Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Here's some useful resources, gleaned from the Classic Battletech forums:
Army Reports 3025: Distilled excerpts from the old House books, giving an overview of the militaries of the Successor States.
Random Mech Assignment Tables: Random mech selection tables, grounded pretty well in the fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I'll try to avoid derails from now on, sorry guys. I seem to be a major source of track-breakage.

I'm really psyched for the new Mechwarrior game now that everyone has had a turn bashing the BT canon. A reboot could be seriously exciting. I would absolutely love to see what happens in a new canon timeline where the Word of Blake Jihad didn't happen or wasn't as catastrophic. There's certainly room for lots of evolution and conflict now that the Clans are living cheek-by-jowl with the Inner Sphere. In fact I would love to see the Clan homeworlds added to the maps and see the shape of politics in a shiny new era where things aren't quite as bad as they used to be. (But of course people still fight with giant robots.)

(The 40K setting is awesome and awesomely derivative. That is all.)

I don't know where you're getting the idea that they're changing the timeline. The reboot is more about being able to reset the game mechanics and tell the story again to a new generation of players.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p2.html

quote:

But we have some great history that travels to us from the previous versions of MechWarrior, but there are also some things that were artifacts of the era and technology that was available at the time to build those games which are things that we think we really have to avoid. One of those, for instance, in terms of dealing with the types of mechs, is to make sure that each class of mech really has its own unique role on the battlefield. So a light [mech] is not just something you pilot on your way towards a medium, a heavy, and eventually an assault; that a light [mech] has a really different play dynamic, and a reason why in any larger scale game that people are going to want to take lights; the same for mediums and all the way up the scale through the four classes. So we definitely see this, especially when you get into multiplayer, but even in the single-player and co-op, which we hope to incorporate into the campaign, that it really is all based on lance dynamics...

...I'm not sure if we fully know how many different types of mechs or MechWarriors will be in the game. One thing that you did say that I really want to touch on, because I think you hit it there, is that the mechs are the stars. That's another one of those really positive aspects of going back to the timeline we're going back to. Jordan and I have talked at length about how we want to get back to a time where the mechs were so important and so valuable. For instance, the mechs may be so scarce on this planet for House Davion that the house may have the family mech, and that's been passed down for generations almost like a suit of armor.

What's really great about this game is that it looks like we're finally going to get 'proper' urban combat ala the teaser trailer.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Assuming it ever comes out.

Harmony Gold can crash and burn at this point for their insane refusal to license the designs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kenlon posted:

Here's some useful resources, gleaned from the Classic Battletech forums:
Army Reports 3025: Distilled excerpts from the old House books, giving an overview of the militaries of the Successor States.
Random Mech Assignment Tables: Random mech selection tables, grounded pretty well in the fluff.

Just as long as Mech of the Week doesn't start stealing my mojo.

You all saw how much AIB hurt me last time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I don't know where you're getting the idea that they're changing the timeline.

Oh I don't think they will, I just kinda took the idea of a reboot and ran with it. I think most people aren't terribly thrilled with the post-Tukkayid timeline.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 7, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Meh, the best era is the War of 3039. Awesome historical SB, I recommend it so highly.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Polaron posted:

Harmony Gold can crash and burn at this point for their insane refusal to license the designs.

Did Harmony Gold ever give an actual reason they were holding up the designs? It seems almost like they're just hamstringing the project in order to sink another company. I mean, at this point I'd just say gently caress it and put in new and totally original mech designs so that the drat game could finally go forward. Holding out for the Unseen is just going to waste a ton of money.

vvvvv: Well, at least it's a reason. But seriously, HG needs to actually do something with the Macross/Robotech franchise. It's been too long and I need more Veritechs in my life.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 8, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Did Harmony Gold ever give an actual reason they were holding up the designs?

Answer one: Because they're dicks.

Answer two: Because they're the legal license holders and prefer to retain absolute control over their property. They're likely afraid (and rightly) that giving any ground would weaken their hold on said license, which is basically the only thing they have that's worth even half a poo poo.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Defiance Industries posted:

Meh, the best era is the War of 3039. Awesome historical SB, I recommend it so highly.

The 4th was better. The 4th Succession War Military Atlas was amazingly cool - especially for the assorted acts of heroism on the part of the CCAF as the FedRats swarmed us. If only Max hadn't been bugfuck and Justin had really been on our side, Ridzik's counterattacks would have worked.
:negative:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Tempest_56 posted:

Answer one: Because they're dicks.

