Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

In that video, it looks like the kid doesn't want to go into the car. He's holding onto the car door resisting being taken away, at first I thought it was a medical transport, I guess its some kind of police?
edit: And whats with so many photographers being there? It's all very suspicious.

It wouldn't be altogether shocking for the larger organization to call some journalists and say "hey some kids in our youth branch are going to be throwing rocks at X location, you should come check it out" because it would suit everyone involved. Think about it, the US does it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

dakana posted:

Just a warning: these links contain images of two kids getting hit by a car. They lived and everything, but it's kind of distressing.

This is kind of hosed up.

This photo in the Boston Globe Year in Photos:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/2010_in_photos_part_3_of_3.html#photo20
is captioned: An Israeli motorist runs down a masked Palestinian youth who was standing among a group of youngsters throwing stones at Israeli cars on October 8, 2010 in the mostly Arab east Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan. (ILIA YEFIMOVICH/AFP/Getty Images)

This is kind of bullshit. If you watch the video of this incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwDt8C4LVU it's pretty clear to see that the motorist was trying to get out of there, and starts driving away, initially swerving out of the way of the people throwing rocks at the car. It swerves back when it's about to hit the curb, and that's when it hits the kids, who are running directly at the car. As a photojournalist, the caption "runs down a masked Palestinian youth who was standing among a group of youngsters" is straight-up lying.

I'm not making any statements about the Palestinian - Israeli conflict, but to say a car is running down someone who was "standing among a group" is simply not stating the truth. Maybe the photographer was in shock when they wrote the caption; I know I'd be pretty messed up after witnessing that. But this caption clearly makes the insinuation that the driver purposely ran down this kid, and that kind of statement can't be made in this situation. It's violating journalistic ethics.

The whole thing is bullshit not because of any vagaries around this individual incident, but because of the larger policies that cause these kind of interactions on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. It's like trying to photograph a single mugging in a poor neighborhood of the US and trying to draw some kind of lesson without keeping in mind all the policies that create wealth inequality, lack of jobs, education inequality, etc. With the right angle you can capture almost any incident and make it full of emotion for one side or the other.

I'm sure there are tons of photos floating around making US soldiers in Iraq look like heroes and the Iraqis like ignorant savages. That doesn't mean those photos show us anything about the morality or justification of that invasion.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

The whole thing is bullshit not because of any vagaries around this individual incident, but because of the larger policies that cause these kind of interactions on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. It's like trying to photograph a single mugging in a poor neighborhood of the US and trying to draw some kind of lesson without keeping in mind all the policies that create wealth inequality, lack of jobs, education inequality, etc. With the right angle you can capture almost any incident and make it full of emotion for one side or the other.

I'm sure there are tons of photos floating around making US soldiers in Iraq look like heroes and the Iraqis like ignorant savages. That doesn't mean those photos show us anything about the morality or justification of that invasion.

flawsofphotojournalism.txt

You can probably find photos on the same memory card of some photojournalists that could be used by both sides of the issue.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's almost as if photographs are not representative of reality or something.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Reichstag posted:

It's almost as if photographs are not representative of reality or something.

Woah woah woah, let's not say anything we can't take back.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

I HATE CARS posted:

stuff about people getting hit by a car

Great user name / thread topic convergence.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
NPPA Code of Ethics

Visual journalists and those who manage visual news productions are accountable for upholding the following standards in their daily work:

1. Be accurate and comprehensive in the representation of subjects.
2. Resist being manipulated by staged photo opportunities.
3. Be complete and provide context when photographing or recording subjects. Avoid stereotyping individuals and groups. Recognize and work to avoid presenting one's own biases in the work.
4. Treat all subjects with respect and dignity. Give special consideration to vulnerable subjects and compassion to victims of crime or tragedy.
Intrude on private moments of grief only when the public has an overriding and justifiable need to see.
5. While photographing subjects do not intentionally contribute to, alter, or seek to alter or influence events.
6. Editing should maintain the integrity of the photographic images' content and context. Do not manipulate images or add or alter sound in any way that can mislead viewers or misrepresent subjects.
7. Do not pay sources or subjects or reward them materially for information or participation.
8. Do not accept gifts, favors, or compensation from those who might seek to influence coverage.
9. Do not intentionally sabotage the efforts of other journalists.

Ideally, visual journalists should:

1. Strive to ensure that the public's business is conducted in public. Defend the rights of access for all journalists.
2. Think proactively, as a student of psychology, sociology, politics and art to develop a unique vision and presentation. Work with a voracious appetite for current events and contemporary visual media.
3. Strive for total and unrestricted access to subjects, recommend alternatives to shallow or rushed opportunities, seek a diversity of viewpoints, and work to show unpopular or unnoticed points of view.
4. Avoid political, civic and business involvements or other employment that compromise or give the appearance of compromising one's own journalistic independence.
5. Strive to be unobtrusive and humble in dealing with subjects.
6. Respect the integrity of the photographic moment.
7. Strive by example and influence to maintain the spirit and high standards expressed in this code. When confronted with situations in which the proper action is not clear, seek the counsel of those who exhibit the highest standards of the profession. Visual journalists should continuously study their craft and the ethics that guide it.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Okay, if I'm going to go absolutely psychoballistic with my shooting I need to either A: Bring my netbook so I can offload my pictures in between shoots, or B: Get a bigger memory card.

