Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Raimundus posted:

How great is alcohol's impact on muscular development? If I've been looking after my muscle tone, lately, and I drink a beer tonight, am I going to regret it?

My stepfather is keeping some Guinness in the fridge. Never had it, before.

Edit: This poo poo sucks. It tastes like booze and water. I have no desire to take another sip.

Are you asking if one beer is going to have a noticeable effect on your muscle tone? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
Full time student, part time employed - I say part time, but that really should be read as 'working my rear end off on every possible shift available' -, same goes for three of my closest colleagues who have decided to team up and get our first rental house.
We've found a small handful of rental properties available that suit all our criteria, and we're all capable of doing so financially, however we're all very nervous about how leasers are going to perceive us. I mean, as we've discovered during our hunt for a home, many leasers ask for things like references, but if you've never rented before, then what sort of references are we even supposed to give? All we've really got under our belts are employers who might have a nice thing or two to say about us.
Furthermore, what are leasers generally looking for? Is 4x 20 year old university students highly regarded as lessees or is that the kind of thing leasers are going to avoid?

I'm australian, though I'm not sure how much that effects the matter. However, if anyone else has recently been through the process of moving out for the first time, please throw information at me! Greatly appreciated.
We have our first property inspection tomorrow, not sure how to play it, should we be trying to sell ourselves as ideal lessees at the inspection?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Raimundus posted:

How great is alcohol's impact on muscular development? If I've been looking after my muscle tone, lately, and I drink a beer tonight, am I going to regret it?

My stepfather is keeping some Guinness in the fridge. Never had it, before.

Edit: This poo poo sucks. It tastes like booze and water. I have no desire to take another sip.

How dare you. Guinness is the best. Was it draught or stout? Regardless, you should only have it from tap.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Dudebro posted:

How dare you. Guinness is the best. Was it draught or stout? Regardless, you should only have it from tap.

"Guinness Draught - Pasteurized Stout"

It came in a black can. I'm stumped.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
don't drink it from the can.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

I dumped it down the drain like the watery bullshit it was. I am very disappointed.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
You had this.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/754.jpg

Never seen it before. It's not quite the same can as in North America. Did it have that ball thing inside it? Did the can rattle at all? It's not the same without the nitrogen; that's why tap is better.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Dudebro posted:

You had this.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/754.jpg

Never seen it before. It's not quite the same can as in North America. Did it have that ball thing inside it? Did the can rattle at all? It's not the same without the nitrogen; that's why tap is better.

Yes, that can is almost exactly the same if not the exact same and yes, it had a plastic widget. I'm not exactly sure what it did, other than cause the can to violently depressurize when I opened it.

revolther
May 27, 2008
You aren't missing anything with Guinness, even in the best of situations, optimally poured from a tap at the brewery by a leprechaun, it's still a mediocre beer.

"But look at that Harp bro!"

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Dick Danger posted:

Full time student, part time employed - I say part time, but that really should be read as 'working my rear end off on every possible shift available' -, same goes for three of my closest colleagues who have decided to team up and get our first rental house.
We've found a small handful of rental properties available that suit all our criteria, and we're all capable of doing so financially, however we're all very nervous about how leasers are going to perceive us. I mean, as we've discovered during our hunt for a home, many leasers ask for things like references, but if you've never rented before, then what sort of references are we even supposed to give? All we've really got under our belts are employers who might have a nice thing or two to say about us.
Furthermore, what are leasers generally looking for? Is 4x 20 year old university students highly regarded as lessees or is that the kind of thing leasers are going to avoid?

I'm australian, though I'm not sure how much that effects the matter. However, if anyone else has recently been through the process of moving out for the first time, please throw information at me! Greatly appreciated.
We have our first property inspection tomorrow, not sure how to play it, should we be trying to sell ourselves as ideal lessees at the inspection?

They're going to want to either have you sign a really lovely lease on your end -with a really big deposit and a lot of clauses that allow them to get out of the lease or that would be easy to show that the lessor broke so they can get you out of there.
OR
you can get a reasonable lease and they will want someone older, that does have good references, to co-sign.