Answer two: Because they're the legal license holders and prefer to retain absolute control over their property. They're likely afraid (and rightly) that giving any ground would weaken their hold on said license, which is basically the only thing they have that's worth even half a poo poo.

But...it's copyright, not trademark. They're going to keep the IP for ages since Battletech isn't anywhere near being genericized. Is the law somewhere outside the USA so completely different on copyrights that you have to vigorously enforce them lest you lose them?

E: VVVVVVVV Fair enough

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 8, 2011

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
The last thing I'm gonna say on this subject is that, after thinking about it, Harmony is most likely trying to passive-aggressively bully its way into getting some royalties out of FASA. Which is, as Tempest said, a dick thing to do.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kenlon posted:

The 4th was better. The 4th Succession War Military Atlas was amazingly cool - especially for the assorted acts of heroism on the part of the CCAF as the FedRats swarmed us. If only Max hadn't been bugfuck and Justin had really been on our side, Ridzik's counterattacks would have worked.
:negative:

The 4th War is a story of "biggest guy kicks the poo poo out of littlest guy and nothing littlest guy tries helps him much at all." I just can't get into it. Despite what efforts the CCAF made it was basically an unending string of victories for Davion until ComStar pulled him off the CC.

Plus, 3039 has reintroduced SL tech but it is stupid rare. Let's you have "boss" enemies in a campaign like how the Manei Domini tried to be. Also it has Caesar Steiner clapping up the 2nd Sword of Light, maintaining his Undefeated record.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Question for those who've been doing the BattleTech thing forever: I've noticed people referring to pre-Clan Invasion mechs as being "Tech Level 1" and Clan Mechs and the LostTech ComStar releases to combat them as "Tech Level 2". How many tech levels are there total? Just those two?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

W.T. Fits posted:

Question for those who've been doing the BattleTech thing forever: I've noticed people referring to pre-Clan Invasion mechs as being "Tech Level 1" and Clan Mechs and the LostTech ComStar releases to combat them as "Tech Level 2". How many tech levels are there total? Just those two?

If memory serves, there are 3 tech levels, but the third one is for zany or overly technical poo poo nobody uses.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Yeah, Tech Level 3 isn't very fun to play in, because there's really just too MANY rules to keep track of, and it often devolves into Warhammer 40K-ish 'I have the MOST special rules, therefore I win' stuff. By that point the actual combat is pretty boring, too, since while from a purely stat-based standpoint the Mechs tend to be better-designed, there's no real flaws you have to work around, which is always what I LIKED about Battletech, having to compensate for the flaws in your units by using strategy and forethought. Way more interesting than just 'my lance of perfectly-built Omnimechs attacks your lance of perfectly-built Omnimechs, keep rolling dice until one side falls over.'

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yeah, Tech Level 3 isn't very fun to play in, because there's really just too MANY rules to keep track of, and it often devolves into Warhammer 40K-ish 'I have the MOST special rules, therefore I win' stuff. By that point the actual combat is pretty boring, too, since while from a purely stat-based standpoint the Mechs tend to be better-designed, there's no real flaws you have to work around, which is always what I LIKED about Battletech, having to compensate for the flaws in your units by using strategy and forethought. Way more interesting than just 'my lance of perfectly-built Omnimechs attacks your lance of perfectly-built Omnimechs, keep rolling dice until one side falls over.'

Yeah, nobody EVER runs with all the Tech 3 rules (to give you an idea, in the current setup there's an entire rulebook dedicated to the optional rules that's over 100+ pages longer than the main rulebook, and that technically doesn't include some of them like nuke rules). Even with Megamek handling the math you'd probably have issues just working out what you want to do with them. On the other hand, I will credit Catalyst for doing a remarkably good job of hitting their stated goal of "Yes, there IS a rule for that".

