Well, according to Amazon.ca, they WILL be releasing it by itself, but, there's no US confirmation for that yet.

Either way, jesus christ I hope that ultimate edition isn't TOO much. I'm buying it even if it is, but gently caress.

Space_Butler I was a little confused with your last post about the different combos and prices for Tron releases but I just wanted to make sure everyone knew you can buy the original Tron on bluray all by itself:

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Original-Classic-Two-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B004KPLVW2/

Edit: Jesus christ there are too many options. Just give me the blurays of each movie, I don't want all this other crap.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 7, 2011

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Space_Butler I was a little confused with your last post about the different combos and prices for Tron releases but I just wanted to make sure everyone knew you can buy the original Tron on bluray all by itself:

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Original-Classic-Two-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B004KPLVW2/

Edit: Jesus christ there are too many options. Just give me the blurays of each movie, I don't want all this other crap.
They're definitely making it hard to understand which version to buy depending on what you want. The big problem is the re-release of Tron, because that alone makes more options a necessity. Here's what I would have done:
Tron Legacy 3d/2d/dvd/digital copy
Tron Legacy 2d blu-ray
Tron Classic
Then have deals at every retailer that says "Buy Tron Classic with either Tron Legacy release and save $x off your total!" That would have been the most simple way to go about this.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Any pictures of the digibook available? Also, is there any chance they'd pack in a DVD? This is one of my dad's favorite movies, and I'd probably blind-buy it so I can watch it with him at his house, but he doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, so...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Red posted:

Any pictures of the digibook available? Also, is there any chance they'd pack in a DVD? This is one of my dad's favorite movies, and I'd probably blind-buy it so I can watch it with him at his house, but he doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, so...

Picture here (clickable to giant size).

It's a pretty fun movie, I might buy it myself.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
From the thumbnail it looked like Sean Connery was just giving a thumbs up on the cover.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

I don't know what this is from.

I'm not a big enough nerd :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Max22 posted:

I don't know what this is from.

I'm not a big enough nerd :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Dammit :doh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Donnie Brasco/Arlington Road 2 pack dropped down to $10.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X82CVQ?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003X82CVQ

Kull the Conqueror posted:

From the thumbnail it looked like Sean Connery was just giving a thumbs up on the cover.

Reminded me of a Crank or something of that nature with the text sideways. Pretty horrible cover but I can't wait to see the transfer.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disney Movie Rewards has $10 off coupons for Bambi and Nausicaa.

Enter 786936791754 for Nausicaa and 786936244175 for Bambi.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Now if I could find a way for this to drop Nausicaa into the sub-$12 range, it would be a perfect situation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Still should be a definite upgrade from the 2 sided dvd.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

doctor thodt posted:

Disney Movie Rewards has $10 off coupons for Bambi and Nausicaa.

Enter 786936791754 for Nausicaa and 786936244175 for Bambi.

Now is there anywhere that'll actually sell Nausicaa for $25 or less?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kansas City Confidential? More like Kansas lovely Confidential, amirite?

:sigh:

Also, here's All the President's Men and Fish Tank.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I...

I can finally retire my DVD that I had to flip over half way through while watching my favorite movie?

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Picture here (clickable to giant size).

It's a pretty fun movie, I might buy it myself.

Thirty five bucks... ?

I'm not even sure I'd go in if the price was half that.

• Locked thread