I had both things happen when I was 18 or 19, in the same situation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Drinking exactly one of the best beer in the world would still have no measurable effect on your health or body. You'd have to significantly raise the level of beer in your diet consistently for a long time to really mess yourself up.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Dick Danger posted:

:words:

Depends on where you're looking. Three years ago I was in your exact situation (in the United States). We were looking at properties within 2 miles of campus, though, and all of the landlords pretty much expected college students with no real references. We had to pay first and last months' rent up front, and got some weird clauses in our lease (not allowed to have a keg on the property, not allowed on the roof of the house, etc.) which were not enforced at all. All in all, it was a crappy house, incredibly cheap, and none of the parties involved expected us to be there past graduation.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I figure goons probably know the answer to this: Why do Japanese TV shows write what's being said at the bottom of the screen a lot of the time?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

revolther posted:

You aren't missing anything with Guinness, even in the best of situations, optimally poured from a tap at the brewery by a leprechaun, it's still a mediocre beer.

"But look at that Harp bro!"

This is the common beer snob position against Guinness, and I think beating it up has become just as much a right of passage as 'graduating' to it from Bud Light or whatever you drank as a teenager.

Guinness is great under the right conditions, but to create those conditions, one pretty much has to be in Ireland. Otherwise, yeah, no one should really bother. The draught can is as close as one can get, but even that is just a hint of what a truly good pour can be.

The reviews at BeerAdvocate, anyway, are mostly B's and A's with a smattering of C's. Hardly mediocre, but different tastes and all that.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is there a standard format for rap lyrics?

I don't know about the entire format, but I think it's generally expected that you begin your rap by saying "my name is [put your name here] and I'm here to say"

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

The Rokstar posted:

I figure goons probably know the answer to this: Why do Japanese TV shows write what's being said at the bottom of the screen a lot of the time?

2 reasons (so I hear)
1. to emphasize the humor. A lot of Japanese humor comes from a tiny change in wording. If you speak Japanese, the difference between a sentence with 'Ha' and 'Ga' is a lot like the difference between 'a' and 'the' in English. 'Did you see that guy? vs. "Did you see a guy?'. Jimaku (subtitling) is especially important/useful since most Japanese variety/comedy shows are not scripted or rehearsed so they do not have the luxury of reshooting, and sometimes the funny comment is not caught with the best audio so subtitling allows them to underline the humor in edit. It's not unusual for popular comedy duos to have 10-15 hours of TV broadcast a week, so there simply is no time to reshoot. The talent speaks off the cuff and editors work the rest of the time to move it into broadcast quality.

2. Re-emphasizing Kanji for homonyms, of whihc Japanese have several thousand.

If you want to ask in the Japanese specific threads:
Japanese Language thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472197
All things Japan thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3230654

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 7, 2011

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!

Dick Danger posted:

:words:
How did your inspection go today?

I was in the same situation when I first moved out. Even when I moved in with my boyfriend and friend we had troubles, and we all have full time jobs. Sorry to break it to you, but the uni house stereotype is still around (at least in Melbourne), and you'll have a hard time finding somewhere to live. They may trust you to make the payments, but they may not trust you not to trash the house. We got my boyfriend's Dad to write a letter saying he'd pay the rent if we ever defaulted, and any damages to the house. They only accepted us on that. That being said, it depends on which suburbs you are looking at. The further away from the CBD you look, the easier it will be to find a property. Mostly because the toss up will be between you and a young/single parent/both family, and you are as trustworthy as them. Not saying that you aren't a perfectly neat person who will pay your rent one week early every month, but you will have trouble convincing any real estate agent that, even if you are.

Edit: I don't know where you live, but in Melbourne there are houses close to the CBD that only uni students can in, they won't rent to anyone with a full time job. A lot of them are only studio or 1 bedroom, but very affordable ($200 a week). Have you tried looking into that?

Cookie Kwan fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 7, 2011

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there a way to find out if I have forgotten to file taxes any year over the past 20 years or so? (in the US)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
You can get a transcripts for the last 3 years for free, the second form, there is a fee and it will give you the complete filing information for that year.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Outside of that I don't know of a way.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Terminator reference in a kids show? Where did I see this?

I was half asleep on the couch and my kids had something on tv, from the little I remember I think it looked flash-animated like "wow wow wubbzy" but I can't find anything with google for that.

There was a green robot talking in a very overdone ahhnold voice and this robot looked up a name, sara connor or something sounding similar to sara connor in a phonebook and went and visited the person.