As for the lostech stuff being batted around, there is one in-game quote I remember that summed it up - "Only in the Successor States can you board a starship to travel several light years then wind up riding a donkey from the starport." What gets lost varies a ton, and more importantly what does stay around tends to be not evenly spread. Pretty much every nation in the IS has a handful of important worlds with reasonable education and 20th century+ tech in common use and a whole bunch of worlds like the Federated Suns "Outback" where people are barely above subsistence farming at best. There was a reason a lance of mechs could take or hold many worlds back in the 3020s era; even in the more modern Battletech era the tech renaissance didn't make it everywhere in the IS (most of it wound up going to the war machines for the most part). And the Clans of course, being A. relatively resource poor and B. complete dicks, don't tend to give their civilian castes much beyond what they "require" either.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

They actually did away with that (very) recently and went to a different tiering system. Largely because of the late-era proliferation of new and weird toys. But to answer:
Level 1 was the stuff we've got now. More limited options meant fewer unusual rules and niche cases to remember. The fighting was slower, heat was more important and ranges were shorter.
Level 2 was the standard post-Clans stuff. A wide range of options, but fairly well balanced. Combat tended to be quicker and deadlier, but you had a lot of different things you could do and a pretty wide range of tools.
Level 3 was mostly 'this is poo poo in old sourcebooks we realized were bad ideas but we won't tell you to never use them'. It was wild and weird experimental things that almost never appeared in actual canon designs. Frequently unbalanced (both too strong and too weak), and lots of really narrow case optional rules. This is the range you start to find things like 10 ton mechs, mechanical jump boosters (read: mechs with springs on their feet) and laser heat sinks (which make you cooler by LASERS).

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Tempest_56 posted:

They actually did away with that (very) recently and went to a different tiering system. Largely because of the late-era proliferation of new and weird toys. But to answer:
Level 1 was the stuff we've got now. More limited options meant fewer unusual rules and niche cases to remember. The fighting was slower, heat was more important and ranges were shorter.
Level 2 was the standard post-Clans stuff. A wide range of options, but fairly well balanced. Combat tended to be quicker and deadlier, but you had a lot of different things you could do and a pretty wide range of tools.
Level 3 was mostly 'this is poo poo in old sourcebooks we realized were bad ideas but we won't tell you to never use them'. It was wild and weird experimental things that almost never appeared in actual canon designs. Frequently unbalanced (both too strong and too weak), and lots of really narrow case optional rules. This is the range you start to find things like 10 ton mechs, mechanical jump boosters (read: mechs with springs on their feet) and laser heat sinks (which make you cooler by LASERS).

Wait, I thought laster heat sinks were just normal heat sinks. (See: Night Gyr)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

No the Night Gyr was basically an experiment in Laser Heat Sinks, and designed as a test-bed for them. Then they found out that they really weren't as awesome as they thought (basically not producing any better results than the regular Double Heat Sink) and phased it out.

As for the difference, normal heat sinks use radiators and heat-conductive fluids, laser heat sinks use lasers to convert heat exhaust into a higher energy state, converting gas into light, and then expelling it in a garish display out through various polished surfaces. :science:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 8, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

raverrn posted:

In practical terms, yes. But Maximum Tech gave additional rules for L3 laser heat sinks - basically, it trades a slightly lower chance of ammo explosions for not being affected by water/weather conditions and making you easier to see at night.

The idea is still idiotic. You fire your laser to generate heat, then your mech's laser heatsinks turn that heat into more lasers which make you cooler. It's goddamn stupid.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
So I reinstalled Mech Commander 2 because of this thread, and it bugged in the middle of the Atlas saving mission, everything was going great but one of the mechs seemed to get stuck on the geometry I guess, probably cause I had it jumping around constantly still was very frustrating.

The thing that annoys me is that they changed the names of some of the equipment, "Heavy Autocannon" for instance still it's a fun blast from the past.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

The 4th War is a story of "biggest guy kicks the poo poo out of littlest guy and nothing littlest guy tries helps him much at all." I just can't get into it. Despite what efforts the CCAF made it was basically an unending string of victories for Davion until ComStar pulled him off the CC.

Believe me, I know. That just makes those moments where we gave the FedRats bloody noses that much sweeter.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

In practical terms, yes. But Maximum Tech gave additional rules for L3 laser heat sinks - basically, it trades a slightly lower chance of ammo explosions for not being affected by water/weather conditions and making you easier to see at night.

The idea is still idiotic. You fire your laser to generate heat, then your mech's laser heatsinks turn that heat into more lasers which make you cooler. It's goddamn stupid.