Because I did neither, I did C: Went through my camera, deleted semi-crappy RAWs, then shot in the smallest-megapixel JPGs available.

:negative:

e:

ExecuDork posted:

You could just buy another, not necessarily bigger, memory card. Surely swapping cards takes less time and aggravation than deleting files?

True that. I'm trying to weigh whether or not I should get another CF card (or SD-to-CF adapter + SD card so I don't have to worry as much about upgrading bodies) vs. bringing my netbook to places where I know I'll burn through pictures like crazy. Truth to be told, this is honestly the first time I've managed to actually run out of space. I guess my past sprees could never really count as going ballistic compared to today.

Casull fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 6, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Whitezombi posted:

NPPA Code of Ethics

Visual journalists and those who manage visual news productions are accountable for upholding the following standards in their daily work:

3. Be complete and provide context when photographing or recording subjects. Avoid stereotyping individuals and groups. Recognize and work to avoid presenting one's own biases in the work.
4. Treat all subjects with respect and dignity. Give special consideration to vulnerable subjects and compassion to victims of crime or tragedy.
Intrude on private moments of grief only when the public has an overriding and justifiable need to see.
5. While photographing subjects do not intentionally contribute to, alter, or seek to alter or influence events.
6. Editing should maintain the integrity of the photographic images' content and context. Do not manipulate images or add or alter sound in any way that can mislead viewers or misrepresent subjects.
7. Do not pay sources or subjects or reward them materially for information or participation.
8. Do not accept gifts, favors, or compensation from those who might seek to influence coverage.

1. Strive to ensure that the public's business is conducted in public. Defend the rights of access for all journalists.
2. Think proactively, as a student of psychology, sociology, politics and art to develop a unique vision and presentation. Work with a voracious appetite for current events and contemporary visual media.
3. Strive for total and unrestricted access to subjects, recommend alternatives to shallow or rushed opportunities, seek a diversity of viewpoints, and work to show unpopular or unnoticed points of view.
4. Avoid political, civic and business involvements or other employment that compromise or give the appearance of compromising one's own journalistic independence.
7. Strive by example and influence to maintain the spirit and high standards expressed in this code. When confronted with situations in which the proper action is not clear, seek the counsel of those who exhibit the highest standards of the profession. Visual journalists should continuously study their craft and the ethics that guide it.

And yet http://solport.com/resources/Liberate%20Iraq/Saddam%20statue%20falls%20-%20Reuters.JPG

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Casull posted:

Okay, if I'm going to go absolutely psychoballistic with my shooting I need to either A: Bring my netbook so I can offload my pictures in between shoots, or B: Get a bigger memory card.

Because I did neither, I did C: Went through my camera, deleted semi-crappy RAWs, then shot in the smallest-megapixel JPGs available.

You could just buy another, not necessarily bigger, memory card. Surely swapping cards takes less time and aggravation than deleting files?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Casull posted:

e:

True that. I'm trying to weigh whether or not I should get another CF card (or SD-to-CF adapter + SD card so I don't have to worry as much about upgrading bodies) vs. bringing my netbook to places where I know I'll burn through pictures like crazy. Truth to be told, this is honestly the first time I've managed to actually run out of space. I guess my past sprees could never really count as going ballistic compared to today.

It's not like this is 2003. Memory is cheap, just buy some more.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

NPPA Code of Ethics

I'd imagine that almost every photojournalist has broken one if not more of those guidelines.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Casull posted:

e:

Or: shoot less, choose more carefully, think more and you might find you like your shots a lot better. I'd rather have 5 glorious raws than 100 tiny small jpegs, but that's me.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Paragon8 posted:

I'd imagine that almost every photojournalist has broken one if not more of those guidelines.

Absolutely. I worked in the newspaper business for years. I was asked to alter photos all the time and I refused. One guy even told me he manipulated a scene before shooting.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

Absolutely. I worked in the newspaper business for years. I was asked to alter photos all the time and I refused. One guy even told me he manipulated a scene before shooting.

Weegee was known to stage some of his scenes. He was the epitome of the classic black and white crime scene photographer, but he had a flair for the dramatic and one hell of an eye. He was more artist than photojournalist.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Just to be fair here - the photographer doesn't always write the cutline. They'll supply a basic cutline (maybe it was "A driver hits a Palenstian teenage gangster" which is completely accurate), and uses names and places when available.

The editors usually stylize the cutline further, to either give it more detail or just make it more powerful. Usually they weren't actually at the event in question so their cutlines may not be completely accurate.