Anyone have any clue what this was? I'm normally a person who hates "adult" humor or media references in kids shows and movies, it always feels so forced and makes everyone kids and adults dumber for having seen it (shrek! :argh:) but this one I kind of liked the idea of I just cant remember much about it or how I saw it. For a second I almost thought I was going to see someone get shot by a killer robot on nick, nick jr or disney.

VVV trying to figure out what show I saw it in. VVV

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 7, 2011

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day
Edit: ^^ Ah, I misunderstood. Can't help, sorry.

Wagonburner posted:

Terminator reference in a kids show?

I don't quite get it...are you asking if the bit you described is an accurate reference to the Terminator movies?

If so, then yes it is.

Details to the specific series of events regarding the phone book reference.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 7, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

SkunkDuster posted:

Is there a way to find out if I have forgotten to file taxes any year over the past 20 years or so? (in the US)

Unless there is an open file on you, the IRS does not keep tax records about you for more than 7 years. IANAL.

VVV Edit:you posted a link for business, which are a different matter. Personal tax records are different. Various family members have run into this issue when trying to figure out how to get records straight after coming back into the country, and the IRS has repsonded by saying they do not have records for things over 7 years old.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 7, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Actually the 7 year thing is just a good number to follow for personal record retention (and a realistic period the IRS may audit within), the IRS keeps their records indefinitely and any advice on retention revolves around the type of record and what the limitations on that record are.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98513,00.html

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I need to wipe (completely) some drives both external ones, and then the internal drive of computer stuff I am giving away.

The Laptop in an old WinXP, and if I remember correctly XP does not have a write over data function built in.

Any suggestions for what to use to wipe the externals and then finally the internal of the laptop?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
you should be able to plug the externals into the laptop and do all drives at once with dban. I've never done more than 1 drive at a time but I'm lead to believe from things I've seen on the screen it works like this.

its an iso you burn to cd and boot from.

http://www.dban.org/

Don't put the disc in any computer you care about until you know how it works. (even then don't cause when your gf, mom, brother whatever tries to use your computer while your away and gets frustrated and restarts they wont know)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 7, 2011

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Wagonburner posted:

Don't put the disc in any computer you care about until you know how it works. (even then don't cause when your gf, mom, brother whatever tries to use your computer while your away and gets frustrated and restarts they wont know)

This sounds really scary and has the potential for a lot of mischief.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

you should be able to plug the externals into the laptop and do all drives at once with dban. I've never done more than 1 drive at a time but I'm lead to believe from things I've seen on the screen it works like this.

its an iso you burn to cd and boot from.

http://www.dban.org/

That's the one I was thinking of, but when I tried using it before it took several times longer than doing it directly with Vista, which makes me think it is writing over four or five times. Since I have to wipe four 1.5 tb externals that would take more than a week.

Vista took much less time, but I no longer have access to a Vista machine.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kapalama posted:

That's the one I was thinking of, but when I tried using it before it took several times longer than doing it directly with Vista, which makes me think it is writing over four or five times. Since I have to wipe four 1.5 tb externals that would take more than a week.

Vista took much less time, but I no longer have access to a Vista machine.

I think the default is 3 passes with verification on, It has lots of options for different modes, probably a single pass mode there. Or it will tell you on the screen what pass it's on, you can just shut it off after 1 is complete.

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

This sounds really scary and has the potential for a lot of mischief.

It's not like it starts automatically wiping the drive on its own, but you're only about 1 or 2 key presses away from it doing that if it gets booted up. With no "WARNING YOUR ABOUT TO DELETE EVERYTHING" scary warnings. (like if its in the drive and cd is high up in boot priority and someone restarts it)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

kapalama posted:

Unless there is an open file on you, the IRS does not keep tax records about you for more than 7 years. IANAL.

VVV Edit:you posted a link for business, which are a different matter. Personal tax records are different. Various family members have run into this issue when trying to figure out how to get records straight after coming back into the country, and the IRS has repsonded by saying they do not have records for things over 7 years old.

My bad, I don't have the personal ones but they are relatively the same. IANAL either but I have never seen anything that even implies the IRS "does not keep tax records about you for more than 7 years". I can't speak for your relatives but I know from personal experience they can produce records from 10+ years back rather quickly (relatively speaking) should they have a reason to do so.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just bought a BlueTooth adapter and a device (a mouse). How do I make the mouse permanently synced to my computer? Sometimes when I close the laptop the device has to be reconnected manually again, but other times I can open it it starts working straight away. It's the latter that I bought the drat thing for.