Eh, I'd take poor concept items that are basically just quirks over the sort of hard-line realism rules that some of the aperture CBT types propose. Bad idea, but at least it's not a total game changer like Tandem Charge and mag pulse warheads.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Tempest_56 posted:

To quote that awesome Half-Life LP from a while back, "I thought this was Battletech, not Exalted." Jesus, even after reading the wiki entry on those things I still can't figure how laser heat sinks are supposed to work. Though a 10 ton mech at least approaches the realm of real-life plausibility (not practicality though).

But seriously, wouldn't a 10-tonner be better off just being a tank? I can't imagine what you could even fit on the drat thing. Maybe a Laser and a heat sink?

Mr. Despair posted:

Proof that Laser Cooling is actually a thing.

Well, I'll be damned...:monocle:

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 8, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pretty much. You are way better off just building a hovertank at that weight.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Veyrall posted:

To quote that awesome Half-Life LP from a while back, "I thought this was Battletech, not Exalted." Jesus, even after reading the wiki entry on those things I still can't figure how laser heat sinks are supposed to work. Though a 10 ton mech at least approaches the realm of real-life plausibility (not practicality though).

But seriously, wouldn't a 10-tonner be better off just being a tank? I can't imagine what you could even fit on the drat thing. Maybe a Laser and a heat sink?

It'd probably be good as something of a light scout for extremely rough terrain. A jeep or humvee analog, as it were.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tempest_56 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_cooling Laser cooling is awesome, albeit unpractical for what they're using it for.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

It'd probably be good as something of a light scout for extremely rough terrain. A jeep or humvee analog, as it were.

I think you'd cover more ground with a jumping 20-toner myself. Half-ton JJ are too heavy for an ultralight to mount sufficiently.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mr. Despair posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_cooling Laser cooling is awesome, albeit unpractical for what they're using it for.

People often forget that heat is just another form of electromagnetic radiation.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Longinus00 posted:

People often forget that heat is just another form of electromagnetic radiation.

It's 12:30 in the morning and I'm tired and I don't really want to derail further, so imagine I wrote a thousand word post chastising you for conflating infrared radiation with a thermodynamic quantity such as the average kinetic speed of molecules in a gas. And then forget it, because it's a dumb argument.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mukaikubo posted:

It's 12:30 in the morning and I'm tired and I don't really want to derail further, so imagine I wrote a thousand word post chastising you for conflating infrared radiation with a thermodynamic quantity such as the average kinetic speed of molecules in a gas. And then forget it, because it's a dumb argument.

Yea, sorry. I should have been clearer. I meant that dissipation of heat also occurs via electromagnetic radiation. :saddowns:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tempest_56 posted:

:words:and laser heat sinks (which make you cooler by LASERS).

Of course, don't lasers make everything cool? :rimshot:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Pretty much. You are way better off just building a hovertank at that weight.
You can't apply charge rules to a hovertank. A 10 ton battlemech with 0 armor and the biggest XL engine you can stuff in it is essentially a man-driven torpedo.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Hovertanks can ram. Which does damage on the kick table. And only on one leg if you set the angle right.

Those Jedgars we saw last mission can be holy terrors if you use them like this; you can rip legs off assault mechs. Though if you do that you probably deserve to be punched.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Zaodai posted:

Isn't a ten ton mech just a protomech?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DatonKallandor posted:

Depends on the source material. In one of the old, old computer games certain special units we may be seeing in the future were also classified as 10 tons..

But that is by no means canon, obviously.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DatonKallandor posted:

Those have their own special construction rules. 10-ton mechs used normal mech designs but frankly, their super-low weight threw everything off, so they're now illegal.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Will Battletech ever introduce aliens to stir things up and how do you feel about that.

Zerglings versus a Firestarter :smug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sair posted:

Hovertanks can ram. Which does damage on the kick table. And only on one leg if you set the angle right.

Those Jedgars we saw last mission can be holy terrors if you use them like this; you can rip legs off assault mechs. Though if you do that you probably deserve to be punched.
One of the local guys got the rules on vehicle skids changed when they went to a tournament and abused Savannah Masters and concrete skids.

Zaodai posted:

Depends on the source material. In one of the old, old computer games certain special units we may be seeing in the future were also classified as 10 tons..

But that is by no means canon, obviously.
It was just for mechanical purposes, you can't fit the guns on them if they're at the official weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arquinsiel posted:

One of the local guys got the rules on vehicle skids changed when they went to a tournament and abused Savannah Masters and concrete skids.

Details, please?

• Locked thread