Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Space Prostitute posted:

Are the comments saved when these strips are archived? Because the comment section is maybe the best part of City Face

Sadly, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illie
Jan 13, 2011

Space Prostitute posted:

Are the comments saved when these strips are archived? Because the comment section is maybe the best part of City Face

I've never read the comments regularly before now because well you all know but hey look at that they are actually really cute. City Face is the best.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Kismet posted:

Wait, so does Tom play with his comments section, or does Gunnerkrigg just have the best fans on the face of the planet?

Also, why have I never bothered reading the comments before? This is a day of many discoveries.

Unfortunately the comments are normally pretty terrible, Siddell writes the cityface comments himself. I remember the characters from the last chapter.

...Yep, the gunnerkrigg court wiki has a page with the comments from City Face 1 http://gunnerkrigg.wikia.com/wiki/City_Face_comments

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Yeah the comments are usually things like "Does that mean Reynard is actually Annie's dad?" "Is that woman" (who turned out to be Jones) "Gamma's mom?" "Is Brinnie actually Jones?" "Is Jones a robot?"

Really you can kind of tell what the comment sections are usually like by looking at some of the author notes under the comics (like "no, you don't know the kid Reynard possessed," "no, that is neither Jones nor Gamma's mother," and "Jones: Not A Robot shirts available now!")

The City Face comments are great though.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Wasn't there one strip that the comment section got so confused about he had to break it down and explain everything? I think that was the start of his exasperated explanations of all the content just so they never get that confused again.

(I also love the constant misspellings of Reynard that he puts into the author's comments when there is a strip featuring him. Is there a backstory behind that as well, or is it just Tea-San just messing around?)

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

This one.

It was in the OP, but apparently the waffle link is dead. I'll fix that.

I think the mispellings of Reynard's name are probably a reference to the constant dumb-fan confusion over the fact that he's been referred to as Reynard, Renard and Reynardine at various points.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ah thanks. Sorry about that, I just got back up on Gunnerkrigg so I haven't looked at the thread in a while. I for one am just waiting for Robot's new body. But I am ever so excited that City Face is getting to chow down on some tasty things, even if that magpie is going to be all up in his area.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
I love the way City Face dialogue flows.

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 8, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Tom also routinely has to say "that guy is Eglamore" in his author's notes, though maybe that's just a running joke. I came to Gunnerkrigg really late (after the MGS4 comics) but it's amazing how often he has to say "this totally obvious thing is like this."

I mean, drat, you expect some level of stupidity with fans, but the sheer level of "I STILL THINK REYNARDINE IS ANNIE'S REAL DAD" going on is pretty absurd.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
GKC seems to attract the type of fans that examine every minute detail in every panel and then stretch them beyond all reason to jump to insane conclusions.

I always figured Tom's short comments like "That is not Gamma's mom" were just to poke fun at the behavior rather than to actually dissuade it, since you know the fans are going to do it anyway.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

^^^ I think it may be a little of both. Tom's always been very courteous to fans, so I think it's a friendly kind of poking fun, but at the same time I can imagine it would get tedious having people constantly willfully misunderstand the simplest elements of your work.

I thought we could be bad in this thread, until I actually looked at the old formspring page. Jesus christ. It was the way that even when people got an outright 'No' they would keep asking ever-more specific versions of the same question, slightly rephrased to give a different emphasis.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Ha ha ha. The new header. I didn't even notice that, earlier.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I've always imagined City Face talking like these guys.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Just reread the first year and noticed that Robot called Kat an angel when he first saw her, first time round I thought it was a throwaway line because he thought he was dead.
I also noticed Kat started wearing the shirt of the boy that turned into a bird. :3:

Also:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Noooo you cropped Annie's forced robot stare as she exited.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I love the city face comments:

quote:

i did i really did i saw you!
A_caudatus, 08.02.2011, 12:56am

you you you you did???
SuperCyan, 08.02.2011, 12:56am

i did yes i did see you!!!!!
A_caudatus, 08.02.2011, 12:57am

you did??
SuperCyan, 08.02.2011, 12:57am

yes!
A_caudatus, 08.02.2011, 12:57am

oh! oh wow!
SuperCyan, 08.02.2011, 12:57am

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH
Magpie55, 08.02.2011, 1:29am

e: hah, didn't catch "SuperCyan" at first.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
OH! WOW! THIS IS GREAT! OGEE!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magpies are definitely the most obnoxious birds in existence. This comic proves it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

DocFrance posted:

Magpies are definitely the most obnoxious birds in existence. This comic proves it.

Don't let Magpie55 hear you say that. That will make him all up not pleased, he might have to unleash some mad burns to get back at that insult.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I don't think the magpie is just saying "Oh, gee!" ...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=150

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mirage posted:

I don't think the magpie is just saying "Oh, gee!" ...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=150

Not out of the question, seeing how I assume the fairy on the lower right to be Polo, the one who taught City Face how to dance HELPED SAVE THE WORLD FROM DESTRUCTION BY TEACHING CITY FACE HOW TO CHARM THE GIRL PIGEON WITH THE LOVELIEST OF DANCES.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
City Face 2 grabs you by the balls from the first panel and never lets go. What's going to happen to our hero? Will he be stuck as a human businessman forever? Will he ever meet his hero and savior, Kat, again?

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
But he didn't even finish the bagel! Look, totally there is still some left!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I hope City Face will do well at being a good human businessman even though I am worried he might not have enough acumen for it! :ohdear:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

That would be an acumenical matter.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The worst of hells is in store for City Face. :smith:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Kismet posted:

That would be an acumenical matter.

Well played.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

The 19th Person posted:

The worst of hells is in store for City Face. :smith:

I'm fairly super unsure on that subject. Looks like City Face has that business man chop action down.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
For those who are curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegithalos_caudatus

I wonder what SuperCyan is, though. (A bluebird?)

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

idonotlikepeas posted:

For those who are curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegithalos_caudatus

I wonder what SuperCyan is, though. (A bluebird?)

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Saiyan

Edit: Oh, you mean all the commenters are birds? I'm thinking SuperCyan is a fairy with blue hair.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I got the Dragonball thing, yes. :)

But yeah, some of the commenters are fairies and some are birds. I thought SuperCyan was supposed to be a bird, but I could be wrong. TIME WILL TELL! (or not)

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

He's a blue tit!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tea-san posted:

He's a blue tit!

Man, I thought your comments section was sfw, but you've just got tits all over it!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Excellent, thank you. That makes much more sense than a bluebird. We don't have blue tits here in the States that I know of, but I've just spent a few instructive minutes watching some youtube videos of them.

(Yes, I realize exactly how many jokes one could make out of the last sentence, but that's just lazy.)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Time to make all the decisions!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just assumed Cyan was a fairy like Red and Blue.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just assumed Cyan was a fairy like Red and Blue.
Tea-san is the author, if you didn't know.

What gets me most curious about this arc is the epic scope of the action. Sure, we're getting two more comics per week, but how is this wild ride going to be over by Friday?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Fecha posted:

What gets me most curious about this arc is the epic scope of the action. Sure, we're getting two more comics per week, but how is this wild ride going to be over by Friday?

I heard that City Face 2 was filmed at the same time as City Face 3 and there's a "to be continued"!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Ugh when is Lightfoot going to get any time on screen??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fecha posted:

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that is what I had been assuming.