What causes this? Any way to make it behave?

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
Does anyone know of that eyeglass site that lets you print out actual size frames to cut out and try on? I remember seeing a site like this years ago but I can't find it despite my googling skills.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
I noticed that a tip that I wrote onto the receipt for dinner last weekend didn't get charged. I feel like a jerk but I didn't do anything wrong except not have cash. I did pay 60 bucks in cork fees. Are those treated like tips? That would make me feel better.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I found a building in my town that has no identifiable signage anywhere on the outside. No address lettering, no hours, no phone number, nothing. It used to be a car dealership years ago, so half the outside is glass and garage doors. Inside are a bunch of cars of various makes and model years. There's a small professionally printed sign on the inside of the glass door facing outward that says, "Vehicles are not for sale."

I'm guessing this is storage for repossessed vehicles, but I don't understand why they wouldn't be selling the contents if that were the case. There's a red '69 Camaro SS inside and if it's a repo I'm going to foam at the mouth. What the poo poo is this building?!

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Stupid/Small Questions.

I'm watching Shaun of the Dead and Shaun is running around with a cricket bat.

Is owning a cricket bat similar to owning a baseball bat in the USA (most kids own something like this) or is it more like a lacrosse stick (although popular usually owned by a smaller population)?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

I found a building in my town that has no identifiable signage anywhere on the outside. No address lettering, no hours, no phone number, nothing. It used to be a car dealership years ago, so half the outside is glass and garage doors. Inside are a bunch of cars of various makes and model years. There's a small professionally printed sign on the inside of the glass door facing outward that says, "Vehicles are not for sale."

I'm guessing this is storage for repossessed vehicles, but I don't understand why they wouldn't be selling the contents if that were the case. There's a red '69 Camaro SS inside and if it's a repo I'm going to foam at the mouth. What the poo poo is this building?!

Could be a repo shack, like you said. It could also be an ex-dealer's private collection.

Gimme some map coordinates or something and maybe I/we can offer a better guess.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I Google map'd it and it still shows as a car dealership there, and I get no results at all searching for what appears to be the address. I'm just going to drive down there this weekend and poke around.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

very posted:

I noticed that a tip that I wrote onto the receipt for dinner last weekend didn't get charged. I feel like a jerk but I didn't do anything wrong except not have cash. I did pay 60 bucks in cork fees. Are those treated like tips? That would make me feel better.

Is it still pending? Sometimes the tip won't show up until after the charge has come out. Otherwise you might call and mention it? I don't know about the cork fees thing.

MY QUESION: I want to get a flat screen tv. What feature do I need to look for that will prevent DVDs from looking like they're going in fast motion? I don't know how else to describe it, but older videos look like poo poo on some flat screens and I don't want that.

favoritehello
Sep 17, 2010
Here's my stupid question:

I live in a fairly dry climate. I'm going to Hawaii for a 10 day vacation.

Since the flight is long, I'd like to bring my laptop. It's got a 8-10 hour battery so it'd be perfect. Thing is, I don't want it getting ruined. How bad is the humidity and how badly will it affect my laptop?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

favoritehello posted:

Here's my stupid question:

I live in a fairly dry climate. I'm going to Hawaii for a 10 day vacation.

Since the flight is long, I'd like to bring my laptop. It's got a 8-10 hour battery so it'd be perfect. Thing is, I don't want it getting ruined. How bad is the humidity and how badly will it affect my laptop?

Unless you're planning on using it on the beach for the next 6 years or so straight, you don't need to worry about the humidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Huntersoninski posted:

MY QUESION: I want to get a flat screen tv. What feature do I need to look for that will prevent DVDs from looking like they're going in fast motion? I don't know how else to describe it, but older videos look like poo poo on some flat screens and I don't want that.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about most have a way to turn it off. My toshiba calls it "clearview" and you can turn it off.

I think what goes on there is some 120hz /240hz tvs are using some kind of dsp that actually makes up, draws on its own the "between frames" from the slower 29fps dvd signal and inserts them between 2 frames it got from the dvd player. Which combined with the fact that dvds already have some built-in weirdness to the way their frames come out anyway (3:2 pulldown) can make motion look weird.

It bugged me a bit when I first got my lcd and I'd turn it off at times, I don't notice it at all anymore. To me it looked like people didn't move naturally like they were cgi, my brother thought the same as you that it looked fast motion.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 8, 2011