Edit - Granted you are seeing more occurrences of photographers writing the full cutline, since online is often just "download from camera upload to site!" But I'm willing to bet that particular one was heavily edited, it doesn't read like a photographers caption.

subx fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 6, 2011

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Casull posted:

You are shooting on an XT right? I have a 1gb Sandisk CF I'll give you if you want it. It'll only cost a dollar to ship it, on me if you are in the states.

Or you can get an 8gb from Amazon for 25$, and probably rarely run out of space with an XT :

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-CompactFlash-Memory-CF-8GB/dp/B001NXDB4A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1296962351&sr=1-1

ease fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 6, 2011

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

nonanone posted:

Or: shoot less, choose more carefully, think more and you might find you like your shots a lot better. I'd rather have 5 glorious raws than 100 tiny small jpegs, but that's me.

True! I thought about doing that today with the rest of my RAWs, but there were people expecting me to take a ton of pictures, and I hadn't anticipated shooting that much. I should totally do this when I'm doing a shoot for practice, though.

ease posted:

I was looking up disks earlier today, and I was wondering if I should try my luck. I currently have the 4gb version of that card and it hasn't failed on me yet, but it looks like it depends on how lucky I am. I probably should spend a bit extra and get a Sandisk or (insert your favorite brand here)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
My crappy MacBook got all jacked up and I need the IRC server information again if someone has it please.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

benisntfunny posted:

My crappy MacBook got all jacked up and I need the IRC server information again if someone has it please.

irc.synirc.net #creatives

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lenin is such an rear end, the 7D pricing isn't proletariat-friendly at all :(

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Click here for the full 655x995 image.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I should haul a ladder down to the Lenin statue in Fremont and toss my Mamiya around his neck.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Does anyone have that chart of how good you are at photography vs how good you think you are at photography over time handy?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Gendo posted:

Does anyone have that chart of how good you are at photography vs how good you think you are at photography over time handy?

You mean the one from popular forum 4chan.org?

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Reichstag posted:

You mean the one from popular forum 4chan.org?
:smug:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ gently caress

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Thanks guys :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:sigh: The zoom ring on my new Tamron broke today.

At least the Packers won.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Did anyone else see the guy at the super bowl with a huge telephoto (minimum 400 2.8, maybe bigger) on a monopod slung on his shoulder, taking photos of postgame with a pink point-and-shoot?

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
Yeah, I wondered if it was someone's idea of a sight gag or something. Looked almost like he was wearing a tux, too.
I'll bet he was a game photographer's assistant or something really though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was a little disappointed they didn't show the POV of the camera guy who got run over in the first half. He got knocked on his rear end so hard, the announcers commented it. I forget who it was that plowed him over, but even he looked to be in pain from the collision.

I know it's the Superbowl and all, but it seemed like there was way too many photographers at that game. The end zones were a wall of red vests.

I also found it kind of lame how the first people that got to Aaron Rodgers were photographers.. some of those guys were probably running a 3 second 40 yard dash to get to him.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

xzzy posted:

I was a little disappointed they didn't show the POV of the camera guy who got run over in the first half. He got knocked on his rear end so hard, the announcers commented it. I forget who it was that plowed him over, but even he looked to be in pain from the collision.

I know it's the Superbowl and all, but it seemed like there was way too many photographers at that game. The end zones were a wall of red vests.

I also found it kind of lame how the first people that got to Aaron Rodgers were photographers.. some of those guys were probably running a 3 second 40 yard dash to get to him.

I really wanted to see that slow mo replay of the hit on that camera guy - could not believe the cut away from replay right as we were about to see it. hopefully it pops up on youtube. but there really was a ridiculous number of photographers there. out of just the guys with media access, i want to know the total number of pictures taken during the game. i'm sure it's mindboggling.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
On Facebook I saw one US Presswire photog say he shot over 7000 frames the day of the Super Bowl. Multiple agencies each with multiple shooters, plus publications, plus freelancers... there were a fuckton of photos, approximately.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Anybody seen the Looxcie bluetooth video camera? Kind of an appealing idea, having a camera always recording - you hit a button to record the previous 30 seconds or something. I'm thinking it'd be cool as a still camera for those times when you wished you had a camera. Granted the sensor/lens is likely completely poo poo but in good light, maybe it would be usable...?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

dakana posted:

Did anyone else see the guy at the super bowl with a huge telephoto (minimum 400 2.8, maybe bigger) on a monopod slung on his shoulder, taking photos of postgame with a pink point-and-shoot?

Hah, I saw this and had to point it out to everyone watching the Superbowl with me :D I'm pretty sure he was just an assistant though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pretty sure he was just an assistant for someone, but I saw that too.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
just found out that loving Hotmail has been purging my older e-mails. as in, everything before Sep '10 is gone. bye bye thousands of dollars of photography-related tax writeoffs godfuckingdamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

surgical scar posted:

just found out that loving Hotmail has been purging my older e-mails. as in, everything before Sep '10 is gone. bye bye thousands of dollars of photography-related tax writeoffs godfuckingdamnit
hahaha what the gently caress. But then again, don't use hotmail.